Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:44   #3466
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

Calls, sms, wifi, etc all working fine. Something from service provider end. Vodafone is messing it up since today morning we created a big mess for over charging for mobile connect even when web surfing is not possible on BB 299 plan.

I bought this phone from BB shop in my city.

Harshal, have you noticed if the problem is area related? As in, does it happen only in the house? If so, try taking the phone to another area (of the city) and then test it. There might be an issue in that particular tower.

Also, if you have another sim card (different service provider), try checking it on that sim card. If the phone works fine, then the issue is with network and not the handset.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:48   #3467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Harshal, have you noticed if the problem is area related? As in, does it happen only in the house? If so, try taking the phone to another area (of the city) and then test it. There might be an issue in that particular tower.

Also, if you have another sim card (different service provider), try checking it on that sim card. If the phone works fine, then the issue is with network and not the handset.
I also use a BB and on Vodafone and my fone works fine and my wife's network is playing up. vodafone is unable to determine the problem and hence messing around. They are still not able to clarify on the extra charges and just playing a Blame game. I have sent them a mail threatening to take this matter higher up and since we are a CUG of 400+ users they are now taking the matter seriously.

My wife is currently in mumbai and she has been asked to visit a nearest VF store and they have assured to resolve the issue.

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 23rd June 2011 at 13:49.
Old 24th June 2011, 00:13   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Hello BB users, I would love to join you guys with a BB sans camera ( my office doesn't allow camera mobiles and apart from bare bones mobiles, only BB offers phones without camera) Please share your views and experiences with BB models without camera. And is buying through naaptol recommended? Can they be trusted? They seem to quote the lowest prices
Old 24th June 2011, 09:34   #3469
BANNED

aravind; excellent phones, low breakdown rate. Good apps availability. The Interface is very different (but logical) from the rest. It will not matter in your case but avoid pucca touch phones from BB. The user interface is not as good as the others. You should not have any problem from wherever you buy (GSM I presume). Any unlocked phone should be as good as a factory unit.

The only fly in the ointment is that BB is losing market share, and share price has dropped 80% in one year, so is obviously unable to stand up to Google (Android) and Apple (iOS). What is most alarming is that Microsoft is being mentioned as a suitor.
Old 24th June 2011, 10:51   #3470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
aravind; excellent phones, low breakdown rate. Good apps availability. The Interface is very different (but logical) from the rest. It will not matter in your case but avoid pucca touch phones from BB. The user interface is not as good as the others. You should not have any problem from wherever you buy (GSM I presume). Any unlocked phone should be as good as a factory unit.

The only fly in the ointment is that BB is losing market share, and share price has dropped 80% in one year, so is obviously unable to stand up to Google (Android) and Apple (iOS). What is most alarming is that Microsoft is being mentioned as a suitor.
Thanks a lot Sir, You have made all my querries about BB vanish But are there any new phones from BB without camera? If not, are the 2007 model phones without camera OK for purchase now? I don't want to be trapped with an outdated phone
Old 24th June 2011, 12:25   #3471
BANNED

You can check on the Blackberry India site. Also, on popular sites like eBay, Flipkart, letsbuy etc. If it is tywo years old it may be on OS 5. No issues here. I had an 8330 (CDMA) which was OS 4.1. Worked very well. Only point was that the GPS was only AGPS, i.e. triangulation from towers. Not so good.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:36   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have been on the BB899 plan on Airtel for almost 3 years now and for close to 1.5 years have been using my BB as modem to browse on the laptop. I used to initially use BB8310 and about 3 months back upgraded to BB8520.

I just upgraded my Desktop Software to Version 6.1.0.35 and while trying to start mobile internet, I get a notification that Mobile Internet Failed to activate.

Airtel BB Support says I should move back Desktop Version 6.0.XXX

What do you guys think?
Old 24th June 2011, 16:10   #3473
BHPian

Indeed blackberry phones are good, good hardware and software, very reliable. But what I don't like about them is charging exorbitant service charges, for complete email and browsing experience you have to pay Rs 899!! Common which world are they in? We get unlimited broadband service at home in that price! The only reason blackberry is still surviving is because of enterprise usage. Once they move on, they will be no were!! That day is just round the corner! Today you give Rs 99 and you get 2 gb of data usage I guess that is more than sufficient for mobile computing. That's why Android phones are catching up so fast. You may say they have the finest email encryption in force which no one has, but wait, apple has got it, more enterprise is US are already opting for iPhone's soon Indian IT will follow the same. In this cost cutting age the strategy which blackberry has been holding over a decade is soon gonna end if they don't pull their socks up!
Old 24th June 2011, 18:48   #3474
BHPian

@MadTiger - I dont think you are very familiar with BBs, are you?
First of all, the ease of use for setting up & receiving email & further, the convenience of BBM are both un-parallel to this day.
Secondly, your facts are wrong. The basic charges are Rs.299 for 10 emails & unlimited emails on all of them (with attachments) along with BBM and any other messenger service (gtalk, yahoo, msn). These are the prices for post-paid and i havnt checked them recently, they have been so for much over a year now. As for complete freedom with browsing, there are plans which cost no more than Rs.420.

Last edited by Xehaust : 24th June 2011 at 18:49.
Old 24th June 2011, 19:33   #3475
Team-BHP Support

Any comments on this?

RIM, You
Old 24th June 2011, 20:34   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Guys im new to BB. Just purchased a Bold 3 ver6 fom Malaysia after i lost my Samsung Android.
Im on a prepaid 399 plan from Airtel.
Problem 1 >
I have syncronised my email> problem is i dont see the emails the way i see it on the Android. Also, there is no sent mail folder visible, and all earlier mails sent prior to the syncing my account do not show> I have to access my email via my web browser on the fone to access the entire email account as used on the comp.
Please advise how to solve this problem.

2nd problem > the contacts list shows all addresses from my email accounts too. I just want to see the phone numbers and not the email addresses in my contact list. If i delete the email address from the phonebook contact list then the address is deleted even from my email account> this is absurd and undesirable. Please help.
Old 24th June 2011, 23:37   #3477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
@MadTiger - I dont think you are very familiar with BBs, are you?
First of all, the ease of use for setting up & receiving email & further, the convenience of BBM are both un-parallel to this day.
Secondly, your facts are wrong. The basic charges are Rs.299 for 10 emails & unlimited emails on all of them (with attachments) along with BBM and any other messenger service (gtalk, yahoo, msn). These are the prices for post-paid and i havnt checked them recently, they have been so for much over a year now. As for complete freedom with browsing, there are plans which cost no more than Rs.420.
Hello Xehaust,

Just to let you know I have personally used a Blackberry for over a year.
The only reason I switched to iPhone was because of the horrendous usage charges -

The least plan offered by operators is Rs 299 offers unlimited email upto 10 accounts and Includes messenger service as well. The attachment are restricted to 3 Mb only. When you receive an email on blackberry that has pictures those does not get downloaded and has a rich text format (Particular this plan). Whats more? "No browsing no Social networking" are you kidding me is that you give for Rs 299 bucks ?

For browsing and social networking you have to pay Rs 399 (revised from 899 earlier) this is BIS (Blackberry Internet service) For BES (Blackberry Enterprise service) its still Rs 899 easier to loot organization's I believe.

Personally for my whims and fancy I would never spend so much for a service that can be availed for just Rs 99, and I can do more than what a Blackberry does. They are trying to lure new generation with BBM ? (Blackberry Messenger) ha ha you need to have other Blackberry user to be able to chat, you call this as a feature I don't think so!

Blackberry has already lost it, if it does not free its service they are gone! With IOS 5 Apple has released free messenger service which is way much secure than Blackberry email service.

The versatility vs availability of apps for Android and iPhones puts Blackberry to shame. I have no personal grudge on you just wanted to clear the confusion, if at all there was any Also if you read up I have mentioned lot of advantages that Blackberry offers but those are now history when compared to Android and iPhone.

Cheers!
Old 25th June 2011, 00:22   #3478
BHPian

Guys I'm having a strange problem since today morning.
My 8520 Curve keeps rebooting on its own. This is quite irritating because it rebooted 5 times today and twice while I was getting an incoming call.
Please tell me what should I do. Thanks.
Old 25th June 2011, 00:47   #3479
BHPian

^^^ Uh Oh, backup your data immediately. And then id say, install the newest OS 5 (.10xx) Your problem shall be solved.

@MadTiger - quite i detailed reply And here i was feeling to lazy to type. In any case, what you have said is true, they will require a change sooner than later. Already rumours of them having to allow a platform free bbm are floating around. Further, financial reports show that BBs are losing marketshare already.
Lets wait and watch. All i can say is, competition is always good for us consumers. But until iOS 5 is launched & RIM does something about it, im happy with BB for now.

@Samurai - A very interesting article. And i must say, what the writer says does make sense. But it cannot be said for sure. Like i said earlier. Its a wait & watch game

Last edited by Xehaust : 25th June 2011 at 00:55.
Old 25th June 2011, 01:08   #3480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
^^^ Uh Oh, backup your data immediately. And then id say, install the newest OS 5 (.10xx) Your problem shall be solved.
I already have the latest OS installed. I checked on BB Desktop manager and it didn't find any new updates. So what should I do now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks