Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2011, 16:14   #3766
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

I was also a proud owner of Blackberry 8520. But now Blackberry had announced that it wont support google products. i dont see any more use with my mobile. so i am going to sell it.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:25   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamizha View Post
I was also a proud owner of Blackberry 8520. But now Blackberry had announced that it wont support google products. i dont see any more use with my mobile. so i am going to sell it.
Why did you get that idea. In fact its Google that said it won't support the Gmail downloadable app. Rest of the Google apps (maps, sync, etc) including native gmail support in blackberry mail are business-as-usual.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:45   #3768
BHPian

A BB 9900 in White has just been released by Vodafone UK.
White BlackBerry Bold 9900 pictures and hands-on - Pocket-lint
White BlackBerry Bold 9900 pictures and hands-on - photo 1 - Pocket-lint

Any ideas when India might see an official release?
Old 15th November 2011, 16:04   #3769
BHPian

I a new BB user with 8520. I guess its running OS5. What are the best options for that model ?
Old 16th November 2011, 13:22   #3770
BHPian

BB Services are down in Gujarat since 11 a.m. . Anyone else facing this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
What version of the 6.0 are you running on your Bold 2.
The 6.0 interface is definitely more fancy and would use up more battery life over the comparatively bland interface of the 5.0 I'm quite amazed that the battery is lasting you longer with the 6.0 irrespective of the version.
I am also running OS 6.0.0.2475 on my BB Bold 9700. There are no issues as such except that OS 6 requires more RAM and internal memory so you cannot install a lot of apps otherwise it will make your phone lag and then you need to soft reset the phone atleast once a day.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd November 2011 at 21:06. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thansk
Old 18th November 2011, 22:52   #3771
BHPian

BB Playbook price has been reduced here in Canada from 499$ to 199$ for a 16GB version, by most of the big retailers like Staples, Walmart, Bestbuy, Futureshop etc. And understandably it's ben sold out within the first few minutes. There is also a significant price drop on the 32 & 64GB PB too.

I have used one and am impressed with the experience. The OS is so slick and easy to use. Only gripe is the lack of apps. Rest everything is simply beautiful, especially at this mouth-watering price. Tethering ensures that there is no significant increase in your phone/ data bills.

Hope RIM makes a good comeback with the OS update announced for Feb 2012. And also hope they dont go back on their promises again (native email client support was promised within 60 days of launch and that was in April this year...).

Btw, android app support has been confirmed in the beta OS which is out now.

Am moving to the BB fanboy group from the iOS for a change

P.S.: In US for black friday, Staples and few others have announced similar price drops. But seems there are only limited number of devices available.

Last edited by vinjosep : 18th November 2011 at 22:54. Reason: added info
Old 21st November 2011, 01:10   #3772
Distinguished - BHPian

Have the prices of the 9900 been hiked in Bombay? Current discounted rate is 32750 that I was qouted. Fair deal?

I got mine for 30 on the day of the launch but that rate is no longer valid. I expected prices to come down instead !
Old 21st November 2011, 09:51   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Have the prices of the 9900 been hiked in Bombay? Current discounted rate is 32750 that I was qouted. Fair deal?

I got mine for 30 on the day of the launch but that rate is no longer valid. I expected prices to come down instead !
Blame it on the falling rupee against the rising (US) dollar.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:45   #3774
BHPian

Hello all, 2 days ago I got my new Blackberry Curve 8520. My modem was not working so changed it today. I have purchased new modem of Dlink. So now I am able to access the net. But when I try to connect my Blackberry to wifi it shows connection successful but when I open the browser an error message comes saying " Unable to connect. Please try again later". I have a Airtel Broadband and the SIM is of BSNL. I have also put a password on the wifi connection. I am doing everything correctly but still I am unable to access the net. Please help.
Old 24th November 2011, 10:54   #3775
Senior - BHPian

Hello BB Users. Need inputs on an issue that i am facing with the device. I hope i am on the right thread to get the inputs.

Issue: I recorded some videos on the device. These were of traffic offences that i encounter everyday on the way to office My intention is to upload it to the Pune Traffic Police FB page. So i connected the device to my laptop and downloaded the files on my machine.

Now i can see 2 files for a single video - "VID 00006.3GP.lock3" and "VID 00006.3GP.REM". As you can see the file names are the same but with different extensions.

Questions:
1) Why are 2 files created?
2) What is the meaning of .REM extension against one of the files.
3) I found some online sites which do the conversion of the blackberry videos to Windows Media Player version. but because of the REM extension it is not going through.

Any inputs on this issue are greatly appreciated.
Old 24th November 2011, 11:19   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
I got my new Blackberry Curve 8520. ... when I open the browser an error message comes saying " Unable to connect. Please try again later". ... Please help.
Please check this link if it is any help: KB20526-"Failed to connect to the Internet" appears on a BlackBerry smartphone that attempts to connect to a hotspot using Wi-Fi connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Issue: I recorded some videos on the device. ... So i connected the device to my laptop and downloaded the files on my machine. Now i can see 2 files for a single video - "VID 00006.3GP.lock3" and "VID 00006.3GP.REM".
Questions:
1) Why are 2 files created?
2) What is the meaning of .REM extension against one of the files.
3) I found some online sites which do the conversion of the blackberry videos to Windows Media Player version. but because of the REM extension it is not going through.

Any inputs on this issue are greatly appreciated.
This is mostly due to incompatibility in transferring encrypted content from your micro SD card to your computer. Use latest BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to transfer the encrypted files to your computer.
This BlackBerry knowledge base article might be of some help: KB11454-Encrypted files stored on the microSD media card appear as .rem files

Last edited by Neilguy : 24th November 2011 at 11:20.
Neilguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 15:40   #3777
Distinguished - BHPian

Bit OT : Is my eyes playing with me or this is for real?

Brand new Blackberry Playbook ( 64GB version) is for Rs.19,250. This looks like too good a deal to miss.

Is there something fishy or this looks genuine? Inputs please

BRAND NEW BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 64GB !!! | eBay
Old 25th November 2011, 12:09   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Bit OT : Is my eyes playing with me or this is for real?

Brand new Blackberry Playbook ( 64GB version) is for Rs.19,250. This looks like too good a deal to miss.

Is there something fishy or this looks genuine? Inputs please

BRAND NEW BLACKBERRY PLAYBOOK 64GB !!! | eBay
Hi!
It's sold now!! Prices have been brought down in other countries, but in India it's yet to come down. Rs.19,250 for 64GB version is really a deal and you can expect more such deals soon!!

Solomon
Old 25th November 2011, 15:48   #3779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi!
It's sold now!! Prices have been brought down in other countries, but in India it's yet to come down. Rs.19,250 for 64GB version is really a deal and you can expect more such deals soon!!

Solomon
Shucks, its sold..huh?

Btw, the person who bought it is ME

Decided in 3 minutes and beat almost 5 buyers to that playbook
Old 25th November 2011, 16:38   #3780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Shucks, its sold..huh?

Btw, the person who bought it is ME

Decided in 3 minutes and beat almost 5 buyers to that playbook
Congrats Mate!!

You've got to wait till almost middle of next year to get your mails direct to your PlayBook!!

Most Viewed