Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 20:28   #3871
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Urgent help needed team.I have installed whatsapp on my 9300 3G, I am currently subscribed to mail and BBM plan (no browsing) of airtel. I am unable to login to watsapp through wifi ,although I can surf all sites.I get exception error , while whatsapp says acquiring network after i enter my phone number,and doesnt move beyond. Kindly throw some technical light.
Old 31st January 2012, 11:57   #3872
Senior - BHPian

Guys is it possible to tethering a blackberry to an android phone via wifi or bluetooth ?

I want to use my bb data plan on the android phone.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 31st January 2012 at 12:01.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:07   #3873
BHPian

KSM. Tethring is not possible via Wi-Fi unless you latest 9900/9810 BB with latest .190 OS.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:13   #3874
Senior - BHPian

Guys, its a long time visiting this space ! Could anyone suggest an online store where we get BB genuine batteries ? I saw a brand called 'Seidio' with 4 times or more life than the original BB. Anyone has some user experience with this brand ?
Old 31st January 2012, 17:14   #3875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Urgent help needed team.I have installed whatsapp on my 9300 3G, I am currently subscribed to mail and BBM plan (no browsing) of airtel. I am unable to login to watsapp through wifi ,although I can surf all sites.I get exception error , while whatsapp says acquiring network after i enter my phone number,and doesnt move beyond. Kindly throw some technical light.

Whatsapp has always been a mystery app for bb users "from what i've seen on forums". Whatsapp must have the BIS active but with this, it will either use BIS or any connection available depending on availability. If some people can run whatsapp without BIS, good for them but it doesn't mean it will work for others.

@ shajufx - You might wanna try visiting crackberry.com for accessories and reviews for Blackberry devices.

Last edited by comet : 31st January 2012 at 17:16.
Old 31st January 2012, 17:30   #3876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatsapp should work on your BB phone on wi-fi irrespective of what data plan you have .On wifi,it should work even if you dont have a data plan
Try reinstalling it .

I was using it without any problems on my 9900
Old 31st January 2012, 18:14   #3877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Guys is it possible to tethering a blackberry to an android phone via wifi or bluetooth ?

I want to use my bb data plan on the android phone.
You can create a wifi hotspot with any of the newer BlackBerries that support OS 7.1 to tether any wifi device to use your BB data.

To tether a computer running Windows to a BB phone, you can use Desktop Manager with usb cable, and browse using the BB data plan.

But beware, there "might be" extra charges levied by your mobile provider when you are using tethered data.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:19   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
You can create a wifi hotspot with any of the newer BlackBerries that support OS 7.1 to tether any wifi device to use your BB data.

To tether a computer running Windows to a BB phone, you can use Desktop Manager with usb cable, and browse using the BB data plan.

But beware, there "might be" extra charges levied by your mobile provider when you are using tethered data.
Hey thanks a lot!

But is it possible in some way to do the wifi hotspot on the os5?

I am using the curve 8520.
Old 31st January 2012, 18:56   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Sorry for asking this but how can I get OS 7.1?

It doesn't show me any update on my 9790 nor does it show on my desktop manager?

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy

Old 31st January 2012, 22:06   #3880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Hello,

Sorry for asking this but how can I get OS 7.1?

It doesn't show me any update on my 9790 nor does it show on my desktop manager?

Regards,
I don't think there is a OS 7.1 for 9790. You can check the latest official and leaked OS versions for your BB at this webpage: #The BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com
Old 31st January 2012, 22:25   #3881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Guys, its a long time visiting this space ! Could anyone suggest an online store where we get BB genuine batteries ? I saw a brand called 'Seidio' with 4 times or more life than the original BB. Anyone has some user experience with this brand ?
Flipkart carries original blackberry batteries (pricey though)
Old 1st February 2012, 00:50   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
@Inder,
Whatsapp is free for the first year and chargeable from the second year onwards, to know who to charge and when, they need to tie that info with something unique to identify your account.

And that is your mobile number. So you will need to activate your data plan with your service provider, get it activate and then can use it only on wifi.

My friend from New Zealand, just visited Bombay, and used her whatsapp was activated on her New Zealand number, she used it with wifi, no roaming.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:30   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just try a few times and make sure your wifi and registered mobile (with whatsapp, even without data) is working

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@Inder,
Whatsapp is free for the first year and chargeable from the second year onwards, to know who to charge and when, they need to tie that info with something unique to identify your account.

And that is your mobile number. So you will need to activate your data plan with your service provider, get it activate and then can use it only on wifi.

My friend from New Zealand, just visited Bombay, and used her whatsapp was activated on her New Zealand number, she used it with wifi, no roaming.

Hope this helps.
Well i am not sure but i think it should be possible to use WhatsApp without a data connection on a sim as long as you have registered some number with them in the past and that number is still active (even without data)

You can download the app and then just put in your registered number. They will then send you a code via sms or call which you need to input to take the installation forward. All this can be done on wifi!

You can also create a new account on wifi, all you will need is an active number which need not have data activated.

Again all this is possible because -
- activation of whatsapp on any device required only a code which comes via sms/call.
- Operation of whatsapp needs an active number which you would register with them and receive the activation code on.

Have done the above myself!

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 1st February 2012 at 10:32.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:39   #3884
Senior - BHPian

I was on BB plan (399Rs) with 3G with DoCoMo for the last few months and from last week '3G' wasn't working. After visiting 2 DoCoMo offices and stuff, I was told that DoCoMo has made it 2G + BB plan without telling customers.

Funny part is BB technician is trying to find why I aitn getting 3G after I raised a ticket with DoCoMo two days ago.

So, gonna move to another provider again.
Old 1st February 2012, 17:01   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I was on BB plan (399Rs) with 3G with DoCoMo for the last few months and from last week '3G' wasn't working. After visiting 2 DoCoMo offices and stuff, I was told that DoCoMo has made it 2G + BB plan without telling customers.

Funny part is BB technician is trying to find why I aitn getting 3G after I raised a ticket with DoCoMo two days ago.

So, gonna move to another provider again.
Here in Maharashtra Circle, I have only found BSNL and Vodafone (Postpaid only) who offer BB+3G, the other networks give you BB (on 2G) + 3G, but your BB data exchanges are done at 2G speed.

Anyone have first had experience of BB on 3G?
(I am looking to change my Airtel number to another network).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks