Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2009, 17:29   #1066
Senior - BHPian

ghpk, thats a process you might have to do almost every week for a smooth functioning of the handset itself, leave alone other BB outages and network issues. BB handsets are known for this battery pull out and its anyway part of your weekly routine. I do that almost twice a week. This depends on how heavy user you are !
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:46   #1067
BHPian

Hi,
Got the LCD replaced for 4K. Works like a charm now.
Old 4th July 2009, 00:41   #1068
BHPian

shajufx, i don't try to fix, unless it really broken.

da_motorHead, care to share the shop name where you got it cheap and fast.
Old 4th July 2009, 16:02   #1069
Senior - BHPian

ghpk, I dont know what you meant by "fix". I was not talking about the BB handset body. Battery pullout is done when the handset is frozen, do not respond to any circus, act like the screen is stuck etc. So its more of a software issue. Its exactly the same thing what you do with your laptop or desktop PC pressing the "RESTART".
Old 7th July 2009, 03:15   #1070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
ghpk, I dont know what you meant by "fix". I was not talking about the BB handset body. Battery pullout is done when the handset is frozen, do not respond to any circus, act like the screen is stuck etc. So its more of a software issue. Its exactly the same thing what you do with your laptop or desktop PC pressing the "RESTART".
Please check if you are running the latest Available OS for your operator, i think older OS versions were more prone to get battery Pull solutions.

I don't feel the need of battery pull for entire month, and i use it every hour and take a lots of SNAP from it.
Old 7th July 2009, 10:58   #1071
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys, I have a couple of totally n00b Qns. I am planning to upgrade from the N82 to a BB phone. But the primary needs aint really push mails etc. Just need a QWERTY phone, and I feel the BB has a huge snob value over a E71/E63.

1: How important is 3G in India. Considering the fact that licence auction et al is taking ages. Reason being is it worth paying 8-9k extra for a Bold, when the Javelin I feel is an awesome phone.

2: Is it really mandatory to take a BIS plan ? Cant I use it just like another GSM phone ? Primary requirements include "pocket internet" and GPS. No mails etc for the time being.

3: Univercell in Chennai is selling the Javelin 8900 for 23xxx INR. Will it be locked to any operator ? Or is it a generic phone ? Any other cheaper place where I can buy ? Ezone/Croma ?

Thanks
Old 7th July 2009, 11:24   #1072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Hi guys, I have a couple of totally n00b Qns. I am planning to upgrade from the N82 to a BB phone. But the primary needs aint really push mails etc. Just need a QWERTY phone, and I feel the BB has a huge snob value over a E71/E63.

1: How important is 3G in India. Considering the fact that licence auction et al is taking ages. Reason being is it worth paying 8-9k extra for a Bold, when the Javelin I feel is an awesome phone.

2: Is it really mandatory to take a BIS plan ? Cant I use it just like another GSM phone ? Primary requirements include "pocket internet" and GPS. No mails etc for the time being.

3: Univercell in Chennai is selling the Javelin 8900 for 23xxx INR. Will it be locked to any operator ? Or is it a generic phone ? Any other cheaper place where I can buy ? Ezone/Croma ?

Thanks
If your requirement is only a Qwerty Key Pad and not mails, then there is nothing to beat a N71! (or wait for N72)
UniverCell sells only Operator Locked BB's.
If it is only "Pocket Internet" and GPS, you can try a handset with Windows Mobile OS and Qwerty Key Pad.
BB without a BIS Plan will never be recommended by anybody in this forum.
Old 7th July 2009, 12:07   #1073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Please check if you are running the latest Available OS for your operator.
OS issues and upgrades were discussed much in detail many pages back here. So, its nothing to do with the OS version. However advanced version one uses, there are certain situations a phone can hang just like that. Depends on your kind of usage. If a desktop or laptop can freeze once a while, a phone can do that 10 times more. Although mine is a Pearl 8120, I have partners who are using bold and storm, when the phone cant handle multiple programmes running simultaneously, it hangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
If it is only "Pocket Internet" and GPS, you can try a handset with Windows Mobile OS and Qwerty Key Pad. BB without a BIS Plan will never be recommended by anybody in this forum.
Agree 100% here ! If the purpose is only the snob value, then it makes sense. For your practical usage, a windows OS like HTC variants will do fantastic job.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:15   #1074
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Univercell in Chennai is selling the Javelin 8900 for 23xxx INR. Will it be locked to any operator ? Or is it a generic phone ? Any other cheaper place where I can buy ? Ezone/Croma ?

Thanks
BB pricing has taken a plunge in last month. I dont remember the name of the showroom but they were offering BB 8900 for Rs.20xxx in Hyderabad and i am quite sure it was unlocked.
Old 7th July 2009, 16:52   #1075
BHPian

I have heard several answers to this question and I finally need this issue resolved.

I have a BB Storm (yeah I am used to the screen now), and I am usually in Gujarat at our foundry on weekdays and weekends I am in Bombay. My service provider is Vodafone, now my question is, if i get the Bb plan will I be charged roaming? I use it mainly for email and BB Messenger, dont care too much about surfing and youtube and such. I would like to have my MSN and yahoo messenger on at all times and receive notifications as and when I get emails. Any suggestions?
Old 7th July 2009, 17:41   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
I have heard several answers to this question and I finally need this issue resolved.

I have a BB Storm (yeah I am used to the screen now), and I am usually in Gujarat at our foundry on weekdays and weekends I am in Bombay. My service provider is Vodafone, now my question is, if i get the Bb plan will I be charged roaming? I use it mainly for email and BB Messenger, dont care too much about surfing and Youtube and such. I would like to have my MSN and yahoo messenger on at all times and receive notifications as and when I get emails. Any suggestions?
Wow, thats a good question, probably the first of this type on this thread. Logically, SP should not charge for roaming for BB basic plan. But, you never know.

Anybody knows, please post the right answer
Old 7th July 2009, 18:03   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
My service provider is Vodafone, now my question is, if i get the Bb plan will I be charged roaming?
I have a BB plan from vodafone, I travel once a while and use the similar things what you mentioned. Anywhere within India, as long as you are under the vodafone network (be it city or a village) you get the complete service without any extra charges. Your emails will be delivered even if its a GPRS area. Messengers work best on EDGE, I doubt if it can work on edge and gprs. To safeguard your usage of roaming into other networks, put the network on manual mode for Vodafone only. So, no more worries.
Old 8th July 2009, 11:00   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have a BB plan from vodafone, I travel once a while and use the similar things what you mentioned. Anywhere within India, as long as you are under the vodafone network (be it city or a village) you get the complete service without any extra charges. Your emails will be delivered even if its a GPRS area. Messengers work best on EDGE, I doubt if it can work on edge and gprs. To safeguard your usage of roaming into other networks, put the network on manual mode for Vodafone only. So, no more worries.
Thats right. I did the same on my trip to Kerala & there were no extra charges to me.
Old 8th July 2009, 13:15   #1079
aZa
Senior - BHPian

facebook updated to 1.6.0.21 or something ...
Old 9th July 2009, 11:04   #1080
BHPian

I have BB Bold.
I am using the BIS plan from Airtel.
Can you guys tell me how to get the maximum battery life from the phone?
On my phone, these applications are running 24X7
2 Email accounts
Yahoo Meesnger
GTalk
BB Messenger
AIM
Windows Live Messenger
Cricinfo App
Facebook App
UberTwitter
Accuweather
Maybe a few more apps.

Also, yesterday I received a message that Application memory is almost full.
When i checked, it shows 850MB free on phone, 3GB free on card and 3 MB available on applications.
Is there a way to fix that.

Thanks

Last edited by SumitBahl : 9th July 2009 at 11:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks