Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2011, 18:41   #3571
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
I've been on Vodafone Prepaid's Full Service Blackberry Plan since October 2010 in Delhi Circle and lately I've noticed that Browsing is far too slow on EDGE. The situation is the same when checked in different areas of the city. I also checked how well my VF Postpaid fared on Nokia E71 and it yielded the same disappointing results.

Further, BBM's and Whatsapp messages take a lot of time.

Even i have been facing such issues on my postpaid VF Blackberry services. Internet browser dies out everytime a request is sent. And i receive BBM messages atleast a minute or 2 late while i'm in Delhi.

However, i have tried the same in other circles and have found the data speeds to be satisfactory.
Abhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2011, 23:19   #3572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhas View Post
Even i have been facing such issues on my postpaid VF Blackberry services. Internet browser dies out everytime a request is sent. And i receive BBM messages atleast a minute or 2 late while i'm in Delhi.

However, i have tried the same in other circles and have found the data speeds to be satisfactory.
Abhas, I've activated 3G on my VF Plan, no extra charges for using 3G. You just pay for Blackberry Plan, whether on EDGE or 3G. After going 3G, the problem is no longer there.
tsk13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 15:11   #3573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Abhas, I've activated 3G on my VF Plan, no extra charges for using 3G. You just pay for Blackberry Plan, whether on EDGE or 3G. After going 3G, the problem is no longer there.
I just called the VF Customer care here in Guj. and they informed me that even though i am on a yearly advanced rental plan for full services of BIS, I have to pay additional 299 / month to be able to use 3G services and they also mentioned about some 1GB free data allowance.

What i didnt understand is, if i am already subscribed to an annual unlimited useage plan, what do i need that 1GB / month for?
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:15   #3574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Thanks Steve
I logged a case with Airtel and they have given me an SLA of 3 days. Lets see when I get my unlock code !!
3 Phone calls and 6 days later I have the code and the unlock instructions. I am now Airtel free. Thanks for all your help/.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:14   #3575
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok, this might turn out to be a peculiar query.

I purchased a BB Curve 8520 last week, and over the weekend, I could browse the internet by wifi. Come this Monday, I activated the blackberry services and opted for the lite plan (I have wifi at home & free net at office - didn't feel the need for the unlimited plan)

Since then my BB detects the wifi & even connects to it - but no internet access. In the "Manage Connections" menu, after I have connected to my wifi, I can see the name there, but instead of a green tick mark, I see a white dash.

Tried hard rebooting the BB, deleted & re-connected with the wifi router, even reconfigured my wifi router, no use. The internet is working fine on other phones/laptops.

Spoke with Idea Blackberry services for a long duration, they kept sticking to the point that it's a manufacturing defect & I have to get in touch with BB service center. Could not answer my basic query - how was the wifi working before I activated the data plan!

Did a bit of googling - found the below link
No BIS over WIFI
As per the discussion over there, service providers can stop BIS service by blocking the port(s).

Has anybody faced this before? If so, any solutions?
Also does anyone with the 299Rs plan been able to browse using their wifi?

Inputs awaited.

P.s. A colleague of mine had faced exactly the same problem, she got it rectified by Vodafone customer service. Point to note, she had the 599 plan.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:12   #3576
BHPian

As far as I know, you have to have a BIS plan to browse over WiFi too. If you have a Mail and Messenger only plan, you can use WiFi to use only Mail and Messenger. This is because the new service books that are pushed to your device after subscribing to the Mail and Messenger plan will not include that of the browser and other apps which require internet access. Go for the full BIS plan which costs only 399 in prepaid. If you are particular about postpaid, Docomo offers full BIS service for 399.
Old 5th August 2011, 11:59   #3577
BHPian

ninjatalli,you can access internet even if you have opted for just the 299 plan over wifi,for this you will have to follow the steps below,
1) open the browser
2) go to options
3) select the default browser as hotspot browser instead of blackberry & internet explorer
4)there is another setting in options where you will have to select the hot browser,
& you are ready to go,do post your feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Ok, this might turn out to be a peculiar query.

I purchased a BB Curve 8520 last week, and over the weekend, I could browse the internet by wifi. Come this Monday, I activated the blackberry services and opted for the lite plan (I have wifi at home & free net at office - didn't feel the need for the unlimited plan)

Since then my BB detects the wifi & even connects to it - but no internet access. In the "Manage Connections" menu, after I have connected to my wifi, I can see the name there, but instead of a green tick mark, I see a white dash.

Tried hard rebooting the BB, deleted & re-connected with the wifi router, even reconfigured my wifi router, no use. The internet is working fine on other phones/laptops.

Spoke with Idea Blackberry services for a long duration, they kept sticking to the point that it's a manufacturing defect & I have to get in touch with BB service center. Could not answer my basic query - how was the wifi working before I activated the data plan!

Did a bit of googling - found the below link
No BIS over WIFI
As per the discussion over there, service providers can stop BIS service by blocking the port(s).

Has anybody faced this before? If so, any solutions?
Also does anyone with the 299Rs plan been able to browse using their wifi?

Inputs awaited.

P.s. A colleague of mine had faced exactly the same problem, she got it rectified by Vodafone customer service. Point to note, she had the 599 plan.
Old 5th August 2011, 12:11   #3578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
As far as I know, you have to have a BIS plan to browse over WiFi too. If you have a Mail and Messenger only plan, you can use WiFi to use only Mail and Messenger. This is because the new service books that are pushed to your device after subscribing to the Mail and Messenger plan will not include that of the browser and other apps which require internet access. Go for the full BIS plan which costs only 399 in prepaid. If you are particular about postpaid, Docomo offers full BIS service for 399.
Deepak,
Although that seems to be the case, but that is a highly illogical thing. When I use Wifi, I'm using the data services of the wifi ISP. I'm paying for that. The phone is just a means of interface. Idea (in my case) has no right to disable browsing through wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
ninjatalli,you can access internet even if you have opted for just the 299 plan over wifi,for this you will have to follow the steps below,
1) open the browser
2) go to options
3) select the default browser as hotspot browser instead of blackberry & internet explorer
4)there is another setting in options where you will have to select the hot browser,
& you are ready to go,do post your feedback
Nandish,
I did check that earlier - both in the phone settings (Settings -> Browser) as well as the options in the browser, it is selected to Hotspot browser only.
In fact, before activating bb services, I also had an "IdeaFresh" option, but now I have only the Hotspot browser option available.

But currently I'm not even able to get into the browser; I keep getting the error "Your device does not have any Browser Configuration Service Book Entries". Planning to give Idea CC a call for this.

Edit (post call to Idea CC): They would be re-sending the service books to my phone. Will have to do a hardboot.
Btw, @nandishpal, they offered me the same advice as you did Hope to see some success! Will update when I re-try the wifi at home.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th August 2011 at 12:22.
Old 10th August 2011, 13:07   #3579
BHPian

9900 launched

Friends of Blackberry,
the most hyped phone from Blackberry 9900 is launched in bangalore today,
its a very well made phone from blackberry
Old 10th August 2011, 14:09   #3580
BHPian

Re: 9900 launched

I have a query. When dialing a con-call, the IVR asks to enter the meeting passcode followed by # sign. Pressing the # sign directly or Alt+#sign does not help. Any advice?

Quote:
Friends of Blackberry,
the most hyped phone from Blackberry 9900 is launched in bangalore today,
its a very well made phone from blackberry
Nice, so how does OS 7 feels like?

Can u post the price and availability of the following models as well:

Bold 9900/9930
Torch 9810 (slider touch screen)
Torch 9860/9850 (Full touch screen)

Last edited by quadra : 10th August 2011 at 14:12.
Old 10th August 2011, 14:34   #3581
BHPian

The 9900 seems like a great phone (First Impressions after a brief look at it)
Its solid to hold & slimmer & because of this, id say it gave the feel of the iphone 4 when held in your hand (though i find that quite uncomfortable & kind of weird to hold).

On a positive side, the OS is just awesomely quick. No lag when opening the built in applications. And the Touch & Keyboard interaction combined together feels so much better than just solely relying on the trackpad.

P.S. - The OS is actually 6.1 but BB is branding & marketing it as OS7
Old 10th August 2011, 14:40   #3582
BHPian

Re: 9900 launched

quadra the os 7 is absolutely fantastic to use,the liquid display is just too good,the qwerty keypad is perfectly designed,the attention to detailing is great,
the price for 9900 is 32000, 9930 & 9810 is not yet launched
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
I have a query. When dialing a con-call, the IVR asks to enter the meeting passcode followed by # sign. Pressing the # sign directly or Alt+#sign does not help. Any advice?

Nice, so how does OS 7 feels like?

Can u post the price and availability of the following models as well:

Bold 9900/9930
Torch 9810 (slider touch screen)
Torch 9860/9850 (Full touch screen)
Old 10th August 2011, 14:52   #3583
Senior - BHPian

I have the Torch ,but I am waiting for the Torch 2.Any idea of when would the Torch 2 be launched?
Old 10th August 2011, 16:09   #3584
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
do post your feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
As far as I know, you have to have a BIS plan to browse over WiFi too
Hey guys,
Finally got the Wifi issue resolved. Basically what worked out for me was I had to activate the 599 plans as the service books needed for BIS service were either not downloaded or corrupt when I registered for the 299 plan. Now if I shift back to the Lite plan, the wifi should work. Got this advice from both Idea & Vodafone customer care (got a friend on Vodafone to confirm the same).

Having said that, it's been over a week since I activated the 599 plan, and I'm already hooked . Man, this mobile's addictive! Can't make myself go back to the 299 plan! Although I find the monthly outflow of 600Rs a pain in the a$$, still the integrated message option where all my mail/sms/fb/twitter alerts get integrated - that simply rocks!

(OT : Any app for G+ messages? Haven't see anything of that sort)

But in today's world of android, I do hope the BB services price tags come down.

Another query from my end :-
I also added my yahoo mail id on the BB, later I deleted it. But now the Contacts displays up both the contact lists (of Yahoo & Gmail), resulting in a duplicate list. Also a lot of the ids in yahoo mail were old, and redundant.

How do I go about deleting the yahoo contact list? Any suggestion?
Old 11th August 2011, 14:07   #3585
BHPian

1 day of usage on the new 9900 bold & i should tell you it has been an experience,it seems to be a very promising phone,because of the higher processor the phone seems to be very fast,also the pouch given in the sales box is superb

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks