Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 15:39   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I upgraded to the stable 5.0 today and am totally loving it! Threaded SMS, lovely icons, new interface and so much more. Have to play around with it to see how it works out for me will keep you guys posted on this one.
Which OS version do you have?
Mine is running on 4.6.1.133 and not able to install BBM 5.0
Old 1st September 2009, 16:00   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, it would help if someone can point me to a place where i can download the stable version of 5.0 for my Bold
Old 1st September 2009, 17:08   #1308
aZa
Senior - BHPian

guys stable version of 5.0 allows facebook and twitter ?
Old 1st September 2009, 18:14   #1309
BHPian

Guys I am on Airtel BB 299 plan. apart from mail and messenger what else can I get. Can I get facebook?
Old 1st September 2009, 18:22   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Facebook is not working on my Vodafone 299 plan, so I think Airtel might have the same limitations too !
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:38   #1311
Team-BHP Support

here is the download for blackberry messenger 5
BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 Desktop & OTA Download Links | PocketBerry
Old 2nd September 2009, 01:34   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
guys stable version of 5.0 allows facebook and twitter ?
Facebook is at the verge of launch and it looks so so much slicker!

FaceBook 1.7 Coming Soon, Bringing OS 5.0 Compatability With It? | CrackBerry.com

And twitterberry on my 8900 with 5.0 works like a absolute charm! What twitter client are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Guys I am on Airtel BB 299 plan. apart from mail and messenger what else can I get. Can I get facebook?
Actually sadly no, and most of the OEM Apps will not work over WiFi. Thats a limitation with BB, but you can always push your provider with hate mail and ask them to launch a Rs 500 unlimited plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, it would help if someone can point me to a place where i can download the stable version of 5.0 for my Bold
Here you go! Dont forget to delete the Vendor.xml file

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
My friend wants to purchase BB Curve. He has some query on BB:

1. Are these BB's SIM locked?
2. Can he use his existing Vodafone prepaid connection?
3. If unlocked by after market, will he void the warranty on the BB?
4. How much the BB curve cost?
5. Would you suggest the after market one's?
6. Do we have any dedicated BB outlet?
7. Who warrants the BB's?
1. Depends (you get both locked and unlocked units)
2. Yes, absolutely!
3. Depends again, check some of my earlier posts on the subject.
4. Which curve the 83xx or the 8900?
5. I did not quite understand the question.
6. Yes! Its sold officially at all chroma and major mobile phone stores.
7. If bought from AirTel, Vodafone its them, if bought unlocked Redington India (on behalf of RIM) if bought by grey market usually its the dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
Most of the time when I use my browser on my blackberry, it pops up a message saying "The XML is not well-formed"

7070 (Airtel BB customer care) has no idea what this even means. Trying to see if anyone else had this problem and how they have rectified it.

This is the error screen that pops up

edit - Using OS v4.6.0.282 (Platform 4.0.0.235)
Did you try turning Javascript off?
Try unchecking (enable embedded media) in the browser > options > browser config and also ensure the identification is set to Blackberry

Also clear your browser cache. Even though alternatives exist, it should work fine. Let me know if this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I always go through the tougher road when it comes to such things be it a phone, body building supplement, a new car, always the bitter path ! Now I am getting used to it. I hope I am not paying 274 Rs. for something thats available for 100 Rs. locally !
Sad truth of life, but if we dont fall down how will we know how to get up? Just make sure you PIN me the next time you're buying any BB stuff and you'll be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Which OS version do you have?
Mine is running on 4.6.1.133 and not able to install BBM 5.0
Why installing just the messenger bro, go in for the whole OS upgrade. Its official leaked one and its stable I've been using it.

Here's the download link : MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:34   #1313
JVH
Senior - BHPian

quickdraw,

Have you had a dekho at 8520? The reason I'm asking is you have an 8900 curve (Javelin right?) and I'm planning to upgrade to either 8520 or 8900. Is it worth spending extra 5k odd on 8900?
Old 2nd September 2009, 09:49   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Did you try turning Javascript off?
Try unchecking (enable embedded media) in the browser > options > browser config and also ensure the identification is set to Blackberry

Also clear your browser cache. Even though alternatives exist, it should work fine. Let me know if this helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to be working. The browser keeps going back to Airtel Live no matter how many times I change it to Internet Explorer.

I am talking about the first option in Browser Config and not the Browser Identification.
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:03   #1315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Why installing just the messenger bro, go in for the whole OS upgrade. Its official leaked one and its stable I've been using it.

Here's the download link : MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
downloaded and installed 5 on my comp. wanted to check one thing. will the applications i have now work with it? google maps, facebook and windows live messenger?
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:40   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

One quick question.. I have to get myself a BB. I am confused weather to get 8310 [approx. 12.5k] or 8520. I am a vodafone customer and was told that 8520 is available only on AIRTEL. Is there any possible way to unlock it, cuz i really liked the phone compared to 8310/8320, both look same and outdated.

Also if unlocked will it void warranty?

Please advise. One more thing my budget is max 16k, so thinking of other BB's in league is out of question for me. Nokia recently got the push email service and which works pretty decently. So if not BB then E63 is the phone for me i guess.
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:42   #1317
BHPian

thanks for the link quickdraw.

now, gtalk isnt working anymore. so i am assuming none of the apps are built for the 5.0
if yes, which ones are readily compatible?
Old 2nd September 2009, 20:04   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
quickdraw,

Have you had a dekho at 8520? The reason I'm asking is you have an 8900 curve (Javelin right?) and I'm planning to upgrade to either 8520 or 8900. Is it worth spending extra 5k odd on 8900?
I did play around with it at chroma, I have to say I really liked it over my 8900. I initially thought that I wouldnt feel so much at home on the optical trackpad thing. But I was actually quite at home on it. And the biggest added bonus is that it will never fade or need to be changed. Even though the 8900 uses the Black trackball thats supposed to be design to resist such issues. I feel that at times it does clog up a bit. And then again its a personal thing a friend of mine said the tactility with the trackball is better. But given a choice I would want to shift to a trackpad anyday. The reason that I didnt buy it yet is because it doesnt have GPS and I am a big time GPS nut, and moreso my 8900 will heavily depereciate if I sell it now. I just made myself happy by buying some stuff for the curve and satisfying my gadget cravings. Honestly if you dont need the GPS (Google maps works great with A-GPS) I think you should definately go in for the 8520 its a fantastic product at a amazing price point!

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't seem to be working. The browser keeps going back to Airtel Live no matter how many times I change it to Internet Explorer.

I am talking about the first option in Browser Config and not the Browser Identification.
Can you post a link to that page here? I would love to try it out and see myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
downloaded and installed 5 on my comp. wanted to check one thing. will the applications i have now work with it? google maps, facebook and windows live messenger?
Like I mentioned before most of the Apps work fine, the only thing is 1.7 facebook isnt out yet. But will be out very very soon. All the other apps that you might use (like messengers, Google Maps) work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

One quick question.. I have to get myself a BB. I am confused weather to get 8310 [approx. 12.5k] or 8520. I am a vodafone customer and was told that 8520 is available only on AIRTEL. Is there any possible way to unlock it, cuz i really liked the phone compared to 8310/8320, both look same and outdated.

Also if unlocked will it void warranty?

Please advise. One more thing my budget is max 16k, so thinking of other BB's in league is out of question for me. Nokia recently got the push email service and which works pretty decently. So if not BB then E63 is the phone for me i guess.
Get the 8520 it can be unlocked easily. Its simply far superior to the 83xx series Curve.

Quote:
thanks for the link quickdraw.

now, gtalk isnt working anymore. so i am assuming none of the apps are built for the 5.0
if yes, which ones are readily compatible?
Reinstall GTalk, it should work fine. Most of the Apps except Facebook are already in place. Its just a matter of a couple of days. Its gonna be out soon!
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:15   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Like I mentioned before most of the Apps work fine, the only thing is 1.7 facebook isnt out yet. But will be out very very soon. All the other apps that you might use (like messengers, Google Maps) work fine.

i read somewhere that bbm 5 dosent work on os5 thats why i asked this question.
Old 2nd September 2009, 21:21   #1320
BHPian

can someone help me with google map jar file, i don't have a data plan

Most Viewed