Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 16:42   #4756
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
After having used the BB for 6 years and then switched to Android for 3 years, I am finally back to the BB world! Bought the Z10 and wow what an experience as compared to the android. The Z10 is so well crafted and functions as it should. Email is the prime reason which made me come back to BB. More experiences as I continue to use the device...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I bought a Blackberry Passport in US and used it in USA for more than 8 months and then sold it here in India and moved to IPhone 6+

I must confess that Passport is a brilliant phone and just because of a few unavailable apps and company stopped supporting emails I had to move out of BB ecosystem which I was part of for more than a decade
Interesting views. I have a similar dilemma. I've used a Z10 for about 2 years and loved it. I love the hub, I love the keyboard, I love the ability to use Android apps (via Snap) - I have Instagram, Pebble watch app, VW service app, Team-BHP to name a few. People complain about the app gap but the only ones I've had trouble using are those that need Google Play services.

Now my issue is, it'll soon be time to change the phone and now that BB has gone Android, I don't want to buy a BB10 phone. I'm not sure I particularly like Android either. So that leaves the usurious iPhone. But apart from the price, I don't like the iPhone 6/6s shape (too slippery and thin) and I don't like the IOS keyboard. So I'm kinda stuck.

So in a devil and the deep sea situation, which is better a BB Android or an iPhone?
Old 19th November 2015, 17:04   #4757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
in a devil and the deep sea situation, which is better a BB Android or an iPhone?
I am saying things which I never thought I would say....

During my BB days, I used to dislike both OS and used to find faults. But, after using the iphone 6+ for about 2+ months I am beginning to like iOS, its smooth, fluid and extremely fast. Never had to reboot my phone even once in 2 months

A drawback of large app ecosystem is there are updates literally everyday and imagine updating 200mb at an average everyday is bit of a pain and mandates you to be in a wifi zone or your datapack will be consumed in a jiffy

Like you I had similar complaints on grip, when I got my gold iphone it felt slippery and was uncomfortable holding it. I got a INR 150 transparent cover ( Gaffar Market in your city) and this resolved the problem. Now there is a solid grip to phone and whole phone is visible to people incase you want to flaunt

Trivia: In news today, Apple crosses $1 Billion in sales in India and growing 35% QoQ, imagine in such market conditions what chances poor blackberry has?

To cut a long story short, i would recommend you to get the iPhone....

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th November 2015 at 19:11. Reason: corrected typo
Old 19th November 2015, 17:20   #4758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am saying things which I never thought I would say....

During my BB days, I used to dislike both OS and used to find faults. But, after using the iphone 6+ for about 2+ months I am beginning to like iOS, its smooth, fluid and extremely fast. Never had to reboot my phone even once in 2 months

A drawback of large app ecosystem is there are updates literally everyday and imagine updating 200mb at an average everyday is bit of a pain and mandates you to be in a wifi zone or your datapack will be consumed in a jiffy

Like you I had similar complaints on grip, when I got my gold iphone it felt slippery and was uncomfortable holding it. I got a INR 150 transparent cover ( Gaffer Market in your city) and this resolved the problem. Now there is a solid grip to phone and whole phone is visible to people incase you want to flaunt

Trivia: In news today, Apple crosses $1 Billion in sales in India and growing 35% QoQ, imagine in such market conditions what chances poor blackberry has?

To cut a long story short, i would recommend you to get the iPhone....
sigh....thanks. I balk at spending that kind of money on a phone. Am I overstating the keyboard comparison as well?

And its Gaffar market not Gaffer
Old 19th November 2015, 18:06   #4759
BHPian

Quote:
Am I overstating the keyboard comparison as well?

Being a former Z10 user and now an iPhone 6 user, I will have to agree that the iOS keyboard is not as good as the Blackberry keyboard, it worked flawlessly and adapted to my typing style very well.

But the iPhone keyboard is not that bad, and you will get used to it soon enough. Also, the UI of iOS is very good and user friendly, so I would advise you to move to iOS.

You may get some good deals on iPhone 6 now that it has a successor.
Old 19th November 2015, 19:09   #4760
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Being a former Z10 user and now an iPhone 6 user, I will have to agree that the iOS keyboard is not as good as the Blackberry keyboard, it worked flawlessly and adapted to my typing style very well.But the iPhone keyboard is not that bad, and you will get used to it soon enough. Also, the UI of iOS is very good and user friendly, so I would advise you to move to iOS.
+1. I too have used Z10 extensively (2 years) and loved that phone. One thing is for sure, its hard to beat blackberry's keyboard and push email

2 things that Iam not happy with IOS :

1. Keyboard ( But, as you said, its not that bad and with time you get used to it)

2. Emails ( I work maximum on emails with 100-200 per day so iphone is not really that great on emails. Each time i visit my office email section and then it downloads the emails-Miss the push notification of BB)

Other than above, there is nothing to complain about iphone

It's actually a sexy phone ( colorful and very fashionable)

Quote:
sigh....thanks. I balk at spending that kind of money on a phone. Am I overstating the keyboard comparison as well?
If you dont want to spend that kind of money then you can look at used ones and also 6 is now with some deals

Happy Shopping

Quote:
And its Gaffar market not Gaffer
Sorry that was a typo. my home in Delhi is close to this market and whenever iam there, i buy lot of accessories
Old 19th November 2015, 19:25   #4761
BHPian

I recently moved from 9720 to Passport, gem of a device, brilliant chassis and a rev free 3GB RAM. Not to forget the brilliant FE aka Battery Back-Up (best of any smart phones that I have ever used)
Old 19th November 2015, 20:02   #4762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
Being a former Z10 user and now an iPhone 6 user, I will have to agree that the iOS keyboard is not as good as the Blackberry keyboard, it worked flawlessly and adapted to my typing style very well.

But the iPhone keyboard is not that bad, and you will get used to it soon enough. Also, the UI of iOS is very good and user friendly, so I would advise you to move to iOS.

You may get some good deals on iPhone 6 now that it has a successor.
Thanks, I have considered the iPhone 6 but the version I need is still 50k plus i.e. 64gb.

To be sure, money isn't the problem, the concept is!

Quote:

2. Emails ( I work maximum on emails with 100-200 per day so iphone is not really that great on emails. Each time i visit my office email section and then it downloads the emails-Miss the push notification of BB)
I don't get this, iPhone doesn't do push email? Email and therefore typing is essential to me.
Old 19th November 2015, 20:11   #4763
Team-BHP Support

@Starscream: You really should do a demo before deciding, if it's possible to borrow an iPhone in your family/friends for a while. There's really no substitute to tactile typing feedback and NO PHONE will ever come close to matching a Blackberry on that front. Everyone who has switched away from a BB will candidly admit they compromised a bit on that point.

Also, some limitations can be really annoying if it's an important feature to you. I'll give you an example: I was ready to switch from Android to Windows Phone, and guess what the deal-breaker was? Lack of a dedicated number row on the keyboard and no way to tweak/sub it with something else! We all have our requirements (call them quirks, if you will), and I detest having to switch screens everytime I want to type a number or punctuation mark.

It's not about the money, but once you buy something (esp. an expensive iDevice) and it doesn't meet your requirements, it gets doubly annoying.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th November 2015 at 20:12.
Old 20th November 2015, 08:24   #4764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't get this, iPhone doesn't do push email? Email and therefore typing is essential to me.
I meant the push email system of Blackberry has not been replicated by any phone maker till date. Emails are received like a text message. Instantaneous !!!

Whereas, iPhone also has a push system but, not anything like the blackberry. It downloads emails in intervals of e.g : 5 mins which i think is the earliest

Some emails are downloaded but, for some i need to go to email and then mails start downloading. It's not a deal breaker but, a minor irritant

Another point to ponder/to clarify. When meetings are rescheduled BB used to seamlessly update the calendar and I heard from other iphone users (prior to migrating to one) that iphone does not recognize updated meetings and this was a cause of concern when i was buying the phone.

But, I didn't face any such issues, my calendar gets updated seamlessly and i am pretty happy with it as my day is normally packed with meetings and many of which keep moving once in a while

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th November 2015 at 08:26.
Old 20th November 2015, 09:18   #4765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I meant the push email system of Blackberry has not been replicated by any phone maker till date. Emails are received like a text message. Instantaneous !!!

Whereas, iPhone also has a push system but, not anything like the blackberry. It downloads emails in intervals of e.g : 5 mins which i think is the earliest
Ok, now I get it. Does anyone know if Android is similar to iPhone in this respect i.e. push email, or is it like a Blackberry?

Separately, in my melancholy over this decision, I happened to check for news on the BB Priv and came across two recent usage-based reviews that were very positive and also had some nice things to say about BB10:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11...like_a_keeper/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews...y-priv-review/
Old 20th November 2015, 09:33   #4766
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, now I get it. Does anyone know if Android is similar to iPhone in this respect i.e. push email, or is it like a Blackberry?

Separately, in my melancholy over this decision, I happened to check for news on the BB Priv and came across two recent usage-based reviews that were very positive and also had some nice things to say about BB10:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11...like_a_keeper/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews...y-priv-review/
Android has push messaging for GMail and now there's a new Outlook app too. You'll be happy with Android.. skip the iCrap
Old 20th November 2015, 16:05   #4767
Team-BHP Support

I use Touchdown for ActiveSync on Android (Samsung's ActiveSync client was crap, and stock Android post Lollipop handles everything via the crappier GMail app now).

Touchdown is great, Push email works like a charm (also has plenty of scheduling options for the battery conscious) and no hassles with updating calendar/tasks/notes. Syncs perfectly with my Outlook account.
Old 20th November 2015, 16:18   #4768
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Some emails are downloaded but, for some i need to go to email and then mails start downloading. It's not a deal breaker but, a minor irritant

Another point to ponder/to clarify. When meetings are rescheduled BB used to seamlessly update the calendar and I heard from other iphone users (prior to migrating to one) that iphone does not recognize updated meetings and this was a cause of concern when i was buying the phone.

But, I didn't face any such issues, my calendar gets updated seamlessly and i am pretty happy with it as my day is normally packed with meetings and many of which keep moving once in a while
iphone has push email, as and when you get a email on server it will be pushed to your device. Your server needs to support it and iphone needs to be configured for push email. It works fine in my iphone as well as ipad. The 5mins interval you are talking about is fetch email, where the phone checks for email every 5mis (or any interval set by you) on the server.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 20th November 2015 at 16:19.
Old 21st November 2015, 09:45   #4769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
iphone has push email, as and when you get a email on server it will be pushed to your device. Your server needs to support it and iphone needs to be configured for push email. It works fine in my iphone as well as ipad. The 5mins interval you are talking about is fetch email, where the phone checks for email every 5mis (or any interval set by you) on the server.
I know that iPhone has push email as I have 4 email accounts ( 2 official and 2 personal) configured on my iphone. However, the emails don't reach as fast as a blackberry (as a comparison)
Old 21st November 2015, 10:24   #4770
BHPian

Iphones dont support push for google based mail services. Ive been using the gmail app for my personal and college google mail.

Most Viewed