Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2009, 14:48   #706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
After upgrading my Desktop Software and removing the Sim Card and memory card and deleting vendor.xml file, It shows a list of apps already on my phone and allows me to remove or add any. I just keep clicking next and it just comes to Finish while it did nothing. Where could I be going wrong?
a) why did you remove the vedor xml file, was this an unlocked handset previously locked in to any vendor.

b) if its not updating anything, for aps already on the phone, it might be the latest version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Does it make sense to get a Blackberry Bold if the user will not take the Blackberry service from the operator?
No in my opinion, unless user wants to carry a BB device for whatever purpose

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th April 2009 at 14:51.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:08   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Deepak, have you solved your issues ? Curious to know where you stand ! Hope all the problems are settled and you are into v4.5 already. Please post what was wrong early, atleast it would help many people who face similar issues.
I am getting really frustrated. After deleting vendor.xml running loader.exe, clicking next at three occurences, it says nothing to remove or add, and your device has been updated successfully and comes to the Finish stage. Nothing really happens. I've tried every possible permutation & combination. With or without memory card. With or without World Sim card. With or without Desktop Manager open. Take out battery hard resetting the phone. I do not know what else to try. That is why I was asking if there are any fellow members in this thread using CDMA with blackberry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
a) why did you remove the vedor xml file, was this an unlocked handset previously locked in to any vendor.

b) if its not updating anything, for aps already on the phone, it might be the latest version.
No. This is a handset that is locked to Tata Indicom. First I should unlock the handset to upgrade the OS?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th April 2009 at 15:18. Reason: Multi quote
Old 13th April 2009, 15:22   #708
Team-BHP Support

Now its more clear. I think the upgrade for CDMA version is not out yet/or you are running the latest version already, and hence the device says nothing to update.

vendor.xml is used to identify the appropriate vendor and os file while updating, in some cases if the handset is unlocked using other means (read as not through service provider), one might need to remove these files from the comp for the device to get it to update.

No you dont have to unlock to upgrade the OS.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:28   #709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to get a Blackberry Bold if the user will not take the Blackberry service from the operator?
Totally, I heard somewhere that its resistant to high db's. And I am not kidding on this one the Audio quality of the BOLD is splendid, do hear it for yourself. Play any song at 85% volume when lying down and keep the Bold facing down on your chest. Might sound wierd but thats the USP of the Bold.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:33   #710
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Totally, I heard somewhere that its resistant to high db's. And I am not kidding on this one the Audio quality of the BOLD is splendid, do hear it for yourself. Play any song at 85% volume when lying down and keep the Bold facing down on your chest. Might sound wierd but thats the USP of the Bold.
Am amazed at this, why would one want to pick up a business phone with push service, at a premium price for just multi media? Arent there other competent products which can do the multi media part and much more, at half the price??? Nokia and SE's do have very good capability and better ones compared to BOLD.

Am not saying audio is bad in BB, but tell me the logic? why i should recommend a device especially if its going to be severely handicapped without BB services to a new user.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:50   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No in my opinion, unless user wants to carry a BB device for whatever purpose
User has 50-60k to spend and wants the best phone possible for the price. User however does not indulge in any office work on the phone. User's other phone is going to be the iPhone 3G. Hence user is very confused as to where the balance 50k odd is now to be blown.

Quote:
haha. It's not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Am amazed at this, why would one want to pick up a business phone with push service, at a premium price for just multi media?
Multimedia isn't a priority either. Anyway, tell me, isn't it possible to get email on the Bold using wi-fi and something like Outlook for mobile phone? Sorry to sound technologically challenged, but the user would like to have emails but that isn't a priority. Downloading and viewing whenever connected to wi-fi is fine.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 13th April 2009 at 15:54.
Old 13th April 2009, 15:53   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am amazed at this, why would one want to pick up a business phone with push service, at a premium price for just multi media? Arent there other competent products which can do the multi media part and much more, at half the price??? Nokia and SE's do have very good capability and better ones compared to BOLD.

Am not saying audio is bad in BB, but tell me the logic? why i should recommend a device especially if its going to be severely handicapped without BB services to a new user.
I'll try and answer you Jaggu but please do keep in mind I am biased before I type the first character in my explanation, but ill try and be reasonable here because unlike me you're quite open to opinion.

Lets compare here, in terms of Business Nokia & SE's flagships are the E71 and the Xperia X1 right?

I've used them both recently because friends and family got sick and tired of my BB Addiction while doing everything.

The Xperia is very good looking but the OS is a big let down. Windows is just not that straightforward or easy to use. Sure it can do everything the Bold can, maybe more but the OS and the flimsy keyboard let it down. The Speakers and camera arnt something to talk about either.

The E71 looks really good. And the price point is killer, no wonder its selling in such high numbers. I found the keyboard to be quite wierd. The Sound quality isnt anything great. The OS is same old same old Nokia. Its a tremendous VFM package though it can do everything a Bold can for almost half the price.

I know many people who dont use the BIS service after buying Berries, but now after the 299 plan I convinced all of them to activate it. And they are very happy with it. Point is people push themself to activate the plan when they actually own a BB device.

Oh did I mention BB devices are "Cool" you've used them Jaggu I think we should all sit and blame our operators for selling them at such high costs and charging such high rent. Would you not happily buy a Bold if it was given to you free on a contract with 2000 INR rent for 24 months and unlimited data and texts and a large amount of minutes free as well?

Just read your post B&T

If the budget is 50k please ask user to consider Bang & Olfusen Serenata with even better acoustics and exclusivity. I've used one of these before and you can get it at Heera Panna for around that much.

Last edited by quickdraw : 13th April 2009 at 15:56.
Old 13th April 2009, 17:53   #713
Team-BHP Support

I dont want to get into a debate (again) but yes your opening statement is very apt.

Another point, to me BB still aint kewl since i need to like the gadget more than the image (i used to carry a communicator few years back when it came out, and used to be ridiculed by others for carrying a brick, iron box). Even if its free (BB) i might not pick it up yet Given a choice i would choose HTC new pro series, then E75/71 and as a final option only i would pick BB.

As far a B&T is concerned, i would suggest to list down users needs and prioritize in the mobile phone thread, and then some useful recommendation will come
Old 13th April 2009, 18:31   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
deleting vendor.xml file, It shows a list of apps already on my phone and allows me to remove or add any.
I have never heard of anyone deleting a file like that. To put it in simpler words, I upgraded my desktop version to 4.5 first, then connected the handset and upgraded without removing nor deleting anything. System initiated the restart, upgrade etc. and nothing was done from my side manually.

The only thing I did before all these was, backing up the phone book and other data whatever was in the phone. Best thing you could do now is to get the advise from the BB support guys, because we may not have anyone using reliance BB service on this forum, if there is, its tough to spot the person and get some info. And Unlocked or Locked status of the handset has nothing to do with upgrading the software.

Quote:
User has 50-60k to spend and wants the best phone possible for the price. Multimedia isn't a priority either. Downloading and viewing whenever connected to wi-fi is fine.
If BB service is not in mind, there might be lot of better looking, better feature-filled, multimedia enabled phones in the market which would be easier to decide on the 'mobile phone' thread where we have regular phone freaks who can give 'heavy-weight' advise ! There are many phones in the market that also has built-in blackberry features for lesser cost. If looks, exclusivity and features are the priority, please consider 'Vertu' phones too Vertu

Last edited by shajufx : 13th April 2009 at 18:43.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:48   #715
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have never heard of anyone deleting a file like that. To put it in simpler words, I upgraded my desktop version to 4.5 first, then connected the handset and upgraded without removing nor deleting anything. System initiated the restart, upgrade etc. and nothing was done from my side manually.
No there are certain instances (not apt for public discussion) where one has to delete the vendor files But yes for regular OS upgrade its definitely not required.

Shaju your steps are on spot, though i still would prefer to remove the sim and mem card out, just to avoid unpleasant surprises while upgrading mobile devices.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:04   #716
BHPian

Quote:
No there are certain instances (not apt for public discussion) where one has to delete the vendor files But yes for regular OS upgrade its definitely not required.

Shaju your steps are on spot, though i still would prefer to remove the sim and mem card out, just to avoid unpleasant surprises while upgrading mobile devices.
You can safely install a OS from a different provider (read cell phone company) onto a locked device if you delete the vendor.xml. Helps if your provider is slow in getting updates available.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:05   #717
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone help with a link for downloading the OS 5.0 for the BOLD? Is it stable? Should i wait for some user experience before upgrading to the same?

Also, should i download the .exe to my computer, then delete the vendor.xml file and then install the same on the phone?
Old 13th April 2009, 23:50   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Can someone help with a link for downloading the OS 5.0 for the BOLD? Is it stable? Should i wait for some user experience before upgrading to the same?

Also, should i download the .exe to my computer, then delete the vendor.xml file and then install the same on the phone?
5.0 is a bit sketchy as far as app support goes and is strictly early beta (which has not been leaked). You are better off with 247.

You read up on related stuff here:
OS Beta Discussion! - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

I generally download the OS, Install in on the box, delete the vendor.xml file and then run the loader.exe. Works most of the time.

edit: if you want to be brave here you go!
BlackBerry Bold OS 5.0.0.90 Found Online! | CrackBerry.com
Post your feedback so that I can think of updating

Last edited by mohit : 13th April 2009 at 23:55.
Old 13th April 2009, 23:52   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I dont want to get into a debate (again) but yes your opening statement is very apt.

Another point, to me BB still aint kewl since i need to like the gadget more than the image (i used to carry a communicator few years back when it came out, and used to be ridiculed by others for carrying a brick, iron box). Even if its free (BB) i might not pick it up yet Given a choice i would choose HTC new pro series, then E75/71 and as a final option only i would pick BB.

As far a B&T is concerned, i would suggest to list down users needs and prioritize in the mobile phone thread, and then some useful recommendation will come
Ok now your totally playing hardball. I can actually show you how a new gen BB is better then any HTC, Nokia & SE. Just simple tasks to other complex things can be done much quicker and easily on BB's.

A Mobile phone in today's world reflects the user. It matter what make/model it is. I am sure many people will agree with me here. There is always a personal choice and reason for choosing a particluar model. Otherwise all the phones today play music, have decent camera's and can do everything else as well. But some are better then the others.

B&T asked hows the BOLD and I just emphasized that its the flagship, even without BIS nothing comes close when build quality and other aspects.

And I aint just being crackheaded here, there is a reason that so many businesses worldwide choose BlackBerry over any other mobile solution. Its because its proven. It works and is secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I suggest you wait for just a little longer and check some reviews online. Read the tutorials on CrackBerry Forums.

@Shaju : Vertu's start from 1.2 LAKH!
Old 14th April 2009, 10:02   #720
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And I aint just being crackheaded here, there is a reason that so many businesses worldwide choose BlackBerry over any other mobile solution. Its because its proven. It works and is secure.
This is not entirely correct, and FYI enterprises are moving away from BB esp with the thrust from MS Exchange with its associated cost benefit. The push service is yet to mature though.

If you are observing closely, you will see how BB is also moving away from traditional business usage to general junta services, the UI, the app store all reflect this thinking, simple reason numbers have saturated and it aint all about BIS now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks