Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 15:09   #1201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Which are those?

Surely RIM couldn't care which plan you are on to design the WiFi implementation?
Many of the messengers, weather apps, stock apps, some of the alternate browsers etc.

The WiFi issue was well discussed in this very thread a couple of months back. Basically the WiFi implementation and usage is way better on Windows and iPhone platform. Why should a user be faced with using applications that support WiFi? RIM states this limitation exists due to security reasons, but I couldnt care less if I wanted to sign into my gtalk at the airport.
Old 13th August 2009, 20:08   #1202
Senior - BHPian

A-ha, OK, wakarimasu. App implementers have a choice in the API whether to go through the RIM routing manager, or to use the exposed conventional WiFi i/f. The security part makes sense from the Enterprise policy p-o-v (like secure IM/IRC), not individual's p-o-v (like your example). This is not RIM's design, the choice is still with the application creators.
Old 14th August 2009, 03:56   #1203
Distinguished - BHPian

BB experts, try and convert this iPhone user/lover, here is my dilema:

I have been using the iPhone 2g for nearly 2 years, now I was almost convinced to get the 3gS as my next upgrade but somehow I'm not fully convinced. I love the iPhone but I'm kind of bored of it now, the 3gS would provide better speeds and a few more features than my 2g iPhone which is already running 3.0, but essentially it still is the same phone in terms of software and looks minus the minor facelift.

I got the Javelin for my sister and dad last week and I love the phone but it lacks the following in comparision to the 3gS:
- browser is not a patch in comparision to safari, combined with multi touch interface.
- 3rd party apps aren't half as good
- no 3g

Is there a 3rd party browser that is almost as good as Safari? Browsing is almost as important to me if not more than emailing. I miss keys, hence I prefer to type emails on the BB but I'm not willing to downgrade on the browser experience either.

I believe there are 3rd party apps by the dozen for BBs too but are they as fun or useful as the iPhone? Apps like Shazam are very useful not to forget the accelometer games are great fun too!

I don't like the Bold because of it's size, tour has no wifi and the storm or storm2 is
horrible. Nor is there a new javelin with 3g on the cards I believe?

Please advice!
Old 14th August 2009, 10:26   #1204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Is there a 3rd party browser that is almost as good as Safari? Browsing is almost as important to me if not more than emailing.
Have you tried Opera Mini on BB? Its very good and worthy.
Old 14th August 2009, 19:27   #1205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
BB experts, try and convert this iPhone user/lover, here is my dilema:

I have been using the iPhone 2g for nearly 2 years, now I was almost convinced to get the 3gS as my next upgrade but somehow I'm not fully convinced. I love the iPhone but I'm kind of bored of it now, the 3gS would provide better speeds and a few more features than my 2g iPhone which is already running 3.0, but essentially it still is the same phone in terms of software and looks minus the minor facelift.

I got the Javelin for my sister and dad last week and I love the phone but it lacks the following in comparision to the 3gS:
- browser is not a patch in comparision to safari, combined with multi touch interface.
- 3rd party apps aren't half as good
- no 3g

Is there a 3rd party browser that is almost as good as Safari? Browsing is almost as important to me if not more than emailing. I miss keys, hence I prefer to type emails on the BB but I'm not willing to downgrade on the browser experience either.

I believe there are 3rd party apps by the dozen for BBs too but are they as fun or useful as the iPhone? Apps like Shazam are very useful not to forget the accelometer games are great fun too!

I don't like the Bold because of it's size, tour has no wifi and the storm or storm2 is
horrible. Nor is there a new javelin with 3g on the cards I believe?

Please advice!
See I need to ask you a couple of things before stating the obvious.

How often do you see yourself browsing on the phone? You are quite happy with the multimedia experence that the iPhone has to offer, and its industry standard I agree but a BlackBerry can do most of what you mentioned. Maybe not with a Jazzy UI but at-least you wont be hunting around for a wall plug every couple of hours.

Is this going to be your personal or business phone?

@DerAlte : I had no idea that it was in the hands of the App developers, I am quite curious to know what phone you use.
Old 14th August 2009, 21:04   #1206
Distinguished - BHPian

@QuickDraw: I do browse a lot, perhaps more than I email.
It will be a business & personal phone.
Old 15th August 2009, 12:14   #1207
Team-BHP Support

@Sahil: Not because am an iPhone fan, but if thats the case stick to iPhone and you dont know how much you are missing in 2G unless you "try" 3GS. If its emails and heavy business use, including excels and words (editing) BB does make sense.

Trust me i tried carrying BB for a week and just gave it back as fast as i could, coz i also browse quite a bit. But then nowadays my emails have more "sent from iPhone" as signature, than from my corporate desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
@DerAlte : I had no idea that it was in the hands of the App developers, I am quite curious to know what phone you use.
BB only he he he dont know if its javelin or trampoline

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th August 2009 at 12:16.
Old 15th August 2009, 13:11   #1208
Team-BHP Support

is it just me or do even images not load in the 299 plan? the images in my damn mails arent opening. not attachments but if i get my weekly itunes mail it dosent open up fully. might just have to shift to the 1099 plan from next month.
Old 15th August 2009, 15:00   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaggu: I have and still am a die hard fan of the iPhone. I followed it extensivly before launch an picked one up the day it launched in the US after waiting in a long line! But I really expected to release an all new iPhone this time around. The 3gS is better than my 2g iPhone but not all that much, it still feels like the samething! Besides I can't digest paying triple the price I had earlier, I believe the 3gS has launches here for 45k few days back?

Where can one download apps directly to the bb? Has anyone used Shazam on the bb?
Old 15th August 2009, 15:28   #1210
Senior - BHPian

There is an offer on the Curve 8320 for 14.5 K at ezone. Worth it ?
Old 15th August 2009, 19:23   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
is it just me or do even images not load in the 299 plan? the images in my damn mails arent opening. not attachments but if i get my weekly itunes mail it dosent open up fully. might just have to shift to the 1099 plan from next month.
Akshay,

I can view and download all jpg/pdf/xls/doc attachment in Javelin having 299 plan.
Old 15th August 2009, 20:53   #1212
Team-BHP Support

mugen power - attachments are fine. but images embedded in the mail dont open. i find that highly stupid.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:24   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Attached images do work so do all other types of files, embedded ones don't, because they are pulled from the web.

@sahil : if you browse a hell lot I won't reccomend a BB it or any other browser on the market doesn't match safari. But if its casual browsing and tbhp. Well I am posting via my bb after a long long time.

@deralte : guilty as charged, so you carry the best of both worlds eh? Good good.

I am so happy that I got my lost bb returned to me (a 8900) and got the 899 plan activated this time around, lived without my beloved viigo, fb, twitterberry, weather and gps apps far too long. I missed it. Some of my collegues here at work are rocking G1's and I think some of the apps they have are totally kick a$$ infact am thinking about a G1 or another anderoid device very soon, its truely amazing!
Old 16th August 2009, 10:05   #1214
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
There is an offer on the Curve 8320 for 14.5 K at ezone. Worth it ?
e-zone? I have seen Curve 8320s go for 11-12K on e-bay UK site (new, unlocked, including shipping).

If you are getting with manufacturer's warranty, I would say its a decent buy.

Guys - I dropped my pearl 8120 on the floor yesterday. The ringtones have gone kaput. Vibration is working fine but none of the ringtones are functioning. Any idea?
Old 16th August 2009, 10:16   #1215
BHPian

hey bbbhpians

i am having issues with my bb9000 again. it doesn't seem to charge anymore. not from the wall charger, nor the USB.

it is now completely dead, and when connected to the charger it doesn't even give the steady red light like it used to while charging when completely dead.

i haven't tried replacing the battery yet.

what do you think the problem could be?
i have a feeling my friend charged my phone with the wrong charger and shot the phones' mobo or battery (not sure if that is even possible).

checking to see if this has happened to anyone else and looking for suggestions on what to do.

thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks