Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2009, 21:01   #916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Hello Blackberry Lovers,

I'd like all TBHP BB lovers to know the pain,frustration,trauma that i went through my first ever TBHP transaction with a popular member ( due to his knowledge on BB's-QUICKDRAW) of this thread.

I was excited to buy and use my first ever blackberry and during my search of which phone to buy ( budget was not a constraint), I decided on BB Bold. During my interaction/query session with Quickdraw, he offered to sell me his BB Bold which according to him was in mint,excellent,just out of the box type pristine condition

He told me it is used for 1-month and no bill and warranty. I agreed for an amount of Rs.23K for his handset. Then i saw a comment by Quickdraw himself somewhere on this thread, that 23K for a used BB is not worth paying, when approached him he brushes off with some convincing response. Deceit and ensuing ordeal commences here :

1. Since he is a tbhp member i decided to go ahead, Sometime during 1st week of April'09, I promptly transferred 23K to his account. When someone buys a phone without bill and warranty, even then the dealer writes on a piece of paper and gives you as his own guarantee ( i always got one like that), i asked him for that. He says, no i dont have any.

2. I recieve the handset in the promised time. When I received the handset, it had a few slight scratches on the borders of the phone. I kept quiet since it was not visible unless reviewed closely. Whereas he told me it was scratchless and in mint condition

3. Quickdraw sends me a Curve cover instead of BB Bold cover. Since last almost 2 months now, he has been promising to send me the cover, he hasn't sent it TILL DATE

4. He is most un-helpful individual i ever came cross in my life, when i ping him a query on BB messenger, he will never reply until midnight or early mornings when i am asleep. Maybe intentionally knowing what he has done.

5. Within the first 4-5 days, i realized the phone has a MAJOR SIGNAL RELATED ISSUE. The signal bar fluctates madly every 2-3 feet that i move around. I immediately brought this point to his notice and he quickly brushes off saying, during courier it may have fallen OR i may have dropped it on the ground OR i never faced that issue at all. Whereas, none of that ever happened.

6. Since then my life has taken a miserable turn. Majority of my work is done on phone. I typically have more than 15 hours of office calls to attend each week and with this issue i made an embarrassment of myself more than half dozen occasions.

Sometimes even in the middle of the city on the main street,the signal does not come. I take calls while driving from home-office-home. Imagine the calls get dropped regularly during a city drive. Several offices or restuarants that i visit, an SOS signal comes up. I even transferred my SIM to another friend's handset ( BB BOLD), it works perfectly in his phone. So the phone itself is faulty

7. I approached him and mentioned he intentionally palmed off a faulty phone and his response was curt and rude-i am not a dealer and i am not liable for whatever problem your facing with the phone. I never faced any such issue.

I tried reasoning with him for a few days and mentioned the following :-

1. I requested him to take the handset back and i even said reduce 3-4K from original amount and return the rest of the money since the handset is in as i received condition. To which he replies, i am not a dealer and i wont do any such thing

2. I requested him to atleast exchange. He is using a BB 8900 and he agreed to it but wants me to pay him Rs.6K additional apart from exchanging the BOLD. Is it fair? I told him, i am ready to accept BB 8900 ( even though it cost lesser) and take back the BOLD for no cost involved. He simply refused

3.Whenever i ping him to send the BB cover, he will reply back at 2am/3am, i am on vacation when i return to pune in a couple of weeks i will send it then. This is going on since last month and he never bothered to send the same.

QUICKDRAW'S MODUS OPERANDI ( It's my guess and maybe i am right)

a) He has a source ( stolen phones maybe--who knows) and buys BB phones OR from someone coming from abroad at a dirt cheap price. Gets it un-locked from a local dealer friend.

b) Abuse the phone for 1-3 months and looks for unsuspecting buyers like me and palm them off the abused phone. In my case, the phone itself was faulty so it was "intentional cheating"

c) Move on to the latest BB model in the market

I am just highlighting my experience so you guys are aware of this CHEAT and do not deal with him.

I am NOT going to respond to any of his justfications or clarifications to this post, as have done with him personally innumberable times in the past month but to no avail (Damage is already done and i have blown 23K down the drain)

I request the MODS to keep a close eye on "QUICKDRAW" as such people bring immense amount of bad reputation to his amazing forum.
Hi guys, internet is down at home. And I got a text from Avinash regarding the thread so I am logging in specially from a cybercafe to do the same. I have not been online since the last couple of days. So lets do this!

I will start by saying in all honesty that I am not a mobile phone dealer or anything, many members who know me personally from Pune know that I am crazy about BB's and I have always helped out anyone who has queries regarding berries over here and everywhere else, its my belief that this is something that I have knowledge of so I share and in return I got a lot of help when I was planning to buy tires, car etc from people who held knowledge of the same. I have sold many phones here and on other forums & websites as well. And I have never tried to cheat anyone and make a quick buck as its been said here.

Instead of responding to Avinash I would rather tell you what happened, he had contacted me about buying a handset and asked a couple of questions regarding the BOLD, I answered them. He then asked me if mine was for sale, I said sure ill hand it down to you for 23k. We did some haggling and stuff but I was firm on my price, I threw in a EXTRA OEM holster for the BOLD. Instead of a discount. We agreed and I sent him my bank details so he could transfer the money. The money didnt come through for a couple of days and in between I had interactions with him he asked me how old is the handset and loads of other questions I told him that its a month old, then later I get a call saying that I have posted a pic of the BOLD on this thread x months back I go online and see its my old Vodafone BOLD which a t-bhp member from Mumbai bought off me. I told him that this is another one. Lots of "making sure" and "reassuring" calls from him later I get the money in my a/c and I go and send the phone at 10PM in the night because I didnt want it to get delayed.

I get a call from him later and I am quoting exact words here "The phone is just like BRAND NEW" he thanks me and we're done. I always helped him with many things like apps to use and other stuff etc. One thing I remember that he said that the holster of the phone is tight, and because I had not used the holster at all I tell him that give it sometime and it will be ok. (Blackberry Holsters are a little tight when new and when worn in they are a perfect fit) One fine day he says that he had been to a t-bhp meet and he saw some other friends BOLD hoster was perfect fit and the one I sent was a lot smaller, so it stuck me and I said I must have sent him the Storm holster by mistake and request him that when I am back in Pune I will send him the correct one. In between there were many times we talked about OS upgrades. I got him support numbers and talked to RIM customer care as well. Instead of listening to me and calling them he goes to some dumb airtel guy who doesnt know anything and asks for 12k and go gurantees of repair? I mean what does that mean? The guy there had no idea what he was talking about and Avinash offloads on me. I take it all and kindly request him to go to the proper service centre/do a os upgrade and he doesnt listen. Infact when I enquired on the BB Support line they said it should get sorted out for like 800 bucks!

And then he says he doesnt want the handset, and asks me to refund his money and I am like buddy I am not some dealer or anything I cant just take it back I can offer you a swap if you feel like I have cheated you I am using a BB 8900 bought officially for 27k and he wants a straight swap with a grey market bold. Which is obviously worth a lot less money and that too its develped issues. But I still am ready to do it for the guys sake. Because I knew I will somehow sort out the issues with the Bold and it will all be ok. But no money on top? What logic is that?? I disagree to that and then he starts threatning me with t-bhp, I am like ok buddy go right ahead if you feel that way. And then he starts abusing me till no end with the choicest words, here I tell him firmly never to contact me again.

So what to take away from this is.

He was looking for a deal and he haggled a lot, and searched a lot and could not find a bold for 23k or less. Thats why he bought from me.

The phone was working fine (I was using it and my fellow t-bhpians always get my new pin when I change handsets and if it was having issues they would have known)

The phone obviously has been dropped by him or the courier or I dont know. Or maybe its just a software issue but since he doesnt listen to me I could not help him out.

I offered exchange, but he stopped talking sense and logic and started threatning and abusing to which there is no answer from my side. I was always polite and corteous. I did not cheat him or anyone.

The only thing I did wrong was send the wrong holster (but I had sent 2 in the first place) and that I offered to exchange FOC. So considering I am not some kind of dealer thats a lot I offered him but nothing could ever satisfy him maybe. IN the end I will clearly state the phone is without any warrenties (its a grey market phone) and I offered him exchanges and still he cries foul, says a lot about the person and what he is trying to achieve from the thread. If the phone had issues as soon as he got it he would have mentioned it to me but it developed issues later, I tried to help, be nice, lose my own money for him and this is what I get. I was not threatned by him and have people standing by my side who will vouch for me and my ethics. I will continue to be on the thread and be as helpful as ever, and will take any questions from anyone regarding this transaction publicly or privately (if mods feel that way)

Be careful people, lately I have been seeing that many folks are using t-bhp as a tool to defame people.
Old 28th May 2009, 21:42   #917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: I spoke to my cousin in Airtel an hour ago and he told me since my phone is an un-locked AT&T one. His team is trying to source the right software and upgrade it and hopefully the problem should get resolved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I was not threatned by him and have people standing by my side who will vouch for me and my ethics. I will continue to be on the thread and be as helpful as ever, and will take any questions from anyone regarding this transaction publicly or privately (if mods feel that way).
Looks like we have a solution already ! Hope we can continue with our usual discussions.
Old 28th May 2009, 22:13   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Alright, we have a reply. [/i]I will respond later, have some office calls to attend.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2009 at 23:09. Reason: Lets avoid name calling and direct personal attacks. You have been warned. Thanks
Old 28th May 2009, 23:11   #919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update: I spoke to my cousin in Airtel an hour ago and he told me since my phone is an un-locked AT&T one. His team is trying to source the right software and upgrade it and hopefully the problem should get resolved.
You dont need any help from airtel for this, goto BB site and download the firmware for AT&T, thats all. Might work out, if there are some specific stuff for handsets produced for this region
Old 28th May 2009, 23:34   #920
BHPian

today i went to Mobile hot spot to look out for blackberry handsets mainly BOLD and 8900 .Only javelin was present in stock for 27K box packed.when i saw box ,it was written original unlocked device ,will work with any carrier Vodafone,reliance,airtel.But also it was Made in Mexico and was with 1 yr warranty.

Does BB handsets made in mexico are also authentic???
Old 28th May 2009, 23:39   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
today i went to Mobile hot spot to look out for blackberry handsets mainly BOLD and 8900 .Only javelin was present in stock for 27K box packed.when i saw box ,it was written original unlocked device ,will work with any carrier Vodafone,reliance,airtel.But also it was Made in Mexico and was with 1 yr warranty.

Does BB handsets made in mexico are also authentic???
I saw my first Made in Mexico blackberry over the weekend too. It was a Pearl Flip. Looks like RIM just started manufacturing handsets out there.
Old 29th May 2009, 00:18   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will start by saying in all honesty that I am not a mobile phone dealer or anything, many members who know me personally from Pune know that I am crazy about BB's and I have always helped out anyone who has queries regarding berries over here and everywhere else, its my belief that this is something that I have knowledge of so I share and in return I got a lot of help when I was planning to buy tires, car etc from people who held knowledge of the same. I have sold many phones here and on other forums & websites as well. And I have never tried to cheat anyone and
make a quick buck as its been said here.
If your not a dealer then what are you doing selling phones every now and then? It is noted in classified section that you keep selling phones that you use and then move on to a different one.

Quote:
I get a call from him later and I am quoting exact words here "The phone is just like BRAND NEW" he thanks me and we're done.
I never said anything about the cosmetic condition of the phone. I agree with you it looked as if almost new. Except for a few scratches on the top left and right corner which was visible if you look closely

Like I mentioned before, i would have lived with scratches on phone, screen, keyboard issues but you expect me to live with not making and receiving a phone call?

Quote:
I always helped him with many things like apps to use and other stuff etc. One thing I remember that he said that the holster of the phone is tight, and because I had not used the holster at all I tell him that give it sometime and it will be ok. (Blackberry Holsters are a little tight when new and when worn in they are a perfect fit) One fine day he says that he had been to a t-bhp meet and he saw some other friends BOLD hoster was perfect fit and the one I sent was a lot smaller, so it stuck me and I said I must have sent him the Storm holster by mistake and request him that when I am back in Pune I will send him the correct one. In between there were many times we talked about OS upgrades. I got him support numbers and talked to RIM customer care as well. Instead of listening to me and calling them he goes to some dumb airtel guy who doesnt know anything and asks for 12k and go gurantees of repair? I mean what does that mean? The guy there had no idea what he was talking about and Avinash offloads on me. I take it all and kindly request him to go to the proper service centre/do a os upgrade and he doesnt listen. Infact when I enquired on the BB Support line they said it should get sorted out for like 800 bucks!
I just asked you 1-2 queries and you did respond with your feedback, i dont deny that. but, you never got me any RIM numbers or talked to any customer care on my behalf, thats completely untrue. When the actual problem cropped up what happened to your helpful attitude?

Any query related to signal, you would always respond in the dead of the night. And, when i tried calling you, you would immediately hang up saying i am busy and will call you later. But, never called you. So getting hold of you for a proper conversation was impossible.

What about the Bold cover? you have been promising to send it from last month and keep saying, i am on vacation and will send it when you return to pune.

But,you have time to distribute your gyan on this thread almost DAILY ( i doubt if you really were on vacation to some place) but no time to send me the cover?

I have sent a PM within the first week of getting the phone that it has signal issues. And, i never dropped the phone till date ( for that matter never dropped a phone in my life) and you casually ask me to go check with a BB center and they should resolve the issue?

Did i buy the phone to run around BB centers? I expected a fully functional phone and not a faulty one. You should have highlighted this to me before you sold this and this situation would never have cropped up.

Quote:
And then he says he doesnt want the handset, and asks me to refund his money and I am like buddy I am not some dealer or anything I cant just take it back I can offer you a swap if you feel like I have cheated you I am using a BB 8900 bought officially for 27k and he wants a straight swap with a grey market bold. Which is obviously worth a lot less money and that too its develped issues. But I still am ready to do it for the guys sake. Because I knew I will somehow sort out the issues with the Bold and it will all be ok. But no money on top? What logic is that?? I disagree to that and then he starts threatning me with t-bhp, I am like ok buddy go right ahead if you feel that way. And then he starts abusing me till no end with the choicest words, here I tell him firmly never to contact me again.
Can anyone retain their cool after facing such horrible issues with a phone i just paid 23k for and no resolution visible except either me spending my office time running around finding a solution or pay up to BB center for whatever is the problem with it.

If you really meant what you were saying, you would have swapped your phone and if your behaviour was courteous, i may have even paid up a price in between the 6K you asked. But, you know how you behaved. Pay 6k along with the Bold or take a hike type of tone. Then i realized your intention was not correct in the first place.

Quote:

So what to take away from this is.

He was looking for a deal and he haggled a lot, and searched a lot and could not find a bold for 23k or less. Thats why he bought from me.

The phone was working fine (I was using it and my fellow t-bhpians always get my new pin when I change handsets and if it was having issues they would have known)

The phone obviously has been dropped by him or the courier or I dont know. Or maybe its just a software issue but since he doesnt listen to me I could not help him out.

I offered exchange, but he stopped talking sense and logic and started threatning and abusing to which there is no answer from my side. I was always polite and corteous. I did not cheat him or anyone.
1. You asked 24K and I told you i was getting a brand new unlocked from ebay for 26K so asked you for 22K and we settled for 23K. Does that sound haggling to you or anyone else?

2. I am not interested to know that all your past transactions have had a happy ending. Mine was nightmarish !!!!!!!!!!

3. As mentioned before, neither the package i received was un-opened nor have i dropped it once. If you wish to harp on this point to shy away from your guilt, feel free to do so.

4. I let the BB users on this thread answer this query.

2-month old BOLD + 6K = A used BB 8900. I dare someone to say this is a DECENT DEAL?

Also if according to you the supposedly "developed signal issue" was so trivial and could have been fixed in Rs.800? why didn't you take it back for 20K or even I was to part with it for 19K?

Quote:
The only thing I did wrong was send the wrong holster (but I had sent 2 in the first place) and that I offered to exchange FOC. So considering I am not some kind of dealer thats a lot I offered him but nothing could ever satisfy him maybe. IN the end I will clearly state the phone is without any warrenties (its a grey market phone) and I offered him exchanges and still he cries foul, says a lot about the person and what he is trying to achieve from the thread. If the phone had issues as soon as he got it he would have mentioned it to me but it developed issues later, I tried to help, be nice, lose my own money for him and this is what I get. I was not threatned by him and have people standing by my side who will vouch for me and my ethics. I will continue to be on the thread and be as helpful as ever, and will take any questions from anyone regarding this transaction publicly or privately (if mods feel that way)
If you sent a wrong holster, did you correct your mistake? Our conversation turned non-flowery only about a couple of days ago? So why and what is the reason for delay in you sending it since the past 1.5 months? No intentions..huh?

Quote:
Be careful people, lately I have been seeing that many folks are using t-bhp as a tool to defame people.
You are right. I have learnt a big lesson from this transaction and will NEVER ever deal with strangers again. Are you a national treasure that by defaming you i will become popular?

Closing words, I did not post my experience to :-

1. Defame Quickdraw
2. I outlined my experience with him to warn other potential buyers so they judge better before taking a plunge considering my completely unpleasant experience
3. I bought the phone to enjoy its experience not to defame the seller nor running around fixing its problem
4. Finally, whatever Quickdraw says maybe be fine with him. Ultimately, i am the one experiencing the issues and i will just consider it my bad luck and my money down the drain.

I will take care of this problem myself and will not find me posting other word about this issue.

Let the thread's original purpose continue and thanks to all of you for lending your ears.
Old 29th May 2009, 01:03   #923
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a feeling the signal issue is a firmware thing, i've been reading similar stories on a few bb forums. Lets wait for the AT&T firmware hope it will better out the reception. And the Holster of my BOLD was also tight, but then i got a replacement from airtel. Same Shape but slightly loose. The OEM case is known to rip the chrome of the BEZEL coz of the "tightness".

@ Mobike008 : I hope the matter gets resolved. And you have a properly functioning BB BOLD.
Old 29th May 2009, 10:44   #924
Team-BHP Support

For AT&T or anyother service provider specific firmware go to this link and download BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
Old 29th May 2009, 12:43   #925
Senior - BHPian

Signal issue on a BB handset could crop up on any model without any reason. I know atleast 4 of my close friends who are using various models. They all faced this issue atleast once, some upgraded the firmware and corrected. Some of them had to change phones.

My Pearl 8120 still has this issue once a while. I had upgraded the firmware but the issue still appears. Once I saw the red 'SOS' letters on the screen when being inside Columbia Asia Hospital and it appears the same whenever I go to the basement of huge buildings, sometimes inside lifts too. The heart breaking part was when my wifee's sony ericsson showed full range when mine was showing 'SOS' in a building. I am used to it, so not planning to change the handset for a while. But, mine is a not a permanent issue, it comes only in some areas or buildings.
Old 29th May 2009, 13:31   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Signal issue on a BB handset could crop up on any model without any reason. I know atleast 4 of my close friends who are using various models. They all faced this issue atleast once, some upgraded the firmware and corrected. Some of them had to change phones.

My Pearl 8120 still has this issue once a while. I had upgraded the firmware but the issue still appears. Once I saw the red 'SOS' letters on the screen when being inside Columbia Asia Hospital and it appears the same whenever I go to the basement of huge buildings, sometimes inside lifts too. The heart breaking part was when my wifee's sony ericsson showed full range when mine was showing 'SOS' in a building. I am used to it, so not planning to change the handset for a while. But, mine is a not a permanent issue, it comes only in some areas or buildings.
Does this means evey BB has poor signal reception as compared to nokia's?
Another issue with BB will make me rethink bout getting one for myself
Old 29th May 2009, 14:35   #927
D-Man

i have a 8830 which is CDMA + GSM. Now the signal fades away many a times for good 2-3 seconds. When this happens 'insert sim card' comes up. I am so fed up with this 8830 that i regret the day i paid 30k for it. I have used a similar 8830 with 'sprint' in USA which never gave me issues. This is due to 'TATA Indicom'.

Maverick - I would yet never go for a Nokia. Lets put it this way take the best Nokia still cant beat the performance of a BB. I tested the e75 it suxs. Why do Nokia phones come with 'Blackberry Connect' and not other wise.

Old 29th May 2009, 15:18   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
i have a 8830 which is CDMA + GSM. Now the signal fades away many a times for good 2-3 seconds. When this happens 'insert sim card' comes up. I am so fed up with this 8830 that i regret the day i paid 30k for it. I have used a similar 8830 with 'sprint' in USA which never gave me issues. This is due to 'TATA Indicom'.

Maverick - I would yet never go for a Nokia. Lets put it this way take the best Nokia still cant beat the performance of a BB. I tested the e75 it suxs. Why do Nokia phones come with 'Blackberry Connect' and not other wise.
D-Man
good one thr m still not able to undertand why BB users are so much addicted to device,waiting to feel the same .
Old 29th May 2009, 15:37   #929
Senior - BHPian

Signal issue is not a permanent complaint in most BB phones. It comes and goes whenever it pleases. It could be network related, firmware related or user-luck related. Yet to find the reason. I was worried when I saw my phone showing red signal range and SOS letters for the first time, but I got relieved when some of my friends told me about the same issue in different BB handsets.
Old 29th May 2009, 16:08   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
For AT&T or anyother service provider specific firmware go to this link and download BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
thanks for the link. Should i select AT&T ? If yes, after that it gives 4 different options for download? which one to select? Please advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Guys i have a feeling the signal issue is a firmware thing, i've been reading similar stories on a few bb forums. Lets wait for the AT&T firmware hope it will better out the reception. And the Holster of my BOLD was also tight, but then i got a replacement from airtel. Same Shape but slightly loose. The OEM case is known to rip the chrome of the BEZEL coz of the "tightness".

@ Mobike008 : I hope the matter gets resolved. And you have a properly functioning BB BOLD.
Thanks aZa, hope my phone come back with signal issue resolved, i will know sometime mid next week. Until then i am back to my Sony Erickson phone. I feel like i have gone back a decade now

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
D-Man
good one thr m still not able to undertand why BB users are so much addicted to device,waiting to feel the same .
I cannot talk like an expert. I have used a BB for about 1.5 months and i am already hooked on to it. In future, it will only be a BB phone for me.

However, be aware about a major drawback with a BB phone, It can drive your wife to file for a divorce

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Signal issue is not a permanent complaint in most BB phones. It comes and goes whenever it pleases. It could be network related, firmware related or user-luck related. Yet to find the reason. I was worried when I saw my phone showing red signal range and SOS letters for the first time, but I got relieved when some of my friends told me about the same issue in different BB handsets.
In my recent trip to Mahabaleshwar ( details on travelogue section), i just kept my phone in hotel room for 3 days. Since in entire M'bay it was showing SOS while i see other people are happily talking on their phones. Essentially my phone was dead for 3 days due to lack of signal, that was terrifying !!!!

Most Viewed