Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2009, 17:53   #331
Senior - BHPian

All the IMs like Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo can be installed as soon the BB plan is activated. Installer icons will be already there when you activate the plan. I have a BB Pearl 8120 which has wi-fi. I used BB unlimited plan for many months, now unsubscribed for sometime. I have a wi-fi modem at home. I can only use opera or BB browser for normal internet usages. No messengers work, because they need an individual data plan. If anyone tells you that messengers can work over wi-fi, I will be the happiest person to get the secret from you.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:00   #332
BANNED

I just don't see any sense in signing up for a BB plan from any of the service providers, especially when all I am utilizing the phone for, is to occasionally check email and web browsing.
But it's a shame that IMs don't work with BB phones over WiFi. Wonder why. Other phones allow you this.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:18   #333
Senior - BHPian

There might be some settings that could be worked out. But in my search on the international blackberry forums and asking questions to many, could not reach any resolution so far. I badly require messenger over wi-fi which can be very handy when I am watching TV or being busy with other things in the house but at the same time 'online' on messengers ! Sadly thats still a dream.
Old 16th February 2009, 18:19   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
I just don't see any sense in signing up for a BB plan from any of the service providers, especially when all I am utilizing the phone for, is to occasionally check email and web browsing.
But it's a shame that IMs don't work with BB phones over WiFi. Wonder why. Other phones allow you this.
Hmm..I found something interesting,

IM through WiFi on 8820? - RIM BlackBerry - Wireless Forums from AT&T

Also,

Beejive - instant messaging anywhere --> It says Wifi Supported? Can anyone confirm this?
Old 16th February 2009, 18:48   #335
BHPian

My bad, I read more sites and I realized you need the service books to access the messengers over Wi-Fi. Hmm, sahjufx, you have disconnected your BIS plan right? But you might still have the service books on your phone? try connecting your BB messenger over Wi-fi as I have read at various places that people are able to access BB messenger over Wi-fi even though they didn't have any service. Worth a shot!
Old 16th February 2009, 19:15   #336
Senior - BHPian

He he that was really funny ! The latest discussion here is to use IM services over wi-fi without any data plans on Blackberry. So far, we have not found any luck.

Have you used any of these buddy ? I have heard a 100 solutions from US and other european users, but none of them worked on my phone. I tried your recommendation too, beejive shows error on connection, means it needs a data plan. I tried ebuddy, it works but you need to have the best patience in the world to type and read on that, it takes ages to show something.

I have unsubcribed from BB plans which I had with Airtel. Now I have unlocked my handset from airtel and moved to vodafone. So, no luck in that line too. Even if it works that way, BB messenger is useless. It can be used only for people with BB PIN around the world. How many of your friends have got a BB and a PIN to use that messenger ? Even people with BB services hardly uses the BB messenger (which is exclusive messenger only for BB users).
Old 16th February 2009, 19:45   #337
BHPian

Shaju,

Nope, no BB yet for me. Thanks to you and others here, I chose iPhone over Storm. Not that I am trying to say storm is bad, but my neccesities are different. And iPhone was just perfect for that, and I get about 140 kbps on EDGE with airtel MO. So I am a happy man.
Old 16th February 2009, 19:59   #338
Senior - BHPian

My GTalk used to work on the Bold even when not connected to the network. But the same didnt work in the 8320 never really got around finding out how.

For occational usage over wi-fi BB's are ok. Like said before if you want the real power of a BB you have to get a plan attached. The BB plans are cheaper in India then abroad but abroad usually the compainies provide BB's to their employees there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Shaju,

Nope, no BB yet for me. Thanks to you and others here, I chose iPhone over Storm. Not that I am trying to say storm is bad, but my neccesities are different. And iPhone was just perfect for that, and I get about 140 kbps on EDGE with airtel MO. So I am a happy man.
I dont get those speeds on my DSL connection. Download SpeedTest from the AppStore and check the actual speeds.

Last edited by quickdraw : 16th February 2009 at 20:01.
Old 16th February 2009, 20:02   #339
BANNED

Hi Guys,

Can any of you who have used a Blackberry 8900 help me. Need some help with some basic settings (speed dials etc). Unable to figure it out myself. Would appreciate if you can pm me your no.

Viper
Old 17th February 2009, 03:23   #340
Senior - BHPian

When in the main key press and hold the key (it can be any key doesnt have to be on the number pad) and then it will ask you to assign it to speed dial. I think in the new OS you can set it to launch a application as well.
Old 17th February 2009, 15:24   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I dont get those speeds on my DSL connection. Download SpeedTest from the AppStore and check the actual speeds.
I am giving you the speeds as reported by that application. . Actually, dont know if it is relevant, but there is an airtel tower right over my head (as in the office)...so the speed I get is amazing.
Old 17th February 2009, 16:46   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
Yes I agree. Its pure monopolistic profit making tendency. I too like BB handsets a lot. But my usage is occasional mail check, Facebooking and movie/train/flight ticket booking. All the handsets that I have owned in the last 2-3 years have served this purposes very well - and even more.

Unfortunately, BB would fail on most of these counts w/o a BB plan. And no thanks, I dont want to waste Rs 899/1099 pm for using these. At present, with heavy GPRS usage (and occasionally when I even forget to disconnect my GPRS connection), my data usage does not exceed Rs 150-200 pm.

Wonder why BB wants to create so much exclusivity in India by restricting its usage base. And that too, at a time when companies are cutting costs!

Honestly, if you ask me, RIM and mobile operators should come up with cheaper BB plans because not all companies in India hand out BB phones+data plans to their employees (unlike US/EU).
Old 17th February 2009, 22:27   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Yes I agree. Its pure monopolistic profit making tendency. I too like BB handsets a lot. But my usage is occasional mail check, Facebooking and movie/train/flight ticket booking. All the handsets that I have owned in the last 2-3 years have served this purposes very well - and even more.

Unfortunately, BB would fail on most of these counts w/o a BB plan. And no thanks, I dont want to waste Rs 899/1099 pm for using these. At present, with heavy GPRS usage (and occasionally when I even forget to disconnect my GPRS connection), my data usage does not exceed Rs 150-200 pm.

Wonder why BB wants to create so much exclusivity in India by restricting its usage base. And that too, at a time when companies are cutting costs!

Honestly, if you ask me, RIM and mobile operators should come up with cheaper BB plans because not all companies in India hand out BB phones+data plans to their employees (unlike US/EU).
On the contrary BB plans in India are quite cheap compared to world prices. But the 35 pounds a month for 2 years get you the handset free, and likewise for 35$ a month on verizon you have to pay megre amounts upfront to get the handset. Dont shoot the messenger here RIM has no control over pricing. The operators were still charging above 30k for the 8830 which is available brand new unlock abroad for 150$ish.

Quote:
I am giving you the speeds as reported by that application. . Actually, dont know if it is relevant, but there is an airtel tower right over my head (as in the office)...so the speed I get is amazing.
Are you talking about EDGE or WiFi its almost impossible, can you post a screenshot please (still assuming you are on a iPhone)
Old 17th February 2009, 23:16   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get about 140 kbps on EDGE with airtel MO. So I am a happy man.
Yes its clearly written that he gets 140 kbps on EDGE with the MO service. I could never see above 112 kbps when I used MO for over 6 months before I got into BB handset. May be its to do with the handset more than the distance to tower. May be iphone gives the best of EDGE, I have never used one, so no clue !

Last edited by shajufx : 17th February 2009 at 23:18.
Old 18th February 2009, 09:54   #345
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
When in the main key press and hold the key (it can be any key doesnt have to be on the number pad) and then it will ask you to assign it to speed dial. I think in the new OS you can set it to launch a application as well.
Hi,

Thanks a lot buddy it worked. Problem is I do not have the English users manual hence could not find it.

Viper

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks