Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 19:02   #1246
BHPian

Thanx Manav,

Hmmm... I used to think that the USP of BlackBerry phones is their mail clients. But as you say that the default mail client won't work, and I'll have to use some third party client :-(

The reason I am going for Storm is I am sold on it's looks. I was in Chroma yesterday and really liked it's looks. I did a bit of googling and found that Bold is a much better device but 3 of my last 4 phones (E61, E71, Palm Treo 750) had had the same form factor, and I am kinda bored with it.

I do not plan to sell it before a year, so in that case resale value shouldn't suffer much, or will it?

I my other phones, I never had to configure MO, it used to get configured by itself. So I do not know any of these settings. Any idea where can I get these?

And what do you suggest? Should I go for Storm, or iPhone or N97 (but that'll stretch my budget)?

P.S. My usage are -

50% - Surfing
30% - Mailing
15% - Voice (I have another phone exclusively for voice calls, only family and friends call on this phone)
5% - A/V player

Thanks

Nitin

Last edited by ntomer : 20th August 2009 at 19:05.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:40   #1247
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Nitin yaar Storm 2 is just around the corner, plus the touchscreen on the storm is labour intensive. I'd say wait it out or bargain hard. Another thing if you get an annual contract from airtel then it will cost u around 500 per month.

I'm waiting for 3GS and/or Storm 2 to become available here too. Oh btw N97 is pretty good esp in white. but i am somehow bored of the nokia UI now.
Old 20th August 2009, 21:44   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
I'm waiting for 3GS and/or Storm 2 to become available here too.
Any idea on the expected 3G full swing operation in India ? That will be the day I will look for an upgrade from my Pearl 8120 !
Old 21st August 2009, 11:06   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Thanx Manav,

Hmmm... I used to think that the USP of BlackBerry phones is their mail clients. But as you say that the default mail client won't work, and I'll have to use some third party client :-(

The reason I am going for Storm is I am sold on it's looks. I was in Chroma yesterday and really liked it's looks. I did a bit of googling and found that Bold is a much better device but 3 of my last 4 phones (E61, E71, Palm Treo 750) had had the same form factor, and I am kinda bored with it.

I do not plan to sell it before a year, so in that case resale value shouldn't suffer much, or will it?

I my other phones, I never had to configure MO, it used to get configured by itself. So I do not know any of these settings. Any idea where can I get these?

And what do you suggest? Should I go for Storm, or iPhone or N97 (but that'll stretch my budget)?

P.S. My usage are -

50% - Surfing
30% - Mailing
15% - Voice (I have another phone exclusively for voice calls, only family and friends call on this phone)
5% - A/V player

Thanks

Nitin
Yes, unfortunately you will not be able to use the inbuilt email client and it would end up ruining your whole BB experience.

You should take a look at the new 8520 and the 8900 Javelin, although they have similar form factors. They will be a delight to use after some of the phones you've mentioned.

A year old Storm, sadly isnt on anyone's wish list right now. In a year you'll have to sell it for a price of a couple of auto mags .

You'll need to call AirTel customer care to get the setting, I dont remember correctly but I think the APN for airtel was airtelgprs.com. You can actually check the settings in your own phone right now and write them down.

I suggest you pick up a used storm (about 10k~15k) use it and sell it off when the storm2 comes out so that you dont suffer in terms of depreciation of a brand new phone.

If I can understand correctly I feel that you are planning to use this as your personal phone and have another cellphone as your business phone, I recommend that you use the BB as your primary (work) phone. It will fit much better there. Battery life would be a issue on the iPhone and the N97 is (ok ill be subtle here I've gotten into enough trouble already) something that I didnt like that much.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:50   #1250
BHPian

Pls No N97

Quote:
I'm waiting for 3GS and/or Storm 2 to become available here too. Oh btw N97 is pretty good esp in white. but i am somehow bored of the nokia UI now.
I have been using N97 for almost a month, trying various things to stick to it. I am a very patient guy, and if I could feel like throwing the phone out of the window, then imagine how pathetic it is. No amount of hard resetting or updating the firmware (twice, once from v10 to v11, then to v12) is solving any problem. The key lock won't unlock just when it should and is most needed. I will redirect you to a thread elsewhere by me, if you really wanna know the whole story.

My advice: Stay away from N97 probably at least until v30 is released.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:03   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I suggest you pick up a used storm (about 10k~15k) use it and sell it off when the storm2 comes out so that you dont suffer in terms of depreciation of a brand new phone.
This sounds like a good idea. Time to check-out ebay for good deals.

Quote:
If I can understand correctly I feel that you are planning to use this as your personal phone and have another cellphone as your business phone, I recommend that you use the BB as your primary (work) phone. It will fit much better there. Battery life would be a issue on the iPhone and the N97 is (ok ill be subtle here I've gotten into enough trouble already) something that I didnt like that much.
My work-phone is a N73, and I use that exclusively for voice calls; for mails and surfing I use the smart-phone. Any idea by when Storm 2 is expected (I really liked the Storm's looks, and gotta have it :-) )

\N
Old 21st August 2009, 14:09   #1252
BHPian

Hey, how good is HTC Touch HD? It is available on ebay for 34K (with bill and 1 year's manufacturer warranty), throw in a 1K voucher and I'll get it for 33K. How good is this deal?

\N
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:52   #1253
BHPian

Got a BB 8520 from HotSpot in Dwarka today. Airtel lock for 15k, the cheapest i found. it is coming with a 2 gb card and a free skin (I got a violet one as the other was yellow :-(). Though there is no leather pouch. Any idea how much a original cost and where to get it. I am a first time BB user moving from Nokia 5800, wish me luck.
Old 22nd August 2009, 22:02   #1254
BHPian

My BB services are yet to be activated from my office, How do you configure gprs on BB. I have Mobile office activated on my no.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:12   #1255
aZa
Senior - BHPian

welcome to the blackberry world ritayan

You would not need mobile office APN anymore so you can disconnect the mobile office service. BIS has it all.

for accessories check Fommy India #1 Store for Mobile Phones, BlackBerry, Treo, Bluetooth, Nokia, iPod, Motorola, Samsung & Cell Phone Accessories
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:31   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
welcome to the blackberry world ritayan

You would not need mobile office APN anymore so you can disconnect the mobile office service. BIS has it all.

for accessories check Fommy India #1 Store for Mobile Phones, BlackBerry, Treo, Bluetooth, Nokia, iPod, Motorola, Samsung & Cell Phone Accessories
Thanks aZa, mine is a corporate connection so I guess I will have to wait till it gets activated. Fommy is good, I have logged in already.
Old 24th August 2009, 14:37   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

I finally got to lay hands on my new HP Pavilion Laptop this weekend. However, i have a problem in pairing my Bold via. bluetooth to it.

The laptop nor the phone is able to identify each other as i get a "no device" found message despite going to bluetooth options in Laptop and adding device and doing the same with phone as well.

Any pointers?
Old 24th August 2009, 20:58   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I finally got to lay hands on my new HP Pavilion Laptop this weekend. However, i have a problem in pairing my Bold via. bluetooth to it.

The laptop nor the phone is able to identify each other as i get a "no device" found message despite going to bluetooth options in Laptop and adding device and doing the same with phone as well.

Any pointers?
Congrats on the new Laptop, what OS are you running. Win 7 has a problem where you need to manually assign the drivers. Also make the phone discoverable permanent rather than 2 min as I was also getting the same problem in the 2 min thing
Old 24th August 2009, 21:08   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Hey, how good is HTC Touch HD? It is available on ebay for 34K (with bill and 1 year's manufacturer warranty), throw in a 1K voucher and I'll get it for 33K. How good is this deal?

\N
I think that question would belong in the general mobile phone discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
My BB services are yet to be activated from my office, How do you configure gprs on BB. I have Mobile office activated on my no.
Make sure you dont have MO and BB active at the same time, they are two different things. You'll end up paying necessary rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Any pointers?
If you're running win7 I have no idea, but you have to put the BB into "Discoverable" mode even after pairing.

BB Key > Connections > Set Up Bluetooth > Listen

Guys I was planning to make a little guide, because lots of the questions being asked here are repeated. I needed a little help. I wanted the BB helpline numbers for all the OP's except Vodafone (55666) and I would love to compile everything together. I would love to know about any special plan's you get (my boss has a 600ish corporate plan from AirTel) and BSNL has BB services on PrePaid. Would like to know helpline numbers of CDMA providers as well.
Old 24th August 2009, 21:13   #1260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Congrats on the new Laptop, what OS are you running. Win 7 has a problem where you need to manually assign the drivers. Also make the phone discoverable permanent rather than 2 min as I was also getting the same problem in the 2 min thing
Thanks, its running on Vista and not Win 7. What is this about 2 min thing? Can you elaborate?

Quote:
If you're running win7 I have no idea, but you have to put the BB into "Discoverable" mode even after pairing.

BB Key > Connections > Set Up Bluetooth > Listen
I am running Vista. Let me try this way again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks