Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 10:18   #3811
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Hello guys,

I need some help with the software update. BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.0.0.2090 (Asia) for the BB 9900 ?
I downloaded the update and is on my Mac. But the BB desktop software does not even recognize the file. I even have the latest version of the BB desktop software .
Any of you guys having the same issue ?
Old 9th December 2011, 13:52   #3812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Harry, if you want to choose between 9810, Torch 3 and 9900. I would recommend the 9810 as its a great phone and with that large screen looks great.

I have a 9800 and works like a charm and battery life is also pretty awesome. Like starscream said, if you slide the screen up, the top is a bit heavy but, nothing to worry. It's big, strong and tough and looks very classy too

Besides, with 9810 you have the OS7 with lovely graphics and more importantly 1GHZ processor ( compared to my 9800)

I would recommend the 9810 and please dont take a white phone as white is meant for girls
Thanks mobike.
Yes i have made my mind towards 9810 after reading numerous reviews.
Well i thought Pink is meant for girls rather than white

Which colors 9810 is currently available in India rite now?
I didnt liked the black and silver one. Do we have any more options?

Also what is the current market price going on for this?

P.S-its actually a 1.2ghz processor and is lightning fast compared to 9800!

Last edited by harry10 : 9th December 2011 at 13:53.
Old 9th December 2011, 14:55   #3813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thanks mobike.

White is also meant for girls, especially in phones. You will see majority of girls toting white or various colored skins on their phones

Not too many color options. I reckon thats the only ones. Go for Black

A couple of my friends bought it for roughly 27K a few months ago in Hyderabad
Old 14th December 2011, 10:43   #3814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Thanks mobike.

The 9810 is a wonderful phone in itself and has an excellent OS too. But keep in mind that the list of apps that you can install on OS7 devices (a dynamically changing list) is still a fraction of what you have available for OS6 devices. Before making a decision, do make sure that the apps that you can't live without are available to be installed on 9810 or other OS7 devices.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:44   #3815
Senior - BHPian

9810 is cheaper by almost 5k if i get it without bill and warranty.
Is it worth it?
Old 14th December 2011, 16:04   #3816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10
9810 is cheaper by almost 5k if i get it without bill and warranty.
Is it worth it?
In a word, no. If something goes wrong with the phone, you're left to fend for yursekf
Old 15th December 2011, 00:01   #3817
BHPian

I'm really fed up with the blackberry services since last couple of weeks, every other day CC guys ask me to change some or the other settings. I bought BB 9800 2 months back with bill, now i'm thinking of selling the same, if services doesn't improve in coming days. My other handset on which normal internet is activated always works fine.

What price shall i ask for it, bought it for 22700, like new condition, with bill and 16 months warranty left?

Ravi
Old 18th December 2011, 16:44   #3818
Senior - BHPian

BlackBerry Curve 9360

I bought a BB Curve 9360 over 2 months back. Initially, I was damn pissed with it's ultra short battery life. I would charge my phone at 7 am and unplug when fully charged. But the battery would drain out by 5 pm or so. By the time I reached home (around 7.30 pm), the phone would be on orange, or sometimes even the red zone. This, despite the fact that 3G would be off and BT/WiFi was rarely used. Had I used BT for even 1 hour in a day, the battery would die out much sooner.

Since my usage had not changed (from my earlier Curve 8520), the blame was entirely on the 1000 maH battery. Here's my usage analysis for the forum's benefit:
1. ~10-15 calls per day
2. 4 email accounts, totalling to about 100-125 email exchanges per day
3. ~20-25 SMS sent and received daily
4. BT for the time I'm driving (may not necessarily mean I'm talking during this time) - 2 hours per day

My first knee-jerk reaction was to list the phone up for sale. However, I started searching the net and fiddling with the settings to magically come up with some cure. Finally, I found it and ever since, I have been getting consistently great battery life. It's as if I'm back to my 8520 days. Now I charge the phone at 7 am and it lasts all throughout my work day+more. So essentially, the battery dies out only next morning (so in all, almost 24 hour usage). Usage of course has remained the same, or increased a bit too.

So here are the tweaks:
1. Location OFF - by default, the phone keeps the internal GPS ON always. So you have to deactivate that by going to Options->Location Settings
2. Backlight brightness : reduced to 10. Trust me, it takes only minutes to get used to lowered brightness and it in NO way affects usage. BB screens are good resolution. Reduce your brightness by going to Options->Screen Display
3. Social Feeds : Delete all subscriptions and voila, see the difference!

My improved battery life was based on JUST the above 3 tweaks.

Some further suggestions can be implemented, such as:
1. Deactivate 3G if you are not on the plan : Options->Mobile Network->2G only
2. Automatic refresh interval of Facebook has been set to 3 hours. I tried changing it to Manual Refresh but the app hangs, so I selected 3 hours. I anyway dont use FB extensively, so this helped even more.
3. Get a BB Original holster (It's for Rs 699 on Ebay). It helps to save the battery by putting the screen in sleep mode as soon as you insert the phone in holster

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 18th December 2011 at 16:49.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:32   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Re: BlackBerry Curve 9360

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I bought a BB Curve 9360 over 2 months back. Initially, I was damn pissed with it's ultra short battery life. I would charge my phone at 7 am and unplug when fully charged. But the battery would drain out by 5 pm or so. By the time I reached home (around 7.30 pm), the phone would be on orange, or sometimes even the red zone. This, despite the fact that 3G would be off and BT/WiFi was rarely used. Had I used BT for even 1 hour in a day, the battery would die out much sooner.

Since my usage had not changed (from my earlier Curve 8520), the blame was entirely on the 1000 maH battery. Here's my usage analysis for the forum's benefit:
1. ~10-15 calls per day
2. 4 email accounts, totalling to about 100-125 email exchanges per day
3. ~20-25 SMS sent and received daily
4. BT for the time I'm driving (may not necessarily mean I'm talking during this time) - 2 hours per day

My first knee-jerk reaction was to list the phone up for sale. However, I started searching the net and fiddling with the settings to magically come up with some cure. Finally, I found it and ever since, I have been getting consistently great battery life. It's as if I'm back to my 8520 days. Now I charge the phone at 7 am and it lasts all throughout my work day+more. So essentially, the battery dies out only next morning (so in all, almost 24 hour usage). Usage of course has remained the same, or increased a bit too.

So here are the tweaks:
1. Location OFF - by default, the phone keeps the internal GPS ON always. So you have to deactivate that by going to Options->Location Settings
2. Backlight brightness : reduced to 10. Trust me, it takes only minutes to get used to lowered brightness and it in NO way affects usage. BB screens are good resolution. Reduce your brightness by going to Options->Screen Display
3. Social Feeds : Delete all subscriptions and voila, see the difference!

My improved battery life was based on JUST the above 3 tweaks.

Some further suggestions can be implemented, such as:
1. Deactivate 3G if you are not on the plan : Options->Mobile Network->2G only
2. Automatic refresh interval of Facebook has been set to 3 hours. I tried changing it to Manual Refresh but the app hangs, so I selected 3 hours. I anyway dont use FB extensively, so this helped even more.
3. Get a BB Original holster (It's for Rs 699 on Ebay). It helps to save the battery by putting the screen in sleep mode as soon as you insert the phone in holster
I have the 9900 and I too was unhappy with the poor battery life .But a OS update to .474 has changed things drastically .

Yes ,whatever you have mentioned does help improve battery life .

I dont think BB Protect would work with GPS turned off .

Last edited by speedsatya : 19th December 2011 at 12:57.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:16   #3820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have the 9900 and I too was unhappy with the poor battery life .But a OS update to .474 has changed things drastically .

Yes ,whatever you have mentioned does help improve battery life .

I dont think BB Protect would work with GPS turned off .
BB Protect isnt linked to GPS. I had it in my 8520 as well.

Moreover, Protect will work over Wifi also, if you want it to be that way. Maybe the GPS is just for live tracking purpose. But the backup and restore is independent of GPS.
Old 19th December 2011, 14:39   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I have the 9900 and I too was unhappy with the poor battery life .But a OS update to .474 has changed things drastically ..
Hey thats great news!

Will help if you can share more details. Will be great if you can quantify in some way.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:41   #3822
Senior - BHPian

If your phone is through the service providers ,you would have to check their websites for OS updates .Or ,you can look at the Redington India site and download the OS update .And through Desktop Manager ,all you need to do is install this update .

I do see a noticeable improvement in battery life .But ,I still have 3 chargers with me - A car charger ,the OE charger and a charging pod in office .
Old 20th December 2011, 16:59   #3823
BHPian

Folks, need some help with OWA.

I moved to 299 BIS plan and added my personal e-mail accounts however when adding my office e-mails via OWA, it is never successfull.

Do i need to be on a certain BB plan
Cant this work on Wi-Fi alone ?
Old 20th December 2011, 17:48   #3824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Just got the 9790 and for those looking for a nice compact qwerty BB can look at this, as of now the only problem I'm facing is the lock button feels a little harder to reach compared to my previous 9700 but maybe it's only about getting used to it, and love it's slim profile, had considered 9900 but all friends who use it for some or the other reason said I should not.

Will report about the battery in few days,

Regards,
As you have had the 9790 for some time, any feedback?

It looks like a good compromise on size and price to the 9900?
Old 20th December 2011, 20:14   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja

As you have had the 9790 for some time, any feedback?

It looks like a good compromise on size and price to the 9900?
Hello,

The phones nice, but honestly I see no point of the touchscreen makes it hard to talk on as sometimes I've ended up answering call writings as a result of it touching some part of my face,

Another thing I miss over bold 2 is the leather grip at the back but now I'm fine but first week struggled to be able to type as good as I could with the previous bold,

Good part is phone hasn't hung up even once, and battery life is ok ok I'd avoid 3G as on that by 4 pm my battery dies, and I start day at about 9 am,

I'd rate it 8 out of 10, mainly got it for higher ram and processor as bold 2 always hung up on me. And the 9900 was out of question due to its size, got this for 26k, the first phone I had was with a defective keypad and the dealer replaced it over the counter for me.

Regards,

Most Viewed