Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:44   #2806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
I have never set my phone up for backup, sync contacts, media, etc.
I understand that I need to install the desktop software from the cd I got with the phone, which I am currently doing.
The chap at Mobile Store transferred my contacts from the N95 via multiple sim cards, but he seems to have overlooked a bunch. I intend to delete all of that and transfer it again. The memory card for both phones is the same, so I just swapped the two, but I still have data on the phone memory of the N95 that I want on the 9700.

For the email, I have two work email accounts which are on bom5.vsnl.net.in, and I even want my hotmail and gmail accounts on this. How can I configure the same?
Does to enterprise server thing imply anything on my office email accounts?

Any inputs/tips with setting up the phone would be highly appreciated. Btw, I already miss the 'say caller name' feature from my E71 & N95 on this phone.

manson.
easiest way to setup your email ID's would be to first get the "blackberry plan" activated from your provider, voda, airtel or whatever you use.

once you are activated, they'll provide you a login password to a interface which you can access using PC browser which will have URL like
airtel...blackberry.com or vodafone...blackberry. com once you login there you can set up the email accounts more easily.

you'll need to setup a user account like yourname@youroperator.blackberry
which will be push the mails to your handset instantly.

You would have 2 options to get mails pushed on your handset.
1). set up your external account to forward mails to "yourname@youroperator.blackberry" which will come to your handset instantly.
or
2). Set up a email account at your account management interface to configure your external mails account and save its details so blackberry server can login and pull mails and then forward it to your handset.
you'll need :-
your email ID @ source account
your account password
incoming mail server
port if different from standard one (mostly not required, as default should work)
once you save these info into your operator provided interface, you will get updated settings on handset and mails should start coming in a few minutes.

However sometimes its better to forward your important mails to "yourname@youroperator.blackberry" as this ID would not wait for next pop3 session before pushing mails to your handheld.
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:45   #2807
Team-BHP Support

Techno: Follow the instructions from Val a few posts above, you will configure you various email accounts in minutes.

EDITGHPK: I am pretty sorted on the email. I activated the BB plan in the morning, and have configured all my email addresses on the phone. All of them seem to work perfectly besdies one. My hotmail account seems to be refreshing every short while with much older emails. Why is this happening, and how can I correct this?

manson.

Last edited by manson : 3rd November 2010 at 01:50.
Old 3rd November 2010, 01:47   #2808
Senior - BHPian

Manson, yes I did that & man its really very simple
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:55   #2809
BHPian

@techno welcome to the jungle :P yes apps only install to device m$emory. And with gps check out the waze app and see the page here on the forum. Also note that adding apps through anything other than app world may cost you browsing charges and operators are finicky. So try and get apps from app world only. Youtube streaming is chargeable on all operators so watch out. Wifi is free as ever!

@manson in BBDM you have more than a few sync options. You can sync from just phone to pc (useful for contacts the first time) and then from pc to phone (useful for tasks etc) and then also do a two way which keeps both up-to-date. Then under general you will also find the options for device backup. I do once a week backups.

To both of you'll the firmware update is for the phone. Now a few tricks so you can get what I'm saying. BB has a cool feature called autotext. For example typing 'myver' and then adding a space gives you something like this > 8520/5.0.0.509. The first bit is the handset model. The second is the firmware. Now devices in india were shipped with firmware 4.6 which is quite stable but is the boring older sibling. So just get the update from the BB website and all your themes and softwares will work just fine. Not that they won't work out of the boz they will. But os 5 is lightyears better.

Secondly people will keep asking you for your pin. That's your BBM identity number unique to each phone. Rather than go hunting for it just simply type 'mypin' and you will get something that looks like this pin:00XX00X0

@manson for your other question. No its just a voice dialer really! Nothing great. Out of the box it works ok. But teaching it is always good.

Last edited by valhallen.282 : 3rd November 2010 at 07:58.
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:19   #2810
BANNED

As per the latest survey the pecking order in smart phone os/s is Symbian (Nokia) followed by Android, which is coming up really fast. Android has overtaken BB etc. There was another report that iPhone is outselling all.

We need some reviews of the Torch to see how well has BB managed to put in a touch interface. Since with OS6 it should be a finished product.

Also, TRAI has released a discussion paper to the Service Providers on making IMEI registration mandatory.
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:57   #2811
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Torch, used for 3 days, dumped the Torch.

I did not like it one bit, perhaps if I switched from the iPhone to the Torch I would like it better. But I have gone back to my Bold2 as I find it sooo much more comfortable to use.

The OS6 although is a refreshing change with its added features, it has it's share of annoying bits and is not as user friendly.

I think the Bold 9780 will be my next upgrade.
Old 3rd November 2010, 14:51   #2812
BHPian

OS6 for Blackberry Bold 9700 leaked.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:23   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Fellows

I might be be picking up a Blackberry this evening. It would be the Curve 8520 or the 9300 3G. I heard there is not a substancial price difference between the two. Is the 9300 worth it or should I stick to the 8520.

Also would my Samsung Bluetooth handsfree be compatible with the Blackberry Handset?
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:35   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Fellows

I might be be picking up a Blackberry this evening. It would be the Curve 8520 or the 9300 3G. I heard there is not a substancial price difference between the two. Is the 9300 worth it or should I stick to the 8520.

Also would my Samsung Bluetooth handsfree be compatible with the Blackberry Handset?
The 8520 and the 9300 are exactly the same but I love the 9300's build quality. Its fantastic! And os 6 is there.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:42   #2815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
For example typing 'myver' and then adding a space gives you something like this > 8520/5.0.0.509.

.....Rather than go hunting for it just simply type 'mypin' and you will get something that looks like this pin:00XX00X0
Where do I type 'myver' or 'mypin'? If I type these on the home/standby screen, nothing happens!
Quote:
Fellows

I might be be picking up a Blackberry this evening. It would be the Curve 8520 or the 9300 3G. I heard there is not a substantial price difference between the two. Is the 9300 worth it or should I stick to the 8520.

The price differential is around 7k. I feel that IS substantial!

Any brand of bluetooth headset should work because its a universal technology and not proprietary to BB.

Quote:
The 8520 and the 9300 are exactly the same but I love the 9300's build quality. Its fantastic! And os 6 is there.
Well not exactly. 9300 has GPS and 3G, apart from OS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
Does that mean OS 6 is not too far away from 8520?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 3rd November 2010 at 15:44.
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:43   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Where do I type 'myver' or 'mypin'? If I type these on the home/standby screen, nothing happens!

The price differential is around 7k. I feel that IS substantial!

Any brand of bluetooth headset should work because its a universal technology and not proprietary to BB.

Well not exactly. 9300 has GPS and 3G, apart from OS6

Oh its 7k is it . I was not aware really. I guess 8520 should do then
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:45   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh its 7k is it . I was not aware really. I guess 8520 should do then
BlackBerry Curve 3G 9300 Price in India | Flipkart Mobiles

BlackBerry Curve 8520 Price in India: Black Color | Flipkart Mobiles
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:19   #2818
BHPian

@dippy I have the 8520 and if you aren't particular about data rates and gps I'd stick to the 8520. And get an update to firmware 5.0. If however you are particular about 3g get the 9300. The bangalore price for 8520 is about 11700 and the 9300 is about 18k.

@nishant in any text box or compose screen you can type those. Example type it right here in this reply box for example. And os6 as I noted the other day without touch is just about the same as 5 nothing great. however. The 9300 supports flac and that to me is a necessity! I'm a city kid no 3g or gps needed. I have wifi around me 24x7.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:56   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@dippy I have the 8520 and if you aren't particular about data rates and gps I'd stick to the 8520. And get an update to firmware 5.0. If however you are particular about 3g get the 9300. The bangalore price for 8520 is about 11700 and the 9300 is about 18k.

@nishant in any text box or compose screen you can type those. Example type it right here in this reply box for example. And os6 as I noted the other day without touch is just about the same as 5 nothing great. however. The 9300 supports flac and that to me is a necessity! I'm a city kid no 3g or gps needed. I have wifi around me 24x7.
@val: I think I'll stick to the 8520. Really see it as a no nonsense Blackberry handset. The 8520 is coming to me for 11,600 here in Mumbai. Do I have to download the firmware 5.0 or will me dealer do it for me. 3 G really doesnt matter to me. Its only mail and BBM since most of my friends are on it.

I guess I'll post more queries once I have the phone with me
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:03   #2820
Senior - BHPian

@ Dippy - make sure it is not locked to any particular carrier. My wife had to unlock it (locked to Airtel) because she uses Vodafone. You can DIY or ask the dealer to do it for you. Well this is only if it is locked...

I am sure you will love the BB 8520 and the lovely piece of track-pad (i guess same as in E72)

Nice phone. Enjoy.

Most Viewed