Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: MNP: Will you switch operators ?
Yes, I will definitely switch. I think there is a better service provider available in the market. 175 37.47%
Nopes, I am happy with my mobile operator so won't switch. 108 23.13%
No, I will not switch. I am not happy with my operator but I know the others are equally bad. 92 19.70%
Not Sure: Will wait and watch. 92 19.70%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2009, 23:34   #61
Senior - BHPian

I am with Aircel Chennai for a long time, and have put with bizarre issues they have had over the years. I still have a grouse or two from time to time, but would not switch immediately after MNP gets launched - would rather wait for a couple of months to see if their service improves, else.. which other provider is the lesser evil? :(
Old 30th November 2009, 00:03   #62
BHPian

Airtel already started providing 50Ps roaming incoming and out going... Vodafone is still thinking on that. VF have a huge roaming charge which u will never understand.
Old 1st December 2009, 03:46   #63
Max
BHPian

i hate talking with anyone on mobile phones, i prefer people send me sms but they don't !

most of the time my phone is on answering machine (software is installed in phone) but people dont seem to understand that its an answering machine and never leave message!

i also hate people, who call me and say xxxxx ji namaskar, kasie hein aapp (like he care if i am good or dying !) then aur kya chal raha hai!!! etc., then they come to point (waste of my 10 seconds!). I prefer people directly come to point and disconnect immediately after that. may be they can just say, alright, later!

lol

edit: back to topic, i will switch my primary number from reliance CDMA to vodafone, because in my area reliance tower is located in very bad building, i heard building owners often break their tower cable because they don't pay them rent due to some dispute between reliance and society members. I think reliance have agreement with builder and society owner have no share in tower, no wonder my phone doesn't work because of that!

btw, let me tell you guys one thing, as far as signaling is concerned CDMA is better then GSM because CDMA can transmit voice packets from multiple towers where as GSM have to transmit through one tower only. Also CDMA packets are kind of more powerful then GSM packets hence they easily reach inside building area's like inside your house, basements, garages, lifts etc.,. CDMA voice clarity is little better then GSM due to low noise in CDMA, i am not sure about 3G networks but all CDMA2000 towers are better then 2G GSM.

signal problems? (GTO!) anyone having signal problems in their home/office can install signal boosters like this one (3 Watt Booster)

https://www.smoothtalker.com/

this works on electricity and not an sticker which you install on back side of your phone. sticker is big scam it never works.

i am not sure where these 3 watts boasters are available in india but you should check out with mobile stores they may be able to guide you in this regards or search google.

Last edited by Max : 1st December 2009 at 04:01.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:44   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post

btw, let me tell you guys one thing, as far as signaling is concerned CDMA is better then GSM because CDMA can transmit voice packets from multiple towers where as GSM have to transmit through one tower only. Also CDMA packets are kind of more powerful then GSM packets hence they easily reach inside building area's like inside your house, basements, garages, lifts etc.,. CDMA voice clarity is little better then GSM due to low noise in CDMA, i am not sure about 3G networks but all CDMA2000 towers are better then 2G GSM.
It isn't like CDMA packets are more "powerful". It depends on the frequency. Shorter is better for penetrating walls, etc. Technical details aside, on the field, in Pune, you will find Idea (900 Mhz, GSM) to have slightly better voice clarity then Reliance CDMA; and the average signal strength in more or less identical inside the city. CDMA voice clarity drops with increasing load on the BTS.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:05   #65
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
would not switch immediately after MNP gets launched - would rather wait for a couple of months to see if their service improves, else.. which other provider is the lesser evil? :(
This is how most people are going to play it. I have been on Vodafone (Hutch in 2004) since Feb 2004 and have not had reason to complain. I recently switched from pre-paid to post-paid and all had been ok thus far. But, I am sure that MNP is going to stir up a hornet's nest. Wait and watch is my mantra.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

Somebody correct me, I have a Blore airtel number with me.

1.Can I get the same number(all 10 digits) converted to Tamilnadu Airtel.

2. If 1 is not possible, can I transfer the airtel(10 digits) to Docomo Karnataka and use the same on roaming in Tamilnadu.

This way I would not loose much on roaming. Any other loopholes guys, this number is too dear for me to let go.

PS I converted it to pre paid.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:28   #67
Senior - BHPian

If some operator can provide better service and better pricing i will surely switch. And i just need to pay RS 19. If i don't like the service i can always come back. This will be real game changer in telecom sector in India.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:35   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Somebody correct me, I have a Blore airtel number with me.

1.Can I get the same number(all 10 digits) converted to Tamilnadu Airtel.

2. If 1 is not possible, can I transfer the airtel(10 digits) to Docomo Karnataka and use the same on roaming in Tamilnadu.

This way I would not loose much on roaming. Any other loopholes guys, this number is too dear for me to let go.

PS I converted it to pre paid.
1- Not possible.

2- Yes.

Quote:
If some operator can provide better service and better pricing i will surely switch. And i just need to pay RS 19. If i don't like the service i can always come back. This will be real game changer in telecom sector in India.
Once ported, you will HAVE to stay with a particular operator for 90 days minimum.

Last edited by Eddy : 2nd December 2009 at 15:37.
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Once ported, you will HAVE to stay with a particular operator for 90 days minimum.
Ya 3 months is good time to analyze new operator we got transfered.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:32   #70
BHPian

i have 2 airtel numbers
one prepaid that i have been using for ages and another postpaid that has a damn cheap gprs connection(Rs 200 monthly rental unlimited downloads)

I will convert the prepaid to vodaphone that way i enjoy wider coverage. airtel and vodafone. and continue with cheaper usage charges.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have had Airtel for more than 5 years, lately the coverage is pathetic, i have Indoor signal issues since 5 months though now its better. I got a Vodafone Post paid recently . Both are good. But i wish Airtel bucks up real quick .
Old 29th October 2010, 17:10   #72
Team-BHP Support

Finally its here
Techtree.com India > News > Telecom > Mobile Number Portability from Nov. 1

From 1st November, users in Haryana will be able to put in requests.

By mid november Delhi should be part of it too!
I plan to change from Reliance CDMA to Reliance GSM or Tata Docomo GSM as CDMA phones are very limited in choice
Old 29th October 2010, 18:32   #73
Team-BHP Support

Won't happen tanveer. Nothing before 20th Nov, and even that is optimistic
Old 30th October 2010, 02:00   #74
BHPian

I am getting off from Airtel.
Old 30th October 2010, 09:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

When switching to an another operator, what happens to your added on extras ? Like the BB plans, GPRS etc. How will the service providers handle that ? Not all of them will have same plans no ? Or are they going to standerise these add ons too ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks