Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 16:59   #436
BHPian

Problem again with GMaps

@quickdraw:

You might still remember fresh in your memory about me getting google maps to work on the 8830 cdma. Recently I upgraded to google maps latitude 3.x.xxx and again I am stuck with the same problem. Haven't done a hard reset yet. Will try that tonight and see. As of now, I waited for around 2-3 mins after opening BBMaps and after that opened GMaps. Usually it'll lock in few seconds (the older version 2.3.xx) The latest version doesn't lock at all. After 2-3 mins, it says GPS temporarily unavailable. Location under advanced options was ON, and BBMaps already open for 2 mins before opening Google Latitude Maps.
Old 5th March 2009, 10:16   #437
Senior - BHPian

cheaper unlimited plan from Airtel

Airtel now offers unlimited email & IM plan for Rs. 499 per month.

Tech2.com India > Airtel, RIM Announce New Service Plan > News on Telecom
Old 5th March 2009, 10:43   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Wow, just what the Doc ordered! Am I really reading this or am I dreaming?? AN unlimited BIS plan for just Rs 499 pm? Where's the catch?

*Sigh* When will Vodafone offer this?
Old 5th March 2009, 15:28   #439
Senior - BHPian

The catch is that it is limited to email and IRC/IM - not regular browsing. This would actually translate to a low bandwidth and data volume, and is *no different* from their Airtel Live (or is it Mobile Office?) plan which had the same for the same price.

The real deal, if you can swing it, is a Rs. 999 plan for unlimited browsing, email and the works.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:43   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The catch is that it is limited to email and IRC/IM - not regular browsing. This would actually translate to a low bandwidth and data volume, and is *no different* from their Airtel Live (or is it Mobile Office?) plan which had the same for the same price.

The real deal, if you can swing it, is a Rs. 999 plan for unlimited browsing, email and the works.
But DA, isn't that what BBs are supposed to be for? Push email and Messengers based on an unlimited data plan? And what difference will it make if I get low bandwidth - I am still connected 24x7 and mails are delivered to me in real time.

I dont see a real value for an individual user in Rs. 999 plan vs the existing Rs 1099/Rs 899 plan. After all, its just an additional cost over and above your regular calls, sms, roaming, taxes etc.

For me, the tipping point is really the Rs 499 kind of pricing. That would make me invest in a BB handset so that I can extract the maximum out of it.
Old 5th March 2009, 15:45   #441
Team-BHP Support

Slightly OT: "BIG NEWS HERE... RIM has OFFICIALLY announced the name of their upcoming application storefront and they've gone with... BlackBerry App World!" Read further BlackBerry App World is the Name of the RIM App Storefront | CrackBerry.com
Old 5th March 2009, 17:09   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff View Post
anybody else experiencing Browser slowdowns when browsing content heavy websites like CricInfo ( Normal ) my BB Bold lags terribly when I am browsing these pages
Yes the default browser doesnt like soggy burgers its more of a salad person. Go for opera and attain graphical glory! Try Bolt browser as well. I didn't have a chance to yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swale84 View Post
Guys, I have a relatively newbie question here about BB's

I can see most of you who use BlackBerry's swear by them and wouldn't dream of switching. But I'm a bit confused (and probably ignorant) about what a BB gives you that another phone can't

About e mail, won't a regular Windows mobile phone with say Gmail configured in the inbuilt mail application give you a similar benifit. Agreed, you have to set it to download mails at set time intervals, but other than that what other advantage does a BB have?

The QWERTY keypad - won't an E71 / E 63 / HTC do the same thing?

GPS - many phones now come with GPS.

Moreover, BB service is approx 800 - 1200 bucks a month, Idea GPRS in Pune is200 a month.

So what is it about a BB that makes it so very special? Any particular features I'm missing?
Its got the Crack!

Yes all the recent smart phones have almost same hardware feature set. To be honest I cant list why and what without starting a flame war. A BB with a BIS would be a gazillion times more easy to set up, use and live with then any other phone PERIOD.

Like Morpheous famously said

"Nobody can be told what the Matrix is, you have to find out for yourself"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
How can I use Vodafone mobile connect for browsing on the blackberry?
I entered the APN as www and left username and password blank. These settings work on the iPhone but not on the BB pearl
You have to use the "Wap" browser and not the default browser. If you dont see an icon for that then you are in bad luck because your device lacks service books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
@quickdraw:

You might still remember fresh in your memory about me getting google maps to work on the 8830 cdma. Recently I upgraded to google maps latitude 3.x.xxx and again I am stuck with the same problem. Haven't done a hard reset yet. Will try that tonight and see. As of now, I waited for around 2-3 mins after opening BBMaps and after that opened GMaps. Usually it'll lock in few seconds (the older version 2.3.xx) The latest version doesn't lock at all. After 2-3 mins, it says GPS temporarily unavailable. Location under advanced options was ON, and BBMaps already open for 2 mins before opening Google Latitude Maps.
Hi Deepak, guess the WE is giving you more issues. Can I ask are you running the latest firmware?

Honestly speaking the amount of time you keep BB Maps open doesnt matter, you should be in a clear area with a clear view to the sky so the phone can catch GPS signals. I can see you are a lot into maps and other GPS apps, you should invest in a GPS Puck which will be far superior the the in built GPS and you will NOT have similar problems with the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Just what the doc ordered! Yey, now Vodafone launch a all unlimited at 500 so we can rest in peace!

I wanted to put one thing out in the open, the Bold's built in speakers are miles ahead of any phone I've ever used! (Smartphones) is it just me or the crack talking?
Old 6th March 2009, 12:47   #443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
But DA, isn't that what BBs are supposed to be for? ...
I dont see a real value for an individual user in Rs. 999 plan ...
For me, the tipping point is really the Rs 499 kind of pricing. ...
You are quite right in expecting that price point - for accessing emails and IM in a secure way (the security is what differentiates BB service).

The essential difference that the full access plans make is allowing unlimited browsing (OK, whatever you can patiently do at that speed) with a BB. IMHO browsing on the BB (BB browser or Opera) is a much better experience than doing the same on WiMo or Symbian devices pound for pound. I have compared by using the same Airtel account/SIM card on BB 8700g, N82 and HTC Touch 3450, and BB came up trumps.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:31   #444
Senior - BHPian

And imagine the 8700g is right now the oldest device of Blackberry. And still its keeping up with recent iterations of rivals.

Its not just about browsing, the internet is a lot more then just websites. There is Push weather, GPS Maps, RSS Feeds (Viigo) and lot more that I used the berry for. I cant let it be crippled to email and IM.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:35   #445
AGP
BHPian

I got BOLD...!!!!!!!

Hi friends,

I am very glad to mention that I am now the proud owner of BB. This is my first BB and that too BOLd.what a feeling owning this.!! I can't express in words.I truly earned this and not purchased this.

I am exploring all the features of the phone.and will ask you expert guyes for any help.

thank you all and thank god.One of my life time wish has came through.!!!!

Cheers,

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2009 at 17:41. Reason: see note in post
Old 6th March 2009, 20:54   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
There is Push weather, GPS Maps, RSS Feeds (Viigo) and lot more that I used the berry for. I cant let it be crippled to email and IM.
If you are using Viigo, weather is already part of it. I like the personalisation part of Viigo. It runs on BB so smooth as butter on bread. I have removed most of the channels and kept only weather, news, exchange rates and sports which complete most user's needs. GPS I have never tried, because I dont have an external gadget, but I use google maps whenever I am on move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP View Post
I am now the proud owner of BB. This is my first BB and that too BOLd.what a feeling owning this.!!
Congratulations and welcome to this part of the forum ! Please share your experiences on subscription, handset features, ease of use etc. It will be helpful for many who search this thread.
Old 7th March 2009, 11:07   #447
Senior - BHPian

Today morning someone told me of Vodaphone starting blackberry plans from 250/- per month, if this is true, it would be an exciting price-point.

Anyone has concrete news on this?

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th March 2009 at 11:09.
Old 7th March 2009, 23:36   #448
Senior - BHPian

Good News !!!

Finally got the unlocked Curve 8900.
Box included Handset, charger, usb cable, leather pouch, cd and manual.

Guys,
How can i transfer my phonebook from E71?

I just called up Vodafone customer care and customer care representative told that they have 3 BB plans.
1) 249 Rs (browsing 1kb = 15 paisa)
2) 499 Rs (500kb free after that 1kb = 15 paisa)
3) 1099 Rs (unlimited)

Also got the information that All BB and Vodafone Mobile Connect plans are now Pro-rata basis.

Cheers..
Mugen_Power.
Old 7th March 2009, 23:39   #449
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

One more question.
How to check that PIN is unlocked?
If not what can i do in that situation?
Old 8th March 2009, 05:14   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Guys,

One more question.
How to check that PIN is unlocked?
If not what can i do in that situation?
First sync your phone to Outlook, then sync the outlook address book to the BB. Dont worry new handsets are rarely pin locked. Refer to earlier pages for other suggestions.

And congrats you're officially on crack!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks