Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 09:21   #826
Senior - BHPian

@ onesomeone:
Try using APN as 'airtelgprs.com' without any username & password. Options - Advanced Options - TCP - APN

@ Jaggu: Have been using DM 4.7 since Nov '08, it was released on 17th/18th Nov. '08.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:15   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
@ onesomeone:
Try using APN as 'airtelgprs.com' without any username & password. Options - Advanced Options - TCP - APN
Thanks Sukiwa will do that
Old 13th May 2009, 12:53   #828
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used the GPS function on a Pearl ? It requires an external GPS device with bluetooth as I understand. My co-brother bought a Nokia N79 which came with 3 months GPS free and loads of latest features with 5MP camera etc.

My doubt is: Even the BB models which comes with full GPS function (without requiring an external device) invites a monthly rental ? Please put some light on this friends. I never thought of anything other than google maps till I was picking up my co-brother last week. I was amazed at the voice navigation which was 100% accurate and specific throughout our drive home. I know its of no use when we drive around our regular areas, but very helpful while exploring city or outstation.

Last edited by shajufx : 13th May 2009 at 12:54.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:21   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the BB models which comes with full GPS function (without requiring an external device) invites a monthly rental ?
@ shajufx: Haven't seen any rentals for such devices. Generally, GPS devices have subscription costs included in device/product cost & don't carry any service cost/monthly rental. Some exceptions may exist.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:33   #830
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Just got the unlock code from Airtel yay! ... will be shifting to vodafone bb plan from my next billing cycle.

Using GPS for google maps doesn't carry any costs, but i think using WAYFINDER maps/navigation, comes at a month fee.

Last edited by aZa : 13th May 2009 at 13:34.
Old 13th May 2009, 13:58   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
sukiwa;1301354Generally, GPS devices have subscription costs included in device/product cost & don't carry any service cost/monthly rental.
Even my brother who is using the new nokia has the GPS only for 3 months, later he has to pay if he wants to retain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Just got the unlock code from Airtel yay! ... will be shifting to vodafone bb plan from my next billing cycle.
Using GPS for google maps doesn't carry any costs, but i think using WAYFINDER maps/navigation, comes at a month fee.
You are doing exactly what I did in January 2009. Getting unlock code from airtel, moving to vodafone etc. which is been posted here elaborately few pages back.

I thought Google maps is a different programme altogether. I have used it whenever I travelled, but it depends on the network towers available closest for mapping and it fails wherever network coverage is poor. GPS uses the satellites, therefore supposed to have a rental. If members could comment about the monthly cost, it would have been very useful.
Old 13th May 2009, 14:14   #832
Senior - BHPian

GPS does NOT have any rentals.

Its the navigation software which is sold for a rental (along with mapping upgrades).
Old 13th May 2009, 16:57   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any PIN sharing thread on TBHP?
You're looking at the thread share your pin or add me 258bf612. Me and mugen_power are very interested to do a group buy from cnn so lets take this offline and iron out the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
Wonder if someone can make a app for Team-BHP for BB. Just like we have Face Book.
You cant actually make a app for that, its not that simple. But I can make a T-BHP launcher app for a BB if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a BB Bold...I have subscribed for the Airtel 899 unlimited plan. I have an issue with browsing. I am able to only browse the WAP sites, for the other sites I am getting bad gateway error. Can I only browse WAP sites in this plan or I need to get this sorted with the service provider?
Which browser are you using, the one with the Globe is the correct one. I guess you are using the one which has a w@p symbol on the globe thats the GPRS browser and its not the right one. If it still doesnt work post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
@ onesomeone:
No Sukiwa he has activated the BIS the APN has nothing to do with the BIS plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Has anyone used the GPS function on a Pearl ? It requires an external GPS device with bluetooth as I understand. My co-brother bought a Nokia N79 which came with 3 months GPS free and loads of latest features with 5MP camera etc.

My doubt is: Even the BB models which comes with full GPS function (without requiring an external device) invites a monthly rental ? Please put some light on this friends. I never thought of anything other than google maps till I was picking up my co-brother last week. I was amazed at the voice navigation which was 100% accurate and specific throughout our drive home. I know its of no use when we drive around our regular areas, but very helpful while exploring city or outstation.
I used a external GPS puck with my 8100 for quite a while. With Google Maps it worked like a charm. Its way better then the internal GPS of any phone as its a dedicated device and hardly takes a couple of seconds to get full satellite lock.

The Navigation softwares are mostly chargable and have nothing to do with the GPS signals et all. Most of the Mapping sofware and other misc GPS software are free. So will work without a hitch. The actual GPS satellites and the GPS device are free to use. They just give you co-ordinate data but thats useless without the softwares for us.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:12   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I used a external GPS puck with my 8100 for quite a while. With Google Maps it worked like a charm.
Any brands buddy ? If you have tried different brands, please let me know the better quality. And I hope GPS has nothing to do with the data service subscription.

Last edited by shajufx : 13th May 2009 at 17:13.
Old 13th May 2009, 21:44   #835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... And I hope GPS has nothing to do with the data service subscription.
Nope, GPS has nothing to do with anything on earth and it is free. As long as you have a working GPS receiver, use the GPS satellites for FREE!
Old 14th May 2009, 01:12   #836
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Shaju you have a bold right ? it has a built in GPS. using GPS is free, its the navigation which costs. Another thing wayfinder maps are very accurate i beleive its MAP MY india. Changing route on nokia maps used to take a little while with the phone occasionally hanging up but over here its Smoooooth and fast. And very detailed maps.

Another thing i noticed when i pick up my bold, it lights up? motion sensor / accelerometer ? but the screen doesn't tilt ... err...

@Quickdraw : i'm adding you.

Guys another thing, There is a ANNUAL payment thing available with Airtel and Vodafone both. Its like 6K for Airtel and 7K for vodafone, for 12months of BIS/BES. Anyone here subscribing to this?

Last edited by aZa : 14th May 2009 at 01:15.
Old 14th May 2009, 03:59   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shaju you have a bold right ? it has a built in GPS. using GPS is free, its the navigation which costs. Another thing wayfinder maps are very accurate i beleive its MAP MY india. Changing route on nokia maps used to take a little while with the phone occasionally hanging up but over here its Smoooooth and fast. And very detailed maps.

Another thing i noticed when i pick up my bold, it lights up? motion sensor / accelerometer ? but the screen doesn't tilt ... err...

@Quickdraw : i'm adding you.

Guys another thing, There is a ANNUAL payment thing available with Airtel and Vodafone both. Its like 6K for Airtel and 7K for vodafone, for 12months of BIS/BES. Anyone here subscribing to this?
Shaju has a Pearl 8100

I did not get any request (yet)

Bold has a light sensor, and so do most Berries. It doesnt have the Tilt sensor (accelerometer) the Storm does.

I have no idea about that plan, care to share some more info.

Quote:
Any brands buddy ? If you have tried different brands, please let me know the better quality. And I hope GPS has nothing to do with the data service subscription.
Any cheap GPS puck/keychain works just fine trust me. No need to spend thousands here.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:00   #838
D-Man

I currently have the 8830(Jan 09) and I am thinking of buying the 8220. I went to the Voda store in sec 34; they dont have it yet. Any body here who has played with 8220?

Old 14th May 2009, 13:26   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Which browser are you using, the one with the Globe is the correct one. I guess you are using the one which has a w@p symbol on the globe thats the GPRS browser and its not the right one. If it still doesnt work post here.

Thanks quickdraw, the browsing works now...next step is using the GPS..:-)
Old 14th May 2009, 14:05   #840
BHPian

Another Problem. After having shifted to Vodafone from Airtel, i thought my problems would be over. But they just started & how! Vodafone first drew me to them with the promise of matching the Airtel plan. So i was put on the 899 Prosumer plan. now my bill for this month, even though i did not use it much has come to 3,300/- and data usage access to Vodafone live! is 1,700/-. So i went to the vodafone gallery who tell me that the 899 plan is not applicable to individuals and we will have to charge you 1099. Controlling myself & telling them i was drawn into vodafone with this promise itself, i relented and told them ok i'm ready to pay 1099. Just when i was getting up, the lady at the counter tells me that i will be charged 15paise per KB for internet usage. Now this just did it for me, i was totally fuming. I have cancelled all services on Vodafone. Thankfully i hadn't disconnected my Airtel number, so went straight to Airtel gallery and got my BB plan activated. Yes the same 899 Unlimited plan which includes unlimited browsing, unlimited data. Here is the bill attached.

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-vodafone1.jpg

Blackberry Phones and Services in India-vodafone2.jpg

Most Viewed