Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 16:21   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Waze - Free satellite navigation for your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Started using waze today, joined Team-BHP group too. One weird thing I notice sometimes it tells me to take the *other* side of the divided road (near a divider cut it'll ask you to take right and immediately left, and from the picture it looks like it really wants me to drive on the opposite lane) ... anyone else noticed this?

Kousik
I have noticed waze going crazy at times, asking me to take turns where roads does not even exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
im on waze how to add myself to the tbhp group ???
Please check Page #1 on the same thread.
Old 21st December 2010, 23:18   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Started using waze today, joined Team-BHP group too. One weird thing I notice sometimes it tells me to take the *other* side of the divided road (near a divider cut it'll ask you to take right and immediately left, and from the picture it looks like it really wants me to drive on the opposite lane) ... anyone else noticed this?

Kousik
Some of the possible reasons for that:
1. Whoever created the map of that road marked the directions wrongly.
2. The only prior record Waze has of anyone driving that road shows the vehicle moving on the wrong side. Note that this could even be due to a poorly calibrated GPS or a weak GPS signal.
3. One side of the road may be created as a 'Street' or better and the other side as a 'Service Road'.

In any case: since you have now driven the road you can edit the map to make it correct and benefit all Wazers who pass that way. And even before you do that, the system may have automatically responded to you driving on the correct side -- that's part of the beauty of Waze!

If you post the details of that road, I'll take a look (but can't make the corrections, only someone who has driven that way or the Area Manager, if any, can do that).

Aside, this discussion really belongs on the Waze forums

Any Indian Wazers feel we should have separate subforum for India there? I can request it.

db (Waze Area Manager for much of South Goa)
Old 21st December 2010, 23:29   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
I have noticed waze going crazy at times, asking me to take turns where roads does not even exist.
The base map, sourced from SatGuide, isn't perfect. What you can do about it:
1. Live-report a "Map Problem" at the point where Wae asks you to take a nonexistant turn. All this does is flag the map viewed by the Area Manager, so if there isn't an Area Manager this won't help.
2. On a PC, view the map for the area and locate the nonexistant road. Go to "Update Map" and mark the road for deletion (click on road segment, click "Delete Road' / "Yes". This flags the deletion for the Area Manager to confirm, but even if there isn't any Area Manager, will take not that the road is marked for deletion and probably -- not sure about this -- refrain from routing anyone via that road.

Why don't you sign up as the Area Manager by sending a mail as detailed on the Waze wiki pages? Reviewing the map, India sorely needs more Area Managers, there are tons of unattended map problems everywhere.

And like the previous post, this one too would have sat better on the Waze forums

db
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:18   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl.Burke View Post
The base map, sourced from SatGuide, isn't perfect. What you can do about it:
1. Live-report a "Map Problem" at the point where Wae asks you to take a nonexistant turn. All this does is flag the map viewed by the Area Manager, so if there isn't an Area Manager this won't help.
2. On a PC, view the map for the area and locate the nonexistant road. Go to "Update Map" and mark the road for deletion (click on road segment, click "Delete Road' / "Yes". This flags the deletion for the Area Manager to confirm, but even if there isn't any Area Manager, will take not that the road is marked for deletion and probably -- not sure about this -- refrain from routing anyone via that road.

Why don't you sign up as the Area Manager by sending a mail as detailed on the Waze wiki pages? Reviewing the map, India sorely needs more Area Managers, there are tons of unattended map problems everywhere.

And like the previous post, this one too would have sat better on the Waze forums

db
i made two corrections on the Map near Frazer town and Ulsoor area and is now showing up on Waze correctly
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:38   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i made two corrections on the Map near Frazer town and Ulsoor area and is now showing up on Waze correctly

You might be interested in waze.com • View topic - Indian Forum

db
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:52   #216
Senior - BHPian

Thanks db, let me try signing up as Area Manager, jointly we can make Waze a better place
Old 23rd December 2010, 17:01   #217
BHPian

The Nederland group is tied with Team-BHP with 148 members. We need more wazers!

Incidentally, there are some Christmas 'Road Goodies' with a Santa Claus cap icon that get you 100 points. I drove over one today, but it's again showing on the map and I need to go that way again tomorrow
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:56   #218
BHPian

i have been using it for a week now and i'm not comfortable with the interface (May be because i was using MMI earlier). How do i update the map with a point of interest like petrol bunk or resturant etc?
Old 24th December 2010, 00:30   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4loys View Post
How do i update the map with a point of interest like petrol bunk or resturant etc?
You do that online. Go to Traffic Jam News, Updates from the Road - Waze Live Map and click on 'Update Map'

I recommend you read the wiki before you do any map editing.
Map Editing - waze

Just remember that most changes don't have an 'undo' and e.g. if you wrongly add a road, only the Area Manger can delete it. Also, you can add a Landmark (POI) but only the Area Manager can change its geometry, so click 'Create New Landmark' only when you're sure you have the location and outline correct.

You can find the Waze forums here
waze.com • Index page
Almost anything you need to know has already been discussed there.
Old 29th December 2010, 01:26   #220
BHPian

The 'Nederland' Waze group has inched ahead of TBHP, with 153 members to our 152. Can't we do better?

db
Old 30th December 2010, 10:57   #221
BHPian

Guys - I have a problem using Waze. Installed it in my galay s. Chose the international edition and english language.

After creating the profile etc, when I click on "me on map", it doesnt show anything. Also when you select drive to and select a destination from the search, get an error msg that says "route server error - We can provide directions only to up 200 miles" or something like that. Also how do you set your loations

Sorry too many questions but any pointers here on how to use it the first time?

Thanks
Old 30th December 2010, 14:24   #222
BHPian

@NFS2024, pinged you today my waze handle is neosx4
Old 30th December 2010, 15:55   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Guys - I have a problem using Waze. Installed it in my galay s. Chose the international edition and english language.

After creating the profile etc, when I click on "me on map", it doesnt show anything. Also when you select drive to and select a destination from the search, get an error msg that says "route server error - We can provide directions only to up 200 miles" or something like that. Also how do you set your loations
Maybe you just need to wait for a minute or two (or more) for the GPS to lock in. Make sure you're outdoors and away from tall buildings. There's an icon next to the close menu 'X' icon that will let you know whether you have a good GPS signal, and also whether you are connected to the Waze server. Both must be present for the routing to work.

Once the route is computed, lack of GPRS connectivity won't hamper navigation, but you may not get the points you earn while driving. That happen to me a lot, GPRS connectivity around Goa is patchy.

db
Old 31st December 2010, 00:06   #224
BHPian

pinged a guy today - apparently he is on his way to blr from lucknow in a train imagine the points he will make
Old 31st December 2010, 00:36   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaseem View Post
pinged a guy today - apparently he is on his way to blr from lucknow in a train imagine the points he will make
we travelled to Pondicherry yesterday and i had Waze on all the way

Most Viewed