Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 11:16   #151
Senior - BHPian

I got back my SIM active after a good long wait of 18 hours. Reason for the issue according to them: I had deactivated my BB services and it created a mismatch of my SIM in their system and the issue came to trouble me after 14 days of deactivation of BB. Whenever I call Airtel, they tell me that I am a priority customer to them, but I face more issues than even a pre-paid customer. May be in India, priority means you should expect more problems and confusions than anyone else. Waiting for the next issue soon !
Old 1st November 2008, 00:46   #152
BHPian

Hello people, i finally got a E71 as its got all features i required and at a much less price.
I have posted my opinion here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1036138
Old 1st November 2008, 06:48   #153
Senior - BHPian

I activated BB services again from Tuesday. I could not post being down with viral fever (complimentary with any mobile services). This is my first attempt to post from the handset. Smilies are visible but not finding the link to click them. Now the latest update is; none of the 3rd party software will work on a BB plan. I could use opera and trading platforms when I activated mobile office as an addition to BB. Now BB unlimited as a standalone plan does not support any other software. And as I understand this is only in India. BB customers are using most business softwares in the US and other countries. Otherwise such softwares would not have blackberry versions in the first place. More updates later.
Old 5th November 2008, 22:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

Another issue within a week !

As a BB customer, you are supposed to go through a lot of struggles and troubles in life ! Some new developments I want to share here.

Around 9.45pm my EDGE disappears and GSM comes to screen ! First I thought its just an error from the nearest tower or something that might be a very minor issue which might correct itself within few minutes. Its not that simple. Another call to the 7070 experts, immediate answer from the tech team shocked me again "Sir, we have deactivated your BB services according to your request". I asked, 'what request, who and when ?'. Digging into their ever complicated system and server for answers, the lady revealed few facts; "Sir, we have 3 tools to check your details, tool 1 is showing your BB service is deactivated, tool 2 is showing you are still in the BB service plan, tool 3 is showing you are already non-existant..." I could not take it anymore, I just yelled "Put me to some manager or tell me to whose face I should go and throw my SIM right now".

If people remember my earlier issue (SIM invalid for 18+ hours), this was a solid reason to disconnect the number and shift to some other service provider. Just a last chance taking (only because the handset is locked to airtel) by patiently waiting for another promised 30 minutes of resolution. If things continue like this, next step is already decided, request for the handset unlock PIN and disconnect the number. Waiting fingers crossed !
Old 6th November 2008, 11:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes that is what happend to me just 1 hour back, 9.30pm to specific. My SIM is not existing, No network, No incoming, No outgoing !! Tried another handset, same issue. Tried going through the set up of the SIM card in the handset, it shows "No valid SIM card".
Same story is repeating today. I am a 100% fed up customer of airtel by now. BB is deactivated without any request (above post) now while they are sorting out the issue, SIM is gone invalid since 10.00am today. So, it gives me no other choice than moving to Vodafone.

If anyone could give me some idea about the Vodafone services, it would have been a great help. Is it worth moving to vodafone ? How is the blackberry support and services ? It should not be a shifting from boiling water to an oven ! Please give me your inputs
Old 6th November 2008, 11:47   #156
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, its best that you first call Airtel and ask them to unlock the handset on the pretext of travelling abroad and that you will be using the local country's SIM over there. Thats ways, one part of your problem will get solved.

Next, chuck Airtel and move to Vodafone and sign up for their BB services by going to the store and having all communication/forms/documents in writing rather than through IVRS/Call Center.
Old 6th November 2008, 12:15   #157
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip. I might disconnect my number today itself, it has come to such a disappointing situation with me. It takes me over a week to refresh my new number to all my contacts, banks, numerous services registered with the mobile number etc. Another alternative is shifting my pre-paid airtel number to postpaid and continue using my BB handset till I do the unlocking.
Old 6th November 2008, 13:05   #158
Senior - BHPian

This one really is the heights! Never thought that AirTel would treate BB customers as non-premium customers!

Unfortunate, Shaju, very unfortunate.

Hope your movement to Vodafone, if it does happen, is a better experience.
Old 6th November 2008, 13:31   #159
BHPian

Would appreciate it if anyone could point me out to a source that sells the spares for the Blackberry Phones in India. What I am primarily looking out is for the Trackballs which come as a set. Blackberry (Airtel) has quoted me Rs.5,600/- for replacing the same. these are easy to replace and these cost about US$ 7 in the US of A. Would love to know if there are sources for these spares in India.
Old 6th November 2008, 18:51   #160
Senior - BHPian

Infact I had used my airtel online account to 'surrender the connection' and get rid of the issues once and for all. But within 2 hours someone from the retention called to negotiate. I didnt act smart, just because somehow I need to push until the unlocking is done on the pretext of travelling. So BB is back after a break of 18 hours and the SIM is valid after a gap of 8 hours ! I am sure people will ask me, 'why you are still with airtel ?' Yes, reasons mentioned already.

Now when I think about changing my number everywhere, its a real pain on the wrong side. Its a postpaid number since 4 years, so you know how tough it is to just throw away ! I will call up and check what is to be done to avoid similar issue again. Also checking the possibility of taking a new vodafone number and use it in the shifting time, so that I dont have a lag when that 'throw away' actually happen.
Old 6th November 2008, 19:09   #161
Team-BHP Support

First and foremost get that unlock code out from them, then you decide you want airtel or not.
Old 7th November 2008, 11:52   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Would appreciate it if anyone could point me out to a source that sells the spares for the Blackberry Phones in India. What I am primarily looking out is for the Trackballs which come as a set. Blackberry (Airtel) has quoted me Rs.5,600/- for replacing the same. these are easy to replace and these cost about US$ 7 in the US of A. Would love to know if there are sources for these spares in India.
Cellular Accessories - BenQ-Siemens, Panasonic, Dopod/O2, Microsoft, NEC, LG, BlackBerry, Motorola, Sam - order online from hong kong. i have ordered from them before (got a black bezel for my bold) and plan to order again (red casing for my wife's pearl).

i haven;t come accross anybody in India retailing these spares.
Old 8th November 2008, 12:13   #163
Senior - BHPian

I am curious to know what version of software is used by other blackberry users on the desktop and the handset. Mine is BB Pearl 8120, version 4.3.0.45 presently running on the handset and version 4.3.0.15 on the desktop manager. I want to upgrade to version 4.5.0.52 (east asia) in the handset and version 4.5.0 B16 English with Media manager as the desktop manager. Please comment on this if anyone is using the similar version or has ideas on upgrading. I have searched a lot on many other forums, but key user opinions and guidelines are missing in most of them. Also we hardly find indian users on international forums.
Old 8th November 2008, 14:14   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG View Post
Cellular Accessories - BenQ-Siemens, Panasonic, Dopod/O2, Microsoft, NEC, LG, BlackBerry, Motorola, Sam - order online from hong kong. i have ordered from them before (got a black bezel for my bold) and plan to order again (red casing for my wife's pearl).

i haven;t come accross anybody in India retailing these spares.
Thanks a ton Biker, they do have the parts that i need and the postage seems pretty inexpensive compared to the previous offers got by me. Just one more doubt, how is the registered air mail shipping? Is it reliable enough when ordered to India?
Old 9th November 2008, 19:30   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am curious to know what version of software is used by other blackberry users on the desktop and the handset. Mine is BB Pearl 8120, version 4.3.0.45 presently running on the handset and version 4.3.0.15 on the desktop manager. I want to upgrade to version 4.5.0.52 (east asia) in the handset and version 4.5.0 B16 English with Media manager as the desktop manager. Please comment on this if anyone is using the similar version or has ideas on upgrading. I have searched a lot on many other forums, but key user opinions and guidelines are missing in most of them. Also we hardly find indian users on international forums.
go to BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community. do a search for 'latest os 8120' and u will get the thread for the latest os.

download it and instal it.

full instructions also given.

the downloads itself are from the blackberry official website only.

i have my 9000 bold and my wife's 8110 pearl up to date always when it comes to the OS.

advice - do 1 update at a time. dont update both the desktop software and the phone OS together. do the phone OS first and after a successful instal/sync, update the desktop software.

Most Viewed