Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2013, 15:20   #4321
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

It's not that Iam not app crazy or wouldnt mind having some nice apps.

Infact, I read detailed reviews before downloading an app as it saves me time of downloading and deleting within a few minutes ( which happened so many times in the past, iam thoroughly wary now of impromptu downloading)

During initial days like any small kid offered a candy, i used to download every damn app available and subsquently make my phone crash or make it terribly slow.

In the current information overload era, Iam now a wise app user. I download apps which i use atleast once a week rest are all trashed. And, I deleted all game apps from my BB phone as I prefer playing games on my Playbook instead.

Like how many times you go to a pub and open Shazam to identify the song thats playing? Do we have the patience? Nah! I tried once or twice then deleted it ( even though its a very good app) as no point letting it sit on your phone eating your bandwidth.

In short, I am terribly happy with the BB platform and never felt the need for apps that will make my life easier.

I wish the Droid and iOS users a great time being submerged in the millions of apps that they claim are available for them to use and get lost in that mirage of abundance
Old 13th March 2013, 16:04   #4322
Senior - BHPian

I completely concur with the discussion. Apps are a very peripheral point in deciding your gadget purchase. The specs and utility for YOU should be given priority.

I bought the Playbook based solely on its specs and price-per-feature proposition. Users would remember that OS 1 was nothing to write home about. Except if you had a BB phone and Bridge was a cool thing to show off. Till then my tablet was more of a games+media player.

OS 2 changed everything. Not only did it make the PB even more valuable for a BB phone user, it allowed one to side-load Android apps officially. I know iPad users who silently cringe for having paid thrice what I paid for Playbook for essentially 90% same features except for the perceived status and laundry list of apps (where many good ones are paid BTW).

Android and iPhone are great devices but most people do not understand their REAL utility. Android is good is you are open to modding your phone and would like to have a complete control over each software related aspect. iPhone - I have never bought/used because I never understood the hype or the perceived premium-ness attached to it. The only time I checked it out was when Aircel was giving the 3GS for 10k. And I found the specs great - except that you had to be in 2009 to call them so!

Coming to their main bone of contention - the number of apps they boast. Ask yourself frankly - how many apps do you actually use? After the initial euphoria dies down, you end up either deleting 80% of those or they keep sitting idle and eat up memory. On the contrary, WP and BB have the essential things deeply integrated in the OS and that takes care of most of the app-business. You wont end up wasting time in fiddling between multiple apps and also enjoy an amazing battery life. Integration with the OS also means you aren't permitting 3rd-party apps to fiddle around with the settings, privacy and other aspects. I guess this leads to a more stable phone too?
Old 13th March 2013, 16:47   #4323
BHPian

Add me to this list. I'm on my 3rd BB in 3 years, Bought a PB 6 months back. I hardly use my iPad anymore. My only crib is that i've not been very successful in sideloading since i don't have a Play account. To create a Google Play account i need to do so on an android device before i can sigh in on a computer. Now me and my wife both use BB's so haven't got an opportunity to create a Play account. Anyway around this guys?
Old 13th March 2013, 17:11   #4324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Add me to this list. I'm on my 3rd BB in 3 years, Bought a PB 6 months back. I hardly use my iPad anymore. My only crib is that i've not been very successful in sideloading since i don't have a Play account. To create a Google Play account i need to do so on an android device before i can sigh in on a computer. Now me and my wife both use BB's so haven't got an opportunity to create a Play account. Anyway around this guys?
http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook...-android-apps/

try this site - this is where I get Android apps from before they are ported to BlackBerry World, for example Kindle

Last edited by StarScream : 13th March 2013 at 17:20.
Old 13th March 2013, 17:22   #4325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You DONT need a play store account for side load. It a completely independent process. Search 4-5 pages back and someone has posted the detailed procedure. Basically you just need a PC software called DDPB and BAR files to be loaded on your PB.
Old 13th March 2013, 20:03   #4326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You DONT need a play store account for side load. It a completely independent process. Search 4-5 pages back and someone has posted the detailed procedure. Basically you just need a PC software called DDPB and BAR files to be loaded on your PB.
Yes but sometimes the APK or BAR files are not available for download elsewhere, and so to download the APK file from the play store i would need a Play Store account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook...-android-apps/

try this site - this is where I get Android apps from before they are ported to BlackBerry World, for example Kindle

Thanks for the link, will try it.

Did i mention i'm thinking of picking up another playbook its so convenient for me.
Old 13th March 2013, 20:44   #4327
BHPian

Quote:
Yes but sometimes the APK or BAR files are not available for download elsewhere, and so to download the APK file from the play store i would need a Play Store account.
If you are planning on converting .apk files to .bar files which are not already available on various sites then don't take the pain.

The reason is that not all .apk files are compatible on the PB when converted to .bar. Also nearly all apps that work have already been converted.

There are plenty of apps available out there. If you want to know where to download apps from , PM me
Old 13th March 2013, 21:50   #4328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UNless something has changed, you cannot download APK files off the Play Store AFAIK. Play Store 'pushes' the app to your linked Android device (phone or tablet).

If you plan to download APK files, you're better off doing a Google search and get them from many other available sites.

But in any case, BAR files are already available aplenty. Most probably you wouldn't need to convert from APK.
Quote:
Did i mention i'm thinking of picking up another playbook its so convenient for me.
Is Playbook even officially available now? I did see some deals a couple of weeks back but mostly from sites like Junglee etc.
Old 14th March 2013, 10:11   #4329
BHPian

Last seen on snapdeal a month back, it now says sold out.

Tradus does seem to have it in stock. But i'm still undecided.
Old 16th March 2013, 13:12   #4330
vdi
BHPian

Friends,

My friend recently brought a BB9320 and the fonts seems to a bit blurred as it is not clear. Can I fix this by doing something in the handset or the service centre will be able to correct this?

Rajesh
Old 16th March 2013, 13:17   #4331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Is Playbook even officially available now? I did see some deals a couple of weeks back but mostly from sites like Junglee etc.
yes it is available,64 GB for 13990/- left over with 10 nos
Old 16th March 2013, 17:43   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Available where ?? do share the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
yes it is available,64 GB for 13990/- left over with 10 nos

EDIT Thanks for the information. I am however still a bit lost as in whether this Telezone is a shop in B'lore or am I missing something here, especially w.r.t. the bit about 'shipping all over India'.

Last edited by khoj : 16th March 2013 at 18:07.
Old 16th March 2013, 17:52   #4333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Available where ?? do share the site.
available at my stores Telezone,can drop in or can be delivered across the country
Old 16th March 2013, 19:06   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Found this when looking around for the play book

http://www.emirates247.com/business/...03-16-1.498750
Old 21st March 2013, 16:35   #4335
Distinguished - BHPian

From the last 3-4 days, I am seeing a weird issue in my phone (9810).

Even when there is no unread email and email icon shows on the top of the screen when iam in any other application other than the email, homescreen and camera.

I rebooted but, unread email icon still shows up on top when iam in an app. I checked the messages icon and even there it doesnt show up.

What could be causing this? Remedy?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks