Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 18:56   #421
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine in US is a die hard blackberry fan. Naturally he bought storm as soon as it came out. Now he is very unhappy, and says that the touch screen etc., of storm is not good, and he was happier with older phones
Old 28th February 2009, 02:10   #422
Senior - BHPian

[quote=AGP;1192122]Thanks for clarifying this and voyla!!! the deal is stuck at 20K !!!!
That guy said that he bought that from Canada and there due to heavy taxes ppl. buy without bill and warranty. He also said that it is not used till now and unlocked....I am going to see that tomorrow...

I have simple vodafone postpaid corporate connection. Now If i have to check whether the set is PIN locked or not, I have to first activate BIS on the sim without having BB!!!!!! Now it is risky proposition. If the phone is PIN locked my BIS activation on sim will be a waste

If it is PIN locked, it is so that I can't be able to use BIS forever?? or is there any remedy?

One more question that, how to check that the set is used for some hrs. or days or weeks???

Thanks a lot in advance...

[quote=quickdraw;1191924]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post

To check if a device is not PIN locked you have to activate BIS on your SIM and when you pop the sim in that phone you have to register the PIN. Go to Menu > Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Tables then press the BB button and select "Register Now" if you sucessfully get a EMAIL from the BIS server then you are clear to go.

On a bold check if both the speakers are working properly, the outside bezel has a tendency to fade and also check the rear battery door if it has any play. The Bold is the best built BB ever so I dont think you will have too many problems. Do check if the MMC door is fine as well.
Use good judgement my friend. Tell him about the PIN situation and ask him if he was using it did he get it released. If he says he doesnt know then tell him that the deal is on the terms that the set is not pin locked. And I doubt someone you know will try and con you. Its usually the dealers who indulge in such antics. If the device is PIN locked there is nothing you can do EVER! Unless you can contact the original owner and ask him to request the network to release the pin. And there is no way of checking the usage of the phone. The biggest sign is the trackball. The whiter it is the lesser its been used

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Your advise put me also into risk now. I have used the same handset with airtel for the BB service. Although phone is unlocked, I hav no clue about the PIN status. Unless I check with the new service provider, I may not know what is my situation. To make things worst, vodafone does not charge pro-rata, even to test if my phone works with vodafone I need to pay 899/-.
Shaju dont worry as you were a Airtel customer when your PIN was on Airtel's BIS you are in the clear. Its only when you buy from unknown sources you have to be careful. Vodafone automatically releases the PIN as soon as BIS is discontinued on a SIM. I am sure Airtel does the same. You know what BIS is, whats there to test or not test. Just get it active and get berrying man. I dreamt last night about a Bold went to the dealer today he had one I am contemplating dumping the iPhone the Bold is Oh so much classier. But have to consider the monthly expense, its like a Car without fuel man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
A friend of mine in US is a die hard blackberry fan. Naturally he bought storm as soon as it came out. Now he is very unhappy, and says that the touch screen etc., of storm is not good, and he was happier with older phones
Die hard berry fans were disappointed by the Storm its the shortcoming of the touchscreen tech and not the device, we are used to blaze across KB's of our berries and now the storm comes along and we get disappointed. You have to keep in mind its tageted more as a multimedia/teenageish use then traditional BB use.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:55   #423
BHPian

Ah, the joys of receiving my first email on my BB :-) , i was chuffed to bits.I cant believe i can settle down on T-bhp without caring to refresh my in-box all the time.

As per settings , i actually followed Gmail's own settings guide online on how to enable personal mobile devices.This Worked like a treat

The service books that i received from Airtel didn't work for some reason.I had gmail account showing up on main screen but wasnt recieving any mails.

just a word of warning to new users like me. Airtel Customer asks me to call him once the BB services are activated so that the settings can be explained and sent over. During my convo , the guy asked me for the gmail account and it password even!!.YOU DO NOT NEED TO GIVE HIM REGULAR MAIL ACCOUNT DETAILS and passwords. Just get your blackberry mail server account ready,ask for these, log into it yourself and setup the other accounts.

Edit: I'm off for a coffee now that i have BB , lol

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 3rd March 2009 at 14:58.
Old 3rd March 2009, 15:19   #424
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy the new feeling ! If you receive less than 10 emails a day, you will remain happy. If you need to read and respond to over 50 emails a day, you might feel tired and exhausted. And remember, your boss can track you anytime of the day, because he knows emails are directly delivered to you in real-time. So no more excuses or stories not to keep commitments ! Overall its a great feeling owning a BB regardless of the model. Almost 99% of the time, you get addicted to it and would not want to move to some other handset.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:13   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP
That guy said that he bought that from Canada and there due to heavy taxes ppl. buy without bill and warranty. He also said that it is not used till now and unlocked....I am going to see that tomorrow...
Well true and false. Brand new Bolds are overpriced ($600 range) if purchased without a contract.
The way people get them is if someone sells one privately. There's a very small gray market for phones here. Even the private sale phones are mostly phones sold by cell companies as hardware upgrades so essentially there's a bill somewhere.
Old 3rd March 2009, 18:21   #426
Senior - BHPian

I have sent an SMS to 111 for BB service from vodafone ( ACT BBEP) as my travel dates are clear now. Waiting for the activation. I am forced to use it for the whole month as there is no pro-rata charges for vodafone BB. I will cross check that again and update here.
Old 3rd March 2009, 20:28   #427
Senior - BHPian

My BB is active on Vodafone for the first time. Now I can start comparing the service to airtel with guts. Just the activation process alone has made me feel very happy. Here are the reasons. Airtel BB activation never happens on an SMS. You have to email them or visit the outlet yourself to place the request. Then the formality goes as a govt processing. I had to wait for 4 days to get the airtel BB. Vodafone request was sent at 6.20pm, same time as the previous post, and the service is ON around 8pm. Its so quick.

As expected, my handset PIN was locked with airtel. Vodafone BB support guy released it and I could create my new account with ease, all within 10 mts flat. No confusions, no long holding, no patience testing !! I browsed few mostly used sites and checked all my yahoo, google, hotmail and BB messengers. All are working perfect. Except the pro-rata charging missing, I find everything else is perfect. More updates will follow as I continue using it.
Old 4th March 2009, 03:35   #428
Senior - BHPian

Booya! I know shaju you will be happy to be back on the crack!

I am feeling ecastic. I got a Bold finally tonight iPhone for 2~3 weeks was like a prison. Oh the feeling I cannot explain!

But no BIS just yet. Will try to work out things over my TimeCapsule for now!
Old 4th March 2009, 04:09   #429
BHPian

anybody else experiencing Browser slowdowns when browsing content heavy websites like CricInfo ( Normal ) my BB Bold lags terribly when I am browsing these pages
Old 4th March 2009, 11:47   #430
BHPian

Guys, I have a relatively newbie question here about BB's

I can see most of you who use BlackBerry's swear by them and wouldn't dream of switching. But I'm a bit confused (and probably ignorant) about what a BB gives you that another phone can't

About e mail, won't a regular Windows mobile phone with say Gmail configured in the inbuilt mail application give you a similar benifit. Agreed, you have to set it to download mails at set time intervals, but other than that what other advantage does a BB have?

The QWERTY keypad - won't an E71 / E 63 / HTC do the same thing?

GPS - many phones now come with GPS.

Moreover, BB service is approx 800 - 1200 bucks a month, Idea GPRS in Pune is200 a month.

So what is it about a BB that makes it so very special? Any particular features I'm missing?
Old 4th March 2009, 12:33   #431
Senior - BHPian

First thing I can think of a BB is the 'class' and the 'business feel' that is attached to a RIM BB handset. The push email, encrypted server (now only RIM has that), messengers, gps and many other things that a BB highlights may not be exclusive anymore, because there are many phones in the market that could give equal services at a lower cost.

Over the years, RIM had never thought of launching handsets with camera, touch screen etc. but here we have all of it right now. In other words, its all to stay put in the market that gives a challenging competition every day. Considering the cost of BB services, one might find many other alternatives like normal gprs, Mobile Office, data cards etc.

There might be 100s of opinions or answers to your question. But personally, I cant find another handset which can meet all my needs as good as a BB. Until I find another, I will stick to it.
Old 4th March 2009, 12:39   #432
Distinguished - BHPian

How can I use Vodafone mobile connect for browsing on the blackberry?
I entered the APN as www and left username and password blank. These settings work on the iPhone but not on the BB pearl
Old 4th March 2009, 12:43   #433
Team-BHP Support

Are you using the BB browser, it will not work. Download Opera for BB and use it to browse internet.
Old 4th March 2009, 13:04   #434
Senior - BHPian

If Vodafone Mobile Connect is same as Airtel Mobile Office, browsing on the BB handset may not be possible at all (strictly information passed to me from the BB support guys). But you can connect the handset to a laptop and browse, it will work as a modem. Sorry if I am misguiding you with the information I received from the support team (as such they are a bunch of idiots who have no clue about the services !). Anything to be believed ? one has to test it and believe it !
Old 4th March 2009, 15:13   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
First thing I can think of a BB is the 'class' and the 'business feel' that .
Until I find another, I will stick to it.
Thanks Shaju,

So basically it's the 'feel good' factor that makes it so appealing right?

Most Viewed