Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2009, 20:53   #76
BHPian

kpbhatt, The plan sounds good ! get ready to have a blast of time. No LCD or Plasma can recreate the cinematic experience that a projector can deliver. Cheers!!
Old 7th January 2009, 16:10   #77
BHPian

Epson / Acer / Benq Projectors

kpbhatt:

Since you've already had demos of the Epson W6 projector, how good was it when you tested it ? Image sharpness / contrast / black levels / overall quality ? I made some enquiries here in Chennai and I've got a quote of 47k for the Epson W6 all inclusive (taxes etc).

I've also been offered another Acer model, 1166 for 38k all inclusive. However this one has only a resolution of 800x600 making it a 480p unit, though it comes with HDMI.

The BenQ MP512ST is also being offered to me by the dealer and it is quoted at 42k all inclusive. Again, though this is a short throw unit with HDMI, it is also of 800x600 resolution. Not sure how good these units would be for movies.

Others:

Optoma does not seem to be available in Chennai with bill and warranty. However InFocus, Epson, BenQ and Acer are not a problem to get. Panasonic as well (model PT-AX200 which has good reviews).

Our hall size in our new apartment is 22x11 feet while the seating distance would be around 14 feet. The ceiling mount point to be used is about 11 feet from the wall (8 feet width wall) where I plan to project the image. Either the plain white wall can be used or maybe I would get an 8x6 feet pull down 16:9 ratio screen for 7k.

Mainly we would watch DVDs (English, Tamil and Hindi) and DTH (not decided between Tata Sky and Airtel). I would be getting a Denon 1509 receiver mostly, with a good speaker package. DVD Player mostly would be a new Pioneer DV-610.

Considering the above, what kind of a projector should I be looking for ? The dealer in Chennai (Cressida AV Zone, Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai) says it's not worth spending too much on a very high end projector now, as prices are bound to come down. He says I can go in for a low end or somewhat mid range projector now (800x600, 1024x768 or 1280x720 resolution), and then upgrade 2-3 years down the line when much better projectors are available for the same or even lower prices than today. The sales attitude and the way my wife and I were treated at this showroom in Chennai was very good. I have already recommended this place to one of my friends looking for a home theatre system.

Cressida AV Zone, Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai has offered me the following choices (all prices with taxes etc):

InFocus IN 2102 - 40k
InFocus X9 - 71k
BenQ MP512ST - 42k (MP522ST has better specs)
Acer P1166 - 38k
Epson EB-W6 - 48k

Ceiling mount kit - 2.5k
VGA, SVHS, Composite, power cabling to wall - 4k
HDMI cabling - extra 5 to 6k

7x5 ft pull down screen - 6.5k (4:3 format)

Yamaha YHT-195 HT system - 24k

I've attached PDF brochures/spec sheets for all the models except the BenQ MP512ST as it was not available on the website. The MP512ST can be viewed using the following link:

BenQ India - Consumer Electronics

The BenQ MP522ST also has better specs, most of the other features being the same as the MP512ST. Would this be a better bet ?

Look forward to all your views on the above.

Thanks and warm regards,
Venkat
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ACER AUS P1166+ESS+ver3.2.pdf (400.8 KB, 721 views)
File Type: pdf EPSON EB-X6_S6_W6_spec.pdf (326.8 KB, 611 views)
File Type: pdf InFocus_IN2102_IN2104_IN2106_Datasheet_en.pdf (373.7 KB, 581 views)
File Type: pdf InFocus_X9_Datasheet_en.pdf (237.3 KB, 454 views)
Old 7th January 2009, 19:12   #78
BHPian

Hi kpbhatt,

Since you are checking out InFocus, have you checked out the Infocus series IN74 / IN76 / IN82 ++ etc...

Cause I think these are primarily a Home Theater projector line.

-Fillmore
Old 7th January 2009, 19:22   #79
BHPian

Hi Fillmore

That's true. The IN7x and IN8x series are designed more for home theatre applications but in India, these models are very expensive. Further, the IN7x series is quite old, probably even discontinued now. The IN82 is a 1080p DLP projector and one of the most expensive, probably costing upwards of 1.5 lakh.

Any inputs from you on my queries in my previous post on the projectors ? Look forward to the same soon.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited by VSG12777 : 7th January 2009 at 19:23.
Old 7th January 2009, 22:21   #80
BHPian

Hi Venkat,

Sorry don't have any inputs to your questions. Basically I did not research much into projectors.

I am in no hurry and will wait for some more time, But when I get one I'll get a 1080p projector. Maybe a panasonic PT-AE2000 / 3000.

Till then will watch this thread.

currently I am content with my existing 720p LCD tv.
Old 8th January 2009, 06:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Hi kpbhatt,

Since you are checking out InFocus, have you checked out the Infocus series IN74 / IN76 / IN82 ++ etc...

Cause I think these are primarily a Home Theater projector line.

-Fillmore
hi fillmore -- the Infocus ones are way above my budget ; another negative is that they source and service at Mumbai -- there aren't any outlets at Pune.
Old 8th January 2009, 06:16   #82
BHPian

Venkat -- you have narrowed down the options well ; however I would suggest do not go for a data projector. All Benq projectors are indeed data projectors than multimedia or home projectors. Also do not consider VGA resolution ( 800*600) or 480p models.

There are 720p entry level models ( e.g W6) which can upscale to a 1080p signal ( there could be a quality loss in signal though). Or you can invest in a upscaling DVD player like Pioneer. i would suggest to go for a entry level 720p model. take your time -- the prices are bound to go southward soon.
Old 8th January 2009, 13:03   #83
BHPian

@kpbhatt:

Point taken. Shall look more towards a 720p projector. Optoma HD65 is tempting too, as it's available for Rs. 35k in US/UK/Aus. It's 1280x720 with HDMI etc and the reviews are also good. But I can't find a dealer for the same in Chennai.

I am not keen on a 1080p unit (projector/plasma/lcd tv) since it's well known that for normal viewing distances, it's hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

However since you have had a demo of the Epson W6, I'd like to know how good it is, since the specs are pretty good and so is the price. I am being told however that the lamp life is not that good in LCD projectors and that pixelation can be seen. Is this so ? How did you test the Epson W6 when you had a demo ? What kind of stuff did you play through it ?

As for the DVD player, I plan to get a Pioneer DV 610 which has HDMI and 1080p upscaling. Not planning to move to full HD blu ray for at least another 1 or 1.5 yrs till prices come down.

Look forward to your inputs on the above. Thanks !

@fillmore:

Cool man. Who knows - maybe even I would settle for a good old Panasonic or LG 42 inch HD ready plasma for 45-50k. Let's see. The lamp life and replacement cost is what is making me a bit uncomfortable about projectors, though the possible image size of 80-120 inches from the projectors is very tempting.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 8th January 2009, 21:38   #84
BHPian

Venkat, refer my post 73 for the content played on the projector. I have also attached the spec sheet -- the lamp life is 4000 hrs in eco mode and 3000 hrs in regular mode. The cost of the lamp today is 12K( it was 18K when i first checked online in June 08). I calculated it for an avg of 5 hrs( higher side) usage of the projector, I am good for 2 yrs before i have to replace the lamp. Epson is offering 2 yrs onsite warranty with 4 month intervals of servicing and filter cleanup at no extra cost.
Old 9th January 2009, 08:58   #85
BHPian

@Venkat,

Regarding your interest in the Optoma HD65

I'm sure you already checked this out, But just in case you didn't
Optoma India direct dealership is currently available only in Mumbai & Secunderabad.
::: Welcome to Optoma Asia :::

Probably if you contact them, they might have links with some generic Chennai based dealers.

But I guess its priced at close to 69k in India.

I also saw an ebay.in sale for this
eBay India: Optoma DLP Projector HD-65 (item 260342782143 end time 13-Jan-2009 11:01:45 IST)

-Fillmore
Old 10th January 2009, 09:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSG12777 View Post
@kpbhatt:
I am not keen on a 1080p unit (projector/plasma/lcd tv) since it's well known that for normal viewing distances, it's hard to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.
This is true only for screens below 50". With a projector its a bigger screen and there will be a noticeable difference in image quality.

This is given that you are streaming HD content. Maybe through a Blu ray player Or a HD n/w media player streaming HD content.
NOT any unscaled material (in my personal opinion) So far I have not seen unscaled material meeting the same quality as original HD source.
Old 12th January 2009, 13:45   #87
BHPian

Fillmore:

You have a point there. Projectors give out much bigger screen sizes than 50" but once again, the viewing distance does come into the picture doesn't it ? Oh well - I guess I will initially go in for a 720p projector (1280x720) like the Epson W6 or Optoma HD65, and get on to a 1080p model a year or so later when prices are lower. Blu-ray title & player prices would also be lower then. That would be the best time to get on to the 1080p bandwagon in my opinion. Now, it's for early adopters and specifically for those who can afford it. 1080p projectors are just too expensive now.

Thanks for your input !

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 9th August 2009, 10:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Bump

My 42" CRT needs replacement and was toying with getting a Panny Plasma or Sony Bravia but am slowly veering towards a projector to play the usual i.e. Tata Sky as well as DVDs etc.

I read through this thread and noticed that at the time this thread stopped some eight months ago, a lot of new products were expected and many were expecting a price drop. Please post any updates as well as recommendations for a good projector.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
Old 11th August 2009, 14:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
My 42" CRT needs replacement and was toying with getting a Panny Plasma or Sony Bravia but am slowly veering towards a projector to play the usual i.e. Tata Sky as well as DVDs etc.

I read through this thread and noticed that at the time this thread stopped some eight months ago, a lot of new products were expected and many were expecting a price drop. Please post any updates as well as recommendations for a good projector.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
have a few updates -- have to get the snaps taken and upload them for epson W6 3lcd projector and also update on the pricing
Old 11th August 2009, 19:36   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

OT: 42" crt?? woah!! thats kewl, which brand sir? could we have some pics please?

coming back to the topic, wouldnt you need a really dark room to play the projector constantly for tata sky?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks