Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 16:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mac OS 10.7 "Lion" to be unveiled

Apple is officially unveiling the "Lion" on 20th October.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/13/apple-to-hold-media-event-october-20th-well-be-there-live/
Old 14th October 2010, 16:22   #2
BHPian

Unlike Microsoft that creates a lot of hype before their products actually go through the painful process of a launch (beta, rc and retail) I have found that Apple does its job quietly and their products are far superior.

Looking forward to grace my MB Pro with LION.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Unlike Microsoft that creates a lot of hype before their products actually go through the painful process of a launch (beta, rc and retail) I have found that Apple does its job quietly and their products are far superior.
Every software needs beta testing, Apple is no exception. Microsoft needs massive external beta testing because it works exclusively on third party hardware. However, Mac OS needs to run only on Apple made Hardware. Therefore, Apple can keep their beta testing internal. Even they would have released the beta copy to selected third party developers to ensure popular third party apps works on it.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th October 2010 at 16:34.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:36   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Microsoft needs massive external beta testing because it works exclusively on third party hardware. However, Mac OS needs to run only on Apple made Hardware. Therefore, Apple can keep their beta testing internal. Even they would have released the beat copy to selected third party developers to ensure popular third party apps works on it.
You are right. Interesting, I never thought of this angle. But even after such an elaborate testing windows apps/os appear to be lazy and pop up surprises. Although i admit even mac has its own set of glitches but quite less often.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
But even after such an elaborate testing windows apps/os appear to be lazy and pop up surprises.
That is because even Microsoft can't test it for every hardware combination. While Microsoft tests it with every major PC vendor, what about non-standard assembled PCs? A huge number of PCs worldwide are assembled by mix and match of hardware in homes and garages. Guess who gets the blame if the OS fails to run on it?

Mac OS never has to run on home assembled Macs, hence the hardware integrity is assured.
Old 14th October 2010, 16:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

I suppose they will release the beta to app developers after October 20th. Just the way they did with Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Maybe they will officially launch the OS in June 2011.

As for the October 20th event, I even heard rumours as to they will be announcing some (hardware) product updates.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 14th October 2010 at 16:56.
Old 21st October 2010, 14:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone saw the presentation? I'm drooling over the New MacBook Air...
Old 21st October 2010, 14:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Anyone saw the presentation? I'm drooling over the New MacBook Air...
I followed a live blog from the keynote as always. The Macbook Airs are really beautiful and I hear the 11" model is more impressive. However what really excited me is Face time for Macs. Now if only they lift the 'Wi-fi only' rule.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:04   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I followed a live blog from the keynote as always. The Macbook Airs are really beautiful and I hear the 11" model is more impressive. However what really excited me is Face time for Macs. Now if only they lift the 'Wi-fi only' rule.
There is already a crack for Facetime to work on 3G/GPRS for the iphone.

I have been waiting patiently for a smaller mac to come. Thus, for the past 8 years i've been holding on to my 12" Powerbook (and still working super). I got an iMac a few years ago for heavy apps and use the PB for general work related stuff. I'm really smitten by the new macbook air 11.6". However, if i customize it, it comes upto $1750, which is dangerously close to MBP territory.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st October 2010 at 15:06. Reason: typo
Old 21st October 2010, 15:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
There is already a crack for Facetime to work on 3G/GPRS for the iphone.

I have been waiting patiently for a smaller mac to come. Thus, for the past 8 years i've been holding on to my 12" Powerbook (and still working super). I got an iMac a few years ago for heavy apps and use the PB for general work related stuff. I'm really smitten by the new macbook air 11.6". However, if i customize it, it comes upto $1750, which is dangerously close to MBP territory.
I guess the 11" isn't really going to be used for anything too heavy right? Won't the base configuration do in that case?

Another interesting announcement was the App store for Macs. I can't believe no one thought of it before. I believe it will be launched in 90 days.

Last edited by khanak : 21st October 2010 at 15:13.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:19   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I guess the 11" isn't really going to be used for anything too heavy right? Won't the base configuration do in that case?
I usually keep my Macs for a longtime. Thus, a higher config is always preferred by me.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:40   #12
Senior - BHPian

I hope they revamp their UI (*cough* expecting 3D features *cough*) in Lion, but so far the features introduced doesnt sound all that impressive to be a new version of OS altogether.

The MBA looks impressive, but definitely not for the masses.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/lion/

Last edited by _raVan_ : 21st October 2010 at 15:48.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:48   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

???
As opposed to the mac lineup like the iMacs, MPBs, etc which are for the masses and outsell windoze by 20:1?
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:02   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I hope they revamp their UI (*cough* expecting 3D features *cough*) in Lion, but so far the features introduced doesnt sound all that impressive to be a new version of OS altogether.

Apple - Mac OS X Lion
3d features? You mean with 3d glasses?
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:00   #15
BHPian

I booked a MBP last month but yet to take delivery because I heard rumors that the MBP line is due an update. Now this has convinced me further to wait a bit longer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks