Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 12:41   #3586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Even though it was a great phone ,I never really liked the Torch .At 32K ,it was very expensive given the specs it had wrt to the competetion.I had gone to buy the Bold 9780 and ended up buying the Torch.

We all know that the QNX is the next big thing and the 9900 is just a stop gap adjustment till BB does QNX in 2012.Also the OS 7 is actually OS 6.XX.Thats the reason I had decided that I wouldnt spend another 30 K on a BB and would rather wait for the BB QNX.(I Phone is a no for me ,so the IPhone 5 was ruled out )

Yesterday,I was driving by this mobile store ,when I just thought about checking out the 9900.Within 2 mins i decided to buy it and traded my Torch for a loss.

But I dont regret it .The 9900 is similar to the original 9000 .Its much lighter than the Torch but marginally heavier than the 9780.
The ergonomics are awesome.The QWERTY key pad is easy to use and the phone is just a no nonsense superb phone.Browsing speed with the 1.2 Ghz processor is definitely better than the 0.6 Ghz Torch,but it wasnt something that was standing out.

The display ( dunno the technicalities) is also very good .The only difference was getting used to the smaller screen as compared to the Torch.

At home ,wifey says "you once again bought the Nokia E72!"

QNX may be the next big thing ,but this is definitely something I wouldnt trade in for atleast sometime with any other phone.

BTW ,this cost me 31.5 K
Old 20th August 2011, 09:48   #3587
Senior - BHPian

how is the battery backup on the 9900?
Old 20th August 2011, 11:39   #3588
BHPian

battery back up on 9900 is great with the 1280 mah battery,also i read on tha battery that it is made in japan & finished in indonesia
i always have this in my mind that battery made in japan are of highest quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
how is the battery backup on the 9900?
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:01   #3589
Senior - BHPian

hmm ok. because we are getting a few dead on arrivals with battery issues :(
Old 22nd August 2011, 10:20   #3590
Senior - BHPian

The battery on my 9900 seems to last lesser than the Torch with similar usage .
I now ensure that i charge the phone when driving .

Another issue I have with the phone is the volume control on the top right .Dunno if its the pouch or the phone .You cannot pull out the phone from the pouch without pressing these keys !!
So these days I dont carry the pouch.

My Nokia bluetooth headset also doesnt pair with the 9900.

Otherwise ,as awesome phone ...I just love it .

BTW ,my phone which is the amongst the first lot to land in Bangalore is made in Hungary while the battery is made in Japan

Last edited by speedsatya : 22nd August 2011 at 10:21.
Old 22nd August 2011, 21:28   #3591
Senior - BHPian

Can you give an approx time your battery on 9900 lasts along with the usage pattern?
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:33   #3592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Can you give an approx time your battery on 9900 lasts along with the usage pattern?
Battery life is defiantly lower than the 9700. About 25% lower.

I have had the phone for about 10 days now and love it for the most part but the battery life is a big let down. Does not last me an entire day. Also the phone crashes every second day and does a complete restart.

These are teething software issues, I am sure with future software updates the crashes will defiantly stop and battery life shall improve too. But highly doubt it will match up to the old bold's battery life.
Old 23rd August 2011, 17:13   #3593
Distinguished - BHPian

Any news when the all new curve 9360 will be launched in India?

What are the current prices of the 9300 and 9780? They should have come down drastically with the newer launches.

Last edited by Sahil : 23rd August 2011 at 17:16.
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:17   #3594
BHPian

i dont know why users are having problems with 9900,i have using it for 15 days now & its been a dream,phone doesnt hang what so ever with 100 call a day both incoming & outgoing,i have configured 6 email a/c's & use every app available on the phone,
let me tell you this,battery back up of every new phone is low for these reasons,
1) you spend a lot of time over the phone checking out the softwares,
2) you have a lot of updates to do
3) you want to check the phone every 5 mins for no reason
you will surely realise that the battery back up is good & lasts for a complate 12 hrs, (8 am to 8 pm)
4) please charge the battery for an hour before you leave to work,dont charge it in the night as you lose 12 hours of battery

@ Sahil-i would suggest you just clear all your logs by pressing the alt key with lglg,then turn off the phone take off the battery & re insert the battery,
i am sure you will find the phone working much better
nandishpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:39   #3595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Any news when the all new curve 9360 will be launched in India?

What are the current prices of the 9300 and 9780? They should have come down drastically with the newer launches.
The 9300 is available for 12000 without bill and 13000 with bill.
The 9780 is available for about 17750 without bill and 20500 with bill.
But the best deal is the Torch 9800 for 19950 without bill at Alfa.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:20   #3596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
@ Sahil-i would suggest you just clear all your logs by pressing the alt key with lglg,then turn off the phone take off the battery & re insert the battery,
i am sure you will find the phone working much better
alt lglg does not work on this phone or rather blackberry7 software. Thats one of the first things I tried.
Let me know which software version you are running?

I have reduced the screen resolution to 50% now. I have not loaded it up with too many apps yet because the software is not fully stable. Yet the battery is not close to the bold2 for sure.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:28   #3597
BHPian

My recent experience with BB 8520.

One fine morning, after I snoozed the alarm, the screen was blank. Didn't bother and slept again.
Then after some 20 mins, again tried to snooze and it woke me up on my toes this time.
Don't know from when it was in that state.
No keys are working. I switched it off and tried to re start. Nothing worked out.
Just went to office and all of a sudden it rang. As usual, Boss called for a query and my reply was 'may I know whom I am speaking with'. This annoyed him for a sec and was cooled down after my explanation.
As planned, went to Mobile stores, from where I bought this set with a another year extended warranty.
They simple gave me a service centres' visiting card. Came to know, it would be closed by 6.00pm.
With the same blank display, it became like an old incoming land line. Don't know who was calling. Know nothing about the SMS's info. Neither about the other alerts.
Mean while tried to imagine and started calling back the no. I last received.
Later tried to connect with my Lappy and even then, I tried many itterations for getting it connected.
In the evening, some how managed to reach the service centre by 5.30pm.
Was shocked to see my entry no. is 63. It means, there were alread 62 troubled customers as on date.
My first question with the lady was ' What is the average no.of complaint foot falls per day in this centre'. She simply said '70 to 80 per day on an average'.
So many problems with BB? Then I had a sigh of relief. I am not the only one troubled.
Also, could find the familirity of the problem in the face of her along with her colleague.
Didn't surrender my phone as I don't remember the last back up date. Hence decided to take it back and return it the next day after saving my data.
Was finally handed over on 19th.
It would be sent to Mumbai for repairs and will return in min 8 working days.

Now, the stand by is my old D88N from Spice. It was bought in 2008 and is still working, though the display cover is cracked.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:44   #3598
Senior - BHPian

I read that the BB Torch 9860 has been launched in a few regions. Any clue on when its coming to India ? I am waiting to lay my hands on one.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:17   #3599
Senior - BHPian

The rubber volume keys on my 8520 are gone. There is a gaping hole and i can only increase the volume. The other rubberised part on the sides is also showing signs of deterioration, I am not sure how long it wil last. Though it has lasted me for almost a year and a half, I am not too happy with quality.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:08   #3600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The rubber volume keys on my 8520 are gone. There is a gaping hole and i can only increase the volume. The other rubberised part on the sides is also showing signs of deterioration, I am not sure how long it wil last. Though it has lasted me for almost a year and a half, I am not too happy with quality.
8520 was the worst in the terms of quality. It was launched purely to widen the consumer base of BB. Hence the compromise on build quality. Even I'm quite unhappy with the rubber used and the general construction.

Most Viewed