Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 19:36   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Thanks a ton Biker, they do have the parts that i need and the postage seems pretty inexpensive compared to the previous offers got by me. Just one more doubt, how is the registered air mail shipping? Is it reliable enough when ordered to India?
When I placed my order for the black bezel for my bold, i had it shipped by courier. reached me in 48 hours.

When I order next, I plan to use the cheaper shipping option. I cant answer ur question, but I have read that the site is pretty reliable.

when ordering by post though, pls keep in mind that the India Postal Dept is extremely UNreliable.

I have had many shipments (mostly work related) reach me completely empty.
Old 10th November 2008, 21:15   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
advice - do 1 update at a time. dont update both the desktop software and the phone OS together. do the phone OS first and after a successful instal/sync, update the desktop software.
Somehow I did the upgrading task before reading your advise. I had gone through the instructions on blackberry site itself, somewhere I read that I need to upgrade my desktop version first, then install the handset version on the PC and connect it to the handset. I did the same, while connecting to the handset it asked for auto upgrade and the rest were taken care of by on screen instructions. Everything went well, though downloading the stuff from BB site took almost 4 hours on my 2mbps broadband, which usually completes in 45 mts from any other server.

After the upgrade I find the call voice options are not really functioning (treble boost, bass boost, normal etc functions on the call options). May be I have to search and find a solution to this too.
Old 15th November 2008, 16:31   #168
BHPian

Finally i got the Bold today, as i mentioned that i won it in the online contest.

BlackBerry Bold Contest Results

The people at the Mumbai back office were dilly-dallying with me since more than 2 weeks. Finally one mail yesterday to their HQ in Canada did the trick & got a call within 2 hours to collect the phone on Saturday.

Its an awesome device with the crispiest screen i've ever come across. The User Interface is very fast. Just still contemplating about deactivating Mobile Office & going for BB BIS on Airtel or get BB on Vodafone altogether, am still confused about it after hearing all that shajufx has gone through with Airtel Customer service. Any others using Airtel BB in Mumbai? Whats your feedback? Can you use NGPay & other 3rd party apps on BB connect?
Old 15th November 2008, 18:39   #169
BHPian

@anilkalvani. Congratulations on winning a Bold.
Is it an unlocked model? Any Network branding on the phone itself or software? (Do they sell them unlocked & unbranded in India?)
Looking forward to reading your experiences and opinions.
Old 4th December 2008, 21:38   #170
Senior - BHPian

Upgrading the desktop version to 4.5 was a mistake. Each time I try to open the Roxio media manager, it starts searching for updates and simultaneously installing the same new version and asks for installation CD. I searched all the forums available, this issue is a common one, so far 100s of suggestions and trouble shooting, but no positive result. Do we have someone with the latest version and trouble-free experience ?
Old 4th December 2008, 22:23   #171
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Bold for last 2 weeks - and i am utterly impressed with it. It is the best smart phone (previous phones : PERL & e61i) - i have ever used and it can even do a bit of multimedia.

On an Airtel BB connect & corporate BES, i am pretty happy with this device.
Old 4th December 2008, 22:26   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Upgrading the desktop version to 4.5 was a mistake. Each time I try to open the Roxio media manager, it starts searching for updates and simultaneously installing the same new version and asks for installation CD. I searched all the forums available, this issue is a common one, so far 100s of suggestions and trouble shooting, but no positive result. Do we have someone with the latest version and trouble-free experience ?
I am with Desktop manager 4.6 and it sucks big time. non-responsive and crawling. and i don't even want to get started on Roxio media manager....
Old 5th December 2008, 01:35   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I am with Desktop manager 4.6 and it sucks big time. non-responsive and crawling. and i don't even want to get started on Roxio media manager....
Using Nokia blackberry connect,

FYI for Bombay users - Mobile office (Airtel) & Blackberry = unlimited browsing. This is for all plans activated. May be some people may have the older plans offering unlimited mobile office downloads & uploads however as of now Mobile office (airtel) & Blackberry provides unlimited downloads.

Regards

M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 5th December 2008 at 01:38.
Old 5th December 2008, 09:57   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I have been using the Bold for last 2 weeks - and i am utterly impressed with it. It is the best smart phone (previous phones : PERL & e61i) - i have ever used and it can even do a bit of multimedia.

On an Airtel BB connect & corporate BES, i am pretty happy with this device.
Yup, after being a long time Nokia loyalist, shifting to the Bold has been a fulfilling experience. Using Airtel BIS and till now have not faced any issues. Downloaded Opera Mini 4.2, Messengers - Google Talk, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Facebook, Flickr, Myspace, iSkoot for Skype, Google Maps, Viigo, Worldmate Live, Youtube, Google Sync & a couple more.... trying if ngpay works, any idea?
Old 5th December 2008, 19:43   #175
Senior - BHPian

Oh Anil, thats a lot ! Its infact a mental satisfaction that we have all that on the phone. Do you really use all of them ? Some of them are third-party stuff (opera etc.), how do you use it ? I cant run opera on my BB unlimited (prosumer plan) as few other trading software too. I activated Mobile Office on my blackberry plan as an independent service and could run all these third-party stuff. But that was only a testing, cancelled Mobile Office in 3 days too. Paying for BB unlimited and Mobile Office together is not worth the money.
Old 6th December 2008, 09:11   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Oh Anil, thats a lot ! Its infact a mental satisfaction that we have all that on the phone. Do you really use all of them ? Some of them are third-party stuff (opera etc.), how do you use it ? I cant run opera on my BB unlimited (prosumer plan) as few other trading software too. I activated Mobile Office on my blackberry plan as an independent service and could run all these third-party stuff. But that was only a testing, cancelled Mobile Office in 3 days too. Paying for BB unlimited and Mobile Office together is not worth the money.
Well during work hours i mostly use msn, google talk, iSkoot & yahoo. Opera Mini works fine with BIS, i have no problem using it. Still hav'nt been able to figure out how to configure youtube videos. I am missing Ngpay where i used to book movie tickets & pay utility bills.
Old 6th December 2008, 10:36   #177
Senior - BHPian

One thing i really need in BB and missing is Skype over WiFi. There are some other IMS which allows me to make skype calls, but over EDGE. Anyone knows a way in which i can use BB to make skype calls over WiFi?
Old 17th December 2008, 15:37   #178
Team-BHP Support

Have been playing with BB phones for last few days and man its really a pain. Dont have a BB plan and only way to make it access internet is use Opera, then again it will not allow OTA download and installs.

Installed logicmail as email client, and it refuses to send emails from my office account (can receive the office emails IMAP), any better suggestion for an email client and way to install aps without the exorbitant BB plan?

Without BB plan the device is absolute disaster! Then again i got fed up with Omnia in 2 days, its too much of hype thats it, well details are for another thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th December 2008 at 15:40.
Old 17th December 2008, 21:35   #179
BHPian

I have an office given berry (8700). Anyone who has used it know how it is- a brick. As christmas comes, i looking to gift myself something (having gifted myself a old zen earlier this year, this seems to be the theme of the year). I was looking at the bold, which looks deadly (featurewise and literally); except that one of the reasons i want to change my present berry is because it is too big and i have to carry it in a hostler. Bold seems to be similarly big, and i am not keen to carry a hostler. Further my budget is maximum 20k. I can get 10k off if i buy through office, but i will have to return it if i leave the firm (dont want that). Curve will suffice also; it is not the top model, but is perfectly priced and shaped. Please advise
Old 26th December 2008, 18:21   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Using Nokia blackberry connect,

FYI for Bombay users - Mobile office (Airtel) & Blackberry = unlimited browsing. This is for all plans activated. May be some people may have the older plans offering unlimited mobile office downloads & uploads however as of now Mobile office (airtel) & Blackberry provides unlimited downloads.

Regards

M M
Are you on the 899 plan for this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks