Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 11:25   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mohit, Quickdraw. If 5.0 is beta then i am not brave to weather the storm of installing that on my bold.

I reckon, will upgrade to .247 first and see how it works. Hope .247 makes the phone a bit more faster?
Old 14th April 2009, 12:50   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is not entirely correct, and FYI enterprises are moving away from BB esp with the thrust from MS Exchange with its associated cost benefit. The push service is yet to mature though.

If you are observing closely, you will see how BB is also moving away from traditional business usage to general junta services, the UI, the app store all reflect this thinking, simple reason numbers have saturated and it aint all about BIS now.
" The smartphone market is shaping up like a three-horse race in 2008. BlackBerry remains the leader, Windows Mobile continues to make slow and steady progress, and Apple has come out of nowhere with the hottest and most widely hyped product of the year to become a legitimate contender with the iPhone."

Source : TechRepublic

WinMo is no where even near the kind of market hold RIM has. They have absolutely established themselves in terms of business users and hence the next logical thing to do is to pursue new avenues the only thing left is the consumer market, and thats where the Storm and the Pearl 8220 come in.

Last edited by quickdraw : 14th April 2009 at 12:52.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:03   #723
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for all the help. The choice is made, 1 x HTC HD + 1 x Blackberry Bold.

@ quickdraw - The person wanted to buy the phone with bill, hence the B&O was out of question. And opted out of the iPhone since the HTC HD is a newer arrival, and hence less common.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 14th April 2009 at 14:04.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:16   #724
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
WinMo is no where even near the kind of market hold RIM has. They have absolutely established themselves in terms of business users and hence the next logical thing to do is to pursue new avenues the only thing left is the consumer market, and thats where the Storm and the Pearl 8220 come in.
thanks for the article but i was NOT referrring to the device, rather the MS exchange server!! And yes business users are also moving away since they want more, and hence BB is logically doing the right thing. Hope you are aware that BB is changing the whole email app to make it similar (functionality wise) to an exchange server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Thanks everyone for all the help. The choice is made, 1 x HTC HD + 1 x Blackberry Bold.

@ quickdraw - The person wanted to buy the phone with bill, hence the B&O was out of question. And opted out of the iPhone since the HTC HD is a newer arrival, and hence less common.
Good choice but i still dont get the logic of carrying 2 phones that too PDA size stuff when one can handle all the tasks, apart from 2 sims, which again can be handled by any other compact handset

For a change i would support the idea of NOT buying iPhone since there are strong indication that a new hardware also would be out this summer
Old 14th April 2009, 16:42   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
Good choice but i still dont get the logic of carrying 2 phones that too PDA size stuff when one can handle all the tasks, apart from 2 sims, which again can be handled by any other compact handset
I think the user will be able to stow them away in a large enough handbag. Besides that, as I have clearly indicated, there was anyway no logic or specific application behind the purchase of the phones to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
For a change i would support the idea of NOT buying iPhone since there are strong indication that a new hardware also would be out this summer
Yes, that was one of the reasons to drop the iPhone3G.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:21   #726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

B&O has a showroom at The Grand Hyatt (Kalina?)

Quote:
thanks for the article but i was NOT referrring to the device, rather the MS exchange server!! And yes business users are also moving away since they want more, and hence BB is logically doing the right thing. Hope you are aware that BB is changing the whole email app to make it similar (functionality wise) to an exchange server?
By email app you mean the application on the phone or BES? Because I doubt that I see any changes on my phone. Maybe BES is being changed at the administration level to support more platforms. So its better for BB and doesnt mean that people will be shifting to WinMo devices infact on the contrary its another reason to stay with BB. No matter what reason is given atleast in this environment its tried, tested and proven and its industry standard PERIOD.

Quote:
I think the user will be able to stow them away in a large enough handbag. Besides that, as I have clearly indicated, there was anyway no logic or specific application behind the purchase of the phones to begin with.
I reckon a lady has purchased the phones? If yes then please do get some beckymae custom housings for the Berry to make it more pink & bling.
Old 14th April 2009, 19:34   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
By email app you mean the application on the phone or BES? Because I doubt that I see any changes on my phone. Maybe BES is being changed at the administration level to support more platforms. So its better for BB and doesnt mean that people will be shifting to WinMo devices infact on the contrary its another reason to stay with BB. No matter what reason is given atleast in this environment its tried, tested and proven and its industry standard PERIOD.
Referring to device app, i was not talking about BES or BIS. egs of email app getting upgraded, first move enabling HTML, font edit, search in server (4.5 ver i guess) more stuff on the way . All these were available in many devices earlier itself. BES is being upgraded to support more platforms and include more features like pushing folder tree etc IIRC

Am not sure what you have or not have in your device, but wait for the new updates to come, if you still havent tried it.

My view: According to BB history it was originally a 2 way paging device (late 90's), which had its own set of limitations, americans loved pagers remember! They have come a long way since early 2000 when they introduced pda versions. They sold millions thanks to the no hassle text UI and convenience of Push connectivity. Enterprises got attracted thanks to security, (though patent lawsuit claimed the rights to some one else). Fast forward to present, 9 years and still lot of catching up to do

Enough said, so final conclusion, 35 to 40 grand then dont compromise get a BB! lol

ps: above are purely my personal views and info gathered from net, including various BB forums and wiki's over the last few months, and blame all this on shaju for not being able to use his trading app on a BB!
Old 14th April 2009, 21:09   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw
B&O has a showroom at The Grand Hyatt (Kalina?)
Sorry, I meant to say that it isn't 50k when buying with bill and warranty from those guys, so spending 80+k was out of question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw
I reckon a lady has purchased the phones? If yes then please do get some beckymae custom housings for the Berry to make it more pink & bling.
Sounds like a good idea. Where is this available?
Old 15th April 2009, 17:27   #729
BHPian

When my frustration was at its peak, that neither the upgrade was successful nor could I find another CDMA user, as a blessing in disguise, I got my hands on my cousin's Storm which she didn't like because of the touchscreen and had bought the Bold. It is a week old and I picked it up. Am cancelling the Blackberry services with Tata Indicom right away and have requested activation on my personal Airtel number for 299. Seems they are under some major system upgradation and any requests for any service will be done only from 16th onwards.

This is my first touchscreen phone, so I am finding it a bit difficult to get used to the SurePress tech. The interface is awesome and its super fast compared to my 8830. Call quality is also a lot better and ring tones are blasting at setting 7 out of 10. I am never even going to try the full 10. Maybe I am spoilt by the pathetically low sound of the 8830 which is an imminent unsolved problem with any 8830WE. Looking forward to a less frustrated ride with the Storm.
Old 15th April 2009, 18:32   #730
BHPian

Congratulations on the phone Deepak! Time to post the new PIN?
Old 15th April 2009, 21:47   #731
Team-BHP Support

Dont worry deepak, any touch screen phone will take a week or two max for you to get accustomed to, then everything will be fine. Congratz!
Old 16th April 2009, 12:13   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Congratulations on the phone Deepak! Time to post the new PIN?
Thanks mohit. The new PIN is 20c8fcd6

Quote:
Dont worry deepak, any touch screen phone will take a week or two max for you to get accustomed to, then everything will be fine. Congratz!
Yes. I hope so. Good that my cousin didn't have the patience to wait that long. Otherwise I wouldn't have laid my hands on it.
Old 16th April 2009, 23:35   #733
Senior - BHPian

@deepakchan, Congrats for STORM.
Old 17th April 2009, 04:20   #734
Senior - BHPian

Jaggu you really seem to detest BB's and you know that I love them. You're quoting things that have absolutly no relation to what I seem to be mentioning. So I guess ill stop this here, to each its own we guess. But I will and everyone who uses a BlackBerry here will swear by them. They are proipetory devices theres only one company that does the OS development the hardware and the backbone is controlled by it as well. Its really secure and has never let me down before. Thats what really matters. Quoting stuff from wiki wont help and I really dont want to get infracted again

@Deepak : The 8830 died on you, want to sell it to me ?

Final call for group buy. Please PM me or Mugan_Power.

@BT : www.beckymae.com I dont know if she ships to India though, but you can make a request.
Old 17th April 2009, 09:07   #735
BHPian

Ordered a Back door for my Bold from fommy (Fommy India #1 Store for Blackberry Accessories Dealer, Blackberry Accessories India, Blackberry Accessory Dealer India and Mobile Phones, BlackBerry, Treo, Bluetooth, Nokia, iPod, Motorola & Samsung Accessories). their service was prompt & got it in 2 days. Now tempted to pimp up the Bold with loads of accessories.

@quickdraw, u're right, once a Crackberry addict nothing can quite beat it. My neighbour has the iPhone & trust me, its ok until you start typing emails/docs/excel sheets. For the touch feel, i've got the iPod Touch 32GB so i use that for gaming (& the PSP too) & the Bold for work. Once you get used to the Bold i.e. the keyboard, the sound quality (frikkin' awesome), the crisp screen resolution, Wi-Fi, Google Maps, Fast Processor etc. you won't like to use any other Blackberry forget any other phone brand.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks