Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 15:47   #3841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

I downloaded wisepilot app but got no maps. So I was thinking I would load maps separately and then associate it with the app. will it work?
Old 29th December 2011, 10:59   #3842
Senior - BHPian

Look at this news on TOI today:

RIM slashes PlayBook prices by 50%

New Delhi: Canadian firm Research In Motion (RIM) has slashed the price of its Play-Book by more than half to Rs 13,490 for the 16 GB version to cash in on the festive season and burgeoning demand for tablet PCs in India.
RIM,which is known for its BlackBerry series of phones,had introduced PlayBook in June in the Indian market.
The 16 GB version of the PlayBook is available at Rs 13,490 in the festive offer,a more than 50% discount from the regular price of Rs 27,990 under a limited festive season offer until December 31, a RIM spokesperson said.
A tablet PC,though smaller in size,has PC-like functionalities.The prices for 32 GB and 64 GB versions have also been reduced.The 32 GB version will be available at Rs 15,990,while the 64 GB model will be priced at Rs 24,490 under the limited period offer,the spokesperson added.
The devices are currently available at Rs 32,990 (32GB) and Rs 37,990 (64GB).
The Canadian firm had launched the PlayBook in India,along with other markets like the UK,the Netherlands,Hong Kong,Australia and the UAE.
The seven-inch tablet,Play-Book,runs on a new operating system built by QNX Software Systems a RIM unit that makes software used to run everything from cars to nuclear reactors.On a PlayBook,users can go online only using a Wi-Fi network or by synchronising the device to their BlackBerry smartphones.
Analysts said tablet sales in India are expected to touch one million units over the next 12 months.With 3G being rolled out aggressively,the opportunity has only expanded,they said.PTI
Old 4th January 2012, 22:37   #3843
BHPian

Folks, looks like the end of road for my blackberry. Our office is moving to cloud and blackberry (as i am told) wont be supported at all.

The search for an alternate phone has started but still not giving up my BB thinking that there must be lot of other users like me who are on BIS / no BIS & happy with it. So what if BES is no longer there - if i can get addicted to BES, i can get rid of the habit too.

At present i am on BIS 299 + wifi at home / work. I activate 599 when i have to travel out of town.

Couple of apps i have started to use again:
1. Social feeds (core app for os6 & above)
2. FB for BB
3. Twitter for BB
4. Evernote (killer app if you install both pc and mobile version.)
Old 5th January 2012, 02:48   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Folks, looks like the end of road for my blackberry. Our office is moving to cloud and blackberry (as i am told) wont be supported at all.
Lots of companies are now moving away from BB, last month i also received an email from our IT dept that BB will only be available for Senior management and others will be required to use IOS. Also, couple of my friends told me that their companies are also moving away from BB and the companies in picture are some of the biggest multinationals. Looks like bad news for BB, anyhow, even i want to now sell out my 3 months old BB 9800, hope to get some good deal.

Regards
Ravi Parwal
Old 5th January 2012, 19:00   #3845
Senior - BHPian

Guys waze is a GPS dependent service or GPRS/wifi dependent? any Idea?
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 22:13   #3846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys waze is a GPS dependent service or GPRS/wifi dependent? any Idea?
Its Both.
GPS is for voice navigation and GPRS/EDGE/3G is needed for loading maps.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:52   #3847
Senior - BHPian

Damn! Maybe my BB Curve 3G is 6months old; where the shortcut botton (rhs of mobile) should be is now a hole!

The button on rhs too will fall off soon!
Old 6th January 2012, 20:58   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Damn! Maybe my BB Curve 3G is 6months old; where the shortcut botton (rhs of mobile) should be is now a hole!

The button on rhs too will fall off soon!
If its under warranty, get it fixed man.
My curve 3g fell couple of times but no loose hardware. Couple of tiny dents - thats it.
Old 15th January 2012, 09:54   #3849
BHPian

8910, 9700, and now on a 9810.

Facing some issues with the new Torch, my first reason for upgrading to the torch was that the 9700 with OS 6 on it had lesser memory, and kept slowing down. A battery pull was necessary sometimes on a daily basis. I was running out of space and could not install more apps, without slowing the phone down.

So i thought the Torch with its 8 GB space shall do good for quite a few years. I was wrong. The apps don"t get installed on its 8 GB space, but rather on the 750 odd MB of space shared with the RAM i guess, cause it says i have 101MB remaining. I hate you RIM

Issue 2: the orientation change between landscape and potrait. Can't seem to find a way to lock it. Learn from Apple dear RIM

The Packaging mentions (No CD for BBDM or anything else, inspite spending 30K on the phone, please download everything. Learnt from Apple?) ability to create a wifi hotspot, but i did not find the same on the software. Software seems to be update as per BBDM. Any pointers?

Last edited by slicvic : 15th January 2012 at 09:55. Reason: Spelling Correction
Old 15th January 2012, 10:32   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post

So i thought the Torch with its 8 GB space shall do good for quite a few years. I was wrong. The apps don"t get installed on its 8 GB space, but rather on the 750 odd MB of space shared with the RAM i guess, cause it says i have 101MB remaining. I hate you RIM

This is one of the factors, for which my next phone will not be a bb. For some unknown reason, BB can never save the apps on the media card. The shared memory concept sucks big time. This is a major plus point for Android.
Old 15th January 2012, 17:06   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post

ability to create a wifi hotspot, but i did not find the same on the software.
Wifi hotspot is available on software version 7.1. This is officially not out for the 9810.

Check here for the Leaked non-official 7.1 and follow instructions at your risk.
Leaked OS 7.1.0.190 for BlackBerry Torch 9810 Findings and Fixes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Hope this helps.
Old 15th January 2012, 17:47   #3852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
This is one of the factors, for which my next phone will not be a bb. For some unknown reason, BB can never save the apps on the media card. The shared memory concept sucks big time. This is a major plus point for Android.
I was talking about the On Board memory, which is 8GB on the phone, i was under the impression that apps can be installed there. Other than the OnBoard 8GB i have a 4 GB card, carried over from the 9700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Wifi hotspot is available on software version 7.1. This is officially not out for the 9810.

Check here for the Leaked non-official 7.1 and follow instructions at your risk.
Leaked OS 7.1.0.190 for BlackBerry Torch 9810 Findings and Fixes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Hope this helps.

Oh ok. Guess its coming soon in the next update since they have mentioned it on the leaflet in the box. Hope its not 3G only, since the EDGE speeds are better than 3G in the places i stay
Old 16th January 2012, 02:23   #3853
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for that, now eagerly awaiting the update for the 9860.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post

Hope this helps.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:54   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Thanks for that, now eagerly awaiting the update for the 9860.
Leaked version out already:
Leaked OS 7.1.0.190 for BlackBerry Torch 9860 Findings and Fixes - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
Raja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 16:09   #3855
BHPian

Vodafone and Airtel launch new BBM plan for 129 per month.

Vodafone also rolled out an introductory offer for all its subscribers. On the purchase BlackBerry Curve 8520 and BlackBerry Curve 9300 handsets, consumers will get to enjoy unlimited access to BlackBerry services for a year from the date of purchase. This offer till is valid only till February 2012.

The BlackBerry 129 offer form Airtel is available for both the existing and newer postpaid customers and can be activated from today onwards. Vodafone on the other hand will be making the service available for its customers, both postpaid and prepaid, from next week onwards.

Vodafone brings new BBM plan at Rs 129 per month

Airtel launches cheapest BlackBerry plan for just Rs 129

-Sajan

Most Viewed