Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 17:39   #931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
thanks for the link. Should i select AT&T ? If yes, after that it gives 4 different options for download? which one to select? Please advice
I'd try the first one:
# Applications: 4.6.0.167
# Software Platform: 4.0.0.217

Link here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...9CD4263967CFA3
Old 29th May 2009, 18:24   #932
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
D-Man
good one thr m still not able to undertand why BB users are so much addicted to device,waiting to feel the same .
Its worth every trouble you have to go through. Lets put it this way BB is a tuner and all others are stock options lol (had to use a bhp termi). IMO if you go with the right carrier you wont face issues. Part of the problem most customers face in India:

1. Tech support is really dumb, you have to actually guide them
2. Our networks are not yet capable to take full advantage of BB's
3. point 2 again + providers like TATA (pst heard bsnl came with one lol)

The 8830 is a EVDO phone yet we dont have it here. I have watched live TV on a 8830. Wonder when companies like TATA shall come up with a option. BTW TATA; according to me has the best plan though. The only thing that still attracts me to a W%$#@

Edit : Mobike is right - you can get divorced due to a BB. IT IS TRUE!. In my own married life I have been yelled at many a times for constantly flipping the screen of my BB (coz there is so much goin on ). My wife always got annoyed with this. The solution is easy, I got her a BB to experience what I have been trying to convey but could not find words for it. She is addicted too!

So Mobike if you are facing the same issues; please get her a Blackberry and she will realize.

Last edited by D-Man : 29th May 2009 at 18:31.

Old 29th May 2009, 19:49   #933
BHPian

@mobike008,D-Man

lolz i think its better i should try this rite now as m still single i have to get only on BB handset instead of two.
Old 29th May 2009, 19:57   #934
D-Man

you bet maverick! personal recommendation is get Airtel and unlocked BB. Even though I like TATA's plan I am in a love hate relationship where I love it just because of the offered talk time. I have heard complains on Voda coverage. So, if you have an unlocked one you can test both and keep the one you like.

Old 29th May 2009, 20:32   #935
BHPian

yep even im trying to get an unlocked one else again i have to shell out 800 bucks for unlocking
My brother works with Airtel so maybe he can get my BB issues resolved if any,though im keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 29th May 2009, 21:32   #936
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, be aware about a major drawback with a BB phone, It can drive your wife to file for a divorce

Aah! was wondering inspite of so many pages and posts, how come no one was facing the problem!

So very true. I bought my wife a Sony PSP, she found BB too complex
Old 29th May 2009, 21:55   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
So Mobike if you are facing the same issues; please get her a Blackberry and she will realize.
Please dont buy from Pune this time. Try an unlocked one from a dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
personal recommendation is get Airtel and unlocked BB.....I have heard complains on Voda coverage. So, if you have an unlocked one you can test both and keep the one you like.
I have already tested both Airtel and Vodafone. You will find all those details in the first few pages here. Voda coverage might have a problem, I agree, but I had horrible issues with Airtel, so I am sticking to the lesser evil now !

Quote:
else again i have to shell out 800 bucks for unlocking.
I got my unlocking from Airtel FREE ! It was posted in this thread elaborately.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:20   #938
BHPian

can anyone tell if i opt for 899 unlimited plan can i use BB service on Airtel network while on national roaming
Old 30th May 2009, 00:39   #939
aZa
Senior - BHPian

I bought my BOLD from Airtel and i used their BIS plan for about 20days and got an unlock code . Then i shifted to VODA as my primary fone numbers are vodafone. And now if i compare the service i think they are pretty much the same. 3-4 vodafone Cust. Support ppl have called me to help me out with the settings and all even though i didn't need it. Airtel Support was ok, getting through the 7070 line wasn't easy though. The Speeds i get on the fone is similar too.

Now coming to Nokia and BB, i think Nokias are excellent when it comes to reception and quality of service in terms of menu, t9 implementation, voice quality etc. But I always felt that running fring(for example) 24/7 on my N series or E series phone was a bit of burden. Sometimes the application will not refresh, or sometimes it would get disconnect and not reconnect.

After talking for a longer period applications using the net would not reconnect reliably, like while using the email system on my E-Series, after a long call, the messaging app may or maynot fetch the emails from the servers. Usually it did... but i can recall many instances when it didn't.

Using a crackberry, Communication has never been so easy, as soon as i get off the call, i get alerts for emails/im/fb whatever. This is just amazing. Stock updates, rss and all. The Signal strenght on my bold is as good as the Nokia E-series, infact i've had issues with Nokias with signal dropping to zero and coming back up during a call. But none "yet" with the BB. The ear peice volume is ample loud.

Since i use two fones , one of them is always gonna be a bberry now. Other one a camerafone

cheers
Old 30th May 2009, 00:58   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Avi, keeping all the emotions aside (i know your pain and we are fully with you buddy) I have a couple of questions.

I am not going topost them on the forum, will keep them for Saturday's meet. All I will say is that if you have the right answers to my quesitions, trust me, we will roger QD's happiness to kingdom come, sinc ewhat he has done is illegal in more ways than he can even begin to imagine. In his quest to make a quick buck, he has landed himself in hot soup, and trust me, we will get to the bottom of this, even if it means a trip to Pune.

P.S. all remedies that I will suggest to you are well within the confines of law.
+1 to that. Quickdraw's 'reaction' here does not inspire any confidence. I agree with Mobike that QD seems to be taking him for a ride. Heck man, I bargain, haggle etc. when buying bananas if I was paying 20K I'd haggle till doomsday comes.

Himanshu has hit the nail on the head when he says that QD seems to have broken more than just a few laws.

About the note to Mods to keep an eye on QD, I think they are already doing so thanks to his abrasive posts in several other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Guys i have a feeling the signal issue is a firmware thing, i've been reading similar stories on a few bb forums. Lets wait for the AT&T firmware hope it will better out the reception. And the Holster of my BOLD was also tight, but then i got a replacement from airtel. Same Shape but slightly loose. The OEM case is known to rip the chrome of the BEZEL coz of the "tightness".

@ Mobike008 : I hope the matter gets resolved. And you have a properly functioning BB BOLD.
As Suren pointed out, we tried Mobike's phone and SIM card within the first few days of QD selling it to him. Other BBs worked fine and his SIM worked fine in other phones. It seems the phone came to him with the problem. If so, QD should have warned him or given him a discount and not haggled with Mobike and stuck to his price. QD sounds like a dealer more than an enthusiast. He offers a 'holster' instead of a 'discount' lol this is the kind of language that a regular dealer uses.

All the above being said, no reason to lose faith in strangers, there might be a few bad apples but we do get decent guys too.

Cheers,
Old 30th May 2009, 12:39   #941
Senior - BHPian

Coming back on track.

I don't whether this is correct or wrong - I need your help guys.

I was on the 899 plan on Airtel - I dis-connected the BB service on the Airtel number. Later I dis-connected the Airtel connection too.

Now yesterday I activated the 299 plan on my Vodafone number. But I have yet to set up any email ids.

But since yesterday I have began receiving mails on all 5 email ids that I had configured on blackberry . airtel . in !

Is it possible ? Even the email id gautam at blackberry . airtel . com is configured on the Vodafone number !
Old 30th May 2009, 16:26   #942
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can anyone tell if i opt for 899 unlimited plan can i use BB service on Airtel network while on national roaming
It does not matter if you are on 899 or 299 plan, you can use the BB services throughout India without any extra charges, provided the towers near you should be EDGE enabled. I travel a lot, not every tower is EDGE enabled, in such places you might find the GPRS or gprs displayed on your screen. Bit of googling will make the terms clear to you, in case you want technical details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I was on the 899 plan on Airtel - I dis-connected the BB service on the Airtel number. Later I dis-connected the Airtel connection too.
Now yesterday I activated the 299 plan on my Vodafone number. But I have yet to set up any email ids.
But since yesterday I have began receiving mails on all 5 email ids that I had configured on blackberry . airtel . in !
Is it possible ? Even the email id gautam at blackberry . airtel . com is configured on the Vodafone number !
I have walked through the same path in January 2009. I had cancelled the airtel BB and number before moving to vodafone. My airtel BB configuration was on airtel.blackberry.com which was closed at the time of cancellation.

Activating vodafone BB service, I had to configure all my emails to mobileemail.vodafone.in which was done in 10 mts and I started getting mail delivery in few minutes.

So, your case sounds very weird, because you are already on vodafone and getting emails that were configured on airtel. May be you have to call up the vodafone BB support and ask them to help you out. It might require a deactivation of airtel configuration of your emails which vodafone support guys will do directly.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:33   #943
BHPian

Has anyone noticed Major outage on Reliance Blackberry since last night.

My blackberry is not getting mails since midnight, its almost 15 hours of outage, called up customer care this morning as i doubt its only my problem, but CC confirmed there's some problem with the Reliance Blackberry services.
Old 30th May 2009, 16:59   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Even the email id gautam at blackberry . airtel . com is configured on the Vodafone number !
You have disconnected Airtel, but Airtel has not completely disconnected you! Probably the deprovisioning process at Airtel does not include canceling / deleting the email id. Enjoy - it will take a while before the sysadmin gremlins do spring cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
... provided the towers near you should be EDGE enabled. ... you might find the GPRS or gprs displayed on your screen.
No, EDGE is not mandatory. GPRS will get you mails, gprs won't.
Old 30th May 2009, 17:15   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your not a dealer then what are you doing selling phones every now and then? It is noted in classified section that you keep selling phones that you use and then move on to a different one.
I keep changing a lot of phones, that does not mean I am a dealer man! You say I move on to a different one in a sense like I kill someone then move on to the next kill. I know a lot of people just like me who keep changing a lot of phones, that doesnt make them a dealer.

Quote:
I never said anything about the cosmetic condition of the phone. I agree with you it looked as if almost new. Except for a few scratches on the top left and right corner which was visible if you look closely

Like I mentioned before, i would have lived with scratches on phone, screen, keyboard issues but you expect me to live with not making and receiving a phone call?
Why would anyone live with physical damage on the phone. I keep my devices in pristine condition because I sell them often. It never had any issues when I was using it. Thats why I mentioned it strongly and have been saying this to you via messenger and on this thread also. Get a firmware upgrade or the phone has taken a fall. (Either by you or during transit.) PERIOD.

Quote:
I just asked you 1-2 queries and you did respond with your feedback, i dont deny that. but, you never got me any RIM numbers or talked to any customer care on my behalf, thats completely untrue. When the actual problem cropped up what happened to your helpful attitude?

Any query related to signal, you would always respond in the dead of the night. And, when i tried calling you, you would immediately hang up saying i am busy and will call you later. But, never called you. So getting hold of you for a proper conversation was impossible.
I had talked to a friend about this problem on the BOLD, he works at the service centre (indipendent) and mentioned its a common problem with it and costs around 800 bucks to fix. Other people who have been using berries will agree the old mini usb based devices also has issues over long periods of time the jack used to stop working (because of the constant instering and removing of charger/usb) and also there are issues with the old white trackball over prolonged periods of time.

1800-4253-720 is the number I gave you, easily available through a very simple google search which will land you to BlackBerry - BlackBerry Support | Knowledge Base, Product Documentation Software & Support Programs

Quote:
What about the Bold cover? you have been promising to send it from last month and keep saying, i am on vacation and will send it when you return to pune.

But,you have time to distribute your gyan on this thread almost DAILY ( i doubt if you really were on vacation to some place) but no time to send me the cover?
I actually am on vacation man, I just graduated so I deserve to roam around aimlessly till I join the workers life and slog it out like everyone else! Sitting online isnt a crime is it? I have always been helping people out here and I love being on t-bhp like everyone else. The cover is sitting in Pune and I am in Daman right now. So thats why I havent sent it to you yet. Thats the only mistake I did, and it isnt like I promised something and didnt give it to you. I just accidently sent you the wrong one.

Quote:
I have sent a PM within the first week of getting the phone that it has signal issues. And, i never dropped the phone till date ( for that matter never dropped a phone in my life) and you casually ask me to go check with a BB center and they should resolve the issue?
I have reccomended a barrage of options to you always, from upgrading firmware to getting in touch with the official BB support centre and not the dumb *** people at AirTel. But you choose to ignore simple logic and instead keep blaming that I ignored you? What can I do after a x amount of times I tell you to do something and you dont do it! And congratulations I think you should contact Guniess people or something to get that record verified!

Quote:
Did i buy the phone to run around BB centers? I expected a fully functional phone and not a faulty one. You should have highlighted this to me before you sold this and this situation would never have cropped up.

Can anyone retain their cool after facing such horrible issues with a phone i just paid 23k for and no resolution visible except either me spending my office time running around finding a solution or pay up to BB center for whatever is the problem with it.

If you really meant what you were saying, you would have swapped your phone and if your behaviour was courteous, i may have even paid up a price in between the 6K you asked. But, you know how you behaved. Pay 6k along with the Bold or take a hike type of tone. Then i realized your intention was not correct in the first place.
The phone was working absolutely perfectly like I said. An issue did crop up and I tried in every way humanly possible to help you out. But you choose to ignore simple logic and instead keep blaming me for a SECOND HAND GREY MARKET PHONE! What BB centre you went to some airtel chap who asked you for 12k and no gurantees! Damn you should have instigated him then and there.

Take a hike type of tone? Boss you used the choiciest desi abuses on me, and I choose to still respond to me here.

Quote:
1. You asked 24K and I told you i was getting a brand new unlocked from ebay for 26K so asked you for 22K and we settled for 23K. Does that sound haggling to you or anyone else?

2. I am not interested to know that all your past transactions have had a happy ending. Mine was nightmarish !!!!!!!!!!

3. As mentioned before, neither the package i received was un-opened nor have i dropped it once. If you wish to harp on this point to shy away from your guilt, feel free to do so.
You haggled man, and I dont blame you or anyone looking for a good deal. Who wouldnt? I never forced you to buy from me. I should have canned the deal the moment you dug up my old Bold pics on this very thread and blamed me for the phone being couple of months old. When I had clearly mentioned that this was a grey market piece and that was a Voda piece.

Courier people dont handle packages like infants they throw them around, and I suspect thats when it got damaged. Because when it was with me it didnt even have a microscopic scratch. Like the one you suddenly seem to mention now.

Quote:
4. I let the BB users on this thread answer this query.

2-month old BOLD + 6K = A used BB 8900. I dare someone to say this is a DECENT DEAL?
You just mentioned above that around 2 months back you were getting a Grey Market unlocked bold for 26k right? And the Javelin (official unlocked)I bought for 27k. You bought yours for 23k. So 6k is a fair difference I came up with. Because my phone is worth more right now and I was ready to take back the Bold you had and claimed issues with. Its like buying a second hand car from a car dealer and when it develops issues you ask him to swap it for a new one in his stock!
Quote:
Also if according to you the supposedly "developed signal issue" was so trivial and could have been fixed in Rs.800? why didn't you take it back for 20K or even I was to part with it for 19K?

If you sent a wrong holster, did you correct your mistake? Our conversation turned non-flowery only about a couple of days ago? So why and what is the reason for delay in you sending it since the past 1.5 months? No intentions..huh?
Because sherlock I told you I am not some kind of dealer that I but and keep a phone and try and sell it to someone. I sell the phoens I use myself and I offered you the only possibility at the time. My Javelin. Which you wanted for free. And when you started abusing me, I frankly didnt care and politely asked you to post on t-bhp and never contact me again.

Quote:

I will take care of this problem myself and will not find me posting other word about this issue.
This is the second time you are promising this on this thread! Learn to stick to your word man.

See ill be honest with everyone here its a basic case of human behaviour. Guy was looking for a deal and he got one. It is quite obvious otherwise I see no reason he would have bought from me unless I was offering a killer price. And added assurance that I am a genuine guy as he saw I was helping everyone out here as well. One fine day he gets some kind of a problem on a second hand phone he bought from me with no sort of warrenty whatsoever. I still try and help be nice. Talk logic and he chooses not to listen and then threaten me by this. If I knew I did wrong I would do anything desperate to cover my behind. But I dont because I know I havent done wrong, and I couldnt care less its not like its going to hurt my business or anything. I am honestly thinking about opening a Blackberry store now though .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Signal issue on a BB handset could crop up on any model without any reason. I know atleast 4 of my close friends who are using various models. They all faced this issue atleast once, some upgraded the firmware and corrected. Some of them had to change phones.
Yes and its more because of the Operator and not the device iteself.

Quote:
Yes anywhere anytime, stay on the operator (AirTel) regional network though. It would be seamless and without any extra charge. Also a good way to kill time while travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
+1 to that. Quickdraw's 'reaction' here does not inspire any confidence. I agree with Mobike that QD seems to be taking him for a ride. Heck man, I bargain, haggle etc. when buying bananas if I was paying 20K I'd haggle till doomsday comes.

Himanshu has hit the nail on the head when he says that QD seems to have broken more than just a few laws.

About the note to Mods to keep an eye on QD, I think they are already doing so thanks to his abrasive posts in several other threads.

As Suren pointed out, we tried Mobike's phone and SIM card within the first few days of QD selling it to him. Other BBs worked fine and his SIM worked fine in other phones. It seems the phone came to him with the problem. If so, QD should have warned him or given him a discount and not haggled with Mobike and stuck to his price. QD sounds like a dealer more than an enthusiast. He offers a 'holster' instead of a 'discount' lol this is the kind of language that a regular dealer uses.

All the above being said, no reason to lose faith in strangers, there might be a few bad apples but we do get decent guys too.

Cheers,
I agree that we all would haggle, but only give in for a good deal right? So what did I mention that does not inspire confidence? Taking him for a ride? Do I look like some wheeler dealer? I am not in the business of trading used phones my friend.

Err broken laws? If I know my rights correctly here he bought a second hand phone with no kind of manufacturer or dealer warrenty whatsoever. I think legally I am quite bulletproof. But if you were thinking that trying to scare someone by throwing legal jargon at him you choose the wrong guy man. I am surrounded by lawyers most of the time (not in that sense most of my good friends are lawyers) And they would laugh on the face of the guy who claims to be a lawyer and says I've broken laws!

I offered the holster because I had it with me and had no use for it (it wasnt new)

This has gone far enough, so unless you have something real to say about me and mobike's issue I suggest you keep it off the thread. No one has to tell the mods how to do their job. I requested them not to delete these posts so that people know about the TRUTH. And thats that, legal threats and useless rambling should be directed to my email address directly manav.arya(at)gmail.com Please do not waste precious server space or valuable mod time. If there is something real to add that brings any new facts to the table then please be my guest thats why I am here.

Quote:
Coming back on track.

I don't whether this is correct or wrong - I need your help guys.

Your handset Hardware PIN is already configured with the email addresses. The airtel.com address should stop working soon. Other then that try logging into hutch.blackberry.com and see if your login details work fine and if they do you dont have to change/configure anything.

Most Viewed