Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2008, 13:50   #196
BHPian

hey prabhuv

I wanted to get the unlimited mobile office plan , but nobody from airtel seems to offer it..hence I went with the 899 unlimited BB plan. I have tried the Seven client on my E90 and it is indeed amazing...much better than Mail for Exchange client provided by Nokia
Old 31st December 2008, 16:05   #197
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Dude, if you have 899 unlimited, MO unlimted is there by default.
might not be the case now, since IIRC shaju had walked that road in the beginning and failed to connect.
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:52   #198
Senior - BHPian

Seems there are very little vodafone users in here, I am happily using my BB with the Vodafone with little or no hiccups since a year and more. Dont put the TCP APN you will be charged for the. BB settings are different from the Operators APN and they levy different charges for that.

Some reccomendations :
Buy a BB trust me it will be well worth it.

Buy a grey market unless you use yours roughly and there is a chance it would get spoilt, in that case I would suggest a grey market.

I would be more then happy to solve or answer your BB questions via PM or email.

BB Storm, BB Bold, BB Pearl 8110, BB Curve 8310, BB 8830

Old 2nd January 2009, 10:29   #199
Team-BHP Support

@quickdraw: why dont you help others by posting here so that it will help all the members
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:34   #200
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the Bold and new Curve (8900) available in the grey market?
There seems to be a substantial difference in price of grey market vs official blackberry phones in India. Unlike Nokia and others which have barely any difference in rates.
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:37   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is the Bold and new Curve (8900) available in the grey market?
There seems to be a substantial difference in price of grey market vs official blackberry phones in India. Unlike Nokia and others which have barely any difference in rates.
I agree. I have seen differences of upto 10k-12k between official and grey market rates. I wonder why.
Old 4th January 2009, 03:56   #202
Senior - BHPian

I would be more then happy to help you out.

I think buying officially is absolutely stupid, the devices are very very overtly priced but because of the official warrenty I had once taken the plunge and bought a 8830 World Edition from Reliance. Biggest mistake of my life. Firstly I paid 33,000 Rupees for a phone easily available in the grey market (or eBay) for 100$. The day came and I deliberately nuked its OS to see the service turnaround time. The WebWorld guys had no idea about service and finally I ended up sending my phone to the BB service centre in Bangalore (couriered it) and the thing came back in a months time. Worth it? Definately not. I will never ever buy a official BB device again unless they are available on contract like abroad or priced well.

Just for comparison current prices of Devices :
Bold : 35000 (Airtel/Vodafone) Grey : 28000 USA: You can get one for 425$
Curve : 26k Grey : 17~18k USA: 250$

Oh and just to answer your question the difference in prices is because of the operators who as just big &#(*& not only do they overcharge you for the BB service and provide **** support that also want to make a penny in selling the devices here and dont provide any service. I mean abroad they just replace the device if it has any fault!!

The Javelin is newly launched, would cost a premium if you buy it now. My advice is wait. I also deal in blackberries to feed my addiction

And like I said before please ask any questions you might have. I will be making a nice post on why BB's are so much better then other smartphones soon and also on really innovitave uses for a BB.
Old 4th January 2009, 17:00   #203
BHPian

I just picked up a Bold from USA the other day, will use my Vodafone sim for it with Blackberry..as I am currently happy with E90 w Airtel Blackberry/w mobile office

Will keep you guys updated. Anybody knows anything about Reliance GSM launch and possibility of Blackberry service with them?
Old 4th January 2009, 21:15   #204
Senior - BHPian

Reliance has blackberry services over cdma for quite a while. You can easily use a unlocked one from anywhere in the world.
Old 4th January 2009, 23:32   #205
BHPian

yeah I meant the reliance GSM based blackberry
Old 5th January 2009, 00:00   #206
BHPian

Quickdraw I had put this post in the mobile thread but didnt get any response. Hope you will be able to help. How does Blackberry 8320 compare with E71? I just find the UI (user interface) of E71 very Nokiaish. The point here is that I cant get my official mails on Blackberry (access given to very senior management) and I will not waste 1000 a month to get access gmail on Blackberry as I hardly get any important mails. Also I have not taken Vodafone Office as it is terribly slow compared to wifi so whichever phone it is, the access will be over wifi only. I have read on the forum that mails on blackberry cant be accessed over Wifi and only the default browser on 8320 (which is pathetic) will work on Blackberry. Also 8320 is not 3G. So I am more inclined towards E71.

Also if I take the Blackberry Connect from Vodafone, will I get Vodafone Office so that I am able to use the phone as a Modem and connect my laptop whenever I am travelling. I asked the Vodafone service and they declined it.
Old 5th January 2009, 00:02   #207
Senior - BHPian

The reliance service is nascent over here. Have not seen the ones on GSM they are exclusively importing XX30 devices which are CDMA so I doubt that they will be launching the BIS over GSM. I wouldn't recommend reliance because of a horrid experence I had with them. Reccomend Vodafone "55666" customer care is awesome and they always solve all my problems.
Old 5th January 2009, 09:46   #208
Senior - BHPian

@WanderNomad: better stick with E71. Like you mentioned, it doesn't make sense to get a BB Bold if you wont be using it for your primary mails.
Old 5th January 2009, 12:34   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Quickdraw I had put this post in the mobile thread but didnt get any response. Hope you will be able to help. How does Blackberry 8320 compare with E71? I just find the UI (user interface) of E71 very Nokiaish. The point here is that I cant get my official mails on Blackberry (access given to very senior management) and I will not waste 1000 a month to get access gmail on Blackberry as I hardly get any important mails. Also I have not taken Vodafone Office as it is terribly slow compared to wifi so whichever phone it is, the access will be over wifi only. I have read on the forum that mails on blackberry cant be accessed over Wifi and only the default browser on 8320 (which is pathetic) will work on Blackberry. Also 8320 is not 3G. So I am more inclined towards E71.

Also if I take the Blackberry Connect from Vodafone, will I get Vodafone Office so that I am able to use the phone as a Modem and connect my laptop whenever I am travelling. I asked the Vodafone service and they declined it.
I am sorry for my late response was just a little busy lately. You can infact configure your 8320 to use Wi-Fi to sync emails. I am not very sure of this because I do shut off my EDGE connection at home and use my router to download stuff on my Bold and it does sync emails with it. The default browser is not that great on the Curve but theres always Opera Mini to end all your problems. 3G is a no-brainer as the service is more then a year away, as you must have read in the papers so that should no influence your decision. You can get a 8320 for quite a bit less then the E71. But I would suggest go in for a grey market bold if the budget permits, trust me you will be very very happy with it. Its a very capable device. Why dont you play with one? Almost forgot you dont have to have the expensive BB plan to use net related services on the BB you can use the sada GPRS plans offered by many operators. I have had the chance to play with the E71 and although I was impressed by the build and design the keyboard leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:11   #210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
he doesnt have MO and hence doesnt work, in between he had subscribed to MO and used the setting and made it work also.
I am really impressed with your memory Jaggu ! I am sure you know what each page of this thread was discussing about and how desperately I have tried different things to get something working, but all in vein ! If you have something, you will not get another thing, I think that situation is only in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Dude, if you have 899 unlimited, MO unlimted is there by default.
I have heard it a 100 times and proved it wrong on this thread itself. BB 899 comes from BB desk and MO comes from GPRS desk, both have nothing in common, both enjoy kicking customers between their desks for even basic details.

If you have BB plans, gprs and EDGE what you enjoy is through blackberry servers which has its own limitations (no support for 3rd party software). If you have MO plans, it comes from own servers of Airtel which has no relationship to blackberry servers. So, in plain words when you say '899 unlimited has MO unlimited by default', it means "if you marry Esha you will get Ahana by default", which is not true in reality, everyone knows that. But you can have both by legitimate individual request and seperate rentals paid as 2 independent plans (BB and MO). I did it myself and all my 3rd party programmes were working perfect. But a person who is paying 899 will not want to throw another bunch of 100s just for some extras.

Latest update on my BB unlimited Plan and Unlocking of BB Pearl 8120
I am still getting airtel SIM complaints at regular invervals (messages like 'call failed', 'sim invalid' etc). I am a priority customer who has a credit limit of 5000 per month, not a single late payment in 48 months. I have used Mobile Office for over a year on my previous handsets and at present use BB unlimited for few months. But I am fed up with the airtel service in many aspects. If you have no complaints, you are lucky. If you start with one, its endless, there is something waiting for you everyday, may be I am unlukcy with airtel. I have asked for a SIM replacement, they say its not required or I have to pay for it.

Action done in the new year ! I have requested for the 'unlocking of the handset' by stating an overseas travel, expected to get a result by 12th of Jan. Planning to shift to Vodafone with the unlocked handset and try to get a decent, trouble free service gradually. I dont think any mobile service in India is trouble-free ! But just a feeling that I might be luckier with Vodafone. "I have been hit a dozen times on the airtel ring (read boxing ring), is it wrong to try my luck on the vodafone ring ?" I think I am justified ! The "Happy to Help" pug is waiting for me ! Here I come !! cheers:

Last edited by shajufx : 5th January 2009 at 17:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks