Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 19:43   #991
D-Man

@DerAlte: I agree but I wasnt sure if we were speaking about security to the extent you are.

@deathwalkr: Moto Q has battery issues. its a known issue

Old 5th June 2009, 21:18   #992
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Might be the same, but this post i was referring to:

EDIT: Yup he has given for AT&T whereas the link i provided shows for all available operators.
@Jaggu, I downloaded this AT&T software . It's 93.3 MB file which got downloaded in exactly 15 minutes

I seem to have forgotten how to upgrade this on my phone. It would be really helpful if you or someone else can provide a step-by-step guidance to upgrade this on my Blackberry Bold.
Old 5th June 2009, 21:35   #993
Senior - BHPian

I think the upgrading process is well explained somewhere on this thread itself. What I remember from my firmware upgrade is something like this: Once the desktop software has been installed, launch Blackberry Desktop Manager and connect your Bold via USB. When Desktop Manager starts, it will detect new software then ask you to upgrade. If it does - click yes, and wait. If there is NO popup asking to upgrade, just click Application Loader, and that should begin the software upgrade.

Most important thing one should remember is the desktop software upgraded first then connecting the handset for upgrade. Basic reason being, everything starts with the desktop manager. I hope this helps !

My Pearl is showing 'no network' at certain areas in the city. Its so frustrating to see this situation happening in the wide open city areas now. Earlier my SOS or all red bars issue was limited to huge concrete basements or thick concrete walled areas. Yesterday I went to RT Nagar (bangalore) and I could not make a single call for the 30 minutes I was around. Today I went to Malleswaram, I was out of coverage for over 2 hours ! This is actually getting into my nerves. Its already running on 4.5.0.37 firmware. I am sure this can be sorted out by firmware upgrade or downgrade. Checking some solutions. If someone has any tips, please feel free to suggest. Thanks !
Old 5th June 2009, 22:42   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the method i found to upgrade your OS on Bold :-

Instructions to Load this OS onto any carriers 9000:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

This process takes anywhere from 2--45 minutes. DO NOT UNPLUG the device until the loading operation is finished.If for some reason you get a white screen with a '507' Error or another error please see this guide on [COLOR=#615e99]How-To Recover a Bricked Berry[/COLOR]

Source : Newest OS: 9000 4.6.0.451/4.6.0.266 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Using the above methodology, i tried upgrading the AT&T software that i downloaded from the link Mohit and Jaggu provided.

I was shocked to see a message with 2 option check boxes, your device has latest app ( this was checked and recommend) and other option was less apps but still continue.

I chose the former and it just closed ( i mean it didnt upgrade since my device was already having a latest app or OS, whatever the heck that is)

I am totally confused now. I reckon will need to rely on the airtel folks to help me out
Old 5th June 2009, 23:55   #995
Team-BHP Support

Try second option (more like custom setup of yahoo messenger) and then you can reload the remaining aps during next sync/flash by checking on the list of aps you would like to add. So atleast you can rule out issue with firmware mismatch.

Most important make a back up of the device before you proceed. Ideally charge the battery full and remove the sim and memory card while flashing firmware's.

I think your firmware is upto date, only thing that needs to be ruled out, if there is anything very specific in the AT&T firmware wrt wireless radios, though i really doubt it.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th June 2009 at 23:58.
Old 6th June 2009, 03:30   #996
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Mobike also Go thru some threads on DEBRANDING ur blackberry on crackberry.com, this is done through an engg menu. Operators can restrict a lot of options on the phones and this menu can enable them i think. Maybe there is setting issue .....
Old 6th June 2009, 12:01   #997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Try second option (more like custom setup of yahoo messenger) and then you can reload the remaining aps during next sync/flash by checking on the list of aps you would like to add. So atleast you can rule out issue with firmware mismatch.

Most important make a back up of the device before you proceed. Ideally charge the battery full and remove the sim and memory card while flashing firmware's.

I think your firmware is upto date, only thing that needs to be ruled out, if there is anything very specific in the AT&T firmware wrt wireless radios, though i really doubt it.
Well, i dont want to try the second option, what if my phone gets screwed up further? Your right, seems like my firmware is update and i did back-up my data on the harddrive before trying this upgrade ( Thanks to Shaju, who helped me out on YM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Mobike also Go thru some threads on DEBRANDING ur blackberry on crackberry.com, this is done through an engg menu. Operators can restrict a lot of options on the phones and this menu can enable them i think. Maybe there is setting issue .....
Is this DEBRANDING stuff discussed on forum of crackberry? A link would be helpful.
Old 6th June 2009, 13:26   #998
Senior - BHPian

Display of 'SOS' and unexpected 'lost signal' was searched and discussed extensively many times here and many other forums. But so far nothing was a solution, inspite of trying different things. One of my US clients told me something very simple; "Pull out your battery, take out the SIM, push and make your SIM holder tight (the metal frame ). Keep the SIM back and make sure its tight fit, place the battery and switch it ON". I tried it yesterday, went out to many places, never saw 'SOS' again. Hope it solved the issue. I will be at different places in the city today and tomorow, checking the effect throughout. Will report back on Monday !
Old 6th June 2009, 18:16   #999
Senior - BHPian

mobike: sorry for the noob question - but does this upgrade bring any additional features to the BOLD? I am tempted but will hold my horses as i don't know what will happen to my BES/support after i upgrade unless there's anything significantly improved.
Old 7th June 2009, 11:44   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
mobike: sorry for the noob question - but does this upgrade bring any additional features to the BOLD? I am tempted but will hold my horses as i don't know what will happen to my BES/support after i upgrade unless there's anything significantly improved.
As you can see from my previous posts, i did not upgrade since my firmware showed that it was already an updated one. You can go ahead and upgrade to latest OS since you can always go back to your old one if your aren't happy just ensure you do back-up before trying that out.

I am currently on V4.6.0.247 and now i am thinking of going in for the V5.0. It's just that i need to find out if it's still a beta or the full version is released. What version you running?
Old 7th June 2009, 12:25   #1001
BHPian

I'm not able to find good free themes for my Bold.
can anyone help me with this

Thanks
Old 7th June 2009, 19:08   #1002
aZa
Senior - BHPian

yes mav tons of free themes available. hell i have the full set of elecite themes too will email u the details!!

untill then check out PimpMyBerry! - Pimp Your BlackBerry!

i have also made a feed page for berry fans Blackberry Bus STOP! - a Netvibes Universe

Last edited by aZa : 7th June 2009 at 19:09.
Old 8th June 2009, 13:08   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Display of 'SOS' and unexpected 'lost signal' ........................ "Pull out your battery, take out the SIM, push and make your SIM holder tight (the metal frame ). Keep the SIM back and make sure its tight fit, place the battery and switch it ON".
This worked for me. I have moved around the city many times during the weekend and I could never see SOS or red network bars anywhere. If by any chance, it pops up again, I will update here ! Till then its happy calling !
Old 9th June 2009, 11:30   #1004
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
This worked for me. I have moved around the city many times during the weekend and I could never see SOS or red network bars anywhere. If by any chance, it pops up again, I will update here ! Till then its happy calling !
Glad it worked for you Shaju. I gave my phone back to Airtel this morning and hopefully should get it back tomorrow with that software upgrade. Keeping my fingers crossed that upgrade should resolve the issue
Old 9th June 2009, 11:51   #1005
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am currently on V4.6.0.247 and now i am thinking of going in for the V5.0. It's just that i need to find out if it's still a beta or the full version is released. What version you running?
mine says = v4.6.0.126 (Platform 4.0.0.135)

Most Viewed