Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2010, 17:45   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Laptop to TV without wires !

PTV1000 - TV Adapter for Intel Wireless Display

Anyone tried this ? It's not very clear by the specs but does any intel i3 & i5 work with this device?
Old 12th July 2010, 18:20   #2
BHPian

Nice concept. It seems like we need a laptop that supports wireless display!
Old 15th July 2010, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Requirements for Intel® Wireless Display

Compatible laptops require the following system components. Consult your PC manufacturer to determine if Intel® Wireless Display is supported.
System Component, Requirement

Processor
ONE of the following: Intel® Core™ i7-620M processor, Intel Core i5-540M processor, Intel Core i5-520M processor, Intel Core i5-430M processor, Intel® Core™ i3-350M processor, Intel Core i3-330M processor

Graphics
Intel® HD Graphics

Wireless
ONE of the following: Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200, Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300

Software
Intel® My WiFi Technology and Intel Wireless Display must be pre-installed and enabled

OS
Windows* 7 64-bit, Home Premium, Ultimate or Professional
Old 16th July 2010, 18:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't look like it will work with just about any laptop, since it needs Intel Wireless Display component in the laptop. That is special hardware+software (not run of the mill 802.11 wi-fi) unlikely to be present in most laptops, till it catches up in the industry.
Old 17th July 2010, 01:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

In the spec of my Sony Vaio Z (i5 540, NVidea 330M), it is advertised to be supported. But I have not tried it.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:29   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Laptop to TV without wires !

Check this out :

Samsung's Central Station - pretty cool!

cya
R
Old 26th July 2011, 17:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

I got this from US a few months ago. Works Flawlessly and transmits A/V seamlessly.

Cables Unlimited Wireless USB to HDMI and VGA Adapter with Audio
Amazon.com : Cables Unlimited Wireless USB to HDMI and VGA Adapter with Audio

Amazon.com: Cables Unlimited Wireless USB to HDMI and VGA Adapter with Audio: Electronics
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

I'll give you guys with a simple setup.

Assumption - Your TV is dlna compatible, and has a network port - need not be wireless. (Anyways most wireless TV requires their own company's wireless adapters to be plugged or mostly do not allow third party wireless adapters)

1 ) We need a network bridge. Most Wireless routers can be made to act as one.
2 ) Plug in the network cable to TV and to your bridge.
3 ) Assign IP number to TV based on your home network configuration.
4 ) Make the IP configuration of your wireless bridge so that it connects to your exisiting Wireless network.
5 ) Most of your IPTV contents will ork now from TV as supported -youtube, etc..

Windows 7 will identify your DLNA device now, you can stream to it from mediaplayer!

To stream video, music etc you need some server software at the PC side. For Sony you can use PS3MediaServer. Make sure you configure your settings files.

It works like a charm at home now. The only investment was a wireless router - the high speed one.

Full configuration on request
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 17:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

1) It is not clear which TVs are supported (link is broken as of the time I am typing this). Because there should be some hardware which should receive the data from Laptop and display it on TV

2) As Laluks described above, with DLNA capable TV and win 7 you can seamlessly stream media from your laptop to TV. Even if you do not have win 7, most TV manufacturers have their in house software to do this.
Old 26th July 2011, 20:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi laluks,
I am in the process of upgrading my existing tv and would love to have this thing set up. While I already have a wireless router and can buy a tv that is dlna compatible, I use a Macbookpro. Am I going to get stuck because of that or is there a way around/compatible with the Mac's OS.
Old 27th July 2011, 01:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi laluks,
I am in the process of upgrading my existing tv and would love to have this thing set up. While I already have a wireless router and can buy a tv that is dlna compatible, I use a Macbookpro. Am I going to get stuck because of that or is there a way around/compatible with the Mac's OS.
Answer in short :

@khoj - Most TVs these days come with options of streaming to it. This may be with their proprietory software either bundled or to be purchased separately. If that softwares work on MAC, then you're good to go. Else if softwares like PS3Media server - which is an opensource project for Sony Play stations - are available for the TV you shortlist for MAC then that is sufficient. Since I am still in the PC world, that part was not researched by me

But consider this too.

As far as DLNA is concerned, it is considered to be a standard with which all DLNA enabled devices can share data. But the solutions that are being flooded in the market are not very clean, and I started calling it Dirty Little Nonsense - Avoidable

But any ways since you have asked - there are two things you must check when you narrow down on a DLNA enabled TV.

1 ) The DLNA certification - you can check this at Home - DLNA
2 ) On which network the DLNA connectivity is certified. Most cases it is the wired one and not the wireless one.

Though most TVs advertise they are wireless networkable, please check the fine print. It is mostly with their proprietory wireless usb devices (around 5K) and not always compatible with any third party wireless devices - which are cheaper (say 1K). So an additional investment has to be made for such a device. If DLNA certification states that the connectivity is only on wired network - then there is no question of getting this device for streaming via DLNA, as it is not supported. But you still can use this device to connect to your Wireless router - which is a part of your existing home network to connect to internet. This will help with youtube, netflix kind of applications that is supported by your TV. But that can still be done in another way.

Considering that DLNA is only available on wired network, this means you have to connect the TV to your PC via a network cable. This renders the entire concept of DLNA devices communicating with each other a farce - since a wired setup is required to establish connection to the other device. This doesnot mean it cannot connect to internet wirelessly.

OK, but there is a work around - A network bridge. The idea is to connect the LAN cable from the TV to your wireless network bridge, and keep this bridge near the TV. Using this wireless bridge we can join our existing Wireless network at home. So basically now the TV is in the TV room, and your Wireless router is another room - say your study room. For this you will have to invest in a wireless network bridge or a wireless router - which can be configured as a bridge. Costs can vary from 2k to 10K based on the device that you chose, mainly due to the speed and band of the network that you chose.

I have a solution at home which connects my i7 lappy to my Sony TV. My lappy is on the internet on a separate band, and my wireless network bridge connects to my lappy on another band. It can go upto a 150Mbps by using the N+ standards (300Mbps advertised) - which gives you stutter free video streaming and parallel internet. Since all videos are now streamed from my lappy it avoids me in investing in a BD player, etc..etc.. since all such formats are handled by the lappy in realtime and transcoded to what the TV can play before streaming. I am not restricted by formats any more.
laluks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 02:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for an extensive reply, I am sure I will live through it somehow. Infact, I have already started to comprehend the tricky bits such as the DLNA
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks
Dirty Little Nonsense - Avoidable
Old 27th July 2011, 11:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Considering that DLNA is only available on wired network, this means you have to connect the TV to your PC via a network cable.

Are you sure? AFAIK, DLNA works on wireless too.

To answer @Khoj's query, Mac has god number of media servers available for media streaming. In fact, I believe these servers are much better and user friendly with MAC OS.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Are you sure? AFAIK, DLNA works on wireless too.
Quote:
Though most TVs advertise they are wireless networkable, please check the fine print. It is mostly with their proprietory wireless usb devices (around 5K) and not always compatible with any third party wireless devices - which are cheaper (say 1K). So an additional investment has to be made for such a device. If DLNA certification states that the connectivity is only on wired network - then there is no question of getting this device for streaming via DLNA, as it is not supported. But you still can use this device to connect to your Wireless router - which is a part of your existing home network to connect to internet. This will help with Youtube, netflix kind of applications that is supported by your TV. But that can still be done in another way.

Considering that DLNA is only available on wired network, this means you have to connect the TV to your PC via a network cable. This renders the entire concept of DLNA devices communicating with each other a farce - since a wired setup is required to establish connection to the other device. This doesnot mean it cannot connect to internet wirelessly.
Please read the full post
Considering DLNA certification for the device was only on wired ...then.

If the device is certified for wireless then no issues. But most devices have it certified on the wired only.

Consider this certificate http://certification.dlna.org/certs/REG46753310.pdf for a 55inch Sony KDL-55HX800, which is a wired and wireless TV. The certificate from DLNA clearly mentions the certified network connectivity is for Wired, 100 and 10 Mbps.

If this certificate for your TV says, it is certified for wireless - then it works for you on wireless.
Old 27th July 2011, 11:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post

If this certificate for your TV says, it is certified for wireless - then it works for you on wireless.
Oh got you. Quoted you out of context then :P.

BTW, now a days most TVs come with both wired and wireless certified, I believed. Which I guess is wrong, so thanks for the info

Last edited by anilisanil : 27th July 2011 at 11:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks