Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 09:54   #3901
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Most apps work on wifi but whatsapp particularly does not work with wifi, but yeah the browser should respond to the wifi.
I've used whatsapp with the network off, and wifi on (version 2.7.2723) works fine. Maybe you need to update to the latest version of whatsapp.
Only wish BBM worked like this as well.
Old 28th February 2012, 10:57   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
I deactivated my BIS399 plan today for a week. Now I need to use only whatsapp so I got the 99 data plan from vodafone but that doesn't seem to work at all. Also I dont know why but my phone is having problems connecting to my home wifi. On the screen it shows connected but the browser and whatsapp don't work. I tried 3 other phones on the same wifi network and all 3 work properly! My wifi supports WPS connectivity btw.
Try using the BOLT browser for Blackberry, its fast and better featured than the Blackerry browser. I've had issues with the Blackberry browser wherein the browser used to give trouble, Bolt would work fine. Check if there is an software update available, could solve bugs if any.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:32   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Most apps work on wifi but whatsapp particularly does not work with wifi, but yeah the browser should respond to the wifi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I've used whatsapp with the network off, and wifi on (version 2.7.2723) works fine. Maybe you need to update to the latest version of whatsapp.
Only wish BBM worked like this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leistung View Post
Try using the BOLT browser for Blackberry, its fast and better featured than the Blackerry browser. I've had issues with the Blackberry browser wherein the browser used to give trouble, Bolt would work fine. Check if there is an software update available, could solve bugs if any.
After connecting to my Belkin wireless router my browser and whatsapp both worked properly with the mobile network turned off. However this was only for 5-10 mins and after that it again started giving problems. I have heard of BBs having problems connecting to Belkin routers often. Read many threads on crackberry. I need to change the channel and ssid settings to get the connection working properly. BTW my bb worked properly with a d-link wifi router though.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:21   #3904
gpa
Senior - BHPian

First time BB user queries

Folks,

This is my first post on this thread.

I will have my first tryst with a smartphone when I get my new BB Curve 3G 9300 from a friend tomorrow. I have been an ardent Nokia fan since 2005 and have been wanting to change my phone for the past few months. I did checkout the Samsung Androids but didn't like the 'touch' interface on them. The iPhone has a smoother touch interface is what I felt and hence steered clear of them. I somehow prefer the tactile feel of a 'qwerty' phone.

I'm switching over to a BB only because I'm getting a brand-new BB since my friend has not used it since she bought it and wants to give it away before she leaves the country. I do intend to pay her something rather than accept it for free.

I am thinking of activating the Vodafone BIS299 plan on my BB which will give me access to BBM, 9 personal email and 1 official email accounts. I do not need browsing since I can do that over WiFi which is present both at home and at work.

do answer my following queries:

1. Most of my friends are either on BBM, Whatsapp or Google talk so will I be able to run Whatsapp and gtalk on my BB with the BIS299 plan from Vodafone which doesn't support internet browsing? (I don't want to be able to connect to Whatsapp, gtalk or yahoo messenger using only WiFi as that defeats the purpose when I'm not near an access point)

2. It currently runs on BB 5 OS which I read can be upgraded to OS 6 or 7? Is this right?

I tried getting these queries answered by Vodafone but in vain!

Thanks,
gpa
Old 8th March 2012, 14:33   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Re: First time BB user queries

Answer in bold for the 1st one, not sure of the 2nd. Havent tried on my 8520.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Folks,

answer my following queries:

1. Most of my friends are either on BBM, Whatsapp or Google talk so will I be able to run Whatsapp and gtalk on my BB with the BIS299 plan from Vodafone which doesn't support internet browsing? (I don't want to be able to connect to Whatsapp, gtalk or yahoo messenger using only WiFi as that defeats the purpose when I'm not near an access point)

Not as far as I know, Gtalk and BBM yes but no Whatsapp on 299 plan. I tried, didnt work.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 8th March 2012, 14:39   #3906
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

This is my first post on this thread.

I will have my first tryst with a smartphone when I get my new BB Curve 3G 9300 from a friend tomorrow. I have been an ardent Nokia fan since 2005 and have been wanting to change my phone for the past few months. I did checkout the Samsung Androids but didn't like the 'touch' interface on them. The iPhone has a smoother touch interface is what I felt and hence steered clear of them. I somehow prefer the tactile feel of a 'qwerty' phone.

I'm switching over to a BB only because I'm getting a brand-new BB since my friend has not used it since she bought it and wants to give it away before she leaves the country. I do intend to pay her something rather than accept it for free.

I am thinking of activating the Vodafone BIS299 plan on my BB which will give me access to BBM, 9 personal email and 1 official email accounts. I do not need browsing since I can do that over WiFi which is present both at home and at work.

do answer my following queries:

2. It currently runs on BB 5 OS which I read can be upgraded to OS 6 or 7? Is this right?

I tried getting these queries answered by Vodafone but in vain!

Thanks,
gpa
For whatsapp you need the 399 plan. In that you'll get unlimited browsing too.
For your 2nd query, yes you can upgrade the Curve 3g to OS6 but i'm not sure about OS7.
Old 8th March 2012, 14:40   #3907
BHPian

[quote=gpa;2707168]2. It currently runs on BB 5 OS which I read can be upgraded to OS 6 or 7? Is this right?

quote]

Welcome to the club of people who think like you do. A tactile feel is something I can never live without on a cellphone. True, I admire the driods and the iPs but would never want to own one. Touchscreen/stylus is simply not my thing. Maybe I'd have to switch over at some point if RIM dies. Fingers crossed, and hope that doesn't happen.

The BB 9300 cannot be upgraded to OS 7 for sure! What you may need to check is whether it even comes with an OS 6. I know the BB 8520 comes with a 5 0S, although they had a new batch of 8520s that came in with a sticker on the box saying OS 6 inside. And later turned out to apologize because it was a printing mistake. I seriously doubt it.

As for the plans, I'll leave it to you to choose from the wide variety out there.
Old 8th March 2012, 15:09   #3908
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Answer in bold for the 1st one.
Thanks for your input. Okay, so if IM (Gtalk, YM, AIM) and BBM work on the BIS299 plan I don't see why Whatsapp won't work especially since it is similar to Instant Messaging (IM) right?

Quote:
For whatsapp you need the 399 plan. In that you'll get unlimited browsing too. For your 2nd query, yes you can upgrade the Curve 3g to OS6 but i'm not sure about OS7.
Unfortunately there is no BIS399 plan on Vodafone, the only other one is BIS599 which includes browsing as well which doesn't make sense to me since I don't need browsing.

Glad to know I can upgrade to OS 6. Thanks for your prompt input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Welcome to the club of people who think like you do. A tactile feel is something I can never live without on a cellphone.
Yup, I can't do without it either. The iPhone's interface is very good and I wouldn't mind switching over to that but not the ones from Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
The BB 9300 cannot be upgraded to OS 7 for sure! What you may need to check is whether it even comes with an OS 6.
Thanks for your inputs. I will check the box. My friend did mention that it runs on OS 6 I think
Old 8th March 2012, 15:59   #3909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your input. Okay, so if IM (Gtalk, YM, AIM) and BBM work on the BIS299 plan I don't see why Whatsapp won't work especially since it is similar to Instant Messaging (IM) right?
Yeah, i came from the same school of thought and installed it but it gave me an error saying I need internet access
Old 8th March 2012, 22:06   #3910
BHPian

@gpa- the BIS399 plan- I had to go to the vodafone store to activated it, not an option thru the call centre or IVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard
For whatsapp you need the 399 plan. In that you'll get unlimited browsing too. For your 2nd query, yes you can upgrade the Curve 3g to OS6 but i'm not sure about OS7.

Unfortunately there is no BIS399 plan on Vodafone, the only other one is BIS599 which includes browsing as well which doesn't make sense to me since I don't need browsing.
Old 8th March 2012, 23:53   #3911
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@gpa- the BIS399 plan- I had to go to the vodafone store to activated it, not an option thru the call centre or IVR
Thanks for this.

But are you sure this is not specific to the Mumbai circle?

I did check the Vodafone website again and the BIS399 is available on prepaid like it is here in the Karnataka circle but not on postpaid.
Old 9th March 2012, 13:16   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this.

But are you sure this is not specific to the Mumbai circle?

I did check the Vodafone website again and the BIS399 is available on prepaid like it is here in the Karnataka circle but not on postpaid.
Oh yeah BIS399 is only for prepaid. But I know someone who got BIS399 on his postpaid by arguing at the vodafone gallery saying that if you can provide the 399 plan on prepaid then why not on postpaid!
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 13:19   #3913
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yeah BIS399 is only for prepaid. But I know someone who got BIS399 on his postpaid by arguing at the vodafone gallery saying that if you can provide the 399 plan on prepaid then why not on postpaid!
Thanks again for your input. I will do my best to try and wrestle it out of them as well.
Old 9th March 2012, 14:33   #3914
Senior - BHPian

Re: First time bb user query

My cousin just purchased curve 8520, and putted up a new airtel postpaid sim separately, now he just want to access his gmail/yahoo mail account so that he can receive his business mail on phone, so can he activate 98/2gb plan on his bb or he needs to activate bb services separately just to access mail account ??

Thanks in advance
Sameer
Old 9th March 2012, 14:57   #3915
BHPian

Re: First time bb user query

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
My cousin just purchased curve 8520, and putted up a new airtel postpaid sim separately, now he just want to access his gmail/yahoo mail account so that he can receive his business mail on phone, so can he activate 98/2gb plan on his bb or he needs to activate bb services separately just to access mail account ??

Thanks in advance
Sameer
98/2gb plan doesn't work on bb. I tried it on my 8520. You need to activate the bb services.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks