Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2005, 17:33   #1
Team-BHP Support

The Home Theatre Projector thread

I am planning to buying a Home Theatre Projector in a few months. Although I have a fair idea about what I need in the projector, I have no idea what models/makes are available in India. I probably will need service center in Bangalore.

What is the best way to go about getting a home theatre projector in Bangalore? Who are the local vendors or importers?
Old 8th November 2005, 18:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Got this from the link given in the Home Theatre thread ..

http://www.soundnvisionhifi.com/prod...PROJECTORS.htm
Old 8th November 2005, 18:13   #3
BHPian

Samurai:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs. Are they reliable enuff age wise. And are u planning to buy this for ur home or some official purpose.

Have dropped the idea of a projector owing to this reason, though it has its advantages..
Old 8th November 2005, 18:37   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

well u can check out this shop below hotel samarkhand near safina plaza..he has some of the best projectors and also sells at quite competant prices..also gave 2 screens free to my friend who got a projector worth 1.3 lakhs..
Old 8th November 2005, 23:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
well u can check out this shop below hotel samarkhand near safina plaza..he has some of the best projectors and also sells at quite competant prices..also gave 2 screens free to my friend who got a projector worth 1.3 lakhs..
Thanks a lot, I'll check him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Got this from the link given in the Home Theatre thread ..

http://www.soundnvisionhifi.com/pro.../PROJECTORS.htm
Thanks for the link. Looks like the website has not been updated for a while, it carries mostly outdated models and prices look very expensive. For example, Hitachi's new PJ-TX10 Home Cinema Projector is actually out of production. Under Infocus, it still carries outdated X1 and I know X3 currently available in India.

Quote:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs. Are they reliable enuff age wise. And are u planning to buy this for ur home or some official purpose.
That's true, but I am planning to use it for only DVD movies and sports, more like 10 hours a week. At that rate it should last 200 weeks or 4 years. Good enough. Home theatre for office purpose? No way!
Old 8th November 2005, 23:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Samurai:
Have read that the projector lamps wont last long...a couple of thousand hrs.
The newer ones last much much longer, though projector resolution is still nowhere near CRT resolution...better than Plasma, though.

I liked the new Sonys that they have for home use - claimed to go on and on, though you will need to use power-conditioning equipment like stabilizers when you use them in India.
Old 8th November 2005, 23:53   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The newer ones last much much longer, though projector resolution is still nowhere near CRT resolution...better than Plasma, though.
Now you get all kinds of resolutions, your budget is the limit. Check this list: http://www.projectorcentral.com/home...projectors.htm

Quote:
I liked the new Sonys that they have for home use - claimed to go on and on, though you will need to use power-conditioning equipment like stabilizers when you use them in India.
In India most manufactures are selling projectors that are discontinued in first world countries, but at premium prices. Another problem, all projectors within 1.5L are low lumen projectors, which means dark room viewing only. One of the best projectors available in India is InFocus ScreenPlay 4805, excellent contrast ratio, but dark room viewing only.
Old 20th November 2005, 20:05   #8
BHPian

hey try the necHT1100 if you are in the 1.5 L budget. if you wanna spend more money...i can give you some more suggestions!
Old 20th November 2005, 21:08   #9
Team-BHP Support

Go for a "DLP" based projector. The brand does not matter. Nothing, i prepeat nothing can come even close to DLP technology, wether its projection televisions or projectors. They are expensive, but really long lasting and future proof
Old 20th November 2005, 21:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean that the B'lore members have found themselves a new hang out, to watch the 2006 season of F1?

Shan2nu
Old 21st November 2005, 00:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cream
hey try the necHT1100 if you are in the 1.5 L budget. if you wanna spend more money...i can give you some more suggestions!
I checked the reviews, it looks like a winner. Is it available in India? at what price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Does that mean that the B'lore members have found themselves a new hang out, to watch the 2006 season of F1?
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS. My current home in Bangalore has no place for a projector.
Old 21st November 2005, 00:06   #12
BHPian

yeah - available both official and in the grey market...

also try the optoma - i'll get the model number and details tomorrow. and also the prices of the nec
Old 21st November 2005, 00:08   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS.
So you can have a TBHP meet, drive AND watch F1 on largescreen.......just curious - are you gonna buy the beer as well?
Old 21st November 2005, 08:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So you can have a TBHP meet, drive AND watch F1 on largescreen.......just curious - are you gonna buy the beer as well?
Actually I will moving near to the coast along NH17, driving will be fun. Of course, if you drive all the way to to my place, unlimited beer and snacks will be free.
Old 21st November 2005, 08:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Heh, heh, nope, not really. I will be moving out of Bangalore in April, this projector is for my new home where I have a big room for HTS. My current home in Bangalore has no place for a projector.

Hmm moving out for good eh..maybe a lot many of the ppl who stay in Bangalore will be forced to do the same thing..

Last edited by muni : 21st November 2005 at 09:02.

Most Viewed