Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2009, 11:41   #376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You are talking exactly opposite to what Airtel and Vodafone BB support team say, and its really really leading me and others into more confusion. So, lets cut it short, if you have used a BB for browsing, chatting and sending emails (not through wi-fi), lets hear how you did that. That will clear all confusions. And next point is about the BB service difference; as I understand, Enterprise Service is for corporate connections and Prosumer Plan is for individuals. Are you telling they offer Enterprise service for individuals as well ? Then why these guys are unwilling to process my request as I already spoke to 3 different service heads ? By the way my handset runs on 4.5 version.
It is entirely your choice who you choose to belive friend. Me or the CC officials. The 899 plan surely exists I am attaching a screengrab of my last bill as proof and I am not on any corporate plan or anything.

Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 597
Size:  58.4 KB

I have offered to help anyone in setting up their berries as a gesture of converting as many possible into the religion. Also attaching a picture *guess which phone* Am permanently on the arch nemises iPhone for now as am trying to cut down monthly expenses and that includes the BIS costs!

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-photo-189.jpg
Old 21st February 2009, 14:48   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It is entirely your choice who you choose to belive friend. Me or the CC officials. The 899 plan surely exists I am attaching a screengrab of my last bill as proof and I am not on any corporate plan or anything.
Hey buddy, I am not blaming you, dont mistake me for something silly ! I have again tried to talk to vodafone BB team, they dont want to give me that 899 plan. You might have used one, but I am helpless with that information. So, its not about what you have used or done, if the network provider is not giving me something that I want, whom to blame ?

The answer I wanted to hear from you is not about the 899 plan infact, its about the BB handset being converted into an ordinary gprs phone, which even nishant wanted to know (all without a BB plan and not depending on wi-fi). If someone can give some hints on that, I would be happier by not being a BB customer.
Old 21st February 2009, 18:30   #378
Senior - BHPian

Why would you want to use it on the GPRS plan? I am assuming the GPRS plan will also set you back by a similar amount every month. Assumption made on condition of Unlimited plans. If you are going to be using the limited plans and paying per KB then the BIS also has the 249 Rs/month plan with some certein amount of free data usage as well. So tell me why would you want to use it on a NON BIS data plan?
Old 21st February 2009, 21:26   #379
BHPian

hey quickdraw...does the Blackberry Internet Plan's APN work with Iphone?
Old 21st February 2009, 23:03   #380
Senior - BHPian

Nopes!

The service books are far too complex for me to dechiper. And AFAIK it works on some hardware encryption.
Old 22nd February 2009, 00:04   #381
Senior - BHPian

Are you sure the BB Service Book is usable / needed on the iPhone? AFAIK iPhone will work with the Service Provider's GPRS connection settings sent by SMS when your SIM is registered for the first time, and usually these settings are portable across GSM/GPRS devices.

I have used my BB plan SIM on an HTC Touch - first without BB Connect (GPRS worked without problems; I had used the same settings as that on my Nokia N82 for GPRS connectivity), and then with BB Connect (worked without problems connecting to my office mail server).
Old 22nd February 2009, 10:10   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why would you want to use it on the GPRS plan? So tell me why would you want to use it on a NON BIS data plan?
Simple answer buddy, recession time, wallet is light, dont want to spent a fortune on BB plan just for some occasional basic usage of browsing, checking mail etc. By the way, what we need here in India is a user-data-based plan, means you pay for what you use ! I like to have a BB plan always active on my phone, but pay as per my use, not a blind fixed amount every month. Right now vodafone minimum plan is 499 something. I pay only 777 for my home broadband with 2Mbps speed. How in the world can I justify my BB rent ?
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:31   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Are you sure the BB Service Book is usable / needed on the iPhone? AFAIK iPhone will work with the Service Provider's GPRS connection settings sent by SMS when your SIM is registered for the first time, and usually these settings are portable across GSM/GPRS devices.

I have used my BB plan SIM on an HTC Touch - first without BB Connect (GPRS worked without problems; I had used the same settings as that on my Nokia N82 for GPRS connectivity), and then with BB Connect (worked without problems connecting to my office mail server).
The BIS service doesnt have some specific APN thats why it cant just be directly used on another device. GPRS and BIS are quite different from each other.

Quote:
Simple answer buddy, recession time, wallet is light, dont want to spent a fortune on BB plan just for some occasional basic usage of browsing, checking mail etc. By the way, what we need here in India is a user-data-based plan, means you pay for what you use ! I like to have a BB plan always active on my phone, but pay as per my use, not a blind fixed amount every month. Right now vodafone minimum plan is 499 something. I pay only 777 for my home broadband with 2Mbps speed. How in the world can I justify my BB rent ?
Check out
FAQ - Blackberry
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:09   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am very curious to know that bypass thing. I tried all what I could, but still not finding a way to run gprs on my BB. Anyway I have a BB handset now, so If I can use it on gprs for sometime, I would be very happy to keep the handset with me for sometime, otherwise I might consider buying a windows mobile, just to save the expensive BB affair.
For Airtel, your sim should be MO or Live activated.

On phone, set TCP>APN> MO (airtelgprs.com) or Airtellive (airtelfun.com). You are ready to use 3rd party app like Opera, Logic mail client etc.

BB mail app and messenger doesnt work.

Quote:
You are talking exactly opposite to what Airtel and Vodafone BB support team say, and its really really leading me and others into more confusion. So, lets cut it short, if you have used a BB for browsing, chatting and sending emails (not through wi-fi), lets hear how you did that. That will clear all confusions.
Right now 2 phones in office are running this way, so i think the Support team is clueless.
Old 23rd February 2009, 10:46   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The BIS service doesnt have some specific APN thats why it cant just be directly used on another device. GPRS and BIS are quite different from each other.
Read the Service Book. Service Book goes beyond BIS - there is BES, right? Service book is BB specific: hardwired IP routes for email, IM, browser, search client, provisioning, OTA sync etc. Other phones have a simpler scheme - 1 open scheme that works for ANY internet-based service, without tying them to blackberry.net. The hardwired scheme is what makes BB significantly faster than others for some services.

In any case all phones need an APN - the APN contains the first port of call for the IP packets. In BB this is pre-specified in the Service Book.

You need GPRS to reach BIS/BES.
Old 24th February 2009, 10:20   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I NEVER said that you cant use it on a normal GPRS and wifi. Let me rephrase it correctly. YOU CAN USE A BLACKBERRY WITHOUT A DATA PLAN FOR BROWSING, CHATTING AND SENDING EMAILS. But it just wont be the same. If you really want a BB pick it up ill help you get it setup with your setup
Quote:
Why would you want to use it on the GPRS plan? I am assuming the GPRS plan will also set you back by a similar amount every month. Assumption made on condition of Unlimited plans. If you are going to be using the limited plans and paying per KB then the BIS also has the 249 Rs/month plan with some certein amount of free data usage as well. So tell me why would you want to use it on a NON BIS data plan?
My monthly GPRS Pay-per-use data plan costs me Rs 200 odd. Its not unlimited, but then again, I dont need unlimited data plan.
Quote:
Old 24th February 2009, 11:40   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
My monthly GPRS Pay-per-use data plan costs me Rs 200 odd. Its not unlimited, but then again, I dont need unlimited data plan.
Go for the Basic BIS plan its 249 Rupees me thinks with 1 MB free usage. There on its chargeable. But be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Read the Service Book. Service Book goes beyond BIS - there is BES, right? Service book is BB specific: hardwired IP routes for email, IM, browser, search client, provisioning, OTA sync etc. Other phones have a simpler scheme - 1 open scheme that works for ANY internet-based service, without tying them to blackberry.net. The hardwired scheme is what makes BB significantly faster than others for some services.

In any case all phones need an APN - the APN contains the first port of call for the IP packets. In BB this is pre-specified in the Service Book.

You need GPRS to reach BIS/BES.
What are you trying to say by this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Right now 2 phones in office are running this way, so i think the Support team is clueless.
Bang on!
Old 24th February 2009, 11:57   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Basic BIS plan its 249 Rupees me thinks with 1 MB free usage. There on its chargeable. But be careful
I dont mind going for the Basic BIS 249 plan.But I have heard horror stories that bills ramp up to unbelievable amounts by the end of the month. Enough to kill a man with a weak heart. True stuff?

On another note, is it possible to 'time' the BIS service? i.e. can I set a timer so that BIS gets activated lets say, between 2000-0800 hrs every day? I assume that by doing so, I would be able to curtail the usage (charges), fulfill my needs and enjoy BB services and handsets as well. Please let me know if such a thing is possible.
Old 24th February 2009, 12:25   #389
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nishant, first of all activating and deactivating the BB service itself is in no time-control of the customer (atleast airtel), so I doubt if you have a specific time based control over it on a daily basis ! We are far from those days to control everything on our own. I wish I could activate the unlimited BB services on my phone, but strictly pay as I use, and only when I use (no daily damage nor fixed monthly rent). I dont mind paying Rs.5/- per day for this service. If I am out of state, travelling, then let them charge Rs.10/- per day ! Any takers ?
Old 24th February 2009, 14:46   #390
BHPian

Google Maps now working..

Special thanks to quickdraw who assisted me in this problem.
Google maps now works perfectly but after I did some trial and error.

After opening BB Maps it endlessly says "searching for satellites" and it doesn't seem to get a lock at all. Once I tried opening BB Maps, immediately hit the HangUp button and launched Google maps. And voila! Google maps got the satellite lock within 30 seconds. And the blue dot wasn't surrounded by any circle and I was shown the exact location.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks