Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:56   #1
BHPian

Win 7 + Office 10 installation computer shops in Bangalore

Howdie pardners. I have a windows vista Dell laptop on which I want to install original Windows 7 and Office 10. Would anyone know a reliable place in Bangalore that I could do this for at reasonable price while backing up all my data as well?

Also, is it advisable to go for a 64 bit vs a 32 bit? For what main reasons?

Also, I am moving to the US and might get a Mac there. Will my Windows 7/Office 2010 license allow me to install windows on this other machine as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mayank
Old 2nd August 2010, 23:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its better if you backup your data to an external HDD, buy a Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade, and Office 10 Home and Business edition - and do the installation yourself.

As per the EULA, retail versions of MS software are licensed to be installed and run on only one computer at any given point of time. So if you want to take this Win 7 license to the US and use it on the Mac, you will have remove it from this Dell laptop.

If your Dell laptop has less than 3 GB of RAM, then you do not need a 64 bit OS. It may run, but you will have the added overloads that 64 bit comes with and wont have any purpose to bear them.

Finally, I am not sure how the computer scenario in Bangalore is (shops and stuff). But please be aware that if they attempt to give you a pirated version of Windows 7 then it will probably be through a bootloader. Most bootloader hacks to activate a pirated version of Windows 7 come with a virus or trojan. Office 2010 does not have a bullet proof hack to activate a pirated version, except for mimicking a enterprise activation server running as a local service - this service, again, is suspect.
Old 3rd August 2010, 10:15   #3
BHPian

You can find licensed copies of Windows 7 at stores like Ezone or Staples. You can even order it online on Microsoft's official site. The upgrade from Win Vista costs around 5K . You don't need someone else to do it. Just backup your data into an external HDD and then upgrade it yourself.
Old 3rd August 2010, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Do a lot of price comparisons before buying. Staples was quoting 2k for the Kaspersky anti virus which I got from another computer shop for ~500 bucks. I'd rather stay away from staples, ezone and the likes unless the same stuff is not available elsewhere.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Do a lot of price comparisons before buying. Staples was quoting 2k for the Kaspersky anti virus which I got from another computer shop for ~500 bucks. I'd rather stay away from staples, ezone and the likes unless the same stuff is not available elsewhere.
Sorry for OT, but genuine A/V license for 0.5k ?

@Topic creator, either way you wanna do it, the legal way or the 'ahem ahem' way, you don't really need a computer shop to do it. Plenty of guides on the net, and you don't even need 'em.

All licenses are for a single computer only, unless you get an enterprise license which is for a LOT of computers. Anyway, no license for two computers. Try mailing Microsoft though, you may get a combo discount.
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:08   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Sorry for OT, but genuine A/V license for 0.5k ?
Yep...genuine retail pack...find it here
Theitdepot - Browse by Brand : Kaperesky

I purchased it last year and the serial number was activated by Kaspersky..even got a discount on upgrade..so there is no issue about the genuine-ness of it?
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Yep...genuine retail pack...find it here
Theitdepot - Browse by Brand : Kaperesky

I purchased it last year and the serial number was activated by Kaspersky..even got a discount on upgrade..so there is no issue about the genuine-ness of it?
Wow, things do come cheap nowadays. :P
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I was looking for a shop to do it for a couple of reasons. One is the prices, which, as someone pointed out, can vary to some extent shop to shop. The other was that for data backup I already have this HDD but it doesn't run on my 64-bit windows. Din't wanna go through the hassles of buying/borrowing another one.. thought a vendor might just take the backup for me on this temporary basis!
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I was looking for a shop to do it for a couple of reasons. One is the prices, which, as someone pointed out, can vary to some extent shop to shop. The other was that for data backup I already have this HDD but it doesn't run on my 64-bit windows. Din't wanna go through the hassles of buying/borrowing another one.. thought a vendor might just take the backup for me on this temporary basis!
If you have a HDD large enough, you can backup all the data to another partition. Only the primary partition will be formatted.
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:49   #10
BHPian

What's the easiest way to partition my hard disk is the next silly question..
Old 4th August 2010, 01:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go to your computer savvy friend
Old 4th August 2010, 07:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Remove some free space from one of your partitions. That will make some unallocated space. Then create a new partition using the unallocated space.

Which Windows are you currently using? If it's Vista, this will help you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks