Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 17:33   #3616
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
hello

updated my curve 9300 to OS6
now one issue i face is in the previous OS5 google maps used to work perfect without any glitch now in OS6 it does not work it gives error that data plan unsupported but it used to work perfect on OS5 with same data plan.

what can be the solution to this problem ?
google mpas is essential for me and so is OS6.
When do you get err?
What I miss from OS upgrade is the cam's settings :(

valhallen.282 : checked out a tbhpian's last week. There are some bugs according to him.
Old 31st August 2011, 18:26   #3617
BHPian

@jatinpatel reinstall the app by deleting rebooting and then reinstalling it from scratch. Also accept the changes in permissions it will request for. That's a permissions problem you're facing.

@jkdas that's odd I haven't faced any issues. In fact its been getting faster with every update. Some glaring omissions I will agree but not bugs no.
Old 31st August 2011, 21:38   #3618
BHPian

@valhallen

i tried doing the same mentioned many times still does not work accepted changes in permission and everything.

Still it takes loads of time to startup and once started it does not load the maps stating the reason that your blackberry plan is not supported.

But On the same plan same version of google maps used to work perfect without any glitch.
Old 31st August 2011, 23:57   #3619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@valhallen

i tried doing the same mentioned many times still does not work accepted changes in permission and everything.

Still it takes loads of time to startup and once started it does not load the maps stating the reason that your blackberry plan is not supported.

But On the same plan same version of google maps used to work perfect without any glitch.
Check for APN settings. After upgrade to OS6, you might need to put in APN settings again. Better way out is, connect on WIFI and start Google Maps, after you accept license it should work easily. Let me know if you need any help.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:03   #3620
BHPian

did that too
while connected to wifi opened google maps still the same issue and error.

also reinstalled app like 10times with reboot and all the process still nothing

tried downgrading to 4.4 still the same.
Old 1st September 2011, 02:35   #3621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
any other PlayBook people here?
+1
Fantastic multi-tasking & internet browsing device. Heard that V2 of the OS might be coming.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:43   #3622
BHPian

@jatin for the record what plan are you on. are you on the BIS or the BISLITE plan? the bislite plan will reroute all outgoing data from your phone that is not email or chat into the gprs plan. this gets blocked in OS 6. if you have a full fledged BIS plan then try downloading gmail from m.google.com to see if that works just to be certain that its not a problem on the phone end.

@xehaust oh yeah i know what you mean. i got myself the crackberry app just to wake up every morning and check ipdates for the PB.
Old 1st September 2011, 12:30   #3623
Senior - BHPian

I am unable to update to OS6. The App manager states that there isn't sufficient memory on my phone. I have a 1.5 GB memory card that is totally empty and also my phone has very little apps installed (FB and Gtalk).

How do I get the space?
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:56   #3624
Senior - BHPian

@ amtak: what phone do you use?

@ valhallen, xehaust: use a 16GB playbook. good device. waiting for the os2.0 update and hopefully the official android player
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:38   #3625
BHPian

I use a 32gb playbook and a Non 3g BB curve. Curve might feel built to a price but has withstood a lot and by that I mean a lot of abuse. A trip to the service centre is due for it soon! Let's hope it bring about the desired results. Ps. The playbook imho is absolutely the best 7" tablet out there. The QNX gives me some sort of hope about BB's future.

Ps. The torch 2 - 9810 just released in India at 29k or so the guy at blackberry said. Seems quite good!
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:42   #3626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I plan to get a BB Bold 9780. I am currently on the Vodafone network. Does anyone know if Vodafone has started 3G services in Bangalore? People using the BIS 599 plan in Bangalore, how are the speeds compared to the regular EDGE network or even the 3G?
Hi I'm a complete noob as far as BBs are concerned or for that matter smart phones.. For me a phone is for talking and sms, with occasional email use. My daughter has a samsung wave and she is after me to get her a BB 9780 and it costs like 19k. So can someone tell me what is it this BB can do that other BBs costing half that much cant?
Old 4th September 2011, 13:43   #3627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhallen.282 View Post
@jatin for the record what plan are you on. are you on the BIS or the BISLITE plan? the bislite plan will reroute all outgoing data from your phone that is not email or chat into the gprs plan. this gets blocked in OS 6. if you have a full fledged BIS plan then try downloading gmail from m.google.com to see if that works just to be certain that its not a problem on the phone end.

@xehaust oh yeah i know what you mean. i got myself the crackberry app just to wake up every morning and check ipdates for the PB.

I am using BISLITE plan from loop mobile

so you mean to say Maps wont work on OS6 if running a BIS LITE plan?
Old 5th September 2011, 10:47   #3628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi I'm a complete noob as far as BBs are concerned or for that matter smart phones.. For me a phone is for talking and sms, with occasional email use. My daughter has a samsung wave and she is after me to get her a BB 9780 and it costs like 19k. So can someone tell me what is it this BB can do that other BBs costing half that much cant?
Hi there! The big thing with BlackBerry is BlackBerry Messenger. It lets you talk with your BBM contacts effortlessly and is a real boon. Before I got my BB, I scoffed at the idea of using a phone just for the messenger service built into it, but believe me when I say it's fantastic. BB uses data more intelligently and efficiently and so it'll also help you save on your data charges. Other than that, email integration is superb and it's probably one of the best phones for professionals all said and done because of the keyboard, which is great to use.

I suspect your daughter wants it for the snob value, and frankly I don't see why she needs one Good luck talking her out of it!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 13:46   #3629
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

My wife uses a BB Curve 8520 and since last 3 days a red line has started appearing on his screen. I tried to reboot the fone a few times but it just stays there. Is the LCD damaged? Can it be repaired or has to be replaced only? and what would be the approximate cost for the same? Attaching the pics for reference.
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2011090200253.jpg

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-img2011090200252.jpg
Old 5th September 2011, 13:58   #3630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello All,

My wife uses a BB Curve 8520 and since last 3 days a red line has started appearing on his screen. I tried to reboot the fone a few times but it just stays there. Is the LCD damaged? Can it be repaired or has to be replaced only? and what would be the approximate cost for the same? Attaching the pics for reference.
Attachment 604583

Attachment 604584
I think the screen will have to be replaced. It could cost anything between 2-4k. IMO that 8520 is not a great phone, upgrade her to the new Curve if possible.

Most Viewed