Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 00:00   #91
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I have tried not only the above, but also filling just 1 line each of all these 3, leaving others empty etc.. Anyway guys in the US office is wondering how a BB service can function in India if a simple, business software like this is not permitted by the service provider ! If anyone is wondering what I am talking about, just check it out here Forex | Mobile Forex Trading | GTS Mobile Trading Platform. To use the software you need to have a demo (free) or live account for trading. cheers:

Last edited by shajufx : 7th October 2008 at 00:02.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:00   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
BB service cost an arm and leg when you travel overseas as Sam mentioned !! Question is, what are the choices a travelling Indian can think of ?
Hmm.... yes, I do recall, after i had been on a trip, and received a massive bill, I was told that Airtel charges a flat 6k p.a for every 12 months you wish to use BB outside India, but this is normally waived for corporate clients.

Other than that i dont remember any charges for using BB email or internet during the travel.

Phone (incoming and outgoing) and SMS charges are usurious. Rs. 50 for a local SMS when travelling; Rs. 45 per minute for a local call....... when I asked Singtel (when living in Singapore), they said that these are the rates 'advised' by the visiting country network. I asked whether anybody in Singtel had tried to 'negotiate' these rates with the visiting networks and ofcourse the response was a 'no'. Its 'you scratch my back and I will scratch yours' regime in roaming tariffs for mobile phones. Atleast now we have some transperancy in India-roaming tariffs; but the international ones are a huge rip-off.

When, oh when, will TRAI look into and rationalise international roaming tariffs?

Cheers,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Google Maps: Its a great tool and I just started using it 2 days back. Although an active GPS is not attached with the handset, google map shows you 90% accuracy in "your current spot" with a blue blinking dot. Presently google is doing it spotting the nearest network tower. I am waiting to get lost in some forests to get the real potential of this feature !
Hi,

I had subscribed to maps in my earlier company; but didnt find this feature; it refused to show any india maps at all.

Re getting lost in some forest, hope this happens soon (or within next 6 months); free maps usage is only for first 6 months; charges after that are unspecified.........

Cheers.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2008 at 00:23.
Old 7th October 2008, 00:21   #93
Team-BHP Support

BB subscription should have GPRS, and GPRS setting for Airtel is as i posted above. No need for any experiments on that, apart from a restart of the device.

Now since you have tried the same in the phone apps and still its not connecting, reasoning might be the network which might not be supporting such an apps connecting to its proprietary server. Or lack of a secured connection requirement, which again the network doesnt support. Last but not least, the speed of our network is not sufficient.

No it doesnt have anything to do with network locked hand sets, that just means your phone will work in Airtel network.

One last suggestion that comes to mind is reinstall the apps on to BB and then try the above setting and then restart

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2008 at 00:37.
Old 7th October 2008, 13:08   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
For Airtel bb, there is another number to call - i think it is 12111 or 12119 - and there is a dedicated bb customer service line running from Delhi. it is a good idea to ask for their team leader when calling the local call center.Cheers
The support number 12111 goes to billing information, not to BB service, and 12119 does not exist. BB service numbers are only 7070 and 9845907070 which connects you to Delhi call centre from anywhere.

As part of another desperate attempt to run my trading software, I called up BB support again. After wasting time explaining things, it got transfered to the supervisor lady. She didnt want me to waste her/my time, came to the point straightaway. "Sir, we have no technical expertise to guide you on this, I would advise you to visit our technical support centre at Bangalore on Bannerghata Main road. They know everything about settings and softwares". I was happy atleast she was frank enough to accept their limitations.

Now I realise its just a 1 minute guidance on the phone that is all what I require. If I need to visit their so-called 'expert' house on Bannerghatta road, it will take atleast 4 hours (up and down commuting and waiting etc.) of my time, around Rs.230 of Petrol, and a lot of high BP driving etc. all for an APN field entry (takes 30 seconds) on my handset What a great customer experience !!!
Old 7th October 2008, 14:54   #95
Team-BHP Support

One stupid doubt, is the Mobile office enabled along with BB plan, i read that you need to call and instruct Airtel to allow access for MO after BB activated in some cases, its a free service though, and one has to double check this while speaking to Airtel or they can charge for the same.

Settings sit under Options>TCP

Double check APN:airtelgprs.com
Username/password fields are blank

Switch off, some say remove battery also and then switch ON.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2008 at 15:01.
Old 7th October 2008, 15:02   #96
Senior - BHPian

There is no Mobile Office on my phone. According to the support guys, there is no possibility of running Mobile Office on a blackberry handset (RIM handsets not blackberry enabled other brands) ! So, when you mean its 'free', I am getting confused ! I dont know how true it is. Lot of things related to a blackberry is to be searched and found through google and other forums, sadly I hope its a condition only in India !
Old 7th October 2008, 15:16   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Blackberry package does not include MO (Mobile office)

I can confirm this. I had migrated to iPhone from BB. I was not able to surf or send receive emails. I had to activate Mobile office.

The fact that Airtel eventually was unable to disconnect my BB service and then charged me for BOTH MO and BB is another story.
Eventually I sent them an email and recieved the correct response very quickly. This changed my opinion about airtel BB service. Calling 7070 is a waste of time, just email them.

Of course eventually I lost my iPhone 2 weeks later and went back to BB. I then deactivated MO, but this time I simply sent them an email. MO was deactivated the next day.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:40   #98
Team-BHP Support

I got this doubt after reading through http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...use-india.html and hence posted.

As i understand, your app needs full fledged internet connectivity and for that you need to have MO aka airtelgprs.com set in your device and working. So Airtel has to activate at their end. Sam's post reaffirms the same. To experiment, if you dont mind one week charge, go ahead and activate MO and see.

Regarding the charges, since BB is a premium service MO can be given to you free of cost as a special request (maybe a scare of un-subscribing BB would help here again got this from the same forum).

I dont have much to say regarding airtel support guys, since they had told me many things are not possible in Win Mob phone and few days of research on internet, i could prove them wrong, even help few of my friends also. egs: The whole statement that MO and BB cannot be run together is nonsense, if you can access TCP settings in your handset. TCP settings decide if your device can access MO.

I think its worth the drive/rickshaw ride to Airtel main office, maybe after fixing an appointment.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2008 at 19:37.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:01   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Hmm.... yes, I do recall, after i had been on a trip, and received a massive bill, I was told that Airtel charges a flat 6k p.a for every 12 months you wish to use BB outside India, but this is normally waived for corporate clients.

Other than that i dont remember any charges for using BB email or internet during the travel.
Tell me about it - last year I was on vacation in Canada for three weeks and needed to be in touch with work. So I used email extensively and made a couple of long international calls. The total bill was 20k. Im on Vodafone.
Separately, my berry is indispensable to me - works very well and is fast for internet browsing.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:07   #100
Team-BHP Support

Am becoming obsessive compulsive with this thread, maybe i have a thing for airtel!! Hope others dont mind.

Another suggestion again, try "blackberry.net" for APN, user name password, blank. One more thread which talks about not able to use full fledged internet with BB, ie you have to disable BIS to use MO.

Post no 18 & 20, slightly old post though

http://www.blackberryforums.com/blac...use-india.html
Old 7th October 2008, 19:11   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
from blackberryforums
Airtel India Users,Those using non rim device, to browse for free, you do need to tell them to activate Mobile Office. This is free of cost for BIS unlimited plan. Donot call 121 but call BB support on 7070 and ask tell them that you cannot browse the internet with your plan and they will suggest you this option.
In fact I had asked them to cancel my BB Plan after which the BB retention team called me to find the reason for doing so. I told them that its too expensive to just get mail for 1099/month. So the guy said that he will activate Mobile office for free and now I can surf unlimited on my phone, together with my notebook.
Jaggu, thanks for your cooperation. BB customers in India are left to help each other, support guys just act stuborn on everything other than the BB browser and messengers.

Reason why I quoted above from the forum is; I have mailed bb.support for resolution of my issue at the earliest, or clearly asking them to cancel my subcription. Fingers crossed ! According to what I understand, all the third party softwares will run smooth on a Mobile Office plan, which is not part of BB service though. Lets see what the support guys have to say. I will update as soon as I get some response (within 24 hours as promised in the auto-reply).

Another doubt: If you are using Mobile Office and your messenger (yahoo or msn) is always ON, will it drain the battery too fast ? On the blackberry handset I dont find any issue with the battery even if Yahoo is ON 24 hours (offcourse its off when I am sitting on a PC).

Last edited by shajufx : 7th October 2008 at 19:18.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:35   #102
Team-BHP Support

I dont know about chat when its on BB service, since it might be working on Push technology for chat also.

On a regular MO connection chat application runs in background and does eat battery and band width, how much battery will depend on handset to handset. Airtel has chat app which works with Push SMS or something, and that am sure doesnt eat battery. In yahoo and msn you can choose to login to mob service and associate your number to your id on log off. I used to do this long back, discarded after it became a pain on personal life lol

But i dont think you have to worry about that, worst case scenario, once MO is also set up, you can manually switch from BIS service to MO, when you need to use your trading app. ie if you dont need both chat and trading app ON all the while.

I have a feeling that we have nailed the issue, now everything will depend on Airtels resolution. Do keep us posted.

ps: the first link i posted was by mistake and didnt point to the exact thread, i shall correct it

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th October 2008 at 19:37.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:59   #103
BHPian

Off lately i have been thinking (dreaming) of buying a BB phone. A little search here and there revealed that the only BB phone that has the features i want:
> Camera
> Bluetooth
> Wi-fi
> GPS
is BB BOLD which is 34990 on airtel

1. Is there any finance scheme available on BOLD in bangalore ?
2. My main reason for buying BB
> want to check personal e-mail
> Sync with office e-mail every 2-3hrs (i think we can use mobile office)
> click pics (i hope BB has a decent camera)
> browse internet

So basically i want a little bit of everything
Anyone can advice on my situation ?

Last edited by quadra : 7th October 2008 at 20:01.
Old 7th October 2008, 20:22   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
To experiment, if you dont mind one week charge, go ahead and activate MO and see.
Yes, I have send the activation request for Mobile Office Rs.399/- plan to 222, because its pro-rata basis. I will check and update once its active.

Quote:
Regarding the charges, since BB is a premium service MO can be given to you free of cost as a special request
No buddy, these guys do not seem to care even if I cut the BB service or even the airtel postpaid number itself (over 3 years sincere customer without a single late payment in the 36 months).

Quote:
The whole statement that MO and BB cannot be run together is nonsense
Yes you are 100% right. I called 121 and they said it can be done on request, but will be billed seperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
once MO is also set up, you can manually switch from BIS service to MO, when you need to use your trading app. ie if you dont need both chat and trading app ON all the while.
I need to run trading app on mobile only when I am away from the PC or while travelling, which means Messenger also will go along with it. That will be a conflict of MO and BIS, lets see who will bell the cat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
i have been thinking (dreaming) of buying a BB phone. A little search here and there revealed that the only BB phone that has the features i want:
> Camera
> Bluetooth
> Wi-fi
> GPS
is BB BOLD which is 34990 on airtel
Pearl costs only 25k and it has all the above, except GPS replaced by google maps. But you can attach a bluetooth GPS with Pearl for a lesser cost and activate GPS as I understand from the manual and forums.

Quote:
1. Is there any finance scheme available on BOLD in bangalore ?
Reliance is offering EMI options for blackberry handsets, though I dont find BOLD in their list yet !
Old 7th October 2008, 22:45   #105

Blackberry 8300 Curve

Dear Friends,

I use BB 8300 Curve and the best phone for any business user.

Its lot better than the latest BB-Bold (As bold has weak vibration)(used and gone back to curve).

Pls let me know if you are interested in upgrading your curve, pearl(8120) software. I will post OS 4.5 links.

My BB 8300 is running on OS 4.5 perfectly.

Regds, Kalyan.

Most Viewed