Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 12:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I may be sounding finicky, but I am one of those types who prefers to carry the original packing and unpack before expectant eyes at home
i am finickier than you but in a different aspect - i prefer to test my gadget before bringing it back. So i spend a good few hours at the hotel, test extensively to see everything is fine, if not return it to best buy or frys, etc and get a new one and repeat procedure. This way I am sure that when i get back to india, i don't have a dud piece with no warranty support
Old 5th January 2011, 18:17   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i am finickier than you but in a different aspect - i prefer to test my gadget before bringing it back. So i spend a good few hours at the hotel, test extensively to see everything is fine, if not return it to best buy or frys, etc and get a new one and repeat procedure. This way I am sure that when i get back to india, i don't have a dud piece with no warranty support
That makes you a practical person . I guess I'll follow your advice if I buy one here. I can't do that if I buy at Heathrow however.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:53   #48
BHPian

The only disadvantage of Kinect is that it is very demanding and less forgiving w.r.t space requirements. It needs 6-10 ft of unobstructed, open space which means moving the furniture too in some cases which may be difficult to do in few urban apartments.
Old 3rd February 2011, 23:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
PS3's sold in US has a power rating label of 110V but actually inside it has a universal power supply. If there is any change in end of last year then I've no idea. But many of the posts from different users mentioning that they are using US PS3's with 220v power supply without any issue. Infact people are seems to be having problems if they are using step-down transformers(most probably due to bad quality transformers in India). But anyway, better to be careful. Check some of the posts here at CNET ->ps3 power supply:is it universal? - CNET Games & gear Forums, most of them have reported to have used their PS3's in 220V power supply.
I finally took the plunge and ordered PS3 with Move bundle for $ 399 from Amazon, and got it yesterday. The Sports Champion Move disc came free with it in the bundle.

I need to assemble it today and check if everything works fine. I am still in the US and have no fear about the voltage. But for usage in India, I guess I need to cross-check from you guys if the adapter is the same as the one in the picture below (it does say 110 v on the plug). I had imagined an adapter to be something like a laptop's adapter, and not like the below

Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect-obama-025.jpg
Old 4th February 2011, 08:24   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
The only disadvantage of Kinect is that it is very demanding and less forgiving w.r.t space requirements. It needs 6-10 ft of unobstructed, open space which means moving the furniture too in some cases which may be difficult to do in few urban apartments.
Unless one gets the free space it can also be dangerous; but once you start using it you will more or less have an idea about the space requirements and your drawing room could be the ideal place for kinect. In fact for the solo games one does not require much space.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:15   #51
BHPian

@vnabhi - if you check on the rear of the PS3 where the power cable connects is there any mention of the voltage. The cable i got with the unit i picked up in bangalore had a normal two pin connector.
Old 4th February 2011, 16:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

All PS3's are universal voltage. You can run it in India without any sort of transformer or voltage converter.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2011, 20:15   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
@vnabhi - if you check on the rear of the PS3 where the power cable connects is there any mention of the voltage. The cable i got with the unit i picked up in bangalore had a normal two pin connector.
Will do and report back, thanks. But does your cable look the same, I mean, apart from the plug pins?

The user guide does mention under the system information grid under the Power row header that it is 120 V, 60 Hz.

It also has a para under the AC pwer cord use section that reads:

'Do not connect the AC power cord to a voltage transformer or inverter. Connecting the power cord to a voltage transformer for overseas travel or an inverter for use in an automobile may cause heat to build up in the system and may cause burns or a malfunction.'

That is what is worrying me. But if all you guys have got the same info in your user guides, then I guess I need not worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
All PS3's are universal voltage. You can run it in India without any sort of transformer or voltage converter.
Thanks, that is what prior posts say. But one person made a mention that he was not aware of later models of PS3, released after 2009. Hence my apprehension.

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th February 2011 at 20:17.
Old 4th February 2011, 20:42   #54
BHPian

@vnabhi - once i am back home i will check my unit and the user guide and let you know.
Old 5th February 2011, 10:18   #55
BHPian

well from the underneath of the PS3 the label states 220~ 240 as the below picture. I need to hunt for the user guide should be able to find it . I guess you would need to use a transformer if the PS states 110V.
Attached Thumbnails
Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect-ps3.jpg  

Old 6th February 2011, 20:06   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yajaman99 View Post
well from the underneath of the PS3 the label states 220~ 240 as the below picture. I need to hunt for the user guide should be able to find it . I guess you would need to use a transformer if the PS states 110V.
Thanks. I'd like someone who has bought his ps3 in the US to comment on this, as there were some posts earlier that people have started using them in India without a transformer, despite the label.

Here is a pic of mine:

Playstation Move Vs. Microsoft Kinect-ps3-070.jpg

In the worst case scenario, instead of a transformer, can't I buy a ps3 cable in India, as it appears the input socket on the console is the same?
Old 6th February 2011, 20:28   #57
BHPian

@vnabhi

Indian appliances run at a frequency of 50 Hz. You need to figure out a solution for that as well.

And I don't think that the power cord would have something to scale the voltage from 220V to 110V. Coz the internals run on DC anyway, so if they were including a power brick in the wire, they'd convert it to DC there itself.

So if nothing else works, you could try buying a power supply from Sony India, take the console apart and switch the power supplies. And sell the original one on eBay. Granted, this is the measure you'll have to resort to only if everything else fails.
Old 6th February 2011, 20:56   #58
BHPian

vnabhi@, what's the price difference for the model you got, if bought in India?

Edit: Just checked 399USD+shipping @amazon and 23490/- mrp @sony.co.in - maybe somewhat cheaper at game shops/croma etc - that make a difference of about 3.5-4.5K. Taking into account warranty issues and voltage hassles, is the deal worth it? Maybe few games /bluray titles instead would have given better ROI;-}

Last edited by sanjayc : 6th February 2011 at 21:08.
Old 6th February 2011, 21:21   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
@vnabhi

Indian appliances run at a frequency of 50 Hz. You need to figure out a solution for that as well.

And I don't think that the power cord would have something to scale the voltage from 220V to 110V. Coz the internals run on DC anyway, so if they were including a power brick in the wire, they'd convert it to DC there itself.

So if nothing else works, you could try buying a power supply from Sony India, take the console apart and switch the power supplies. And sell the original one on eBay. Granted, this is the measure you'll have to resort to only if everything else fails.
Thanks for this info. But can you be specific of what you meant by 'if nothing else works'?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
vnabhi@, what's the price difference for the model you got, if bought in India?

Edit: Just checked 399USD+shipping @amazon and 23490/- mrp @sony.co.in - maybe somewhat cheaper at game shops/croma etc - that make a difference of about 3.5-4.5K. Taking into account warranty issues and voltage hassles, is the deal worth it? Maybe few games /bluray titles instead would have given better ROI;-}
I agree, and all my prior posts were on this topic only. But there were responses here and also on Amazon that PS3 consoles bought in the US did work in India without any transformer. This post is for such people to check their systems and respond it they have similar cables and labels.

The cost is around 6 K if one takes into consideration the price of the Sports Champions Move disc--it comes free for the 399 USD.
Old 6th February 2011, 22:44   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks for this info. But can you be specific of what you meant by 'if nothing else works'?
To tell you the truth, this was the only idea that came to my mind. But then I realised that the cost of the new power supply and the voided warranty would totally offset the advantage of buying it abroad. So, hoping that you'd find some cheaper, safer, cost effective, warranty-saving way, I added 'if nothing else works' before my idea.

Last edited by anku94 : 6th February 2011 at 22:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks