Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2009, 01:53   #601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
One problem i see is what would the delivery option be ? All items to one destination would mean persons from elsewhere have to pay delivery again. This would negate the savings made initially.

Otherwise , I'm game!
Yes if its fommy I can understand to a certain extent but I can ask him for a good discount for a clubbed order.

A lot of money can be saved on CNN.CN for sure. So anyone wants to get their berry Blacked out or just need some genric parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
And it looks quite gorgeous!
Hey nice to see you on the thread sam, now please dont tell me you use a iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
a friend of plans on buying the Javelin in the US.he wants to know if it can be unlocked.

rev
Most definately can be, and if he is buying one on contract he can ask his operator itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So we have a clean review of BOLD and Javelin expected here ! Dont they both look alike ? If you put them together, they look like brothers. I have not gone through the detailed feature list. Let us hear from the new users on what they like best. So far not heard on STORM. Anyone here ?
No they dont look alike Shaju, I could post some stuff if you want but it will be little biased dont you agree. Ill try and be honest though I've used the Pearl Flip as well if you care for a review on that. Its price has lowered to 15k I really think you should pick it up!
Old 1st April 2009, 10:59   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Now the question is whether 8300 or 8310 or 8320, which is better?
Its not about whats better its about what you want and whats your budget. They are all essentially the same just the difference being.

8300 - NA - 10~11k
8310 - GPS - 11 ~ 13k
8320 - GPS WiFi - 13~15k

@quickdraw

Finally made up my mind on 8310, but nowhere I could get it for the price you had indicated. Even in Ebay it is 16.75K plus. Can you just let me know one or two places where I can get it online. If not I have to settle down with 8110.
Old 1st April 2009, 14:45   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Most definately can be, and if he is buying one on contract he can ask his operator itself.
thanx.and no he doesn plan on getting it on contract.

rev
Old 1st April 2009, 15:19   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
@quickdraw

Finally made up my mind on 8310, but nowhere I could get it for the price you had indicated. Even in Ebay it is 16.75K plus. Can you just let me know one or two places where I can get it online. If not I have to settle down with 8110.
Send me the cash ill send you one

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech View Post
thanx.and no he doesn plan on getting it on contract.

rev
In any case as mention it can definitely be unlocked.
Old 2nd April 2009, 18:27   #605
Senior - BHPian

So any feedback and reviews from people on BIS 299 plan?

Please could someone let me know if GPRS applications such as BookMyShow, PVR Online Ticket Booking, ngpay, Rediff Mobile work on the BIS 299 plan?

Also, please let me know if FaceBook for BB works, either through the browser (m.facebook.com) or through the RIM developed application?

Airtel website says that 'browsing is restricted' on BIS 299 plan. I want to understand those restrictions! (Not that I will sign up for Airtel - I am on Vodafone and have heard very very scary reports about the Airtel network).

Vodafone website says that 'browsing is not permitted at all' on the BIS 299 plan. Now thats what makes things complicated.

As per previous posts, having a BIS plan automatically gets me Mobile Office (or whatever Vodafone calls it). So cant I use browser or third party applications and be charged separately for data usage? Let BB messenger and Push email be covered under the 299 plan and charge me separately for other GPRS data usage. I mean how difficult is it?
Old 2nd April 2009, 22:13   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Please could someone let me know if GPRS applications such as BookMyShow, PVR Online Ticket Booking, ngpay, Rediff Mobile work on the BIS 299 plan?

Also, please let me know if FaceBook for BB works, either through the browser (m.facebook.com) or through the RIM developed application?

Airtel website says that 'browsing is restricted' on BIS 299 plan. I want to understand those restrictions! (Not that I will sign up for Airtel - I am on Vodafone and have heard very very scary reports about the Airtel network).

Vodafone website says that 'browsing is not permitted at all' on the BIS 299 plan. Now thats what makes things complicated.

As per previous posts, having a BIS plan automatically gets me Mobile Office (or whatever Vodafone calls it). So cant I use browser or third party applications and be charged separately for data usage? Let BB messenger and Push email be covered under the 299 plan and charge me separately for other GPRS data usage. I mean how difficult is it?
Nothing except Yahoo,GTalk & MSN Messengers will work. Oh and also the BIS Email will work. Except that any third party application or internet browsing is impossible in the 299 plan.

@mods : I am sorry for my earlier post, I was honestly not aware about the rule you mentioned. It was not deliberate. Thanks!

On the other side, my Javelin started developing some hardware issues and had to be sent to the coffer for replacement. So I am lugging around this pristine piece of metal. I think you guys will recognize it.

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-photo-197.jpg

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-photo-200.jpg

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-photo-192.jpg

I really liked the build quality of the device. A Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 and Windows Mobile has really made some strides since I stopped using those devices. But sadly I am happy that I switched to BlackBerry it remains my platform of choice and will be happily jumping back to the Javelin or maybe a Bold again very soon.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:24   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nishant,

You can use only Gtalk, Yahoo messenger, msn messenger, BB push emails and BB PIN in 299 plan.

You can also activate Vodafone Mobile Connect and surf internet on your BB, Vodafone offers three different plans for vodafone mobile connect. See their website for more details.

If you are on corporate plan and need unlimited full BIS, you can pay 6999Rs in advance and use unlimited BIS for 12 months.

Quote:
or maybe a Bold again very soon.
??
Old 3rd April 2009, 04:18   #608
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha yes,

I had the Javelin and I really felt it is really nice. And have mentioned this before the real reason that I bought it was because it was the only handset that I couldnt get my hands on.

But given a choice now I just just might go in for the Bold because of the following reasons.

1. I am planning to PIMP it out with the Black Bezel and the Trackball.
2. I am in love with the leather back and the Javelin's plastic back just doesnt cut it.
3. I really am drooling over those faux snake leather backs on cnn.cn

I really dont have anything against the Javelin but I am really keeping an option for a Bold though. Cant say it all depends on what the Mobile dealer has in stock. But have to agree both phones have their shortcomings and positives as well. Given the choice I would be more then happy with either. But definitely not the storm because I am a self confessed abuser and any touchscreen can never match a keyboard.

Also wanted to throw this out in the open I prefer the Curve series keyboards (with spaces between the keys) over the other series 88xx and 9000. And I love the click sound the keyboard makes while typing. I also noticed the curve's battery life was slightly better then the Bold. Or maybe because it was brand new.
Old 3rd April 2009, 07:10   #609
BHPian

Here's list of some nice fee apps that I have on my bold:

Vlingo - Fantastic voice control
Bolt - Browser
Opera Mini - Browser
iSkoot - Skype client, till we get one from skype
Slacker - Internet radio that you can cache on your SD card. Check it out with a US zip code
Google Sync - To automatically sync your contacts with gmail - don't use it for calendar though
All the messenger client - yahoo, MSN, Gtalk etc.
Facebook app - Check crackberry forums for version 1.5

No one mentioned anything about a peculiar BB behavior - It can not ring and vibrate at the same time. Hence I use an app called VibAndRing. Its not free but makes life so much easier!

Other than this, I have a traffic app specific to Canada as the evening commute can be a pain and checking highway status on the fly is a boon.

So has anyone tried the new blackberry app world? Lots of free stuff there too.
Old 3rd April 2009, 09:36   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Nishant,

You can use only Gtalk, Yahoo messenger, msn messenger, BB push emails and BB PIN in 299 plan.

You can also activate Vodafone Mobile Connect and surf internet on your BB, Vodafone offers three different plans for vodafone mobile connect. See their website for more details.
Vodafone Mobile Connect is for surfing on your phone, or is it for using your phone as a tethered modem and utilizing the EDGE data from your phone to browse on your laptop? I thought its the latter.

Cant I also activate Vodafone Live and surf on my BB, in addition to having BIS 299?
Old 3rd April 2009, 11:28   #611
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Nishant,

Exactly with the same idea I am switching over from Windoows Mobile to BlackBerry and will have BB 299 Plan from Airtel activated along with any one of the available Mobile Office Plans!
Nishant has a doubt in it. I hope with MO from Airtel or Mobile Connect from Voda one can use the BB phone as a tethered modem as well surf on the same.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:03   #612
Senior - BHPian

So, what would be the ideal combination plan for best VFM ?
I meant BB 299 + Vodafone Mobile Connect. If the total comes less than 500 bucks, then it sounds better than 899 unlimited, but practically no idea what will be the total KB count end of the month. As far as my knowledge is concerned, one can activate/use Mobile connect on a BB only if one of the BB plans are active.

Last edited by shajufx : 3rd April 2009 at 13:06.
Old 3rd April 2009, 13:29   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
So, what would be the ideal combination plan for best VFM ?
I meant BB 299 + Vodafone Mobile Connect. If the total comes less than 500 bucks, then it sounds better than 899 unlimited, but practically no idea what will be the total KB count end of the month. As far as my knowledge is concerned, one can activate/use Mobile connect on a BB only if one of the BB plans are active.
Not exactly Shaju, depending on your handset it will allow you to configure a GPRS access point so you can use that for data services and browsing. But the inbuilt apps have a tendency not to work at times with it. If you are a heavy duty browser and love using many third party apps for RSS etc then the 899 plan is worth it.

[quote=jgsolo27;1244030]
Quote:

Cant I also activate Vodafone Live and surf on my BB, in addition to having BIS 299?
Vodafone Live is the W@P access point on Vodafone and used for WML browsing only AFAIK. Again as said many times before if you are really keen on browsing etc on a BB you better best stick to a BB Specific plan. In the end its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Here's list of some nice fee apps that I have on my bold:

Bolt - Browser
Opera Mini - Browser
iSkoot - Skype client, till we get one from skype
Slacker - Internet radio that you can cache on your SD card. Check it out with a US zip code
Google Sync - To automatically sync your contacts with gmail - don't use it for calendar though
All the messenger client - yahoo, MSN, Gtalk etc.

No one mentioned anything about a peculiar BB behavior - It can not ring and vibrate at the same time. Hence I use an app called VibAndRing. Its not free but makes life so much easier!

Other than this, I have a traffic app specific to Canada as the evening commute can be a pain and checking highway status on the fly is a boon.

Let me add some to the ones you've already mentioned.

FlipSide MP3 Player - Gives a nice Cover Flow like interface.
Areze Email Alerts - Another Nice App!
Weather Eye / Push Weather - Self Explainatory I guess
Google Mobile APP
Vlingo - Really cool voice command app.

And there are many many more. I think more or less by tonight ill know which berry am going to keep for a good time to come. Am getting sick of the Xperia UI and Keyboard already.
Old 3rd April 2009, 17:08   #614
BHPian

Not for me?

Quote:
Read on crackberry forums that it works only 4.6.xx
I have OS 4.2.xx in my Tata Indicom 8830 WE
Old 4th April 2009, 00:26   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi Mohit,
Can we have link to blackberry app world?
Can i use Vlingo without Unlimited BIS plan?

Quote:
Vodafone Mobile Connect is for surfing on your phone, or is it for using your phone as a tethered modem and utilizing the EDGE data from your phone to browse on your laptop? I thought its the latter.

With Vodafone mobile connect you can surf EDGE data on your phone and also on your laptop.

Vodafone Live and Vodafone mobile connect both are different.

Vodafone Live activation is free but again you can not use Vodafone Live on BB which having BB Prosumer Plan activated.

Quote:

Exactly with the same idea I am switching over from Windoows Mobile to BlackBerry and will have BB 299 Plan from Airtel activated along with any one of the available Mobile Office Plans!
Nishant has a doubt in it. I hope with MO from Airtel or Mobile Connect from Voda one can use the BB phone as a tethered modem as well surf on the same.
You can Activate BB Prosumer plan and Vodofone mobile connect to surf on mobile and also on laptop, but if you do not want to surf on laptop than you should have activate BIS unlimited plan.

If you activate BB Prosumer it costs you 299Rs and 499Rs for Vodafone mobile connect having 500MB free data it costs 899Rs same as BIS unlimited corporate plan.

Most Viewed