Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 10:28   #4771
Senior - BHPian

Re: Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I know that iPhone has push email as I have 4 email accounts ( 2 official and 2 personal) configured on my iphone. However, the emails don't reach as fast as a blackberry (as a comparison)
I am not sure what do you mean by fast but i just checked from my laptop and as soon as i click on send within 2-3 secs there is a notification on the phone. AFAIK all notifications on iphone works the same way, ie pushed from apple servers. A email is pushed to the phone same way a whats app message notification would. Only the corresponding app and format will be different. When i used to use gmail app on my iphone the mails always appeared first on phone then on gmail . There wasn't massive delay but it always showed first on phone. I am not using gmail now on iphone so not sure. If there is delay in email, it would be from the email servers. In blackberry's case i think mails are routed through their server so that delay will not be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Iphones dont support push for google based mail services. Ive been using the gmail app for my personal and college google mail.
I have used it extensively till one year back and mails were always pushed to the phone first and as i said earlier than gmail web.

IIRC If you use the stock email app from iphone then push option will not be there for gmail. But if you use gmail app then emails will be always pushed to phone as soon as you get them. You have set the notifications for gmail app in settings.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 21st November 2015 at 10:34.
Old 21st November 2015, 13:53   #4772
Team-BHP Support

NOTE: I had this conversation with a mobile email techie a couple years ago so my comment may be redundant with recent tech advances.

According to him, Blackberry uses real push on its email service via its dedicated servers for the final server-to-device delivery step (BES for Enterprise email), while most other OSes use what he called an aggressive pull/fetch algorithm, even if the feature was called 'Push' on the device/OS itself. This effectively means the device is constantly polling (in Push mode) the email server for updates, instead of relying on the server to push the email out for delivery. It may be impossible to tell the difference based simply on delivery times alone, as aggressive polling can sometimes be as fast as push based on network connectivity/availability. Needless to mention, this mode was (and continues to be) a battery hogger (personal experience on Android, no first hand experience on iDevices), esp. if the device is not on a strong/stable data connection.

Again, the info may be redundant or totally incorrect, so make what you will of it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st November 2015 at 14:06.
Old 21st November 2015, 14:35   #4773
BHPian

Blackberry Phones and Services in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post

IIRC If you use the stock email app from iphone then push option will not be there for gmail. But if you use gmail app then emails will be always pushed to phone as soon as you get them. You have set the notifications for gmail app in settings.

That is exactly what i meant, seems i skipped typing that part.
The stock mail service does not support push for gmail. But, the gmail app is a little slow, reloads everytime, and also keeps crashing for me,on both,my stock ipad air on ios 9.1 and my jailbroken iphone 6.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 21st November 2015 at 14:38.
Old 21st November 2015, 16:57   #4774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
That is exactly what i meant, seems i skipped typing that part.
The stock mail service does not support push for gmail. But, the gmail app is a little slow, reloads everytime, and also keeps crashing for me,on both,my stock ipad air on ios 9.1 and my jailbroken iphone 6.
Never had any problem with gmail app on iphone and ipad. works perfectly fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
NOTE: I had this conversation with a mobile email techie a couple years ago so my comment may be redundant with recent tech advances.

According to him, Blackberry uses real push on its email service via its dedicated servers for the final server-to-device delivery step (BES for Enterprise email), while most other OSes use what he called an aggressive pull/fetch algorithm, even if the feature was called 'Push' on the device/OS itself. This effectively means the device is constantly polling (in Push mode) the email server for updates, instead of relying on the server to push the email out for delivery. It may be impossible to tell the difference based simply on delivery times alone, as aggressive polling can sometimes be as fast as push based on network connectivity/availability. Needless to mention, this mode was (and continues to be) a battery hogger (personal experience on Android, no first hand experience on iDevices), esp. if the device is not on a strong/stable data connection.

Again, the info may be redundant or totally incorrect, so make what you will of it.
Android or Iphone, there is real push mail/notification. Without this instant messaging services will never work.

Android the mails or any notifications are pushed from the corresponding server itself. In iphone all notifications are pushed from apple servers.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 21st November 2015 at 17:00.
Old 21st November 2015, 20:50   #4775
Senior - BHPian

I've sort of decided - I'll wait for the Priv to be launched and maybe for the Mashmallow update. If problems flagged by some reviewers persist, I'll go for an iPhone plus. I saw a colleague's 6+ and liked the size and heft.
Old 12th January 2016, 09:59   #4776
BHPian

Have a Z10 100-3, an US version. I was going through online markets for an additional battery. Now I want to know whether the Z10 battery is a standard type for all phone versions? As am sure all batteries being sold will be compatible with indian version which is 100- 1.
Old 13th February 2016, 09:44   #4777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Have a Z10 100-3, an US version. I was going through online markets for an additional battery. Now I want to know whether the Z10 battery is a standard type for all phone versions? As am sure all batteries being sold will be compatible with indian version which is 100- 1.
Edit: it works. Got a Rs 350 battery from ebay. Its giving good backup. Now with portable battery charger, I can just swap batteries and good to go.
Old 13th February 2016, 19:01   #4778
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for the same, can you share the ebay link

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Edit: it works. Got a Rs 350 battery from ebay. Its giving good backup. Now with portable battery charger, I can just swap batteries and good to go.
Old 14th February 2016, 15:17   #4779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I am looking for the same, can you share the ebay link
The listing of the same showing ended now. Seller was rehmetstore from mumbai . But there are lot of sellers, if you search LS1
Old 4th April 2016, 13:51   #4780
Senior - BHPian

Anyone here using the BB Priv?
Old 7th April 2016, 21:02   #4781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Just got myself a private today, Do you also use one?
Old 7th April 2016, 21:27   #4782
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes for a while now , I got in December when I was in Canada. Its the longest time since I have not gone back to iPhone , perhaps something to do with clean BB interface , in past I had to gift / sell my Samsung phones in less than a week.

Despite the gimmicks of keyboard , its hardly usable - front speaker grill fouls with fingers / thumb , wish they had recessed it at level of keyboard besides its top heavy with extended keyboard. I am not sure if this is in anyway different over the regular androids and will it be good idea for someone to spend extra cash over S7 edge.

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th April 2016 at 21:29.
Old 9th April 2016, 01:27   #4783
Senior - BHPian

Well, yes & no. Bought one the day it was launched but gave it to my Father who lost his BB Classic the same day and wanted a phone with a physical keyboard.

He hated the Android interface compared to the BB10 as he found it very cluttered but loved the crisp display. He has since migrating to the Priv stopped using the physical keyboard all together. Quite happy with the phone now, he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Old 9th April 2016, 02:02   #4784
BHPian

Blackberry will be launching two more Android phones this year.

Source: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...ear-ceo-823425
Old 9th April 2016, 09:18   #4785
Distinguished - BHPian

After over 10 years of loyal service, BlackBerry is no longer my primary work phone. I used to love those handsets for the amazing battery life and the sheer convenience for typing email and for calling.

My company no longer has a contract with them and had replaced all official handsets with Samsung or Apple devices. I got a Samsung J7 which isn't bad at all. Still, feels like the end of an era. RIP my faithful work companion!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks