Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2009, 09:43   #736
BANNED

Hi B&T,

Check this site out as well. Has some real cool accessories for most phones including the latest Blackberry phones whose accessories are not yet available in Heera Panna like silicon covers, desktop cradle & extended life batteries at pretty reasonable prices. I think they ship worldwide.

seidioonline.com

Viper
Old 17th April 2009, 12:00   #737
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Jaggu you really seem to detest BB's and you know that I love them.
Small correction, I dont detest "any gadget". But when people talk about one gadget as best and worlds apart, i debate

iam an iPhone fan (for now) but i dont claim it to be the best (different matter that i dont have any complains), i love win mob still i dont initiate the comparison to iPhone and BB. All are different breeds, some have good compromise where others have more specialized qualities.

But while discussing in an public forum i wouldnt want to misguide a person from spending big sums of money on gadgets, whereby they really wont be able to make use of the functionalities. Especially when there is an alternative.

Its like suggesting an accord 3.6 vtec to an old couple (read as 65+), who would drive on their own and travel 10 kms a week, when an Altis will make a better sense.

I have myself stopped ol man of the forum (an apple fan) from spending on the 3G since its launch, i know it is waste of money, when he already has a 2.5G ver with him. His usage/needs doesnt justify 30-36 grands.

In recent past 2 others (including my CEO and he loves iPhone), i have advised against buying the iPhone coz i know the money spent VS the needs is not justified in both the cases.

Apologize to BB fans here if i was sounding like a BB hater, i shall also refrain from any further "detest" posts.
Old 17th April 2009, 16:34   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick question. I am planning to upgrade .247 version OS on my BOLD tonight. As you all know due to summers the power is going off quite erratically, sometimes at odd times.

My question is what will happen if power goes off in the middle of upgradation of OS?????

Just because of this reason, i am researching which time it does not go for a couple of hours so it's safe to upgrade
Old 17th April 2009, 16:38   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A quick question. I am planning to upgrade .247 version OS on my BOLD tonight. As you all know due to summers the power is going off quite erratically, sometimes at odd times.

My question is what will happen if power goes off in the middle of upgradation of OS?????

Just because of this reason, i am researching which time it does not go for a couple of hours so it's safe to upgrade
Use a laptop if you have one.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:03   #740
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Use a laptop if you have one.
I have one but installed entire BB applications on my home computer. I dont want to redo the entire process
Old 17th April 2009, 17:26   #741
BHPian

Quote:
I have one but installed entire BB applications on my home computer. I dont want to redo the entire process
Well should be OK to reinstall without bricking the phone but I'd say take the pain and install it from the laptop.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:37   #742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Ideally ensure that you have a good power back up and battery is fully charged on the device side. If power conks in between you can land up with very awkward situations, but main thing is dont panic. Just redo the stuff once again and the DM should detect the phone. It might take lil longer than normal.

Major pain area of half upgrades will be detection of the device by the comp, if that happens things will get back to normal. Ive been through this with BB due to very stupid reasons!

If it doesnt, thats when fun starts. If so go to blackberry forums and search for options and everything else fails goto service center. Good thing i have noticed is these devices generally dont go into absolute brick mode.

My recommendation, use a laptop and ensure laptop is not in power saver mode and goes to stand by and stuff. Worth the pain of DM install on laptop.
Old 17th April 2009, 17:53   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for your opinions.

I will try to install the DM on my laptop and upgrade from there. Hope the laptop does not die on me in between that process
Old 18th April 2009, 16:10   #744
BHPian

Quote:

@Deepak : The 8830 died on you, want to sell it to me ?
You must be joking. That too a locked handset to Tata Indicom. My wife is planning to use just the phone. After shifting to the Storm, I saw the same email in both. What te difference! Really worth the upgrade. Except for no wi-fi.
Old 20th April 2009, 10:38   #745
BHPian

New query

When I go into Sounds/Profiles from the Main menu, Set Ringtones/Alerts, expand Messages menu, I can choose alerts for how the phone rings for each email account, PIN, MMS, SMS, etc. In that list, there is an item called "Level 1". Which already has a particular BB ringtone assigned to it. What is this Level 1?
Old 20th April 2009, 12:28   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

I upgraded the OS on my BOLD to .247 and the upgrade happened in 3 minutes flat

I reckon the 45mins to 1 hour was including downloading the exe file which is 112mb.

Immediate change i see that my battery power going down has reduced considerably. Need to check what other benefits it brings along.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:01   #747
Senior - BHPian

Lots of upgrading happening here ??!! Deepak is still fighting minute issues I think. Please post it here deepak, experts or die-hard BB users could throw some light on almost everything.

Anyone has used a BOLD for over 6 months ? I am just curious to know a user-experience. As the BB messenger is in good use, I might consider a QWERTY key very soon, only reason I am holding myself back is the comfort and sleekness of Pearl that has made me feel every other phone is a big brick !
Old 20th April 2009, 20:29   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
When I go into Sounds/Profiles from the Main menu, Set Ringtones/Alerts, expand Messages menu, I can choose alerts for how the phone rings for each email account, PIN, MMS, SMS, etc. In that list, there is an item called "Level 1". Which already has a particular BB ringtone assigned to it. What is this Level 1?
You can assign anytime of message as "Level 1" be it E-Mail/SMS/PIN messages. You can find it under Messaging > Options. Its actually to define what kind of message to treat as first priority when yiu unlock/unholster the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
You must be joking. That too a locked handset to Tata Indicom. My wife is planning to use just the phone. After shifting to the Storm, I saw the same email in both. What te difference! Really worth the upgrade. Except for no wi-fi.
I asked because AFAIK the 8830 is bricked, and hence would be of no use

Quote:
I upgraded the OS on my BOLD to .247 and the upgrade happened in 3 minutes flat

I reckon the 45mins to 1 hour was including downloading the exe file which is 112mb.

Immediate change i see that my battery power going down has reduced considerably. Need to check what other benefits it brings along.
Thats good news, are you noticing better signal reception as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Lots of upgrading happening here ??!! Deepak is still fighting minute issues I think. Please post it here deepak, experts or die-hard BB users could throw some light on almost everything.

Anyone has used a BOLD for over 6 months ? I am just curious to know a user-experience. As the BB messenger is in good use, I might consider a QWERTY key very soon, only reason I am holding myself back is the comfort and sleekness of Pearl that has made me feel every other phone is a big brick !
Hey Shaju nice to see you're happy with your new found friends on BB Messenger, I would advice you to go in for the Curve first. The QWERTY is ages better and you will forget your Pearl in no time. We all start from the pearl to graduate to other handsets.
Old 20th April 2009, 20:45   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats good news, are you noticing better signal reception as well?
Software upgrade improves the signal reception ? I never heard of such a thing. Are you serious ?

Quote:
Hey Shaju nice to see you're happy with your new found friends on BB Messenger, I would advice you to go in for the Curve first. The QWERTY is ages better and you will forget your Pearl in no time. We all start from the pearl to graduate to other handsets.
Its not new found friends buddy, I use BB messenger mainly to interact with my clients who are spread around US and Europe. Atleast they dont complain if they dont find me on Yahoo or Skype. So its like 24/7 access to my privacy !! I have used QWERTY key handsets before, I am sure its far superior to suretype stuff. My only worry is the flattened shape that has to be carefully handled. And the graduating part from Pearl to other handsets = I am not rich enough to change phones every 3 months
Old 20th April 2009, 21:11   #750
Senior - BHPian

@ Shaju : Yes it does improve reception. Its not about being rich or anything, if business demands something you spend on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks