Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2010, 02:46   #2851
BHPian

Your observations are correct Techno

Yes, you can chat on BBM with anyone in the world. All charges are included in your monthly subscription.
Logically, one of the main reasons why RIM is where it is today! Else people would be happy with having gtalk on their phones, no?

Perhaps what ghpk meant was that merely having the phone does not give you access to BBM & Email, you have to subscribe to BIS & get it activated.

EDIT: Just realised what ghpk is trying to say. He has mostly mixed up PIN & PING. Realised this after i read this more carefully:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Just to add, PIN to PIN msgs are free within country here, no matter if your friend is on a CDMA or a GSM Device.

I don't pass my PIN to lots of friends, I'll hate getting pins for each stupid question which doesn't needs much attention.

PIN in corporates and business houses where you have enterprise server is used specifically for important and classified information sharing only.
He is talking about PING (i.e. PINGING the other person. This does not require you to add the person on BBM, the message goes directly from the sender's device to the receivers device)

Let me explain:
PIN - The unique identification number given to each phone

PING - The method of sending a message directly from a device to the other. You may call it a way of BBMing without BBM & without adding the person to your BBM contact list. However, even to PING a person, you require their PIN. Once again, like BBM, this "PING" facility is only for BB handsets.

Now that thats cleared. Still, the answer is that it is free regardless of geographic distance, just like BBM & enterprise server is not a requirement. Every person has it (provided he has BIS services activated on his BB, & i mean any plan).

Last edited by Xehaust : 6th November 2010 at 02:51.
Old 6th November 2010, 04:37   #2852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Thats not true, You can BBM with anyone on BB anywhere in the world for free, atleast thats what I have observed.
Yes, thanks for correcting me, actually I am on reliance CDMA elite blackberry plan, which never allowed me to install BBM since last OS reload.

Just managed to get BBM thru PC via BB APP installer and found while PIN was not getting delivered over-seas, BBM works fine all across globe.

Xehaust yes i was bit confused without using BBM but now it works like a charm.

Also found a useful free SMS application at blackberry app world which is crunchSMS, its gives new looks to your SMS inbox and the conversation thread is more attractive and easy to use with it.
Old 6th November 2010, 11:06   #2853
BHPian

Actually you wouldn't be wrong if you said you were getting charged for BBM also because it is possible to sms a BBM contact too. And in that case it will show up in your BBM list and will get charged at international sms rates. Here in india that's INR 5.
Old 6th November 2010, 12:30   #2854
Team-BHP Support

The older emails from my hotmail inbox have stopped popping in without doing anything, weird.
Are the Msn, Gmail & Yim services free of cost? I do not feel the need to really make use of either, but was just curious.

manson.
Old 6th November 2010, 15:04   #2855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
The older emails from my hotmail inbox have stopped popping in without doing anything, weird.
Are the Msn, Gmail & Yim services free of cost? I do not feel the need to really make use of either, but was just curious.

manson.
There may not be any more old emails :-) so it stopped pulling

if you are on a blackberry data plan the data transfer done thru mails would be free.
check with the operator as many cheaper plans have very very expensive data transfer cost. don't get trapped in any per MB or KB chargeable plan, they are plain rip-off.

you can always add/remove any unwanted email ID, device would pull mails only from account you configure.
If you have setup e-mail
Old 6th November 2010, 15:10   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post

manson.
Yes, Msn messenger, Gtalk & Yahoo IM are free along with BBM, regardless of your plan.
Old 9th November 2010, 08:15   #2857
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a blackberry torch with me and I would like to have some apps downloaded for it.
I saw this great app in my friends i phone. Its called cellphone finder or something , you type in any cell phone number and it immediately shows where that person is at the moment.
So do we have something like that for blackberry ?
Old 9th November 2010, 08:58   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Hi Everyone, I have decided to get blackberry service to get access to my work emails and access to web on the go. What I am undecided is the blackberry device and data plan. My main use is for emails on the move. I will be getting a new connection just for this purpose. My questions:

1) Which device should I opt, considering 80% use will be for reading and replying to emails? Due to this, a bigger real estate screen would be nice. Budget is no bar. The idea is to get emails and respond to it, without trying too hard. Another frequent use will be for browsing. Heard not much favorable review on the BB's browser. Is it any better now?

2) Considering that my primary use is for emails (5 accounts), with around 200-250 emails received a day, which data plan would suit my need (Airtel or Vodafone)?

3) Another question on email accounts - If I configured BB to use POP3/IMAP, would I still be able to access the emails on the mail server from my notebook/PC?

4) Lastly, for internet access, can I connect my notebook to BB?

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Cheers
Old 9th November 2010, 09:30   #2859
BHPian

Does anybody use trillion for connecting to yahoo, aim, msn, gtalk etc. messangers from one program ? Any program which does better than trillion ?

Thanks!
Shyam
Old 9th November 2010, 10:52   #2860
BHPian

OS6 on 9700

Did anyone install the leaked BB OS6 on the 9700. I have, and it has transformed my 9700 from an ugly duckling to a splendid swan. Not quite iPhone/Android types, but still, made me fall in love with my BB once again.

The interface is fantastic and the effects are sweet. But be careful, it is a leaked version after all and carries its own risks. Loving my 9700 more now.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:05   #2861
BHPian

@shyamhegde I've tried every possible messenger and finally gone back to BB native messengers! I've never really liked it!

@iTnerd airtel is supposed to have wider network range around india so if you travel out of town it makes sense. The best plan right now is the 899 plan or 599 plan if available in your city. If you don't mind prepaid you can consider the 399 plan so well advertised by blackberry. This is if you are a private consumer *NOT* attached to a company with its own BB backbone (read:blackberry enterprise server).

Next your BB will only be receiving a copy of the email. It will still be available on your computer/laptop. In the higher plans it is possible to use your BB as a modem. Just download the BBDM(Blackberry Desktop Manager) and connect your phone after plan activation.

And finally right now the best available so far is *still* by most standards the bold 2 9700. If you like the idea of touchscreens try the torch. But for a new user I normally suggest the more basic curve either the 8520/9300.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:55   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post

In the higher plans it is possible to use your BB as a modem. Just download the BBDM(Blackberry Desktop Manager) and connect your phone after plan activation.

I have a bold 9700, and am on the prosumer plan (airtel yearly 7999)
how do i use my phone as a modem for my laptop?
Old 9th November 2010, 13:30   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@iTnerd airtel is supposed to have wider network range around india so if you travel out of town it makes sense.
Not so. Try it out in Mah. circle, and you will know what I'm talking about. Worst choice in all ways. As far as network quality is concerned, I know it works well in some circles like Delhi, etc., but if you think you are going to get the same all over India, you will be very disappointed.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:47   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post

My main use is for emails on the move.

1) Which device should I opt, considering 80% use will be for reading and replying to emails? Due to this, a bigger real estate screen would be nice. Budget is no bar. The idea is to get emails and respond to it, without trying too hard. Another frequent use will be for browsing. Heard not much favorable review on the BB's browser. Is it any better now?
All the above info you have given point to the Torch (9800)
Big screen, touch screen & qwerty (take your pic to type out mails) & for browsing, the new webkit browser on it is great with tabbed browsing inbuilt.
If a smaller screen (& no touch screen) is fine, then like valhallen has said, the Bold 2 (9700) is perfect as it also has support for BB OS 6 which will be available for it soon. Making it the same in software as the torch including the multi-tabbed webkit browser.

2) Considering that my primary use is for emails (5 accounts), with around 200-250 emails received a day, which data plan would suit my need (Airtel or Vodafone)?
For service i always recommend Vodafone. Excellent service & fix any & all problems in minutes. They have a seperate service number dedicated purely for blackberry users.
As for the data plan, you have contradicted yourslef here. If you majorly want emails, go for the lowest plan (BB Lite - Rs.299 per month generally) which gives you unlimited access to your mails & all messengers (gtalk,msn,bbm,yahoo).

If you also want browsing, go for the new plan they have launched which requires you to pay in advance but is sheer value (pay 5000 for the whole year & you get full access which means that apart from the above lite plan, you can browse as well & comes out to a monthly average of about Rs. 420 per month)
Note - With any plan, you have a 3MB cap on attachments & files/download. Anything below 3MB can be downloaded & viewed.

3) Another question on email accounts - If I configured BB to use POP3/IMAP, would I still be able to access the emails on the mail server from my notebook/PC?
Yes you can.

4) Lastly, for internet access, can I connect my notebook to BB?
Yes you can. As already explained by valhallen.
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. Cheers
Have replied above in bold.

Last edited by Xehaust : 9th November 2010 at 13:49.
Old 9th November 2010, 14:08   #2865
BHPian

@slicvic first please check with your service provider if you can use the facility. Otherwise get the latest BBDM (desktop manager) and hit connect on main screen.

@racoon: it is largely network dependent. So here and in lots of places I have heard airtel is by far the best.

Most Viewed