Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2005, 12:22   #1
VMG
BHPian

EDGE in Mobile

What is 'EDGE' in Mobile technology. I heard internet browsing will be faster with 'EDGE'. Is it true?
Any feedback on Nokia 6260 & 6681 models? Almost decided to go for 6260( no EDGE ) with this feedback I am confused. Pl. help
Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2005, 12:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

EDGE or "Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution" is nothing but GPRS with enhancements to the way packets of data are decoded, and offers higher speeds of data than GPRS.

GPRS or "General Packet Radio Services" is a mode of delivering data over GSM phones that does not require a dedicated circuit to be setup between the handset and the network (like that for a voice call). In normal CSD (Circuit Switched Data) or HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data) you pretty much use your mobile phone like you would use a landline for a dialup - the line is dedicated to the data connection. In GPRS, its more like (not the technology, but the user experience) an ISDN line where voice and data use separate channels, so to speak. Which is why you can still make a call when your GPRS connection is on, while in a CSD/HSCSD mode you will have to first disconnect your data call to make a voice call. Similarly, you can receive a voice call from someone who is trying to contact you while you are surfing the web using GPRS/EDGE.

However, be aware that this is not the ultimate in mobile data. Quite a few networks the world over have moved over to UMTS, which is the 3rd generation (also called 3G) GSM technology. In 3G, we have CDMA over GSM, and that flavour of CDMA is also called WCDMA or TDCDMA (depending on the implementation and the flavour used).

For more information on EDGE, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhance..._GSM_Evolution

You can also visit the GSM Association's website which would have relevant links:

www.gsm.org

PS: After JK Das's post, I must inform you that EDGE must be PROVIDED by your operator and SUPPORTED by the handset you use. Currently I think Hutch and Airtel provide EDGE services in India, while almost everyone else provides GPRS.

Data Speeds are network dependent.

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd November 2005 at 12:48.
Old 22nd November 2005, 12:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes, EDGE is faster. If you download a lot via mobile (like if you browse net via mobile connected to a computer), use EDGE enabled mobile. BUT, see that your mobile service provider has it enabled.
Old 22nd November 2005, 15:01   #4
VMG
BHPian

Thanks. Pl. confim my understanding.

EDGE feature should be there in the mobile as well as the same has to be supported by service provider.
If 'yes' then the browsing will be faster than GPRS.
If one of them is not true then this is as good as GPRS.

Am I correct?

Thanks again.
Old 22nd November 2005, 15:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

I GUESS so and most of them should have it in India as we use better mobile tech (with 2.5G support) stuff.

Last edited by jkdas : 22nd November 2005 at 15:23.
Old 4th December 2005, 01:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG
Thanks. Pl. confim my understanding.

EDGE feature should be there in the mobile as well as the same has to be supported by service provider.
If 'yes' then the browsing will be faster than GPRS.
If one of them is not true then this is as good as GPRS.

Am I correct?

Thanks again.
Yes,very much true.Infact,I am using Orange EDGE in Mumbai on my Nokia 6630 since quite some time,and the settings for activating EDGE are just the same as GPRS settings..I had contacted orange and asked them whether I had to make any special settings in the mobile Web Services menu,and they said if your cell phone supports EDGE,the settings will automatically support higher speed EDGE surfing,and if the cell doesn't support EDGE,the same settings will work on normal GPRS speeds.It's always better to buy an EDGE compatible cell phone,even though your service provider might not support it right now..because pretty soon,all providers will surely upgrade from GPRS to EDGE,and finally 3G.

sr

Last edited by srasania : 4th December 2005 at 01:24.
Old 4th December 2005, 04:28   #7
Max
BHPian

srasania, for what purpose you use EDGE ? do you surf on your PC through edge ? also what are the charges like ?
Old 4th December 2005, 14:08   #8
BHPian

Hey max..I use EDGE for accessing my VSNL email account,and just surfing normal GPRS enabled websites,and also for downloading wallpapers/ringtones,etc.I don't access it through the laptop..I believe the best mobile internet service right now is by using Tata Indicom PCMCIA CDMA Wireless Internet Card.You can also access through Reliance CDMA cell phone,using a data cable..but the mobile internet speeds aren't as good as Tata Indicom.

Most Viewed