Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2011, 19:10   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
New phone means a habit of playing with its settings. Had heart in mouth situation yesterday, enabled encryption, restarted the phone, refused to start,.I was phone took sometime and became fine. phew!

Wondering what is the use of Firewall, enabled it last night. Was wondering why didn't I received even one single email today. Check firewall option, the firewall blocked all my emails, all 25 of them and I thought it would be like PC's firewall, had to eventually disable firewall. Either I am complete noob or RIM definition of firewall is to block every mail/sms.
BB Firewall is an option used by Corporates to control the Employees from misusing the device and keep a track by syncing all the BBs to a centralized server. Most 'third-party' applications do not function this way, and one cannot configure 'personal emails' either.
As for BIS users, if you enable it, most third-party applications may not function properly, as it shall be blocked by the firewall. And the only way to get rid of this is re-installing or upgrading your firmware.
Hope this helps.
Old 19th January 2011, 20:28   #3092
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I ordered a new OEM battery for my 9700 yesterday as my battery life has been fading since it has been over a year. This sunday will visit colorMii and get some color on it. Those mods should resist my itch for an upgrade at the moment.
Do also check what firmware you are on. Some firmwares have really good battery life. 5.0.0.979 which im on has excellent battery life. For colormii if you have a combination in mind then order it a day in advance.
Old 20th January 2011, 09:01   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
how long does the battery last in heavy usage(GPS navigation, emails, IM's, clicking pics etc)
GPS navigation will really drain the battery out, the rest won't drastically reduce your battery strength
Old 20th January 2011, 10:46   #3094
BHPian

For all of those here bothered with their battery life try the following few steps.

1) Reduce backlight! This is one of the first monkeys to steal battery! Mine never goes over 10 or 20 % without ever reducing readability.

2) Get an original BB holster/pouch. They have a magnetic strip that activates the BB's power save mode so to speak. Which is why under all your sounds menus you get 'in holster' & 'out of holster'. They don't cost more than 500 bucks and look very nifty and BlackBerryBoy indeed.

3) Under your profile reduce the number of vibrations for every I'm to one. Believe me you will get used to it and it will save you serious battery.

4) Reduce the check interval on apps like twitter and facebook. They are real hungry for updates.

5) Try to use the native messenger apps. While we all like the idea of more variety the native messengers are much better in their push capabilities. Also it means one less app. If you absolutely MUST use some other apps delete the native messengers except BBM (Doh!)

6) Disable the check for update under settings on whatever applications you use! The new BlackBerry App world pushes to you an update in the form of a notification.

7) Preferably update apps via wifi. Its way faster and does not make you wait frustratingly long for the app to get pushed via EDGE/3G/EVDO. (Also it won't clog up the data lines in case you are getting an email or IM.

8)Delete delete delete. Become a clean freak here. Delete apps you don't want. They unnecessarily consume space, increase boot time, cause slowdowns, clog the data lines and in most cases end up being rarely used.

9) Use the clock and bedside mode. Whenever you sleep plug into charger. This will bring up the clock (unless you disabled it). The clock has a lovely function called bedside mode where you can either turn off your notifications by selecting the profile OR turn off the radio that is your network. Saves and charges battery same time see.

10) Learn to use auto-turn off. Its under options. This turns on or off your handheld at specific times. Will make you and the Mr/Missus happy. Trust me.

11) Clean clean clean. Not the phone the memory card. If you are a media junkie like I am take the time to not only format the memory card but to also check for errors and defragment. It makes a world of a difference.

12) Try to use the headset or a bluetooth one. Keeps away harmful radiation and saves you battery because the backlight turns off faster.

13) Keep a lid on your network connections. That means make sure you turn off wifi/3G/gps when you don't need it.
Old 20th January 2011, 10:55   #3095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Do also check what firmware you are on. Some firmwares have really good battery life. 5.0.0.979 which im on has excellent battery life.
^ +1 Excellent tips @valhallen

My battery on 9700 using OS 6.0.0.418, in moderate (phone, emails, browsing, FB, Twitter) to slightly heavy (all the above + gps navigation) lasts roughly around than 2-3 days. My phone is more than a year old.

Last edited by Neilguy : 20th January 2011 at 10:57.
Old 20th January 2011, 19:01   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
BB Firewall is an option used by Corporates to control the Employees from misusing the device and keep a track by syncing all the BBs to a centralized server. Most 'third-party' applications do not function this way, and one cannot configure 'personal emails' either.
As for BIS users, if you enable it, most third-party applications may not function properly, as it shall be blocked by the firewall. And the only way to get rid of this is re-installing or upgrading your firmware.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the information. It was indeed the noob me who couldnt understand functioning of Blackberry. Of course enabled firewall for sms's, got rid of pesky BSNL sms's

This is one of the reasons my phone's battery drained out pretty fast yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
GPS navigation will really drain the battery out, the rest won't drastically reduce your battery strength
One of the reasons for reduced battery was my mistake(discussed earlier). But yes I do agree that GPS alone takes up a huge chunk of battery ~40% in my case. I must say BB GPS reception is very very strong, even after keeping on co-drivers seat, it locked up 8 satellites. Nokia is bad, very bad.
Old 21st January 2011, 01:28   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those that were waiting for the bold3 in white, it is out. I got it for my sister today for 25750 with bill& warranty.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:44   #3098
Senior - BHPian

NextGen BlackBerry Curve “Sedona” Live Pictures Leaked!

NextGen BlackBerry Curve "Sedona" Live Pictures Leaked! - BerryReview

Here is what has been confirmed in this leak

The new Curve model is thin and half the thickness of the 9700 but otherwise feels like a 9700
  • 512MB of RAM
  • OS 6.1 shipped though it is supposedly currently very buggy
  • New notification system like Android that flashes on the top of the screen
  • Higher screen resolution (HVGA 480×360 according to previous leak)

Here are the specs from the previous leak:
  • Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
  • Tri-band UMTS/HSPA 7.2Mbps
  • Bluetooth 2.1
  • Wi-Fi b/g/n
  • GPS
  • NFC
  • 512MB of eMMC, 512MB of RAM
  • 5-megapixel camera with flash
  • HVGA 480 x 360 display
  • 1050 mAh battery
  • Tavor MG-1 800MHz CPU
  • BlackBerry OS 6.1
  • 11mm thin
Old 26th January 2011, 17:58   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I've just bought the Curve 9300 and have a few questions.

1. How can I transfer contacts from my SE W995 to the BB?

2. How can I upgrade the OS to 6 and should I do it before transferring data from the SE so that I don't lose everything after the OS upgrade?

3. Which version of the desktop software should I download?
Old 27th January 2011, 08:55   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

2. How can I upgrade the OS to 6 and should I do it before transferring data from the SE so that I don't lose everything after the OS upgrade?

Try Funambol to sync your contacts. Check this link for some more help on that: Keep your contacts in sync on different mobile phones using Funambol
Old 27th January 2011, 08:59   #3101
Senior - BHPian

The Tour supports CDMA and GSM networks both ?
Old 27th January 2011, 09:45   #3102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

1. Is there an option to transfer the contacts into Outlook? e.g. Nokia PC Suite does this through a sync procedure.

Then from Outlook, you can easily import all your contacts into BB.

2. Do the upgrade to OS 6 as soon as you unbox the phone i.e. before transferring any previous data or installing any fresh apps. Google around for the upgrade procedure. Its also in this thread and is a fairly simple procedure.

EDIT - Unofficial OS 6 (.448) upgrade link and procedure here (http://www.berryreview.com/2011/01/2...w+(BerryReview))

Official OS 6 (.380) here (http://www.berryreview.com/2010/12/2...ed-by-starhub/)

3. The latest version of Desktop Manager (6.xx) is damn neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The Tour supports CDMA and GSM networks both ?
I thought you were giving up on the BB?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 27th January 2011 at 10:22.
Old 27th January 2011, 10:37   #3103
BHPian

Re: Which Blackberry?

Hi Folks,

I wish to buy a Blackberry smartphone, but don't know which one. Could you please suggest a model basis the below specs? Thanks a lot...
  • Budget - within 18-22k
  • 3G ready
  • GPS (I don't know if A-GPS is better or worse, consider whichever is better)
  • I don't insist on touchscreen, but if it has to be touchscreen, it would be nice to have the "virtual keypad"
  • 4 GB memory
  • Decent Camera and video recorder
  • Bluetooth
  • Primary usage will be to have Internet access - social networking, emails, cricinfo and of course TBHP . And I need the camera and video recorder to capture my 3-yr old daughter's antics.
Thanks again for your suggestions,

Cheers,
R_S
Old 27th January 2011, 12:16   #3104
BHPian

@straight6

try this ehow: How to Transfer Address Book to Blackberry Phone | eHow.com

and you will need this alongside: ABC Amber vCard Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

@neilguy yes it does but you can only use one kind of network at any point.
Old 27th January 2011, 14:14   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Need help here!!!

I have a BB 8830 world edition (dual sim) which I was using when I was in the US. the service provider was verizon wireless.

I had paid retail for this phone at that time (3 years now) and currently have not used the phone in India (over a year and half now).

The problem is that when i took out the phone from storage (BB Box) i had packed the battery seperately and now this is swollen.
I do know for a fact that the battery needs to be thrown away. I an unable to source any other battery for this phone now. The battery number is C-X2.

aould appreciate it if anyone can give me details as to where I can source this batter in Bangalore / Delhi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks