Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2010, 07:19   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Hi ttrk,

I have tried all possible ways including Options > Advanced > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS.

I also tired Options -> Status -> type test and from the menu key ran the GPS test but that also failed.

Need more inputs.

@ ashthedivx, can you pull another trick off again.
I had same issue with my 8900 when I got initially. Then went out in open air and waited for 10-15min to get the first GPS signal.

So, try it out..
Old 15th July 2010, 11:07   #2402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi ttrk,

I have tried all possible ways including Options > Advanced > GPS > Menu > Refresh GPS.

I also tired Options -> Status -> type test and from the menu key ran the GPS test but that also failed.

Need more inputs.

Only trick is to sit under open sky for 15 mins , it will work mate.

1) Uninstall Google Maps

2) Make sure you have enabled options under Options > Advanced > GPS

GPS Data Source - ON
GPS Service - Location ON
Location Data - Enabled
Location Aiding - Enabled

3) Install Google Maps.

BTW, Are you able to browser via your Blackberry since Goggle Maps uses Data for maps downloading ??
Old 15th July 2010, 12:10   #2403
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
You definitely have the answers you wanted.

It saved me a walk home to check the settings since the phone is with my wife. That is a 8310.

Please try the time test as mentioned. But I am sure that I did not have to wait for 15 minutes even for the first time. Now it would be less than 20 seconds.

No BIS plan on the phone. Google Maps works well with the regular GPRS plan.

All the best.
Old 15th July 2010, 12:11   #2404
BANNED

I have just got my 8330 (cracked). Cost me less than of what a kosher Reliance unit will cost. Everything works except for BIS, BES, and MMS. Installed both G-Maps and G-Mobile apps.

Tried the GPS and got a lock outdoors within two minutes. Centred on where I was but a location radius of 4.5km! However, I am told this could be tower triangulation (assisted GPS) ant not necessarily satellite based. Furthermore, my experience in Nokia is that it takes ages to lock. The best is htc, locks fast and is accurate. My son has used it in Bangalore extensively.

None of these can match a good dedicated GPS system.
Old 15th July 2010, 13:13   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Does anybody have any update on the launch of BB Pearl 3G 9100 and 9105? They were showcased at an event on 10th June or so but no information post-that.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:27   #2406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

You definitely have the answers you wanted.

It saved me a walk home to check the settings since the phone is with my wife. That is a 8310.

Please try the time test as mentioned. But I am sure that I did not have to wait for 15 minutes even for the first time. Now it would be less than 20 seconds.

No BIS plan on the phone. Google Maps works well with the regular GPRS plan.

All the best.
Under normal circumstances it should not take more then 2-3 mins. However, as I said it depends upon network and device placement as Gmaps is an A-GPS app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have just got my 8330 (cracked). Cost me less than of what a kosher Reliance unit will cost. Everything works except for BIS, BES, and MMS. Installed both G-Maps and G-Mobile apps.

Tried the GPS and got a lock outdoors within two minutes. Centred on where I was but a location radius of 4.5km! However, I am told this could be tower triangulation (assisted GPS) ant not necessarily satellite based. Furthermore, my experience in Nokia is that it takes ages to lock. The best is htc, locks fast and is accurate. My son has used it in Bangalore extensively.

None of these can match a good dedicated GPS system.
You must had checked the radius kms at 1st time only, if you are using regularly try it now you must be getting your position withing some meters.

Well, as you have answered your question yourself only. HTC is fastest since it uses pure GPS apps such as satguide/mmi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Does anybody have any update on the launch of BB Pearl 3G 9100 and 9105? They were showcased at an event on 10th June or so but no information post-that.
Tanveer, it should not be done before August in any case.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:40   #2407
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
You must had checked the radius kms at 1st time only, if you are using regularly try it now you must be getting your position within some meters.
Had posted in rimweb.in. One of the Gurus there doctor Mufaddal is sure that the GPS on the 8330 (CDMA) is based on the GPRS and not true GPS. Did not bother again. Found using Garmin GPS far more useful.
Old 15th July 2010, 15:46   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had posted in rimweb.in. One of the Gurus there doctor Mufaddal is sure that the GPS on the 8330 (CDMA) is based on the GPRS and not true GPS. Did not bother again. Found using Garmin GPS far more useful.
For sure he is very correct sir and that's what I said A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System), which means GPS will take help of external resources i.e. Mobile towers, GPRS to locate the device. Blackberry's based GPS software ain't out till yet. Though Garmin do offer a BB product but is not successful as such due to limited maps availability for BB.

Garmin GPS is certainly best of the lot due the software being used.
Old 16th July 2010, 10:22   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Only trick is to sit under open sky for 15 mins , it will work mate.

1) Uninstall Google Maps

2) Make sure you have enabled options under Options > Advanced > GPS

GPS Data Source - ON
GPS Service - Location ON
Location Data - Enabled
Location Aiding - Enabled

3) Install Google Maps.

BTW, Are you able to browser via your Blackberry since Goggle Maps uses Data for maps downloading ??
I was out for 3 hours trying to get the GPS working, but even after 3 hours i still get a message saying GPS Update failed. i tried all steps and i am able to browser via your Blackberry since Goggle Maps uses Data for maps downloading.

Small question, do i need to crack or unlcok the device???? if yes then please advise on how to.

I have the Vodafone BIS 899 plan on my BB 8900, Please suggest how can I make max use of this and also how do i configure gmail account on the BB.

Is there a way to download movies on to the BB.

Thanks for all the help
Old 16th July 2010, 11:24   #2410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was out for 3 hours trying to get the GPS working, but even after 3 hours i still get a message saying GPS Update failed. i tried all steps and i am able to browser via your Blackberry since Goggle Maps uses Data for maps downloading.

Small question, do i need to crack or unlcok the device???? if yes then please advise on how to.

I have the Vodafone BIS 899 plan on my BB 8900, Please suggest how can I make max use of this and also how do i configure gmail account on the BB.

Is there a way to download movies on to the BB.

Thanks for all the help
Strange !!

Aren't you even able to locate your position via GPRS ?? Seems something is wrong with you device, get in touch with Service center people ASAP.

No cracking is required as Gmaps is free of cost.

No you cannot download movies directly unless and untill you decide to install a BB utorrent

Cheers
Old 16th July 2010, 13:43   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Had posted in rimweb.in. One of the Gurus there doctor Mufaddal is sure that the GPS on the 8330 (CDMA) is based on the GPRS and not true GPS. Did not bother again.
Yes, Sir. I saw it there. I am still not sure about the answer.

Quote:
For sure he is very correct sir and that's what I said A-GPS (Assisted Global Positioning System), which means GPS will take help of external resources i.e. Mobile towers, GPRS to locate the device. Blackberry's based GPS software ain't out till yet. Though Garmin do offer a BB product but is not successful as such due to limited maps availability for BB.
I have a limited experience with my wife's BB 8130. There in Google Maps, it locates the position immediately based on the cell towers and in a flash it becomes a small blue dot (and arrow) with an error of less than 30 metres. Same as in my HTC Windows mobile.

Since she does not like scratches etc, I avoid handling her set, but I am sure it has regular GPS in addition to the other aided modes.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:00   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Some time back, I too tried to get the Gps service on my BB storm 2, but whenever I try to locate or find some place/route/destination, I get a reply ''Unable to acquire Satellite - Try again''. I even tried standing in a open place but same response.
AFter few try, I stopped it. I am not worried much about this feature since I have a dedicted GPS unit from Mapmyindia.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:15   #2413
Senior - BHPian

My BB 9700 which i had bought three months ago from AT&T Singapore died on me. It showed me a blank screen with a no battery sign. I sent the phone to the official BB guys in Andheri(W) and they kept the phone for a little over a week only to tell me that it is a grey market phone according to them and they cannot repair it or open it to check. I had no choice but to take the phone back.
A few days later my Sis-in -law told me of the Blackberry shop at Nepeansea road and she had bought a few things from there so she knew the person. I said what the hell let me give it a try. took the phone there and they said they would have to check it. 2.5 weeks later after my calling them up i was told to come collect the phone. I went there and the bottom bit just below the keypad was off some other phone. i asked them to change it back and they said there tech guy was not there and he had kept it somewhere. I left the phone with them and then 3hrs later i get a call to collect the phone. The phone was still not repaired and now i was left with only one choice take the phone to singapore to have it fixed as it was under warrenty.
A week later i flew down to Singapore armed with the Box and Warrenty card. Went to the shop and the person saw the phone and told me it has been opened. I told him that i had tried to get it fixed as i did not know when i would come here next and it would be cheaper having the phone fixed in India then paying the courier cost to send it to Singapore. The person was kind enough and said he would have it done under the warrenty. The Fault he said was a simple reboot of the prgms and nothing else. I waited for Half an hour and there he appeared again, this time with a question on his face. He asked me if the phone at the place was opened up as in dismantaled? I told him i did not know as they said they would check the phone for the fault. I also mentioned that it was an official BB store. He just held my hand and took me to the service section and showed me the phone. My screen was broken and the parts on the circuit were replaced with faulty and some parts were missing. He also told me the locks on the side were broken. My phone was no longer under warrenty and he told me it is cheaper to buy a new phone then get this repaired.
When i came back i went to the store and told them and the guys refused to even acknowledge that i or my phone had even gone there. I really cant do much as i threw out the recipt he had given. My BB 9700 is used as a paper wieght now. Guys i just want to get it to your notice that please do not trust Shop guys weather you know them from before or not. please check or research the problem with others so that you are aware of what the solution is. I did not do any of this and have paid the price. I dont think i would venture into another BB as one experience was enough to teach me that my Nokia's have never troubled even after going through 1st floor falls.

Last edited by speedy : 16th July 2010 at 14:20.
Old 16th July 2010, 14:21   #2414
BANNED

@asthedivx: I had a similar problem. Then I found that Google Mobile Apps had not been installed. Downloaded and Installed it and GPS worked like a (not so good) dream!
Old 16th July 2010, 15:12   #2415
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
My BB 9700 which i had bought three months ago from AT&T Singapore died on me. It showed me a blank screen with a no battery sign. I sent the phone to the official BB guys in Andheri(W) and they kept the phone for a little over a week only to tell me that it is a grey market phone according to them and they cannot repair it or open it to check. I had no choice but to take the phone back.
A few days later my Sis-in -law told me of the Blackberry shop at Nepeansea road and she had bought a few things from there so she knew the person. I said what the hell let me give it a try. took the phone there and they said they would have to check it. 2.5 weeks later after my calling them up i was told to come collect the phone. I went there and the bottom bit just below the keypad was off some other phone. i asked them to change it back and they said there tech guy was not there and he had kept it somewhere. I left the phone with them and then 3hrs later i get a call to collect the phone. The phone was still not repaired and now i was left with only one choice take the phone to singapore to have it fixed as it was under warrenty.
A week later i flew down to Singapore armed with the Box and Warrenty card. Went to the shop and the person saw the phone and told me it has been opened. I told him that i had tried to get it fixed as i did not know when i would come here next and it would be cheaper having the phone fixed in India then paying the courier cost to send it to Singapore. The person was kind enough and said he would have it done under the warrenty. The Fault he said was a simple reboot of the prgms and nothing else. I waited for Half an hour and there he appeared again, this time with a question on his face. He asked me if the phone at the place was opened up as in dismantaled? I told him i did not know as they said they would check the phone for the fault. I also mentioned that it was an official BB store. He just held my hand and took me to the service section and showed me the phone. My screen was broken and the parts on the circuit were replaced with faulty and some parts were missing. He also told me the locks on the side were broken. My phone was no longer under warrenty and he told me it is cheaper to buy a new phone then get this repaired.
When i came back i went to the store and told them and the guys refused to even acknowledge that i or my phone had even gone there. I really cant do much as i threw out the recipt he had given. My BB 9700 is used as a paper wieght now. Guys i just want to get it to your notice that please do not trust Shop guys weather you know them from before or not. please check or research the problem with others so that you are aware of what the solution is. I did not do any of this and have paid the price. I dont think i would venture into another BB as one experience was enough to teach me that my Nokia's have never troubled even after going through 1st floor falls.
If im right you are talking about UNITED. They are absolutely useless and they have messed up the phones of more than 1 friend of mine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks