Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2016, 12:25   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Home Theatre Projector thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
I would suggest going for CL720D because 720p resolution is bare minimum for projectors these days and with 3000 lumens it would ensure good brightness levels., also be careful to check if you are getting the original Excelvan CL720D projector when buying from India
Thank you, I was thinking the same. I am planning to buy it from gearbest. As for the brightness, most reviews seem to indicate its often grossly exaggerated by the Chinese manufacturer's. Let's see.
Old 11th December 2016, 23:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Room size is 12x10 and I have space to project on the shorter side only. So viewing distance is going to be approx 7-8 feet. I am not looking for a large image but anything from the 40-50" should be fine.

Any first hand experience with any of these?
Given the viewing distance and If you are looking at a screen size of 40 - 50 " then an LED TV would be a better bet. You will not have to worry about ambient light / HDMI wiring / the Projector screen etc..

My 2 cents is a projector makes sense only if you are looking at > 60".

Don't want to discourage you though, your call in the end.
Old 12th December 2016, 11:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
I am in the same boat and toying with the idea of getting a LED projector instead of a 2nd TV. Mainly because they are cheaper than the regular DLP ones. I intend to play content directly from the HDD or internet, will not be getting another STB.

I have shortlisted cheaper models based on reviews I have read so far. One is UC46 (native resolution 480p) for ~5k and CL720D (native resolution 720p) for ~10k. Since I haven't owned projectors in the past, I am wary of putting in more as I am not sure if the setup will work out. Can upgrade later if I find these lacking.

Room size is 12x10 and I have space to project on the shorter side only. So viewing distance is going to be approx 7-8 feet. I am not looking for a large image but anything from the 40-50" should be fine.

The first benefit of having a projector is having a big screen. A 50 inch screen is small even for TV these days. Given the size of the room and the amount of short throw projectors available, I am sure you can easily aim for a 100" screen size - from a distance of 3-5 feet. And do not worry about the distance and the impact on eyes, as projections being reflected light, will not harm the eyes in any ways.

Go for the biggest screen size possible, else stick with a 50" LED.
Old 12th December 2016, 14:25   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I do. The same uc thing(unic,ithink).
It's passable in resolution, the size of the picture makes up for the loss. Coupled with a 2.1 speaker system, I watched the entire motogp 2016 season on it. However, it needs a completely dark room.
For 5k, the whole setup is one you can give a try to to see if you should invest in heavier equipment.
Old 12th December 2016, 15:20   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Given the viewing distance and If you are looking at a screen size of 40 - 50 " then an LED TV would be a better bet. You will not have to worry about ambient light / HDMI wiring / the Projector screen etc..

My 2 cents is a projector makes sense only if you are looking at > 60".

Don't want to discourage you though, your call in the end.
Thank you! The TV thing did cross my mind but am more inclined towards the projector due to the small form factor. It can be tucked away when not in use. For the TV, not only would I have to invest more, but will also need to get the wiring altered in my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
The first benefit of having a projector is having a big screen. A 50 inch screen is small even for TV these days. Given the size of the room and the amount of short throw projectors available, I am sure you can easily aim for a 100" screen size - from a distance of 3-5 feet. And do not worry about the distance and the impact on eyes, as projections being reflected light, will not harm the eyes in any ways.

Go for the biggest screen size possible, else stick with a 50" LED.
I guess the problem with projecting a huge image from these basic Chinese projectors is that they don't have a good native resolution, and a bigger image might not look all that 'sharp'. Hence the comment about 40-50" being sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I do. The same uc thing(unic,ithink).
It's passable in resolution, the size of the picture makes up for the loss. Coupled with a 2.1 speaker system, I watched the entire motogp 2016 season on it. However, it needs a completely dark room.
For 5k, the whole setup is one you can give a try to to see if you should invest in heavier equipment.
That's good to know, yes, it is the Unic UC46. How big a picture are you projecting from this, considering it is a 480p resolution projector? Does the image quality improve if you 'reduce' the projected image size?
Old 12th December 2016, 16:40   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

That's good to know, yes, it is the Unic UC46. How big a picture are you projecting from this, considering it is a 480p resolution projector? Does the image quality improve if you 'reduce' the projected image size?
At last measure, it was 8 feet across. Yes, it's much better when you take it closer.
Old 13th December 2016, 10:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
I guess the problem with projecting a huge image from these basic Chinese projectors is that they don't have a good native resolution, and a bigger image might not look all that 'sharp'. Hence the comment about 40-50" being sufficient.
Chineese Projectors? Even epson has a short throw projector these days. But my money is on the BenQ or the optoma.

They can project a 100 inch diagonal image just 3.5 feet from the screen/wall. and in 3d too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2V0WP4..._t3_B00M9D4CAK

https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080...hrow+projector
Old 13th December 2016, 14:28   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
At last measure, it was 8 feet across. Yes, it's much better when you take it closer.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_and View Post
Chineese Projectors? Even epson has a short throw projector these days. But my money is on the BenQ or the optoma.

They can project a 100 inch diagonal image just 3.5 feet from the screen/wall. and in 3d too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K2V0WP4..._t3_B00M9D4CAK

https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080...hrow+projector
Looking at Chinese ones as I do not want to spend more than $200.
Old 28th April 2017, 16:22   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreativeGeek View Post
Attachment 1465618
Got a LG PW800 mini beam projector this Saturday, ordered it via a relative in US as the pricing of this projector in India is quite exorbitant and in US it was available for 35K...

It is easy to operate and very lightweight, zoom function is sorely missed other than that most features work like a charm and I have not yet connected this small wonder to a 5.1 audio output. Wired connectivity with 2.1 F&D 330BT speakers is working fine for now to overcome the tinny speakers on board. Screenshare via Miracast also works well without any lag. The menu and operating interface is copy of what you get to see on most modern LG TV's

Looking out for a portable 87x49 100'D screen in Pune on priority, do not want to go for permanent fixture based installation.
Thank you for sharing that!
I am looking at (an atleast 720p) projector and screen to watch regular TV shows/ movies / etc
How's your setup doing?

How have you mounted your projector & screen?

I am in Pune too. So, leads on screen/accessories available locally, will help me too.
---

I am fine spending about 20-30,000 INR at this stage on my setup.
What kind of lamp life can i expect, with current lot of projectors?

Will I get a good picture quality for that amount?

The room where i plan to install Projector and screen is - 10x15'
I will be able to have a screen-to-eye distance of 13~13.5'
I have a humble Philips 2.1 (MMS4040) which can take care of the audio.
I will use Laptop+HDMI & occasional gaming sessions from PS3+HDMI to project content through the projector.

Suggestions please!

Thank you,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 28th April 2017 at 16:24.
Old 19th September 2018, 19:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Re: The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.

Bought a Optoma HD 143X projector along while coming from US. Finding it really good and the brightness is good even with lights on. Currently just projecting on to white wall for time being. Really liked the picture quality.
Old 29th April 2019, 13:09   #131
BHPian

Re: The Home Theatre Projector thread

Hi,

Our LG TV is currently down, details at https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4573782 (The TV Thread - LCD, LED etc.)

I am working on getting it fixed by putting a Chinese board in it, and then limiting it's use to selected items.

In the mean time, I was thinking about buying a Home Theatre Projector this time instead of spending on a new TV.

Have been looking mostly at Epson TW650 & TW5650. Have been quoted INR 46,500 & 65,400 respectively PLUS 28% GST.

That's the max budget I am going for right now as I stay in a rented accomodation.

Any BenQ models recommended based on 1st hand experience?

Any 1st hand experience with Epson models listed above?

My preference is a native resolution of 1080P.

Will be placing in a room of 20 x 18 feet, height of 10 feet. Not decided whether to ceiling mount it or operate it from a table. Have a 2-yr child in the house, so need to think twice about putting it on the floor.

Have an off-white wall for projection, but I will be going ahead with a dedicated screen, similar to what we see here - Projector screens

I am coming from a 47" TV, so a max. screen of 120" is fine for me at this stage.

The 2 Epson models do not have an Audio-Out, which is forcing me to look at other brands. I have a high end SONY BDV-9200W, which I want to make use of with the projector for audio.

Feasible viewing distance - anything between 8 to 14 feet.

Any pointers, suggestions, advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 29th April 2019 at 13:11.
Old 29th April 2019, 13:25   #132
BHPian

Guys, need help. My Denon Amp power supply unit seems to have gone as there is no power supply to the system. I am wondering SMPS is the issue.

Do we have any DENON Service dealers here in Bangalore? If so contact details or whereabouts will be really helpful.
Old 4th October 2021, 16:24   #133
Senior - BHPian

Connecting Sony WH-L600 Headphones to SR6013

Hello Folks,
I'm trying to see if there is a way I can connect Sony WH-L600 (https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/s...phones/wh-l600) to my Marantz SR6013 in such a way that I can make use of this surround headphones during night hours! This would help me continue enjoy the surround sound with DD, Dolby Logic pro-II and DTS codecs that this headphone supports without disturbing others or neighbors during late hours.
The challenge I see here that the transmitter of this headphone has Optical, HDMI and an analog input. I can connect the optical out from the TV to this headphone. However, my main media players are Nvidia Shield Pro and ATV4K that plays through SR6013. To be able to get the audio codecs I mentioned, I assume the source to the headphone transmitter has to be via Optical or HDMI only.

Those familiar with the zone2 configuration on AVR can help me confirm if I can connect the Zone2 HDMI out from the SR6013 to the HDMI-IN port of the headphone transmitter base and can pass only the audio to the zone2? Continue to pass the video to the TV connected on MainZone? Is that possible? Are there any other ways to connect this?
I should receive the L600s sometime around this week, and trying to figure out what all I can try once they arrived.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ketan : 4th October 2021 at 16:25.
Old 4th October 2021, 18:32   #134
BHPian

Dear Folks

I am looking for a fairly good speaker system. (Read quasi HT). The reason I am not looking for an HT is because of where the TV is placed. It is in a room which has a completely open wall on one side and a complete glass window on the opposite side. There is going to be people walking around in the side where there is no wall

So I had a look at soundbars and the JBL 9.1 Soundbar was quite interesting for the fact that it has Bluetooth based rear speakers. I did go through a demo and it sounded fairly good better than my current Onkyo system which was bought about 15 years ago.

My media preferences are lossless music (English rock (60s to 80s), Blues (Mississippi, Chicago), Jazz and Concertos. Missus listens to anything but stays away from current english hits. My movies are limited to conversational movies and I am not a great fan of loud guns and helicopter zooms

Given this, is this a good system to invest in. I know the pitfalls that over a period of time the rear speaker batteries will go down, maybe about 4 to 5 years. By then I would get to the position of changing the family room

Please let know
Old 4th October 2021, 20:28   #135
BHPian

Re: Connecting Sony WH-L600 Headphones to SR6013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Hello Folks,
I'm trying to see if there is a way I can connect Sony WH-L600 (https://www.sony.co.in/electronics/s...phones/wh-l600) to my Marantz SR6013 in such a way that I can make use of this surround headphones during night hours! ...
Thanks.
What is the media player that you are using ?
I suppose you can connect your Headphone transmitter directly to the analogue or optical out of the media player. There should be a configuration that says route audio via HDMI on/off , and turn that off.

Zone2 will not work, because Zone2 is only for a different set of speakers and the Zone 2 will not have any HDMI/Optical out port, it will just have a set of Speaker connector jacks.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks