Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 21:54   #751
Senior - BHPian

Yes business demands it, but I would make myself a lazy bum if I depend too much on a BB rather than being online at work hours. Not only that, I am not able to run any business related softwares on my BB because of the 3rd party restrictions. So, I miserably find the limitations of a BB ! Spending for a BOLD may not change these limitations too, thats the saddest part.
Old 21st April 2009, 10:17   #752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Software upgrade improves the signal reception ? I never heard of such a thing. Are you serious ?
Yes it can if the update tweaks the wireless chips in someways.
Old 21st April 2009, 12:46   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Thats good news, are you noticing better signal reception as well?
Well, its too early to comment. Hope it improves. Will keep all posted. I was terrified in the beginning with low signal reception. I think the problem still exists. Let me check to be sure.

Quote:
@ Shaju : Yes it does improve reception. Its not about being rich or anything, if business demands something you spend on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes it can if the update tweaks the wireless chips in someways.
This is heartening news
Old 21st April 2009, 15:52   #754
BHPian

Quote:
You can assign anytime of message as "Level 1" be it E-Mail/SMS/PIN messages. You can find it under Messaging > Options. Its actually to define what kind of message to treat as first priority when yiu unlock/unholster the set.
Oh. Thats wonderful. I shall try that. Useful feature!

Quote:
I asked because AFAIK the 8830 is bricked, and hence would be of no use
No it is not bricked. Planning to use Tata Indicom's Insta Change card and use the ESN to register for my wife's connection and use it as a normal phone.

Quote:
Lots of upgrading happening here ??!! Deepak is still fighting minute issues I think. Please post it here deepak, experts or die-hard BB users could throw some light on almost everything.
Ok. Here goes my problem. I have subscribed to a yahoo groups which doesn't allow attachments and delivers digest email (25 messages or 1 day) whichever happens earlier. When I receive a full digest the message gets truncated beyond a point. When I was using 8830, when i scroll the trackball down, it will automatically fetch the remaining part of the mail again to a certain point, and this process repeats until the full email is downloaded. Since attachments aren't allowed in this group, it is fully text although in html format, it will not cross 200kB maximum. But this doesn't happen in the Storm, it just says message truncated and there is no data activity shown. Even if I swipe up and down a couple of times, still the same result. I tried searching forums through google, and the discussions are usually about receiving attachments more than 3MB/5MB. Which is not the case with me at all. There is no attachment and the size of the email itself is less than half an MB. I do not know what setting I should change to automatically fetch the remaining part of the email when I reach the bottom. Any ideas?

Could this be a limitation of the gmail forwarding server? One solution for an attachment problem in one of the forums was to forward the big mails to the mobileoperator.blackberry.com I created a filter for those digest mails in gmail to deliver them to my airtel.blackberry.com address. Let us see what happens when the next email comes.
Old 21st April 2009, 20:46   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
But this doesn't happen in the Storm, it just says message truncated and there is no data activity shown. Even if I swipe up and down a couple of times, still the same result.....Any ideas?
Would you mind giving the storm to me for a month, so that I can investigate the heart and soul of the 'storm' and educate you !
Old 21st April 2009, 21:25   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
... I do not know what setting I should change to automatically fetch the remaining part of the email when I reach the bottom. ...
Should in the menu of email: Messages Options > General Options > Actions > Auto More - set it to Yes.

Last edited by DerAlte : 21st April 2009 at 21:27.
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:30   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Should in the menu of email: Messages Options > General Options > Actions > Auto More - set it to Yes.
It is already set to Yes. Just checked. And the trick of forwarding digest messages to myusername@airtel.blackberry.com is also getting truncated beyond a point. I wonder how a text-only HTML mail (which doesn't even have much embedded images except for the Yahoo! logo) should get truncated when it is hardly 200KB :(

Quote:
Would you mind giving the storm to me for a month, so that I can investigate the heart and soul of the 'storm' and educate you !
Ahem..
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:35   #758
BHPian

After some extensive searching I found this on blackberryforums.

The official problem is available on blackberry.com/btsc Doc No. KB13677

Excerpts: The BlackBerry smartphone can receive a maximum of 32 KB of compressed data in the message body. This is by design.
Old 26th April 2009, 14:58   #759
BHPian

Blackberry 8310

Hi all!

On 20th of this month I sent a email to Airtel for the activation BISLITE Plan@299 and within a few hours I had it activated. Since the BlackBerry 8310 Curve I had ordered had not come by then I was using my old 7130G, which I had almost thrown it out!

Yesterday I got my Curve 8310 in hand and the first thing I did was upgrading my Device Software to v4.5.0.124 (Platform 2.7.0.92). The upgradation went on smoothly without any hitch and in around 40 minutes I was through. Other things, like downloading Contacts from Outlook and Service Books from Airtel BlackBerry account were just a breeze.
Old 26th April 2009, 16:41   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsolo27 View Post
Hi all!

On 20th of this month I sent a email to Airtel for the activation BISLITE Plan@299 and within a few hours I had it activated. Since the BlackBerry 8310 Curve I had ordered had not come by then I was using my old 7130G, which I had almost thrown it out!

Yesterday I got my Curve 8310 in hand and the first thing I did was upgrading my Device Software to v4.5.0.124 (Platform 2.7.0.92). The upgradation went on smoothly without any hitch and in around 40 minutes I was through. Other things, like downloading Contacts from Outlook and Service Books from Airtel BlackBerry account were just a breeze.
Congrats on your brand new berry, mind sharing how much you bought it for?
Old 27th April 2009, 13:08   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your brand new berry, mind sharing how much you bought it for?
Thanks. I don't mind sharing the price. I got it for 12.6K.

I need a clarification from Airtel BIS 299 Plan users. Airtel says I can either have BIS or Mobile Office, but not both, though I am ready to pay a rental for both. For Mobile Banking and certain other applications MO is very much required. They insist that I take BIS 899 Plan if I want MO and BIS together. How is it with Vodafone?
Old 27th April 2009, 14:25   #762
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone please tell me how to configure a Blackberry Bold for POP3 over Wi-Fi please? And I am unable to find the browser in the darn thing too.
Old 27th April 2009, 14:41   #763
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I need a clarification from Airtel BIS 299 Plan users. Airtel says I can either have BIS or Mobile Office, but not both, though I am ready to pay a rental for both. For Mobile Banking and certain other applications MO is very much required. They insist that I take BIS 899 Plan if I want MO and BIS together. How is it with Vodafone?
Welcome to the on going discussion. I have been breaking my head over the same question and since I did not get a clear answer, I decided not to go for a BB and opted for a Nokia E71 instead.

From what users have posted on this thread, you cant have any other data package active with the BIS 299 plan. Period. So forget the mobile banking/ticketing/FB applications.
Old 27th April 2009, 15:34   #764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can use all the functions you want with the BIS 899 plan, it includes unlimited everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Can anyone please tell me how to configure a Blackberry Bold for POP3 over Wi-Fi please? And I am unable to find the browser in the darn thing too.
Which BB did you buy? (Grey/w-bill?) Have you activated BIS on it? The push email service doesnt work over wi-fi you can download apps and use it or browse it manually online.
Old 27th April 2009, 17:24   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which BB did you buy? (Grey/w-bill?) Have you activated BIS on it? The push email service doesnt work over wi-fi you can download apps and use it or browse it manually online.
Blackberry Bold. It's not the official one, says T-Mobile. No Blackberry service either, because mail is not required 'on-the-move'.

Preferred option would be to use a client like Outlook on the phone, to check for the home/ office wireles network and to connect via POP3 and download new mail.

Second option is to access the email provider website, but.. where's the browser?

Most Viewed