Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 18:25   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You can infact configure your 8320 to use Wi-Fi to sync emails. I am not very sure of this because I do shut off my EDGE connection at home and use my router to download stuff on my Bold and it does sync emails with it.
@quickdraw - Does it have an option where it asks for which connection to choose? My E51 has this option. So if I am on the road, I choose GPRS, while at home I choose WLAN.

Quote:
The default browser is not that great on the Curve but theres always Opera Mini to end all your problems.
I had heard, and also read on this thread that Opera does not work with a WiFi connection. Please verify.

Quote:
Almost forgot you dont have to have the expensive BB plan to use net related services on the BB you can use the sada GPRS plans offered by many operators.
Are you sure about this? You mean I can still be on my plain vanilla 'pay per use' GPRS plan on Vodafone and use a BB? I was told by many users that with a BB you have to use the BB plan only, akin to using an iPhone plan from Vodafone if you have the iPhone.
Old 5th January 2009, 21:30   #212
BHPian

Nishant you have asked all my doubts, waiting for a revert from Quickdraw.
Old 6th January 2009, 04:05   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
@quickdraw - Does it have an option where it asks for which connection to choose? My E51 has this option. So if I am on the road, I choose GPRS, while at home I choose WLAN.
Its not the same thing on a BB, you can shut off the Mobile network to force it to use the Wifi connection. But the BIS service is great and fast and is quite worth it. Stop limiting it just to emails, think about replying to team-bhp posts and getting online on GTalk Yahoo and MSN all at once. The fun of BB Pin messaging (the BB messenger works only on BB phones) Facebook, Google Maps its a very rich internet experence.

Quote:
I had heard, and also read on this thread that Opera does not work with a WiFi connection. Please verify.
Indeed Opera doesnt work over wifi, thats why I would HIGHLY reccomend a Blackberry Bold. The browser is ages ahead. 8XXX devices are still stuck at OS 4.5 :(

Quote:
Are you sure about this? You mean I can still be on my plain vanilla 'pay per use' GPRS plan on Vodafone and use a BB? I was told by many users that with a BB you have to use the BB plan only, akin to using an iPhone plan from Vodafone if you have the iPhone.
Absolutely

Menu > Options > Advanced Options > TCP > *insert operator access point here.
Old 6th January 2009, 04:09   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am really impressed with your memory Jaggu ! I am sure you know what each page of this thread was discussing about and how desperately I have tried different things to get something working, but all in vein ! If you have something, you will not get another thing, I think that situation is only in India.

I have heard it a 100 times and proved it wrong on this thread itself. BB 899 comes from BB desk and MO comes from GPRS desk, both have nothing in common, both enjoy kicking customers between their desks for even basic details.

If you have BB plans, gprs and EDGE what you enjoy is through blackberry servers which has its own limitations (no support for 3rd party software). If you have MO plans, it comes from own servers of Airtel which has no relationship to blackberry servers. So, in plain words when you say '899 unlimited has MO unlimited by default', it means "if you marry Esha you will get Ahana by default", which is not true in reality, everyone knows that. But you can have both by legitimate individual request and seperate rentals paid as 2 independent plans (BB and MO). I did it myself and all my 3rd party programmes were working perfect. But a person who is paying 899 will not want to throw another bunch of 100s just for some extras.

Latest update on my BB unlimited Plan and Unlocking of BB Pearl 8120
I am still getting airtel SIM complaints at regular invervals (messages like 'call failed', 'sim invalid' etc). I am a priority customer who has a credit limit of 5000 per month, not a single late payment in 48 months. I have used Mobile Office for over a year on my previous handsets and at present use BB unlimited for few months. But I am fed up with the airtel service in many aspects. If you have no complaints, you are lucky. If you start with one, its endless, there is something waiting for you everyday, may be I am unlukcy with airtel. I have asked for a SIM replacement, they say its not required or I have to pay for it.

Action done in the new year ! I have requested for the 'unlocking of the handset' by stating an overseas travel, expected to get a result by 12th of Jan. Planning to shift to Vodafone with the unlocked handset and try to get a decent, trouble free service gradually. I dont think any mobile service in India is trouble-free ! But just a feeling that I might be luckier with Vodafone. "I have been hit a dozen times on the airtel ring (read boxing ring), is it wrong to try my luck on the vodafone ring ?" I think I am justified ! The "Happy to Help" pug is waiting for me ! Here I come !! cheers:
Sorry for the double post, forgot to respond to this. When both the posts get approved will delete one and combine them.

You are 100% correct, this is a major confusion that people have. I have been using Grey Market unlocked devices since very long and never had a issue with them, unless I accidentally damaged it physically and even in that case there is always Cellular Accessories - Motorola, BlackBerry, Samsung, BenQ-Siemens, Microsoft, HTC, LG, SonyEricsson, A The horrible extra premium you pay for a locked device is really not worth it honestly. Lastly do switch to Vodafone their CS is amazing. I used Airtel for 4 years and just shut it down. Have been very happy Vodafone customer for the last 2 years. They do take their CS seriously, but like every mobile operator have a few shortcomings.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:21   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not the same thing on a BB, you can shut off the Mobile network to force it to use the Wifi connection. But the BIS service is great and fast and is quite worth it. Stop limiting it just to emails, think about replying to team-bhp posts and getting online on GTalk Yahoo and MSN all at once. The fun of BB Pin messaging (the BB messenger works only on BB phones) Facebook, Google Maps its a very rich internet experence.
I am sure it must be, but then is it worth the extra Rs 899 or Rs 1099 per month as fixed charge for the BIS plan? I also use my Gtalk, Gmail, Yahoo, FB etc through GPRS and with extreme usage, never exceed a billing of Rs 200 in any month. Would just like to know what additional experience will I get by paying the premium? Especially when I dont have a company provided BB plan.
Old 6th January 2009, 10:43   #216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am sure it must be, but then is it worth the extra Rs 899 or Rs 1099 per month as fixed charge for the BIS plan? I also use my Gtalk, Gmail, Yahoo, FB etc through GPRS and with extreme usage, never exceed a billing of Rs 200 in any month. Would just like to know what additional experience will I get by paying the premium? Especially when I dont have a company provided BB plan.
Push email secured by BB technology, thats it maybe depending on the handset a nice qwerty hardware key board, cant think of anything much, after using the handset for couple of days.
Old 6th January 2009, 11:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Push email secured by BB technology, thats it maybe depending on the handset a nice qwerty hardware key board, cant think of anything much, after using the handset for couple of days.
But what if my organization does not have a BB Server? The only option I can think of:
1. Mail for Exchange
2. BB Push emails via POP
Other needs can be fulfilled via a QWERT handset of Nokia as well I guess. Shifting over to BB would make me lose Symbian, something thats too lovely to work with!
Old 6th January 2009, 14:15   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used Airtel for 4 years and just shut it down. Have been very happy Vodafone customer for the last 2 years. They do take their CS seriously, but like every mobile operator have a few shortcomings.
Thanks buddy, this is something which I wanted to hear from someone with Vodafone. If you go through this whole thread, you can hardly count anyone with a vodafone but majority with airtel. So, I didnt receive any feedback from anyone on the difference. Anyway, I have made up my mind, will get the SIM today itself, gradually shifting BB services to the vodafone as my handset gets unlocked by airtel within a week as promised. Their commitment is max of 12 days which will be over by 12th Jan.

Quote:
But what if my organization does not have a BB Server?
Your organization and server does not matter if you prefer to go for a Prosumer plan with BB. I dont think anyone can compare a full swing Blackberry service on a BB handset to anything else. This is the highest grade of business tool as of today. Once you get used to the BB handset and the services, its tough to change your mind to anything else. Trust my word, its from experience (I have used MO on symbian/windows based handsets).

Last edited by shajufx : 6th January 2009 at 14:17.
Old 6th January 2009, 14:23   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your organization and server does not matter if you prefer to go for a Prosumer plan with BB. I dont think anyone can compare a full swing Blackberry service on a BB handset to anything else. This is the highest grade of business tool as of today. Once you get used to the BB handset and the services, its tough to change your mind to anything else. Trust my word, its from experience (I have used MO on symbian/windows based handsets).
I agree with the benefits of BB Prosumer plan. But what I would like to know is whether it is justified to the extent of paying Rs 900 extra (Vodafone Prosumer plan is Rs 1099 pm, while my Corporate GPRS plan with Unlimited data is Rs 199 pm)?

I am not too fond of being online 24x7, when anyways I am in front of my comp for atleast 8-10 hours daily. I get to use my GPRS only when I am on the road. At home I use WiFi for everything on the phone. Be it mails, Messengers or Browsing.

I myself am a fan of BBs, without having used one extensively. But somehow, I am not able to justify the high initial investment+high operating costs pm, especially since I am paying both the costs from my own pocket.
Old 6th January 2009, 15:10   #220
BHPian

Nishant you are exactly in my situation brother. Hesistation to pay Rs. 1k per month for BB, 8 - 10 days in front of computer, wifi at home and same doubts about BB.

With you raising all the doubts, I dont feel the need to post mine.
Old 6th January 2009, 19:33   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I myself am a fan of BBs, without having used one extensively. But somehow, I am not able to justify the high initial investment+high operating costs pm, especially since I am paying both the costs from my own pocket.
In your situation its a clean NO NO to any BB plans. Its not really worth throwing that 1k a month for just instant email delivery or occasional messenger usage. Reason is very clear in your post itself. Being online on the PC for the working hours of the day, having a very economical gprs plan from the company for rest of the hours, company not sponsoring either handset nor the plan, its a very loud NO NO.

I am almost similar to your situation; being online on PC for an average of 10 hours a day, company not sponsoring handset nor BB plan, to add to all these miseries, I am not getting the professional software (forex trading mobile platform) allowed by the BB service because its a 3rd party stuff. So, in fact MO is a better option for me too. But I wanted to use and see all the factors that a BB customer in India can get. Few months of usage, I have learned a lot of things. Now shifting from Airtel to Vodafone, I will be able to post something from that action too in 2 weeks time. Later I will have to really sit and think if I should stick to a BB plan or move back to a windows mobile with MO. I will update here as usual !

My first hand experience at the Vodafone store
I went to the 'Happy to Help' store and was mightly impressed ! As I had a word with the store manager prior to the visit (esteem mall, hebbal), he had already found some fancy number for me which would usually sell for Rs.5000 just like that (numbers like 777, 7777 etc.), but did not take a single penny from me after varifying my airtel bill. Application, passport copy, photograph and few smiles, SIM is already given. It will be activated in 24 hours. I wanted atleast 777 in my number, but he went to the extend of giving me six 7s in my number, four of them in a row as 7777. I felt very happy and I am waiting for the activation. Updation followed soon !

Last edited by shajufx : 6th January 2009 at 19:41.
Old 6th January 2009, 22:51   #222
BHPian

Hi shajux

Good to hear your experience with Vodafone so far. I have been a vodafone customer for over 3 years and had paid monthly 15,000 - 20,000 in bills . Everything was great until recently when I broke my BB and decided to switch to E90 instead! . I was absolutly not under the impression that I wont be able to use 3rd party apps and browse internet with the Blackberry Connect thing.

So I called up Airtel and they said they do support this , hence I decided to get another simcard and switched my BB to Airtel. I also did get the 7777 number which costs for 5000 for free after verifying my Vodafone bills.

Yes I did have a horrifying time trying to deal with the Airtel guys after I activated my Blackberry and had troubles getting the GPRS settings.

I got my this months bill and I did was charged for Blackberry rental ( 899 ) + extra GPRS usage. To this I called up the Blackberry Support and informed them that they had indeed told me that GPRS was free. I was then transfered to Billing which waived off the 1400 rs. extra GPRS usage today.

Also I found Airtel's GPRS/EDGE to be faster than Vodafone. But yes Vodafone's customer service is defintely way better.

I have just got the Bold recently so I will activate my BB with Vodafone now and use MO with Airtel on E90 with Seven ( Helps when travelling Abroad )
Old 7th January 2009, 03:25   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See I have a neat suggestion for folks who are hesitant for the high initial charge so that they might make up their mind. If you sit on a computer most of the time in your day, why dont you go in for the limited plan on the Blackberry? I think it costs 249Rs + the internet usage charge. The data charges are only charged for the data used by the browser and additional applications and the emails are totally unlimited. That way you can get to know the feel and maybe decide what you want. But I suggest you be careful as I use a unlimited plan and every month it shows what the usage charges are and they ultimately discount it in the bill marking it as *unlimited plan* the usually runs into around 17~23k per month for me. Ill attach a grab too so you can see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Totally agree, there is a reason that big orgizinations and demanding users trust their Blackberries and nothing else for their needs. I mean just think there has to be a reason that its so popular and loved by enterprise users right?

Quote:
But what if my organization does not have a BB Server? The only option I can think of:
1. Mail for Exchange
2. BB Push emails via POP
Other needs can be fulfilled via a QWERT handset of Nokia as well I guess. Shifting over to BB would make me lose Symbian, something thats too lovely to work with!
Your organization does not have to have a BB server. The BB server is only reqired on the BES plan (Blackberry Enterprise Server) and not the genric BIS plan that all of us use. You can configure any *any* email provider on it. I have been a avid phone franatic since donkeys years and have used them all Linux, S60 (and variants), UIQ, WinMo and nothing comes close. The amount of third party applications available for Blackberry platform are vast!

Quote:
Thanks buddy, this is something which I wanted to hear from someone with Vodafone. If you go through this whole thread, you can hardly count anyone with a vodafone but majority with airtel. So, I didnt receive any feedback from anyone on the difference. Anyway, I have made up my mind, will get the SIM today itself, gradually shifting BB services to the vodafone as my handset gets unlocked by airtel within a week as promised. Their commitment is max of 12 days which will be over by 12th Jan.
This is a first time I am hearing any Indian customer (who bought their handset officially) saying that the provider is giving them the unlock code. I am very skeptical that it will go through. Please do post the update here. And Vodafone does have its shortcoming but its by far the best operator in our sub-continent.

Quote:

Please refer to my above response, and I am a student and using the BB plan for over a year. Its quite justified and if you are intending to use it not for messengers and heavy duty downloading I would suggest go for the limited plan. In the US almost all corporates give their employees BB's and its sad its not the same in India, research shows they boost productivity and save a person 45 minutes a day as they dont have to run to a console to respond to emails and do mudane things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Nishant you are exactly in my situation brother. Hesistation to pay Rs. 1k per month
Please refer to the post above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Hi shajux

Good to hear your experience with Vodafone so far. I have been a vodafone customer for over 3 years and had paid monthly 15,000 - 20,000 in bills . Everything was great until recently when I broke my BB and decided to switch to E90 instead! . I was absolutely not under the impression that I wont be able to use 3rd party apps and browse internet with the Blackberry Connect thing.

So I called up Airtel and they said they do support this , hence I decided to get another simcard and switched my BB to Airtel. I also did get the 7777 number which costs for 5000 for free after verifying my Vodafone bills.

Yes I did have a horrifying time trying to deal with the Airtel guys after I activated my Blackberry and had troubles getting the GPRS settings.

I got my this months bill and I did was charged for Blackberry rental ( 899 ) + extra GPRS usage. To this I called up the Blackberry Support and informed them that they had indeed told me that GPRS was free. I was then transfered to Billing which waived off the 1400 rs. extra GPRS usage today.

Also I found Airtel's GPRS/EDGE to be faster than Vodafone. But yes Vodafone's customer service is defintely way better.

I have just got the Bold recently so I will activate my BB with Vodafone now and use MO with Airtel on E90 with Seven ( Helps when travelling Abroad )
I can feel your pain, I sold my Bold yesterday and am on a E90 and I cant stand it!!! But have no choice as I wont have the storm in my hands for at least another 4 days. *Have to resist buying a Javelin*

Please see attached :
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-picture2.gif
Old 7th January 2009, 13:37   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
why dont you go in for the limited plan on the Blackberry? I think it costs 249Rs + the internet usage charge. The data charges are only charged for the data used by the browser and additional applications and the emails are totally unlimited.
I doubt the above suggestion. Charges for data usage include everything. Opening an attachment from the mail, going on messengers, using google map etc. everything add to the damage. Certain plans have specific limits on the total data usage, once that is crossed, its a killing by all means ! So, in paper it might look like saving on a smaller plan, but eventually it can overkill even the unlimited plan bill amount. Just my thinking.

Quote:
This is a first time I am hearing any Indian customer (who bought their handset officially) saying that the provider is giving them the unlock code.
What do you mean by buying it officially ? If you meant bought with bill and warranty, yes I have got it officially. Any provider can give you the unlock code on request. The request is placed to the network provider from you and its passed to the RIM in canada. RIM canada issues the unlock code to the network provider and its handed over to you, usually all within 12 days. There are also methods to unlock your phone by paying online through private agencies.
Old 7th January 2009, 22:01   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
Are you on the 899 plan for this?
Hi Spiff, yes I am on the 899 plan for Blackberry access.

Regards

M M

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks