Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2014, 22:46   #4606
BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
Same here , running on Z10 but had to upgrade the hardware from STL-100-1 to STL-100-3 due to couple of issues.
I thought the STL 100-3 was North America only.
Mine was replaced after issues within the first week too, got a 100-1 as a replacement (same as original) am facing the same slow charge issue on my phone now.
Time for another replacement?
Old 28th May 2014, 15:50   #4607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
I thought the STL 100-3 was North America only.
Mine was replaced after issues within the first week too, got a 100-1 as a replacement (same as original) am facing the same slow charge issue on my phone now.
Time for another replacement?
The phone was bought from Canada and got it replaced from there.I thought they will replace only the battery charger, but got the whole device replaced.
The charging issue is not bothering me much now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Touch on both is the same. With the Q, i just miss the 'back buttom'.
Try keeping your mobile network on 2G & 3G. I was told this saves the batter a bit more that leaving it on just 3G.
I am keeping it on 3G & 2G mode. This is i believe is a problem with all mobile devices.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:19   #4608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napo View Post
I am keeping it on 3G & 2G mode. This is i believe is a problem with all mobile devices.
For that matter keep it on 2G only and your battery life will improve on any 3G-capable phone. That is a network design and frequency band issue. The only place I've got fantastic battery life on 3G is Singapore - small place, which is saturated with 3G signals, I guess. Even 1,800 MhZ 2G networks such as Airtel's in Bombay will be worse in terms of connectivity and battery life compared with 900 MhZ networks (like Vodafone in Bombay I think).

Just upgraded from a Bold 9900 to a Z10 for 17k - awesome phone, awesome price. My phone takes about 3 hours to charge completely.
Old 29th May 2014, 17:29   #4609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Just upgraded from a Bold 9900 to a Z10 for 17k - awesome phone, awesome price.
Do you miss the QWERTY keypad? I have the Bold 9900 myself but contemplating on the Q10 or Q5 only because of the physical keypad since I email a lot.
Old 29th May 2014, 18:20   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Do you miss the QWERTY keypad? I have the Bold 9900 myself but contemplating on the Q10 or Q5 only because of the physical keypad since I email a lot.
I thought the same before taking the plunge. I have no regrets. Blackberry has done a great job with the virtual keyboard - I feel its better than the iPhone and as good as it can be without the feel of physical keys. The flick typing predictive text method is brilliant.

However for someone who types a lot the issue may be more with the shape of the phone. The Z10 is perhaps too thin and narrow for usual BlackBerry two-handed, thumb typing. The reason I say perhaps is because I maybe too new to the phone to have got completely comfortable with it. In the few days that I have had it I've largely used one hand - either the thumb or the index finger for typing. Perhaps a case that adds a bit more bulk will change that.

The long and short of it is, if typing is your primary use of the phone check out the BB10 phones for feel in hand before making a decision.
Old 16th June 2014, 21:53   #4611
BHPian

Bought a Z10 last week for approx. 17.5k from an authorized seller. One word - AWESOME!
The handset look and feel is solid while the navigation is butter smooth.

Has anyone been able to use india maps (including turn-by-turn navigation)? Has anyone yet bought Mireo DONT PANIC software?
Old 17th June 2014, 11:08   #4612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Has anyone been able to use india maps (including turn-by-turn navigation)? Has anyone yet bought Mireo DONT PANIC software?
Since you have bought from an authorised seller, I guess you are eligible for Official MapmyIndia Maps. You can download from Blackberry world.

After Long long time, Blackberry has finally updated its Blackberry Maps with India Support. Which is also good. Though not sure on voice navigation. Will check on that.
Old 17th June 2014, 21:40   #4613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Since you have bought from an authorised seller, I guess you are eligible for Official MapmyIndia Maps. You can download from Blackberry world.
Dont i need a code or something to activate my subscription?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
After Long long time, Blackberry has finally updated its Blackberry Maps with India Support. Which is also good. Though not sure on voice navigation. Will check on that.
Yup, i saw an update on my z10. Good to know they have included india maps. Will check it out too. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 18th June 2014, 20:04   #4614
BHPian

India maps now available on blackberry os10.
Attached Thumbnails
Blackberry Phones and Services in India-1403101722323.jpg  

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-1403101740688.jpg  

Old 18th June 2014, 20:43   #4615
BHPian

Still haven't got the maps update on either of my os10 devices. Q and Z10
Old 5th September 2014, 12:45   #4616
BHPian

Just For Your Information

History :
  • 16 Jan 2014 - Purchased Blackberry Z10 & became a very happy user.
  • 17 Jul 2014 - Phone went dead all of a sudden.
  • 18 Jul 2014 - Visited service center(Redington/Ensure Services) and submitted phone for service.
    After an analysis of the phone I was told that a replacement would be given in 10-15 days. 8 days is the normal SLA.
after numerous phone calls, email reminders, escalations with Area Manager,etc
  • 26 Aug 2014 - Finally got a replacement phone (after 39 days).
    Reason/s provided : Change in Vendor Practices; Blackberry not providing handsets in time; Scarcity of Z10s in the market; blah blah blah..
    Meanwhile, I logged a request for replacing battery as it was not holding charge.
  • 27 Aug 2014 - Found out that the Camera is not working on the new piece that was provided as replacement.
  • 28 Aug 2014 - Resubmitted phone for service. After an investigation, the service engineer mentioned that the camera was ok, but mother board might have a problem.
    However a new request could not be logged for the handset, since the request for battery was open...... ??
  • 05 Sep 2014 (today) - Finally the battery arrives at the Service Center(after 10 days of logging request) & a new request for the handset is logged.

The end user(me) is without his business phone for 49 days (till 05 Sep 2014).
& it chills my bone to imagine if it takes another 39 days to get a replacement (a handset which might or might not work). Fingers Crossed.

It could be a pass the buck game between Blackberry & Redington(Ensure Services India), but the End Customer is finally affected.

List of Inefficiencies
  1. The replacement piece provided for Z10 is a Curve. ??
    Incompatibility. Z10 users do not need the special Blackberry plans. Curve works only on Blackberry plans.
    Common Sense : An Z10 user cannot use a Curve for his day to day activities.
    There should be replacements that are similar. Not any such available device.
  2. Work Order cannot be placed for the handset if a Work Order exists for an accessory ??
    This might make sense if the accessory is being serviced/replaced in 1/2 days.
    Not applicable when the Service Center takes 10 days to replace a Battery.
  3. Stock of Batteries/Handsets is not being maintained at Regional Service Centers ??
    This just prolongs the cycle time given that the shipment of battery takes 10 days. Phone 39 days.
    Though not in huge quantities, a bare minimum inventory needs to be maintained for efficient service.
  4. Replacement Handsets have not been checked before issuing to customer ?!?
    The replacement handset came with a non working Camera.
    The kind of quality checks currently in place should be questioned.
Cheers,
Another Blackberry I D I O T !

Oh Yeah - after trying several phones(including a powerful Xiaomi) in the last 49 days, I still want the Z10.

Last edited by DieselDon : 5th September 2014 at 12:47.
Old 8th September 2014, 00:39   #4617
BHPian

Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Dear All, I am using a 9220 after a exhausted 9320, I wanted the cheapest blackberry for office use

While I am very happy with the 9220, and so much that, should I have to change, I will buy the cheapest version of blackberry once again, no replacement to the way it handles mails

Now the problem is that, lately I am facing battery issues and auto shut down, the phone is barely a year old, and no drops or water exposure

Power save mode is set at 10%

I am at loss, what could be the reason, battery can't go weak just in a year

Please suggest

Sent from my iPad using Team-BHP
Old 10th September 2014, 13:25   #4618
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam sure all of you know that Blackberry Passport is getting launched on Sep 24th, 2014

How many of you are aware of its specs and excited about this "Super Phone" from Blackberry and will be buying it?

Iam excited about it's launch and have decided will be my next phone for sure
Old 10th September 2014, 14:14   #4619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
and have decided will be my next phone for sure
I looked up the internet and the phone appears quite 'flat'. It'll be interesting to see how can numbers be input in the phone. The physical keyboard seems is rumored to be touch sensitive as well. With Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor, 3GB of RAM and 450+ppi, the specs seem to be quite impressive. Lets see how much would this cost in India.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:18   #4620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
I looked up the internet and the phone appears quite 'flat'. It'll be interesting to see how can numbers be input in the phone. The physical keyboard seems is rumored to be touch sensitive as well. With Qualcomm Snapdragon quad-core processor, 3GB of RAM and 450+ppi, the specs seem to be quite impressive. Lets see how much would this cost in India.
It's hardware specs are eye-popping for sure.

Keyboard is first ever in mobile industry that is touch + type and battery size (3150mh) is also to die for apart from the unique shape of the phone ( its a love it or hate it feel with majority falling in the love it segment)

Iam guessing the pricing will be around 40K. Anything more they are in trouble

Most Viewed