Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2010, 17:31   #2521
Team-BHP Support

I was intending to get onto to BB primrarily for the email services. So should I just forget about it instead? Any other advantages of the 9700 over say an E72?

manson.
Old 13th August 2010, 17:38   #2522
BHPian

Note: For PREPAID, Airtel and Vodafone (I haven't checked the rest of the networks) have revised their unlimited personal BIS plans prices to Rs.399/- per month

This applies for prepaid only, postpaid is still at Rs.899/-

Link to Airtel site: Airtel
Old 13th August 2010, 18:37   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@johnda: Mine is a 'cracked' BB. So no BB services or MMS. So I have to get a data plan.
So is mine, it was a Vodaphone BB 9700, a friend got it unlocked/(cracked) when it went in for some repairs..
I still have the Vodaphone logo etc while booting.
I had an existing plan with Idea on my old 8800. I logged on to the site and 'changed device' I'm doing jus fine.

I may be explaining a totally different segment.

But in any case, you'll need only the basic user plan.
Old 13th August 2010, 18:49   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Even I run on strom , typing is a hectic job in BB touch screen models , The display will start bugging you after 6 months use.
Hey, not bad... it bugged me after 10 mins
Old 14th August 2010, 13:48   #2525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I was intending to get onto to BB primrarily for the email services. So should I just forget about it instead? Any other advantages of the 9700 over say an E72?

manson.
Any insights on the above?
Old 15th August 2010, 01:43   #2526

Bit The Bullet. Bought a BB Bold 2. WHY THE HELL DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO COMPLICATED!!!! anyways, just getting used to it by now.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:04   #2527
BANNED

@johnda: On CDMA cracking is much more that just unlocking. You do not get the BIS/BES features. Still trying to figure out the data plan of Reliance to use - I am thinking of the Swift 30 plan - Rs.300 for 15 hrs peak/30 hrs off peak. Add usage Rs.0.60/0.30 per min.

@cyrus: Intitally the BB interface is maddening, but you grow into it very quickly. Find the Nokia interface of my wife's mobile maddening now. Have been with Nokia's since 1999 and got a BB barely a month ago. Must add I found my son's htc Hero (CDMA again) brilliant, but for the touchkeys!
Old 15th August 2010, 14:10   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Any insights on the above?
Well, not exatcly direct benfits but talking of in-directs benifits they can be like

Much stable Platform.
Much stable OS.
Better support available online.
Better overall quality of product.
.... Lots of such indirect benefits.

Last but not the least better brand value.
Old 15th August 2010, 14:17   #2529
BANNED

@manson; @ashthedivx; Unless you are after encryption E72 (my daughter has one) push mail is as good as BB.

However, as a platform BB is more stable that Nokia - they have a new OS coming (after far too long). However, Android takes the cake from both of them already. Since it is an open OS with Google behind it I suspect that may be the future. Apps available are already into 10's of thousands, mostly free. So today for me it is BB or Android.

BBs snob value is also tops at the moment.
Old 15th August 2010, 15:36   #2530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@manson; @ashthedivx; Unless you are after encryption E72 (my daughter has one) push mail is as good as BB.

However, as a platform BB is more stable that Nokia - they have a new OS coming (after far too long). However, Android takes the cake from both of them already. Since it is an open OS with Google behind it I suspect that may be the future. Apps available are already into 10's of thousands, mostly free. So today for me it is BB or Android.

BBs snob value is also tops at the moment.
As your device is CDMA, you are limited to 2 providers only.
Reliance http://www.rcom.co.in/Rcom/personal/...pdf/E-lite.pdf
and
TATA

Reliance would give you seemless connectivity.

I don't think you cannot subscribe if you have a handset from aftermarket.
Ask them that you have come from abroad or from another provider, I am sure they would give you elite plan atleast on postpaid.
If you say cracked handset then no one would give you a data plan.

I am using BB 8330 since 2 yrs. from Reliance but being on elite plan I miss the browser, twitter, and few other things. and can't dump a handset which costs 28k when i took it.

I wanted vodafone but those morons said make a DD, submit docs, we'll verify everything then wait 7 days for delivery this even when I am vodafone customer from those essar cellphone age i think 2001,
so I had no other option than to go with reliance.

If you have a GSM handset, its good as you can go pre-paid, switch operator anytime, use browser based apps via normal gprs plan and mails using BB economy plan.

I will check Android phone sometime as they are getting very tempting and with so many apps available i don't think it would be of limited use.
Old 16th August 2010, 11:41   #2531
BANNED

@ghpk: Thanks I will check it out. I can always be an ex-Verizon customer!

In fact I am waiting for Mobile Portability to come in to dump my BSNL (Nokia 5830, event though it is 3G) for another operator. I may also dump my Reliance (I have had it from DAPO days for a GSM). The operators on my radar are Vodaphone, Airtel and Aircel. I know it will involve dumping my BB8330 but so be it. Most likely one of the phones will be a BB and the second htc-Android.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:52   #2532
BANNED

Slightly OT but I need this information.

As I have a Crackberry (i.e., cracked Blackberry CDMA with no access to BB services) I need to get a data plan from Reliance. I am on L0 , i.e. pay as you go with Rs.25/- per entry and Re.0.05 per 10kb and 0.5per MB data. It is the frist and second which kill, and got a bill for 3.8k last month (downloading software, testing out GPS, etc.).

I am postpaid and I have to subscribe to a data plan. By the looks of of the MB based plans all attract the 0.05 per 10kb net connect charges in addition to the plan charges (lowest is Re. 0.50per MB).

On the other hand the time based plans are silent on the net connect. So the options I have are 'Pay as You Go' at Rs.174 pm and Re.0.60/0.30 per minute. Alternate is Swift 30 which is 15h/30h with additional usage at 0.50per min.

It has also been suggested that I got buy an L1 from a DAPO user and then go for a data plan (like Rs.99 for 350MB per month).

Any person with experience with either of the first two.
Old 16th August 2010, 15:59   #2533
JVH
Senior - BHPian

B'lore BBians - where do you go for fixing occasional hitches and irritants?

My Curve 8900's roller ball has a mind of its own. It operates perfectly fine one day and refuses to the next. Scrolling becomes a nightmare

TIA!
Old 16th August 2010, 20:51   #2534
BHPian

i have a problem,
my blackberry starts and a message saying app error 523 comes on
and if i reset it comes back
and i cant use my phonw
what do i do
dont have a backup of my phone book contacts
Old 16th August 2010, 21:20   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme power View Post
i have a problem,
my blackberry starts and a message saying app error 523 comes on
and if i reset it comes back
and i cant use my phonw
what do i do
dont have a backup of my phone book contacts
Hope your comfortable with using computers (in a technical kind of way).
If yes, here is your answer - Error 523 & Java Loader - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

Did this to bring my sisters phone back to life & yes, to backup contacts & other data as well before completely wiping the device (blackberry speak for format). Her phone is back to normal now.

Hope it helps.

Most Viewed